GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Getting rid of Stoner was a huge deal. Again, I hate to be this guy but my source close to ownership told me they didn’t want a player who wasn’t going to be able to play on the books and they made that clear to BM. With that in mind, I can’t blame him that much although in a perfect world we keep Theo there. Was probably the only way to get rid of Stoner though That’s why I think Kesler situation will be interesting
This is absurd, it actually shows how little ownership knows about the talent in their organization if they're willing to lose a top prospect to save some money. If they weren't on board to buy out Bieksa for instance, in order to preserve a talented player then they really aren't invested in winning

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
This is absurd, it actually shows how little ownership knows about the talent in their organization if they're willing to lose a top prospect to save some money. If they weren't on board to buy out Bieksa for instance, in order to preserve a talented player then they really aren't invested in winning
Of course not, we should have known that since we've been a budget team. They are interested in making money first and foremost, if we win that's just a cherry on top.

GiveYouABagOfPucks

Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys was wondering with all of these borderline nhl fa signings coupled with raises for our rfas if GMBM is getting us right to the cap before the season so he can make the most out of an LTIR Kesler situation. This also stacks the SD roster for us and BM can send the guys back and forth like last year to SD for flexibility. Cap friendly had us with roughly 9mil in space. Rfas Ritchie Mountour Kase and Welinski should eat up most of that right?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Hey guys was wondering with all of these borderline nhl fa signings coupled with raises for our rfas if GMBM is getting us right to the cap before the season so he can make the most out of an LTIR Kesler situation. This also stacks the SD roster for us and BM can send the guys back and forth like last year to SD for flexibility. Cap friendly had us with roughly 9mil in space. Rfas Ritchie Mountour Kase and Welinski should eat up most of that right?

No, mainly because no one knows if there is a LTIR situation with Kesler or ever will be. It's essentially over $10 million in space to sign three guys and I'd be very surprised if they took up all of it.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
And to me it is quite funny to see. Some poster demand big FA signigs and criticise Bob for being inactive. Those are the same that complain about free agent contacts all the time. Stoner for instance was a classic free agent signment. They want Ennis and Duclair but complain about Ritchie and depth D who hinder our prospects.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except this one part, specifically about Ennis and Duclair. I think it's fair to be critical about Ennis and Duclair given that they have proven that they can produce secondary scoring which we are in dire need of imo. Furthermore they play positions of need and came at a cheaper cost and shorter term than guys like Rowney. Rowney alone cost almost as much as both of those combined and at 2 extra years of term. Hopefully there's something there that we aren't seeing but to cost as much as two guys who have broken 40 points? Add on 2 extra years of term and the comparison starts to seem heavily one sided.

In terms of F signings we spent 3.63m on Gibbons, Rowney, Street, and Rodin. With that kind of money, I feel like GMBM could have gotten some decent secondary scoring. If he's going for cheap depth, why not go for depth that has proven they can provide what we need, especially when they come at a cheaper cost?

All that being said, ultimately we're all just armchair GMs here so to say we know better would be hubris. Perhaps GMBM sees something we don't or prioritizes other traits over secondary scoring. (Insert joke about GRIT here). At the end of the day, I think GMBM is doing the right thing and that's doing a rebuild while we transition from the Twins era to our next generation. (Is rebuild the right term here?)

ZzZz

Dec 22, 2017
I agree with pretty much everything you said except this one part, specifically about Ennis and Duclair. I think it's fair to be critical about Ennis and Duclair given that they have proven that they can produce secondary scoring which we are in dire need of imo. Furthermore they play positions of need and came at a cheaper cost and shorter term than guys like Rowney. Rowney alone cost almost as much as both of those combined and at 2 extra years of term. Hopefully there's something there that we aren't seeing but to cost as much as two guys who have broken 40 points? Add on 2 extra years of term and the comparison starts to seem heavily one sided.

In terms of F signings we spent 3.63m on Gibbons, Rowney, Street, and Rodin. With that kind of money, I feel like GMBM could have gotten some decent secondary scoring. If he's going for cheap depth, why not go for depth that has proven they can provide what we need, especially when they come at a cheaper cost?

All that being said, ultimately we're all just armchair GMs here so to say we know better would be hubris. Perhaps GMBM sees something we don't or prioritizes other traits over secondary scoring. (Insert joke about GRIT here). At the end of the day, I think GMBM is doing the right thing and that's doing a rebuild while we transition from the Twins era to our next generation. (Is rebuild the right term here?)

I believe a teams most expensive 23 contracts are counted towards the cap, so Rowney should only increase the Ducks cap hit by about 300,000 since his contract would be replaced by the next most expensive contract towards the cap if he weren't on the roster. So far this off season has just been a handful of no risk/low reward signings.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I certainly don't agree with their outlook on things like that, but it's reality. They are not interested in paying someone who isn't going to return. Despres is another example.

if they feel there is a way to get rid of some deadweight money, expect them to do it.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I certainly don't agree with their outlook on things like that, but it's reality. They are not interested in paying someone who isn't going to return. Despres is another example.

if they feel there is a way to get rid of some deadweight money, expect them to do it.
Will be really interesting to see what they want to do with Kesler then.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think the standard with Bruce was that he was never gonna win a game 7 and that's a bit of an issue, but what I was referring to was the number of guys here who probably wish we just kept Bruce knowing how things turned out. Basically, firing a good manager because he ran out of time often is a very bad move.

Also, rereading one of your earlier posts, his leash should've been up a while ago? Even if I completely disagree and think it isnt well thought out, I at least somewhat understand people turning on Murray now. But years ago?

Yes, years ago. IMO, if you decide to fire Bruce, Murray should have been fired the same offseason. People tend to fixate on the game 7 losses and basically say that Bruce choked. However, if you look at the teams that Bruce had those years, I think he did better with them then most coaches would have. I only think one of those rosters was a definitely "cup favorite" and that was the WCF loss to Chicago team. Even that team could have used more depth. Nate Thompson was our 3rd line center going into the playoffs for example. So basically I don't agree with the general thinking around here that Bruce choked with cup contending teams. With one, yes. However, the other years I think he got more out of the roster than most coaches would (like Gallant did with Vegas last year). IMO, Murray's rosters he put together were just as much of a part of not winning the cup as Bruce's coaching. I absolutely feel the GM should get longer tenure then the coach, and Murray has.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Becaus a GM is not a coach and different aspects matter. It is not just the game alone. Trust by ownership is huge, financial management, the affiliates, managing the front office. The draft. A GM can not be judged like a coach.

Agreed, but I don't think it's fair to accept "very good" but not great from a coach, and not the gm. Seems wrong to hold them to different standards to me.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
So Noeson just signed a one year deal for 1.75mm. Wagner a 2 year deal worth 1.25 and Smith-Pelly a one year 1 mil deal after winning the Cup. Sure looks like that would have been a very good 4th line in Anaheim at a fair price.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Happy for Noesen but this would have never been a 4th line here. Wags got moved around, DSP as well. They took advantage of an opportunity that wasn't there in Anaheim. Thought Noesen wasn't on the fourth in NJ.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
All of those players had ample opportunity here and all of them did little with it.

Wagner and DSP never consistently put effort on the ice and noesen was just a tweener.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
All of those players had ample opportunity here and all of them did little with it.

Wagner and DSP never consistently put effort on the ice and noesen was just a tweener.
I would say Noesen was never given ample opportunity here. Only played 14 games total in a Ducks sweater. It's unfortunate his time with us came to an end when it did because we could have used him last year. The 2016-2017 team was too stacked for him to make an impact probably. but you're right about the other two.

1.75 seems high for him at first glance but he has been scoring at a 15 goal per 82 game pace since he joined the Devils. If he keeps that up, he's easily worth that money

Reactions: Beretta 390
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't know, it's kinda crazy Noesen is nearly a $2 mil player now. Seems high.

I dont think it is, depth guys are starting to catch up in salary now. Even if hes just a fourth liner, if he's good in that role, I'd say that's pretty good value. You probably can't be too excessive with it, but IMO if you get a good fourth liner for under $2 million, that's probably a win.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Those guys are either going to crack the roster this year or they will be gone pretty soon. Running out of time and options. I hope they are all given a fair crack at it, and are not automatically put behind the guys Murray brought in this offseason

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Those guys are either going to crack the roster this year or they will be gone pretty soon. Running out of time and options. I hope they are all given a fair crack at it, and are not automatically put behind the guys Murray brought in this offseason
I agree - Kossila moreso than Roy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope kossila gets an extended look at 3c or 4c... assuming keslers out

Roy will likely not get a look unless we have injuries, our wingers going into the season right now that are basically locks if health are(not specific order/line up)
line 1: Rakell / Perry
line 2: Kase / Eaves
line 3: Cogs Silf
line 4: Ritchie and I guess that last spot is prob up for grabs.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I hope kossila gets an extended look at 3c or 4c... assuming keslers out

Roy will likely not get a look unless we have injuries, our wingers going into the season right now that are basically locks if health are(not specific order/line up)
line 1: Rakell / Perry
line 2: Kase / Eaves
line 3: Cogs Silf
line 4: Ritchie and I guess that last spot is prob up for grabs.
I see no reason why Roy shouldn't be in a fair battle with Gibbons, Rowney, or whoever else for that last spot in training camp.

Actually, I do: BM and RC.

I'm not saying he should be pencilled in, but he should be given every opportunity to win that job, and if you have to healthy scratch a veteran because he turned out to be a better option, so be it.

Kossila obviously should be on the team and frankly he should have been playing in the playoffs last year over Vermette, Brown, or whatever other scrub we tried.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I see no reason why Roy shouldn't be in a fair battle with Gibbons, Rowney, or whoever else for that last spot in training camp.

Actually, I do: BM and RC.

I'm not saying he should be pencilled in, but he should be given every opportunity to win that job, and if you have to healthy scratch a veteran because he turned out to be a better option, so be it.

Kossila obviously should be on the team and frankly he should have been playing in the playoffs last year over Vermette, Brown, or whatever other scrub we tried.
pretty much... I like roy, he adds some creativity/offensive and seems to work hard when hes on the ice... and id like to say he could make the roster but I just don't see it specially with BM/RC at the helm(or if eaves isn't back right away)
As for kossila I feel like he got shafted last season and deserved to get an extended trial.

So many question marks with the line up going into this season... but at least we have a lot of options.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
So Noeson just signed a one year deal for 1.75mm. Wagner a 2 year deal worth 1.25 and Smith-Pelly a one year 1 mil deal after winning the Cup. Sure looks like that would have been a very good 4th line in Anaheim at a fair price.

Nothing we can do about DSP. It took several years and 3 teams to make him put in the effort to be an every day player.

Losing Noeson for nothing was stupid though.

I agree about Wags. I think he was one of the better 4th liners we had, and we traded him for ass. He wasn't even that good of a player, but much better than what we had. I thought he was clearly better than Brown and 10x better than Chimera.

DSP, yes. Noeson? No, not at all. To be fair, injuries were a big part of that, but I don't agree that he was given ample opportunity. Wagner was, but it's odd to see him traded when he was better than the other 4th liners we had.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Roy's deal is interesting. only 70k in minors but 874k in NHL. Whereas the Kosslia and Welinski got 125k in minors but small NHL averages. Looks like Roy is betting on himself; I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->