GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Getting rid of Stoner was a huge deal. Again, I hate to be this guy but my source close to ownership told me they didn’t want a player who wasn’t going to be able to play on the books and they made that clear to BM. With that in mind, I can’t blame him that much although in a perfect world we keep Theo there. Was probably the only way to get rid of Stoner though That’s why I think Kesler situation will be interesting

Reactions: Trojans86

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Now now boys and girls, no need to make things personal. We're all on the same team here. :thumbu:

As far as GMBM is concerned, I think he's definitely one of the better GMs. He makes smart/safe signings but like all GMs, he has his fair share of headscratchers too. That being said, I'll happily take GMBM over many GMs out there. Rakell is on arguably one of the best contracts in the NHL. After all, we could be stuck with guys like Chiarelli or Bergevin. :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Imagine being stuck with Chiarelli or Bergevin and having Melnyk as our owner...

Or being stuck with Dorion and having Melnyk as an owner. Poor Sens fans.

Murray isn’t a bottom 10 guy but he’s not one of the best either. I would have him in the 10-15 spot. Great at drafting and at signing RFAs. Pretty bad at asset management and has more bad than good UFA signings.

Reactions: Trojans86

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
It’s simple imo. Murray is a very good GM. However, eventually even good GM’s run out of time. He fired a coach who was very good for not reaching next level. He should be held to same standards.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
the main "problem" with GMBM is that Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, and Eaves all got old and the window closed. Now the most important thing to do is gracefully and intelligently begin transitioning to the next core. How well he does that will be his real legacy for current and future fans.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Or being stuck with Dorion and having Melnyk as an owner. Poor Sens fans.

Murray isn’t a bottom 10 guy but he’s not one of the best either. I would have him in the 10-15 spot. Great at drafting and at signing RFAs. Pretty bad at asset management and has more bad than good UFA signings.

I don't think those last two points are at all true. Maybe the UFA one but even that's pretty iffy if you don't blatantly ignore half of them. You're also not dealing with much of a sample, but even then, I'm guessing it's even at the very worst.

Edit-Nah I take the UFA one back. He's had some good signings and ultimately almost all of them are inconsequential but you're probably right that theres more bad than good. Especially forgot about some of those early years defensemen he signed.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It’s not an endorsement. Imo, Murray should have been fired already. I’d argue his leash should have been up a while ago but the Carlyle experiment/failure should easily have been the last straw.

I know it wasn't actually, but you compared it to firing Boudreau, which I'm guessing completely submarined your own argument.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Getting rid of Stoner was a huge deal. Again, I hate to be this guy but my source close to ownership told me they didn’t want a player who wasn’t going to be able to play on the books and they made that clear to BM. With that in mind, I can’t blame him that much although in a perfect world we keep Theo there. Was probably the only way to get rid of Stoner though That’s why I think Kesler situation will be interesting

Nice, they got their wish, and with the cap savings Bob was able to lock down an extension for noted iron man Patrick Eaves who definitely wasn't on the books while not playing through the entire ensuing season.

Gonna be fun to see what treats Bob has to throw away to get another GM to pick up Kesler's contract if he can't play.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I know it wasn't actually, but you compared it to firing Boudreau, which I'm guessing completely submarined your own argument.

Not really sure what you’re getting at. I think Bob’s an excellent gm. I also thought Bruce was an excellent coach. I wasn’t upset about Bruce being fired. I just don’t understand why Bob isn’t held to same standards (where very good isn’t enough) that Bruce was (standards set by Murray).

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Not really sure what you’re getting at. I think Bob’s an excellent gm. I also thought Bruce was an excellent coach. I wasn’t upset about Bruce being fired. I just don’t understand why Bob isn’t held to same standards (where very good isn’t enough) that Bruce was (standards set by Murray).

I think the standard with Bruce was that he was never gonna win a game 7 and that's a bit of an issue, but what I was referring to was the number of guys here who probably wish we just kept Bruce knowing how things turned out. Basically, firing a good manager because he ran out of time often is a very bad move.

Also, rereading one of your earlier posts, his leash should've been up a while ago? Even if I completely disagree and think it isnt well thought out, I at least somewhat understand people turning on Murray now. But years ago?

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I said it several times. Every GM in the league makes huge mistakes, obviously, from a future perspective. A GM stays as long as ownership trusts him and Bob is a good GM with plenty of trust from the Samuelis. This is a better combination than most teams have. He is now in an age where he will not do it for so much longer and I really hope the Ducks will get a solid one afterwards.

And to me it is quite funny to see. Some poster demand big FA signigs and criticise Bob for being inactive. Those are the same that complain about free agent contacts all the time. Stoner for instance was a classic free agent signment. They want Ennis and Duclair but complain about Ritchie and depth D who hinder our prospects.

In the end of the day, they will have their reasons not liking our management and it's ok but they're turning minor things into big
ones. I do still like the Ducks management. We have one of the better ones. I'm old enough to know this franchise from day one.

Last edited:

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

Becaus a GM is not a coach and different aspects matter. It is not just the game alone. Trust by ownership is huge, financial management, the affiliates, managing the front office. The draft. A GM can not be judged like a coach.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The Bob Murray blueprint for success - try and copy the teams who made it to the final in the previous year.
Not sure I want to blame him. At least he`s not like Habs GM :laugh:

In my mind, GMBM deserves some blame, but he still is certainly above average GM in my book

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
So to sum it up. We have an above average/excellent GM. Let's sack him to likely get a weaker one?

I assume all teams want a good GM. Obviously they are not easy found.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
So to sum it up. We have an above average/excellent GM. Let's sack him to likely get a weaker one?

I assume all teams want a good GM. Obviously they are not easy found.

Good coaches get fired all the time because they've simply run their course. It's same for GM's and even though I think Murray is one of the better GM's today, I wouldn't mind if they brought someone new. Murray has had plenty of time to get the team over the hump and has failed to do so. Re-hiring of Carlyle also didn't sit well with me. I think Samuelis love him though, so I'd be very surprised if he gets fired in the near future.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
IMO GMBM is a good GM (would have even said great a couple years ago). I just think the samueli‘s make his job nearly impossible.

Every GM makes mistakes, even the great ones. Having an ownership group that will use their pocketbooks to minimize those mistakes (buying out a bad contract, firing a coach with term on their contract, ect) makes all the difference. GMBM has to operate under different parameters than many GM’s, which unfortunately make it that much more difficult for the Ducks to compete.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Good coaches get fired all the time because they've simply run their course. It's same for GM's and even though I think Murray is one of the better GM's today, I wouldn't mind if they brought someone new. Murray has had plenty of time to get the team over the hump and has failed to do so. Re-hiring of Carlyle also didn't sit well with me. I think Samuelis love him though, so I'd be very surprised if he gets fired in the near future.

GMs and coaches aren't really comparable in that sense. When coaches get fired for running their course, its almost always because they've been around a long time and just lost the players. Theres really no equivalent for GMs.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
GMs and coaches aren't really comparable in that sense. When coaches get fired for running their course, its almost always because they've been around a long time and just lost the players. Theres really no equivalent for GMs.

True, but when GM's insist on keeping a coach that has lost the players (reference Game 3 vs. Sharks), then they have run their course. Assuming bring RC back was Murray's decision.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
True, but when GM's insist on keeping a coach that has lost the players (reference Game 3 vs. Sharks), then they have run their course. Assuming bring RC back was Murray's decision.

I'm not quite as ready to say hes lost the players, especially when it's based on basically one playoff game. Like sure, it was a really bad two periods, but that sort of happens with this group, I'm not really sure it was much of an indicator of anything.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm not quite as ready to say hes lost the players, especially when it's based on basically one playoff game. Like sure, it was a really bad two periods, but that sort of happens with this group, I'm not really sure it was much of an indicator of anything.

OK, but it sure looked like they quit to me.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
OK, but it sure looked like they quit to me.

Yeah but I think theres a pretty big difference between quitting and being done with a coach and quitting on a game, which has happened numerous times with the twins. Hell, all three(Getz, Perry, RC) were a part of an embarrassing game where the team quit on the way to winning the cup(actually arguably two of those!), happened last year as well. I dunno, just something I've become accustomed to with Getzlaf and Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad