GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Ottawa is liable to get more in return for EK if it trades him to a team for which he is willing to sign an 8 year extension than if it trades him as a one year rental. Therefore, if I am Ottawa I would let EK negotiate and then see what kind of offer I get from the "winning" team. Ottawa is liable to not do well out of the trade regardless, since it is almost impossible to replace someone of EK's abilities. But getting as much as possible, even if it isn't great, is the best that Ottawa can do at this point in time.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The Sens need to pick the best deal out there real soon and take it. The longer they wait, the less options they will have. As the summer moves on, teams will fill their rosters and no longer have the flexibility they have now. If Dorion thinks the offers aren't good enough now, wait until more teams drop out.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'm not anymore. It's clear he is orchestrating the trade for himself somewhat using the extension as his leverage. If he wanted to play here and was willing to extend for the duration with Anaheim then I'd be pissed at Murray for not at least being 'in on it'. If he was open to a trade to Anaheim as a one year rental and the price wasn't totally absurd to get him I'd be pissed at Murray for not pulling the trigger. However it's pretty clear he has only a few teams in mind that he would want to extend 8 years for and those are the only teams really in the discussions. Ottawa doesn't seem open to trading him as a one year rental and he doesn't seem open to signing long term with anyone except a small handful of teams, so it's whatever.

I just want to see the matter resolved because it'll be huge news to read about and may spark some additional trade deals throughout the league, and I hope for Sens fans they get a huge return and a new owner soon.
I hope they get Heisekenen from Dallas or Serchevav guy from Tampa.
It sounds like they'll get Honka & a bunch of junk from Dallas though.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not surprised at all that we are not in on Karlsson.

That said after numerous playoff losses Murray has cited that our issue is no elite number one D and complains that those guys never come available. Well now one is available... it would be nice to know we were at least trying to make it work.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
How come those new, hard nosed, SoCal hockey writers from the Athletic aren't grilling Bob on where he stands on EK?

I'm also wondering where all the people are who last season commented quite a bit about needing someone who can drive play. Kind of surprised really how many people just accepted that adding Karlsson wasn't possible and stayed out of the conversation. Not saying this ever was possible but for a few days there we didn't really know any of the details around it, just that talks of moving him were picking up.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm also wondering where all the people are who last season commented quite a bit about needing someone who can drive play. Kind of surprised really how many people just accepted that adding Karlsson wasn't possible and stayed out of the conversation. Not saying this ever was possible but for a few days there we didn't really know any of the details around it, just that talks of moving him were picking up.

I think anybody who has followed the team since Henry took over, knows it's a budget team and we just aren't in on those kind of deals. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. Of course, when an opportunity like this does come up it puts Bob in the difficult position of explaining his comments of being so interested in a player like that but then not being involved. That's when it would be nice to have local media put the screws to Bob and make him explain himself. But we all know that isn't happening either.

Reactions: Duck Off

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I’m not surprised at all that we are not in on Karlsson.

That said after numerous playoff losses Murray has cited that our issue is no elite number one D and complains that those guys never come available. Well now one is available... it would be nice to know we were at least trying to make it work.

If we wanted to be in on something like this, then we should have traded Fowler before he got his latest contract.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we wanted to be in on something like this, then we should have traded Fowler before he got his latest contract.

Or move him in any potential deal. The basically full NTC (think he has a 3 team trade list) he was given prevents any chance of that happening though.

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
Bob Murray never does anything proactive. No chance we were ever involved in Karlsson. The only way we give up prospects is waiving them or trading them for pennies on the dollar after their trade value has dried up.

Reactions: nilssont and Tony O

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
wait, people actually thought we'd get EK?

hahaha

We do need someone that can drive the play, but many of us knew that with the contracts in place, that's basically impossible. In regards to EK specifically, it was extremely far fetched from the beginning. For one, there's no way we take Ryan's contract, period. Two, Perry would obviously have to go the other way and whyin the heck would he waive his NMC to go to that shit show? In the off chance that he would, why would the cash strapped Sens take him back when other teams don't have to send a bad contract back? Not to mention we have a GM who's never been the guy to outbid other teams for trades. So it's not that we didn't want EK, just knew that it's a 1 in a million chance based on variables we can't change.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Bob Murray never does anything proactive. No chance we were ever involved in Karlsson. The only way we give up prospects is waiving them or trading them for pennies on the dollar after their trade value has dried up.

Aha, that's why the guys on TSN call Bob an aggressive GM. Because he isn't proactive.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
What the **** is this? Why weren't we in on him?
murray_bob.0.jpg

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
duclair 1 yr/650k to CBJ

was really hoping the ducks signed him

Him and Ennis. I would have liked both or either of those signings over any of the other guys we picked up in FA so far. At least they would be addressing positions of need. We could have had both of those for the money we paid Rowney or Sustr and for 2 less years each.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Someone want to explain to me why Rowney deserves almost twice as much as Duclair on a multi year deal? For the record, not sad at all we didn’t get Duclair but would 10x rather have him at that contract than Rowney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad