GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2

What grade would you give the Capitals off-season?

• A

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • B

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • C

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Thought the Islanders made sense. They’re probably the 6th best team in the division right now and Lou hasn’t been able to do anything to garner some excitement around their new rink.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Kadri on the Isles, me no like. They would have Barzal, Kadri, Pageau and Cizikas at center with Sorokin/Varlamov between the pipes. Pretty strong down the middle.

Whether it was the schedule, COVID or a combination plus, not sure what happened to them last season but I think it was an anomaly. Still don't understand the firing of Trotz unless they felt he lost the room, which I have some difficulty in believing. Just the same, definitely not writing them off and if they do end up with Kadri they'll be in the thick of things in the METRO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kadri on the Isles, me no like. They would have Barzal, Kadri, Pageau and Cizikas at center with Sorokin/Varlamov between the pipes. Pretty strong down the middle.

Whether it was the schedule, COVID or a combination plus, not sure what happened to them last season but I think it was an anomaly. Still don't understand the firing of Trotz unless they felt he lost the room, which I have some difficulty in believing. Just the same, definitely not writing them off and if they do end up with Kadri they'll be in the thick of things in the METRO.
I hope he goes there. Preferably for 7 years. I don't think they are a very good team without Trotz so i'd be very happy if they signed that brutal contract.

Reactions: max21

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Great trade for the Devils. No idea why the Penguins would do this one. Ty Smith is no good.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Cap space. They didn't have any to extend Kapanen. They probably should have just not QO'd him but even at 25 he's one of their only younger players.

Edit: Smith is still fairly young so maybe he turns it around. But unless Rutta is a gem for them they look to have downgraded. They don't have many assets either so to deal away Marino like that...not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: caps4cup

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia

Great trade for the Devils. No idea why the Penguins would do this one. Ty Smith is no good.

Marino wasn’t good last year, idk about his advanced stats but he never looked good to me. He looked pretty good in their series against NYR so theres that. Weird they moved him after just one year while Pens fans were very happy with that contract just last year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Pittsburgh sure is doing things. Don't really think it's making them any better though.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

Pittsburgh sure is doing things. Don't really think it's making them any better though.

Matheson was their 2nd best defensemen last year and quite easily at that. Petry might still be a little better, but going from Marino to Smith is a massive downgrade. Their defense is worse now than it was yesterday.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Matheson was their 2nd best defensemen last year and quite easily at that. Petry might still be a little better, but going from Marino to Smith is a massive downgrade. Their defense is worse now than it was yesterday.

Matheson is another guy where the eye-test doesn't really match the impact that he brings. He sometimes makes some boneheaded plays that look stupid but overall he is a pretty good #3 defenseman.

Petry is a fine player too but he costs more and is older. Just a lot of shuffling of chairs with no real discernible upgrade overall.

Good!

Reactions: caps4cup

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like Poehling will be a good addition in Pittsburgh. But, would have thought they would have gotten more for Marino.

I honestly don’t know if Pittsburgh will be better or worse. Weird day for them.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pens get a little older, a little more top-heavy. Meh. SSDD.

Even NYI would need to make moves to fit him & Dobson and who knows if he considers them one.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Thought the Islanders made sense. They’re probably the 6th best team in the division right now and Lou hasn’t been able to do anything to garner some excitement around their new rink.
It comes down to how good Lambert is as a head coach. The Islanders were not as bad as their standings last year. They had that 14 game road trip to start the season, which led right into the peak of CoVID hitting their team. They were never able to dig out of that hole. But in a more normal season, I think they could finish ahead of basically any team in the division outside of Carolina. The metro, per usual, is going to be a giant clusterf***.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Charlie Lindgren 5-0 1.22 GAA 958% who is this kid. Those are some really nice stats​

14F24723-2D12-4D37-B2F3-31D3B5AF0AD0.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Charlie Lindgren 5-0 1.22 GAA 958% who is this kid. Those are some really nice stats​

That's a 5 game sample. In reality he's a 28 year old who's spent his entire career up until this point as a #3 and has overall mediocre NHL numbers (.907 sv% and 3.00GAA in his 5 years with Montreal prior to last season).

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
That's a 5 game sample. In reality he's a 28 year old who's spent his entire career up until this point as a #3 and has overall mediocre NHL numbers (.907 sv% and 3.00GAA in his 5 years with Montreal prior to last season).
cant do much better in your 5 game tryout...

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Among other goalies that switched teams for more money than Lindgren, the last 5 years Murray is .907 2.92, Samsonov is .902 2.81, Talbot .909 2.91, Comrie .905 3.02, Martin Jones .902 2.97

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Among other goalies that switched teams for more money than Lindgren, the last 5 years Murray is .907 2.92, Samsonov is .902 2.81, Talbot .909 2.91, Comrie .905 3.02, Martin Jones .902 2.97
My issue with the Lindgren signing isn't that we paid too much money for him, but that the coaching staff is putting a ton of faith in those past 5 games. Kuemper was the obvious, and correct, goalie target this off-season. But the one downside of Kuemper is his injury history, he's only played 30+ games 3 times and 50+ games twice. Not to mention he's coming off of an eye injury in the playoffs. He's going to miss time during his contract, even during his good years. I would have liked someone we can trust more as a starter over a 15-20 game stretch where Kuemper is gone, rather than a potential late bloomer in Lindgren. We essentially had our own version of Lindgren in Zach Fucale, already (late bloomer goalie with a very limited but encouraging NHL sample last season). And while Lindgren's recent AHL results are better (granted, also on a better AHL team) - I'm not particularly confident with Lindgren as the Capitals starter over a stretch where Kuemper is injured for all the same reasons I wouldn't be confident with Fucale as the Caps starter in that stretch (and the same reasons the Capitals opted not to put Fucale in that position).

Reactions: PlushMinus

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
My issue with the Lindgren signing isn't that we paid too much money for him, but that the coaching staff is putting a ton of faith in those past 5 games. Kuemper was the obvious, and correct, goalie target this off-season. But the one downside of Kuemper is his injury history, he's only played 30+ games 3 times and 50+ games twice. Not to mention he's coming off of an eye injury in the playoffs. He's going to miss time during his contract, even during his good years. I would have liked someone we can trust more as a starter over a 15-20 game stretch where Kuemper is gone, rather than a potential late bloomer in Lindgren. We essentially had our own version of Lindgren in Zach Fucale, already (late bloomer goalie with a very limited but encouraging NHL sample last season). And while Lindgren's recent AHL results are better (granted, also on a better AHL team) - I'm not particularly confident with Lindgren as the Capitals starter over a stretch where Kuemper is injured for all the same reasons I wouldn't be confident with Fucale as the Caps starter in that stretch (and the same reasons the Capitals opted not to put Fucale in that position).
I'd propably read it more as GMBM wanting Lindgren/Fucale fighting it out for a backup spot rather than handing it to Fucale. I don't think he wanted to have veteran expensive backup because there is need for that cap space elsewhere on the roster.

Reactions: PlushMinus

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

We've seen the plan already. If there's any issue in net, they'll just trade a 2nd for Vitek Vanacek. It's a nearly annual event now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad