GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2

What grade would you give the Capitals off-season?

• A

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • B

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • C

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Vv getting a 5x bigger contract than Sammy is hilarious.
Seriously, to go from $700k to $3.4 million, while Sammy went from $925k to $2 million and then down to $1.8 million. Talk about an inflated goalie market as Vitek hasn't even become that label of a young #1 yet(which he'll never be).

Mean while Kuemper only got a raise of $750k(he went from $4.5 million(Avs paid $3.5 million, Coyotes paid $1 million) to $5.25 million) for being the Avs starting goalie(55 starts) and winning that giant silver chalice!

Some might say that Kuemper maybe should have only got 4 years, but to me BMac negotiated that contract well with the overall cap hit.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
It's about right though. You're always paying for potential with these guys and VV has been alright and has gotten better over the last couple of years, although maybe not significantly so. Sammy just keeps getting worse.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
It's about right though. You're always paying for potential with these guys and VV has been alright and has gotten better over the last couple of years, although maybe not significantly so. Sammy just keeps getting worse.
And he's now playing in one of the biggest markets in the league. Albeit as a backup but you'd have to think it Murray shits the bed (very likely) then Samsonov will be given some quality starts and the pressure will be immense. He didn't rise to the occasion in Washington so I can't imagine he'll do so with an even bigger spotlight on him.

As one of his biggest detractors I am looking forward to his season in Toronto, and reading the GDT's on the Toronto board :laugh:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
this makes me feel much better about Keumper contract. And TONS better about the Charlie Sideburns contract. Well done GMBM! Clearing the deck was definitely a good idea.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah this clears that they were just done with Sammy and already knew Vitek was asking for a billion dollars, so it was easy to let go with both of them.

Happy for Vanecek, always liked to guy.

Didnt Vanecek sort of owned the Devils everytime around and thats why they really wanted him? Atleast in the Covid-season? I dont see many (if any) other teams giving him 10 millions.

Kuemper & Lindgren make combined 6,35, Vanecek & Samsonov 5,2.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why?

Vitek Vanecek has much better stats than Ilya Samsonov at both AHL and NHL-level. He didn't have to take a 1-year contract to salvage his NHL career. He's pretty stapled to that 1B category and got paid accordingly. He even had some trade value remaining both last summer and this summer.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ouch. Huge ouch. About the only player the Caps could move for him, would be Mantha (or Wilson, but no thanks to that). Oshie isn’t going to move the needle, and obv neither will Eller.

Can not trade from the D (Orlov would get it done), as the team is forward heavy as it is right now.

Mantha plus what for Tkachuk? How big a plus?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ouch. Huge ouch. About the only player the Caps could move for him, would be Mantha (or Wilson, but no thanks to that). Oshie isn’t going to move the needle, and obv neither will Eller.

Can not trade from the D (Orlov would get it done), as the team is forward heavy as it is right now.

Mantha plus what for Tkachuk? How big a plus?

McMichael or Lappiere would have to go too

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I would do Mantha/Lappiere/3rd or something like that. Any time you see a team forced to trade, the price goes down a bit. But Tkachuk not only makes us harder to play against, but keeps the window open a bit.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'd give up Lappy and CMM easily for Tkachuk and wouldn't think twice as long as he's signing. He's a 100+ point player at age 24 who plays the game like a mixture of Ovechkin and Wilson. Half the board was begging for 30+ JT Miller for CMM/Lappy, Iorio and a 1st. lol

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
for salary cap it would have to be Mantha Eller plus whatever futures they want. And I would be damned tempted to do it if the futures wasnt a crazy ask.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
We don't particularly have the futures that would be able to outbid other teams, but I think it would definitely be something that the team should at least check in on. Getting Tkachuk and getting him to extend would be huge for extending our window but with the way our cap and future is set up it doesn't seem likely. Can only hope though.

Reactions: Corby78

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wow on Tkachuk! I have been very much against trading McMichael or Lapierre. But for Tkachuk, I would and agree Mantha would have to go.

Calgary needs forwards today, so maybe something like Mantha, McMichael/Lapierre, and a pick next year (first or second). You could also put Leason or AJF in the mix which is another young player with NHL experience and upside and move that pick down a bit. This helps them currently with Maratha and McMichael and gives them an additional young forward who can play today.

I get it… not a 100 point player, but Calgary also has to be realistic and they want to stay competitive and this would be a strong haul to rebuild around. I don’t think it is likely, but it is reasonable. And that is worth a swing for Caps.

OV-Kuzy-Thachuk
Sheary-Strome-Brown
Snively-Eller-Oshie
Mojo-Dowd-Hathaway

AJF/Leason as 13th
Lapierre in Hershey to develop with men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad