GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2

What grade would you give the Capitals off-season?

• A

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • B

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • C

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
No. When's the last time a trade garnered that high of a return?

Not very many 24 year old #1 defenders up for grabs. Me thinks you might be overvaluing McMichael and Fehervary a bit too. Both are very good prospects but realistically CMM is a second liner and Fehervary is a higher end 2nd pairing guy if he continues to progress.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
First: I don't see the team letting Orlov walk. We do have the ability to sign him, especially if 19 has retired by then (me reading tea leaves). If Backstrom makes a miraculous recovery, it will be tough, be we have a lot of contracts coming off the board next year.

Second: I gave them a B (really B+ but its not an option.) They did everything they needed to in regards to fixing the G situation, and filling in the middle 6. The only reason they don't get an A from me, is I would have liked to have seen a little more of a "playmaker" instead of the "two way guys". I would have also liked to have seen a solid stay home D to go with Carlson, but in the end I'm very happy.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Including the draft I think this offseason has be a B so far. They seemed to have nailed the draft, they emphatically improved the goaltending, and they added a middle six center and middle six winger.

But I still think they need to address LD in order to really ace the offseason. After Orlov they have zero proven top 4 left D on the roster. Maybe they let Fehervary get another shot this season and then make a mid-season move for an LD if needed, but I do wonder what their plans are for the glut of forwards on the roster to start. I think Eller is likely gone, but even then they'll have a surplus of wingers on the roster on one-way contracts.

Something feels like it has to give and it wouldn't shock me if MacLellan is exploring the trade market for LD. Sanheim and Chychrun are the obvious targets, though I'm not sure if Philly is going to give up Sanheim because I think they think they're trying to compete.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I gave the offseason a B so far (from management). I think it is more like a B+ but I gave it a B for current statsus. Lots of offseason left so it can go up.

I'm not really interested in moving Fever. I would for Chychrun because he is still young and further along than Fever. I prefer focus on Mantha and Eller to bring in a 2LD that can play up to 1LD. Let Gus and LuJo have 7-8. But that is a lot of lefties.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Including the draft I think this offseason has be a B so far. They seemed to have nailed the draft, they emphatically improved the goaltending, and they added a middle six center and middle six winger.

But I still think they need to address LD in order to really ace the offseason. After Orlov they have zero proven top 4 left D on the roster. Maybe they let Fehervary get another shot this season and then make a mid-season move for an LD if needed, but I do wonder what their plans are for the glut of forwards on the roster to start. I think Eller is likely gone, but even then they'll have a surplus of wingers on the roster on one-way contracts.

Something feels like it has to give and it wouldn't shock me if MacLellan is exploring the trade market for LD. Sanheim and Chychrun are the obvious targets, though I'm not sure if Philly is going to give up Sanheim because I think they think they're trying to compete.
I also voted B. I like Kuemper, Brown and Strome, but I am stilll concerned about Laviolette reliance on veterans. I think the MaJo and Gustafsson signings are a bad sign of things to come.

I think the prospect pool is as deep as it has been in years.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I mentioned this earlier, and someone else mentioned it recently as well but all of these contracts are buryable in Hershey. What is happening here is creating competition. Players (and fans) need to embrace that.

Mojo: 1.1M
Gus: 800k
CCM: Waiver exempt
AJF, Leason, Snively, Protas, LuJo,

If we want to go youth and still have competition, then Mantha and Eller are the people you can legit move. Nobody on defense (including JC74 or Orlov).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd give it an A- if they'd signed Del Zotto over Gustafsson. Everything else is pretty close to the mark. Eventually I think they'll need to add more of a defensive element more suited for playoff style hockey but we'll see. Brown helps but at the C/D positions they may need more fluid firmness.

Largely agree with this. NJD figures to be better, MIN worse.

Jun 15, 2007
B. Solid. Can't complain about any move too much but overall playing it too safe. Use all of NB's money. Make a splash.

Kuemper is a A+ signing though.

@Roshi - just to continue the Chychrun discussion - would McMichael, Fehervary and a ‘25 2nd be acceptable?

Switch out McMike for Hendrix, upgrade it to a 1st rounder and eat a small contract?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I was scoping the lineup projections (based on current state) in the thread and almost every one of them is missing Snively completely. He brings speed and youth, is very well liked, and was just signed to a two-year, one-way $950k deal. He's likely to be on the roster and Caps brass likes him in top 6. Focusing on forwards here:

OV-Kuzy-Brown
Snively-Strome-Oshie
Eller-CMM-Mantha (We played Eller at LW for a game or two and I think that will continue)
Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway (we know we have talent when we can play Sheary on 4th line - he is a perfect fit)

Mojo-Pilon-Leason
AJF-Protas
Malenstyn-Lapierre

LTIR: Wilson, Hags, Backstrom

Also worth noting that we haven't done much on Hershey signings. I think that is because we expect several folks who don't make Caps will be sent down and that could include Mojo, Pilon, AJF, and Malenstyn who are on one-way deals. I worry about Leason and AJF clearing waivers. Mojo, Pilon, and Malenstyn will clear. Protas and Lapierre are waiver exempt.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
B. Solid. Can't complain about any move too much but overall playing it too safe. Use all of NB's money. Make a splash.

Switch out McMike for Hendrix, upgrade it to a 1st rounder and eat a small contract?
I wouldn't be willing to give up Lapierre. His attitude, complete, and ceiling is much higher. He just lacks experience and he needs a year of pro hockey in Hershey this year. I'd rather give up Mantha but I don't think AZ wants to take on Cap. If they did, we'd have to give up more. But I would do CMM and Fever and maybe a mid-pick next year. When Wilson and maybe Backstrom come back we'll have assets we can move at deadline for 2023 picks and recoup.

Reactions: Capitals40

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA

NJ still getting better. I am not really a Brunette fan but seems to be trending after his awful stint in Washington.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
1657898980237.png

Wow! We have a lot of contracts up next year!

Currently, we are 6.3M over the cap with no players on LTIR (which they can’t do until season starts). So technically we have about 1.8M in space. But I suspect it is hockey trades from here on out.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

I like Kuemper but a five year contract to a 32 year old injury prone player can’t be A+.

Im glad they did it as we BADLY need a goalie, but there is some risk there.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
View attachment 569593

Wow! We have a lot of contracts up next year!

Currently, we are 6.3M over the cap with no players on LTIR (which they can’t do until season starts). So technically we have about 1.8M in space. But I suspect it is hockey trades from here on out.
Change to completely re-tool the defense (/roster) if we flame out early again. Only Carlson signed from our current D and there might be lots of spots open. Same thing among forwards, lots of free agents and in a year decision needs to be made on Mantha too. Wilson hopefully re-signed as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad