GDT: Free Agent Frenzy 2

What grade would you give the Capitals off-season?

• A

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • B

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • C

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Regarding Kuemper's eye injury: Wasn't it just swelling around the eye as a result of a stick getting through his cage? (That's all I could find in the news, at least.) The stick didn't actually scratch his eye or pop it out or anything, right?

For all the fuss everyone's made about the eye injury, assuming 1) it was just some swelling around the eye (and not something worse that wasn't reported) and 2) the swelling has since gone down, is it actually a concern?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm assuming the eye is fine, since the Avs put him back in even though Francouz was playing well.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The question really is who would you want as your minimum salary NHL backup because that was likely the plan all along. Spend big on Keumper and get a min salary backup.

I’d take Lindgren over both Sammy and Vanny And the team clearly wanted to move on. Lindgren will never be a number 1 goalie on a number 1 contract, but this gives him a legit shot to be a full time backup. Fucale as the third Which is fine. I was encouraged with dev camp performances by goalies but those guys are all still 2-3 years away and that is when Lindgren contract is up.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think they like their top 4 so I don’t think it is likely. Maybe that changes with a hockey trade as man would like to move Fever for Chychrun But i don’t see that happening. They need a path for their picks and Fever just took on a full time role and I think he helped Carlson a lot earlier in the season. Slid in back half and playoffs, but that is more likely due to fatigue of a longer season than he has ever played. Next year all of our dee contracts are up except Carlson.

Reactions: BallardEra

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What’s the likelihood that the Caps add a top 4 d-man before the season starts?

Seems low at this point.

But perhaps the plan is to give Fehervary another shot alongside Carlson and if he falters to upgrade during the season/at the TDL.

Reactions: BallardEra

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
the-big-short-zero.gif

Reactions: Portable Mink

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
My issue with the Lindgren signing isn't that we paid too much money for him, but that the coaching staff is putting a ton of faith in those past 5 games... And while Lindgren's recent AHL results are better (granted, also on a better AHL team) - I'm not particularly confident with Lindgren as the Capitals starter over a stretch where Kuemper is injured for all the same reasons I wouldn't be confident with Fucale as the Caps starter in that stretch (and the same reasons the Capitals opted not to put Fucale in that position).
How much more than the max stashable salary would you have to pay to have someone in whom you’d have appreciably more faith in than Fucale? That is the logical end of the progression you make - if Kuemper gets hurt would he even start over Fucale, then why pay him in the first place. How much more faith would you have in a Talbot/Fucale or Halak/Fucale tandem for 20 games? Any of those guys could throw up .880 for 2 weeks and have the coaching staff lose all confidence in them, why pay more? It’s the whole argument for not paying goalies unless they’re demonstrably better than comparable contracts like Kuemper this year.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How much more than the max stashable salary would you have to pay to have someone in whom you’d have appreciably more faith in than Fucale? That is the logical end of the progression you make - if Kuemper gets hurt would he even start over Fucale, then why pay him in the first place. How much more faith would you have in a Talbot/Fucale or Halak/Fucale tandem for 20 games? Any of those guys could throw up .880 for 2 weeks and have the coaching staff lose all confidence in them, why pay more? It’s the whole argument for not paying goalies unless they’re demonstrably better than comparable contracts like Kuemper this year.
Greiss got a $1.5M contract, Halak got a $1.55M contract, and Comrie got a $1.8M contract - so we're not talking about breaking the bank here. I'm not looking for a goalie that has potential to steal starts from Kuemper or will even put up tremendous performances when he's hurt, I'm looking for someone I can trust to deliver that .900-915 sv% stretch when Kuemper gets hurt.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Greiss got a $1.5M contract, Halak got a $1.55M contract, and Comrie got a $1.8M contract - so we're not talking about breaking the bank here. I'm not looking for a goalie that has potential to steal starts from Kuemper or will even put up tremendous performances when he's hurt, I'm looking for someone I can trust to deliver that .900-915 sv% stretch when Kuemper gets hurt.
If DK were hurt for a stretch would you really be relieved your backup is 36, 37 years old? And now you’ve got to ride them? Comrie is the same deal and Lindgren where it’s like where were you before last season? I understand the sample size from last year is greater but those would have been minimum Lindgren‘s numbers with another 10 .900 3.00 starts. Which is really all anyone should expect out of most goalies and below his 5 seasons before last year.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If DK were hurt for a stretch would you really be relieved your backup is 36, 37 years old?
We're not talking a long term solution here. So, yes, I'll take a 36 year old goalie with a history of decent play over a 28 year old with basically no NHL history to speak of.

(I also thought Comrie had more games for whatever reason, probably just from seeing his name around forever)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just checking to see if Eller is still here. Thanks. Bye. Still firmly in the C zone for me until moar trades.
He is, for now. But I'm pretty convinced he's being shopped (although the market may not materialize until a couple other centers move out of free agency), given that his AAV is identical to Strome's.

When I see 17 I cannot but help think of Ridley and Slaney for 28.
What do you have against Kovalchuk and Semin? :sarcasm:

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
He is, for now. But I'm pretty convinced he's being shopped (although the market may not materialize until a couple other centers move out of free agency), given that his AAV is identical to Strome's.

What do you have against Kovalchuk and Semin? :sarcasm:
The whole C market is probably waiting on Kadri at this point. Agree it’ll probably be after that domino and a few others before we see something for Eller if it’s going to happen

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
LOL Slaney not Semin?!? How embarrassing (for Semin).
Yeah I know. Especially since it was clear Semin was going to be the centerpiece forward until the Caps won the AO lottery. Still frustrating all these years since just how crazy talented he was and have history play out as it did for is career.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The whole C market is probably waiting on Kadri at this point. Agree it’ll probably be after that domino and a few others before we see something for Eller if it’s going to happen
Its amazing how everything came to a grinding stop. Hopefully we can move in the offseason before training camp. Could end up happening after camp as teams realize they need help and GMBM can get good value. He'll be patient for sure, but seems inevidible.

ClevelandCapsfan

May 24, 2021
Trade Eller to Anaheim to help them get to cap floor?

Regardless of whether Verbeek wants to add more talent, the Ducks are going to have to look to add salary considering they currently sit just under $9.3MM below the salary cap floor. Anaheim’s cap situation is not for a matter of trying, considering their signings of Vatrano and Strome, but they will have to find additional salary to take on. before the start of the season. Many of the most prized UFAs on the market have since signed, but two, who will command a significant salary, remain: forward Nazem Kadri and defenseman John Klingberg. However, neither has been connected to Anaheim thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad