Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we can get Karlsson and a forward like Panarin, Duchene, Dzingel, Nyquist then who cares about futures, the team just became contenders out of nowhere. Obviously you'd have to give the reigns of the offense to Domi and Kotkaniemi though, and stop the Danault obsession.

I think it opens up the flood gates in options if we can magically sign Karlsson. We should be going all in for a 2-4 year window and we do have some prospects and futures we can trade.

I don't think Panarin is going to sign with us in any situation. But Duchene is a good option. I pass on Dzingel and Nyquist. However, I think I would rather sign Edler before Duchene. However, If Skinner is available and wants to sign, I would seriously consider adding his goal scoring threat to the line-up.

I would love our D and goaltending and team speed up front but boy, that forward group would need to get physically stronger

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Whats the worst that can happen ? Hes as good as Petry and we get a first+prospect for petry ? Damn, thats some scary outcome right there...

We have to convince Petry to waive. But if MB forced Gorges to, I think he could get Petry to waive to play close to his home...

I'm for signing Erik Karlesson. But he's going to want a very high salary on a 7 year deal. There is some risk for how this will turn out long term. But I take the risk. He's elite, and with modern medicine he should eventually get back to good health.

Reactions: dinodebino

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Signing Karlsson would not cost the Habs that much for the first 3 years.......the domino effect suggest that Petry would be traded and i believe that Alzner should also be bought out.

Jeff Petry = 5.5M
Alzner's rebuy = 3.5M
Total = 9M (for the 1st year)

Signing Karlsson to a 11M deal =
2M more for the 1st year
5.1M more the 2nd year
3.1M more for the 3rd year

In 3 years, the cap will rise enough so it won't basically hurt the team.
So do it, if he really wants to come here, just do it.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure why we would need to add a lot. Philly has made it clear that they want a top 4 RHD. Petry is a #2 dman.

If Petry was a bit younger and signed to longer than 2 years, I think it would be a trade they consider. However, I think they would have issues with the 2 years in term left with Petry and giving up the younger Gostisbehere who is signed for 4 more years and $1M cheaper than Petry

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well yeah he was 31 and Karlsson is 29 so there's a difference there, a contract age 29-36 is very different from 31-40, especially since they're a different calibre of player.
Yeah, different caliber players. Karlsson's game depends on his speed and elusiveness. Two elements of the game that disappear with age. Weber's game doesn't depend on that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Signing Karlsson would not cost the Habs that much for the first 3 years.......the domino effect suggest that Petry would be traded and i believe that Alzner should also be bought out.

Jeff Petry = 5.5M
Alzner's rebuy = 3.5M
Total = 9M (for the 1st year)

Signing Karlsson to a 11M deal =
2M more for the 1st year
5.1M more the 2nd year
3.1M more for the 3rd year

In 3 years, the cap will rise enough so it won't basically hurt the team.
So do it, if he really wants to come here, just do it.

No real issues in terms of cap problems in the next two seasons (even after Domi gets a raise). The challenge would be the fork in the road in the 21 off season with a expansion draft.

- UFA's in Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, Danault
- RFA's in Domi, Mete, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi

But is it reasons not to sign Karlsson? NO. There is many directions we can take and the next two years will help us decide on how good those young players are.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Arent they rebuilding? Not sure why they would want Petry.

Just a random thought, but what about a 3 way trade?

Anaheim receives 11th OA
Philadelphia receives Petry
Montreal receives Lindholm

I think that could be a base to work with.

Not sure but I think the Ducks are a few years away from a rebuild.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Karlsson of 5 years ago? Sure. A thirty-year-old Karlsson who has been injury prone the last two seasons? I have reservations. Three years ago this board was up in arms because we were bringing in a thirty-year-old Weber and supposedly he was on the wrong side of thirty. Weber was healthy the two years previous to coming to Montreal. Karlsson, not so much. Also, I'm not enamored with Erik's defensive play.

You claim he's going to make us instant contenders. I doubt that. How much did he really improve the Sharks? Anyway, I see too many question marks. Part of me says yes but yes to the Karlsson of yesteryear. Another part says go look somewhere else.

The only definite upside I see is that we have an extra piece in Petry to trade.

The Sharks finished 6th in the league despite having probably the worst duo of goalies. The last time we had the worst duo of goalies we drafted 9th overall.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If Petry was a bit younger and signed to longer than 2 years, I think it would be a trade they consider. However, I think they would have issues with the 2 years in term left with Petry and giving up the younger Gostisbehere who is signed for 4 more years and $1M cheaper than Petry
I think you are talking about a different proposal

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
No real issues in terms of cap problems in the next two seasons (even after Domi gets a raise). The challenge would be the fork in the road in the 21 off season with a expansion draft.

- UFA's in Petry, Gallagher, Tatar, Danault
- RFA's in Domi, Mete, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi

But is it reasons not to sign Karlsson? NO. There is many directions we can take and the next two years will help us decide on how good those young players are.

Every good teams in a cap era will have clouds looming in the horizon. The only way to never have those is to keep sucking forever.

I would sign Karlsson any day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you are talking about a different proposal

Two different conversations and my apoligies if they got mixed up...

1) Petry for Gostisbehere. I think they don't like this deal cause they get older and Petry has 2 years in term left while Gost has 4. What I am hearing is they are after a top 4RD or a #2C similar in age and team control. They are clearly looking for pry away value

2) Petry+ for Lindholm. I think the Ducks are not trading Lindholm weather they are rebuilding or not. They do need a RD like Petry but doubt they take away from the LD side to do it.

Edler to me is our best fit on a 2 or 3 year deal and a high AAV

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every good teams in a cap era will have clouds looming in the horizon. The only way to never have those is to keep sucking forever.

I would sign Karlsson any day.

Every team that wants to win a cup will have some sort of cap issues to deal with. I'm not saying no to Karlsson in any situation but the way the Habs are build, we would have major decisions to make in that 21 off season

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It also allows us to play Weber on the 2nd pairing and we can limit his minutes as he gets older. I have no problems with Weber in the next two years, it after that when he is 36 and 37. He is a heavy big dude so he has to work even harder at staying in top shape IMO. I think he can but I am not ignoring the concern

I'd trade Weber pre-expansion draft if his play in the age 35 season has some sort of drop off. Pretty sure RD's will still be a NHL need by several teams in 2 seasons from now

Playing Weber on the 2nd pairing will allow us to better manage his minutes and maximize his output. Boston for instance is able to maximize Chara because they had other players like McAvoy and Krug to step up and play larger miniutes. Getting Karlsson will help the Habs do that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Karlsson of 5 years ago? Sure. A thirty-year-old Karlsson who has been injury prone the last two seasons? I have reservations. Three years ago this board was up in arms because we were bringing in a thirty-year-old Weber and supposedly he was on the wrong side of thirty. Weber was healthy the two years previous to coming to Montreal. Karlsson, not so much. Also, I'm not enamored with Erik's defensive play.

You claim he's going to make us instant contenders. I doubt that. How much did he really improve the Sharks? Anyway, I see too many question marks. Part of me says yes but yes to the Karlsson of yesteryear. Another part says go look somewhere else.

The only definite upside I see is that we have an extra piece in Petry to trade.

Think about what our team would look like last year with a top 10 or top 5 PP? Karlsson would certainly turn our PP around from worse to at least top 10-15 range.

Karlsson has been injury prone but I don't think we should be saying no. You don't turn away talent like this

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm pretty sure Vancouver is trying to do the same thing. They love Edler and Edler loves Vancouver. I would be very surprised if they didn't resign him.

I do think they are trying to re-sign him for sure but what's the hold up? I think they want a team friendly deal and Edler wants to get paid. Does he reach UFA? I think he does unless the Canucks open up the AAV/term package to his liking

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
BRENNAN: This time, Karlsson might be more inclined to consider Senators’ offer

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

Whatever that "well-connected source" is, let's just say it is surprising. I see Karlsson with the NYR a lot more than Montreal.

Would have to trade Petry for sure, but an intriguing idea to say the least. Don't see it as the best fit, but Bergevin would have to think twice before saying no to a generational defenseman like Karlsson, even if last year was concerning injury/performance wise.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
This article does not state that Karlsson is looking for an offer from the habs

So, where ever that rumour comes from from Brennan, isn't this article.

Read it again then...it says:

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I do think they are trying to re-sign him for sure but what's the hold up? I think they want a team friendly deal and Edler wants to get paid. Does he reach UFA? I think he does unless the Canucks open up the AAV/term package to his liking
If he makes it to free agency, I really doubt he would sign a 2 or 3 year deal.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
We have to convince Petry to waive. But if MB forced Gorges to, I think he could get Petry to waive to play close to his home...

I'm for signing Erik Karlesson. But he's going to want a very high salary on a 7 year deal. There is some risk for how this will turn out long term. But I take the risk. He's elite, and with modern medicine he should eventually get back to good health.

I find it hard to believe that Petry wouldn't waive if Bergy came to him. Why stay with an employer that doesnt want you. Like Gorges I could see him nixing a trade to a place he doesn't like but asides from that he shouldn't be too difficult to get to waive. Cant see him pulling a Phaneuf who screwed over the sens by not waving his NMC during the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad