Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs gave PK 9.6 million a year ....they should have no trouble paying EK....He has the "attitude" they are looking for .

Line them both up

Erik Karlsson 680 games 583pts
Playoffs 67 games 53 pts

Pk Subban 645 games 408 pts
Playoffs 96 games 62 pts

The difference is Super NHLish. :sarcasm:

Reactions: habsfan891

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah, different caliber players. Karlsson's game depends on his speed and elusiveness. Two elements of the game that disappear with age.
By different calibre I mean that in his prime Weber was somewhere around the top 5-10ish defensemen in the league while Karlsson was (and IMO still is but fair enough if you disagree) the very best in the league. Like say...Malkin vs Getzlaf or something like that, an elite player vs a guy who was around the top 5-10 at his position at his peak. Of it's a concern that Karlsson's skating is a huge part of his game but I'm not super concerned since we've already seen him be a singular elite force in two different playoff runs on one leg.

Weber's game doesn't depend on that.
It definitely does. He didn't/doesn't "rely" on his speed in that it was never a significantly above-average tool, but he relied on having average speed to let opposing forwards "win" a puck battle for a split second and then evaporate them into the boards. He can't do that reliably anymore and if pucks get behind him the race to the puck is just lost. He's lost a ton of effectiveness going from having average NHL speed to below average speed.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I think getting to the airport, flying out of Montreal, landing in Ottawa and "driving home" would take longer altogether than driving straight West from Montreal to wherever he and Melinda need to go. Premier Ford is proudly making that stretch of the 417 a 110 km/h limit soon enough Ladies and Gents, let her rip down the highway (big difference with hwy 40) and make it home within an hour and a half...

Seriously though, Montreal would become Groin Watch Central. Price and Karlsson, both heavily dependent on their previously injured groin muscles. Then there's Erik ankle and all.

Like Nike said, Just Do It... that's the All-in path (vs. trading Price/Weber for youth & picks) so take us for a ride. The Atlantic then becomes Death Row.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm goona dream greedy big this offseason...the Breadman and Erik Karlsson ....can we do it ?lol

Would the Habs have room for both or would they get into a Lafflike situation?

Of course, just for shits and giggles.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
16 pts in 19 games this playoffs. His game is elite. He's a superstar. He's going to age tremendously because of the fact that he tells on his brain so much. We would be insane not to bring him here if he wants to be here. Over pay. I don't care. The time is now. We gotta go for it

The time isn’t now for our team so we don’t have to go for it by throwing stupid money for a player who looks to be on a decline. What you don’t see in the 16 points in 19 games is how horrendous he was defensively. It was comical how bad he was at times. And his injury history is a major concern. Big pass on this one.

Reactions: lou

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I was joking about it throughout the year that he never wanted to leave Ottawa (this isn’t the joke part) and that he should look into joining the Habs. Closest to his home in Ottawa, wife from here (Ottawa). I joked that being two hours away would be much easier for him as he clearly never really wanted to leave.

Now this?

You MAKE it work for Karlsson. Simple as that. Trade Petry for a LHD, and suddenly you have Karlsson and Weber on your right side? Jesus Christ.

We would also have something equivalent of Petry on left side of we traded him and oh, that mete kids not bad either. Jesus Christ indeed. God I hope the rumours are true. Bergevin has to be all over this

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Even if Petry doesn't waive, I still sign EK. Have one if the 3 play the left side, perhaps Petry if he doesn't waive.

I mean are we better with or without Karlsson even if Petry doesn't waive?

Karlesson Weber
Kulak Petry
Mete Juulsen
Benn, Folin, Reilly
Yeah I wouldn't fet too much over trading Petry. Getting Karlsson is what matters the most and the rest will sort itself out.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
I think karlsson (or his agent) is doing the best move. Everyone knows montreal has to overpay for talent. And that sets the price. I would not say no to having him on board though, that would probably mean petry would be on the way out.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let’s keep in mind the faster and more open style of the Eastern Conference fits his playstyle a lot more.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Send Petry back to Edmonton. Sign Karlsson.
I think if it happens and Bergevin signs Karlsson, he will try to use Petry to get a similar veteran top 4 LHD. I don't see many teams being that much deeper on the left side than the right, aside from Arizona.

I think Goligoski+ for Petry would be something that Bergevin could think about... Not sure what the + could be, maybe a mid 2nd? But ideally would have to be done before July 1st, since Goligoski modified NTC kicks in then. Hard to do that kind of trade before knowing for sure you get Karlsson.

Term/cap are basically a wash between Petry and Goligoski, but I think Petry is quite a bit better than Goligoski. How much, I'm not sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think karlsson (or his agent) is doing the best move. Everyone knows montreal has to overpay for talent. And that sets the price. I would not say no to having him on board though, that would probably mean petry would be on the way out.

Habs should be able to easily give him $11M AAV. If he wants $12M, it's not a major problem. If he wants to be close to Ottawa and is looking for a deal that works for him and the Habs... $10.5M might work. Aside from Price, we don't have much July bonus money being forked out so we can offer him most of the money up front in July as well. Leafs will be at north of $60M of July bonus money after the Marner contract and the Habs are nowhere near that

As far as Petry... It would not be hard to move him or see if he wants to try out the LD side with Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad