Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I love that this is so surprising to people lol... most of this fanbase cant comprehend any top UFA interested in playing in one of the best hockey markets in the world

The more surprising thing here is his actual willingness to go back to Ottawa if anything lmao

I think the Karlsson situation speaks to the enormous influence extended family can have on the place a player ultimately decides to go.

As nice as it is to enjoy life in San Jose's sunny climes, to sit on a pile of money and to have an unlimited ability to fly out, proximity to family is priceless, especially when keeping a wife happy is involved.

Reactions: pepperMonkey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm kind of in the same boat. Offensively if healthy he is second to none. Defensively he is average at best. A big part of his game is predicated on skating and chronic groin and foot issues do not lead to elite skating. That said it is Erik Karlsson.

If he truly wants to be in Ottawa or Montreal, Montreal probably gives him a better shot at winning in the short term. That said he will have to be flexible on dollars or term. Our offer won't be the best one he sees.

I would be comfortable giving him $10M on a 3 year term. On a max term of 7 years I am probably looking at max AAV of 7.5. or 8.
5 years n the 8.5 range.

Ideally, if you get him is moving Petry for a similar LD. Barring that, has EK65 ever played on the left side? I think the side is more important in the defensive end and we already know he is not great in his own end so the wrong side might not hurt much. Play him on his wrong side with Weber, Weber gets to coverup for his defensive adventures. They can play together on PP except Weber plays his wrong side for the big one-timer.

I like the idea of EK65 but the injuries create risk. not worth taking the chance on a 7 year deal north of $10M, we will need the dollars to pay our kids coming off ELC by then.

I'd have zero problems with giving Karlsson $11M for 7 years from 29-35. Pretty sure Markov produced well in that age range and they play similar games but Karlsson is more elite in that style of game

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The Sens are at around $48M and if Karlsson would go back to Ottawa for family reasons, I don't see them saying no cause they do need to reach the cap floor somehow. I think the cap floor will be set somewhere around $60M right? They have other ways to get the the cap floor but why would they say no? Cause the owner is cheap and disgruntled? Might be true

Their owner is also very vindictive it seems, I wouldn't be too surprised if the Sens dont get him for some petty reason.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Karlsson situation speaks to the enormous influence extended family can have on the place a player ultimately decides to go.

As nice as it is to enjoy life in San Jose's sunny climes, to sit on a pile of money and to have an unlimited ability to fly out, proximity to family is priceless, especially when keeping a wife happy is involved.

Circumstance has to work in our favor at some point in time right? :sarcasm:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm kind of in the same boat. Offensively if healthy he is second to none. Defensively he is average at best. A big part of his game is predicated on skating and chronic groin and foot issues do not lead to elite skating. That said it is Erik Karlsson.

If he truly wants to be in Ottawa or Montreal, Montreal probably gives him a better shot at winning in the short term. That said he will have to be flexible on dollars or term. Our offer won't be the best one he sees.

I would be comfortable giving him $10M on a 3 year term. On a max term of 7 years I am probably looking at max AAV of 7.5. or 8.
5 years n the 8.5 range.

Ideally, if you get him is moving Petry for a similar LD. Barring that, has EK65 ever played on the left side? I think the side is more important in the defensive end and we already know he is not great in his own end so the wrong side might not hurt much. Play him on his wrong side with Weber, Weber gets to coverup for his defensive adventures. They can play together on PP except Weber plays his wrong side for the big one-timer.

I like the idea of EK65 but the injuries create risk. not worth taking the chance on a 7 year deal north of $10M, we will need the dollars to pay our kids coming off ELC by then.

Players with Karlsson’s reputation aren’t taking 3 year deals or signing for $8 million or less as a UFA. They get max term and money which means we’d have to pay him atleast $11 million on a 7 year term and take on the risks that come with his injury history.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Friedman reports in his latest 31 Thoughts podcast that the two teams most likely to land Duchene's services are the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->