Proposal: Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah I wouldn't fet too much over trading Petry. Getting Karlsson is what matters the most and the rest will sort itself out.

Who's driving to the airport to pick him up? Not that he needs it but as a ceremonial good will gesture.

He said he's willing to have a Hab fan pick him up provided there are no video cameras to record his conversations while in the car. :sarcasm:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah I wouldn't fet too much over trading Petry. Getting Karlsson is what matters the most and the rest will sort itself out.

Exactly.

It’s like if Toronto passed on Tavares because of future cap problems or positional problems which they face now. It’ll work out.

Karlsson is better than Petry. I’d instantly flip Petry for a top-4 LHD if the deal was there.

I think karlsson (or his agent) is doing the best move. Everyone knows montreal has to overpay for talent. And that sets the price. I would not say no to having him on board though, that would probably mean petry would be on the way out.

This may be part of it, but he was legit sad to be traded even with all the crap. He still owns a home here and lives here. Ottawa is very much still home to him and it makes sense for him to want to come back to the immediate area (Ottawa, Montreal).

He’d get some sweet sponsorship deals being in a bigger market in Montreal compared to Ottawa too.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not sure how to feel about this. I mean, it's EK, when is the last time we picked up an UFA of his calibre? But then again, his injuries are a big concern... I'd probably be ecstatic but at the same time I just hope it's not seven years. This is a weird feeling.

Reactions: CDN24

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Send Petry back to Edmonton. Sign Karlsson.
I think if it happens and Bergevin signs Karlsson, he will try to use Petry to get a similar veteran top 4 LHD. I don't see many teams being that much deeper on the left side than the right, aside from Arizona.

I think Goligoski+ for Petry would be something that Bergevin could think about... Not sure what the + could be, maybe a mid 2nd? But ideally would have to be done before July 1st, since Goligoski modified NTC kicks in then. Hard to do that kind of trade before knowing for sure you get Karlsson.

Term/cap are basically a wash between Petry and Goligoski, but I think Petry is quite a bit better than Goligoski. How much, I'm not sure.

Petry is absolutely gone if we sign Karlsson. Problem is his NTC so we don't simply just ship him off to Arizona or Edmonton.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Holy **** if Karlsson actually wants to come here.

I love that this is so surprising to people lol... most of this fanbase cant comprehend any top UFA interested in playing in one of the best hockey markets in the world

The more surprising thing here is his actual willingness to go back to Ottawa if anything lmao

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Petry is absolutely gone if we sign Karlsson. Problem is his NTC so we don't simply just ship him off to Arizona or Edmonton.

I think there would be sufficient interest in Petry, especially since his contract isn't bad, he's really good, and Montreal can make it a hockey trade and not a cap clearing trade.

I'd still be a little bummed though, even if it would be the right move. Petry really embraced being a Hab and gave the team his all.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure how Nashville fits him in unless they trade Subban and take little money back. Or if they find a sucker to take Turris (highly unlikely)

That’s also with a Josi contract looming (UFA in 2020-21)

I wouldn't count Nashville out. I'm sure Poile will be able to pull it off if necessary. He'll find takers for Subban and Turris. It depends what the returns would be, obviously. But the Preds will surely have dance partners for them.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Not sure how to feel about this. I mean, it's EK, when is the last time we picked up an UFA of his calibre? But then again, his injuries are a big concern... I'd probably be ecstatic but at the same time I just hope it's not seven years. This is a weird feeling.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Offensively if healthy he is second to none. Defensively he is average at best. A big part of his game is predicated on skating and chronic groin and foot issues do not lead to elite skating. That said it is Erik Karlsson.

If he truly wants to be in Ottawa or Montreal, Montreal probably gives him a better shot at winning in the short term. That said he will have to be flexible on dollars or term. Our offer won't be the best one he sees.

I would be comfortable giving him $10M on a 3 year term. On a max term of 7 years I am probably looking at max AAV of 7.5. or 8.
5 years n the 8.5 range.

Ideally, if you get him is moving Petry for a similar LD. Barring that, has EK65 ever played on the left side? I think the side is more important in the defensive end and we already know he is not great in his own end so the wrong side might not hurt much. Play him on his wrong side with Weber, Weber gets to coverup for his defensive adventures. They can play together on PP except Weber plays his wrong side for the big one-timer.

I like the idea of EK65 but the injuries create risk. not worth taking the chance on a 7 year deal north of $10M, we will need the dollars to pay our kids coming off ELC by then.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Sens are at around $48M and if Karlsson would go back to Ottawa for family reasons, I don't see them saying no cause they do need to reach the cap floor somehow. I think the cap floor will be set somewhere around $60M right? They have other ways to get the the cap floor but why would they say no? Cause the owner is cheap and disgruntled? Might be true

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I love that this is so surprising to people lol... most of this fanbase cant comprehend any top UFA interested in playing in one of the best hockey markets in the world

The more surprising thing here is his actual willingness to go back to Ottawa if anything lmao

If he's willing to go back to Ottawa I'm actually quite confident in our chances of getting him. Logically you have to think the reason why he would consider going back is because of his personal attachment to the area from his wife being from there to friends in the area to local charities he's involved in. All of these things can be easily reached from Montreal. Basically Karlsson can enjoy the personal benefits Ottawa may provide while playing in Montreal where he'll have the European vibe Ottaea can never provide, playing in front of a packed crowd and playing for an organization that isnt dysfunctional.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think there would be sufficient interest in Petry, especially since his contract isn't bad, he's really good, and Montreal can make it a hockey trade and not a cap clearing trade.

I'd still be a little bummed though, even if it would be the right move. Petry really embraced being a Hab and gave the team his all.

Don't talk in past tense yet lol, he's still very much a Hab and Karlsson is still very much not a Hab. But yes, he should garner league wide interest so there would definitely be a solid deal to be made for him.

Reactions: dinodebino

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If he's willing to go back to Ottawa I'm actually quite confident in our chances of getting him. Logically you have to think the reason why he would consider going back is because of his personal attachment to the area from his wife being from there to friends in the area to local charities he's involved in. All of these things can be easily reached from Montreal. Basically Karlsson can enjoy the personal benefits Ottawa may provide while playing in Montreal where he'll have the European vibe Ottaea can never provide, playing in front of a packed crowd and playing for an organization that isnt dysfunctional.
And be closer to winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->