Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
I still disagree here. Marleau is good enough to take that risk on.

I agree with you on this. Marleau would easily be the best overall winger in the Crosby/Malkin era other than Hossa. He's been remarkably consistent over the years and has shown no signs of slowing down. He should easily earn his contract over the next two years and after that the rising cap should mitigate any decline in his play.

Would the Sharks maybe consider a package of Martin+Sutter for Marleau? The lineup after that would be something like:

Marleau-Crosby-Downie
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Maatta-Letang
Scuderi-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

Pretty decent other than Scuderi likely remaining on the team. And the only reason I don't have him on the bottom pairing is that I really hate the Scuderi-Bortuzzo pairing.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I am not much for trading for a more established player like Kane, mostly because of the price.

Ideally we would have developed our own stable of forward prospects ready to step up. But we didn't. We did however draft a lot of defense, and seem to have gotten some gems.

But trading three or them, or something like that, for a Kane or similar is buying high and selling low.

We would be much better trading kind for kind, a Despres or similar who happens to be a forward.

First off, show me one instance where people have suggested trading three of the quality D prospects for Kane. To my knowledge that has never happened. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an instance of someone suggesting we trade two of them in the same deal.

I really disagree with your philosophy here. Despres can help us more right now than someone like Jurco can. I would not move Despres (or Maatta/Pouliot) for someone who is not an established NHL player unless it was a can't miss guy.

Hockey is about winning and losing games, not trades. If you have to overpay for a guy like Kane, do it. We need guys who can help both now and in the future.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I really disagree with your philosophy here. Despres can help us more right now than someone like Jurco can. I would not move Despres (or Maatta/Pouliot) for someone who is not an established NHL player unless it was a can't miss guy.

Hockey is about winning and losing games, not trades. If you have to overpay for a guy like Kane, do it. We need guys who can help both now and in the future.

Ehhh, I dunno. Jurco's pretty damn good...big, physical, and silky, silky mitts. I'd be tempted.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree with you on this. Marleau would easily be the best overall winger in the Crosby/Malkin era other than Hossa. He's been remarkably consistent over the years and has shown no signs of slowing down. He should easily earn his contract over the next two years and after that the rising cap should mitigate any decline in his play.

Would the Sharks maybe consider a package of Martin+Sutter for Marleau? The lineup after that would be something like:

Marleau-Crosby-Downie
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Maatta-Letang
Scuderi-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

Pretty decent other than Scuderi likely remaining on the team. And the only reason I don't have him on the bottom pairing is that I really hate the Scuderi-Bortuzzo pairing.

If this lineup stays healthy and Scuds isnt complete garbage... Gotta think they are cup favs.

But I'd play Horns with Sid and rotate Downie and Bennett with Geno.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Ehhh, I dunno. Jurco's pretty damn good...big, physical, and silky, silky mitts. I'd be tempted.

Id be more inclined to do Dumolin plus a pick for Jurco. But the concept of targeting a younger up and comer is definitely the way to go

Before last season started I wanted a Despres for Toffoli swap. That's obviously not gonna happen now lol

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Maybe in a few years. But I don't believe he's an upgrade to our top six at the moment, and I think the only way we should be trading any of Despres, Pouliot, or Maatta is in a package for someone that is already proven and a legit top six wing.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

We also need to move salary to get Kane. He has a $5.25 million per year cap hit for the next four years. Then will likely make more. A guy like Jurco would be cost controlled for quite a while, and will cost less to acquire.

I am not saying that Jurco = Kane as a potential trade target in a vaccum. But factoring cost to acquire, cap hit, etc, it is the kind of move I am more in favor of.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe in a few years. But I don't believe he's an upgrade to our top six at the moment, and I think the only way we should be trading any of Despres, Pouliot, or Maatta is in a package for someone that is already proven and a legit top six wing.

I'll make a personal distinction, just for my POV. I'll only trade Martin if we get a legit top 6 wing in return because he's our most reliable defenseman who's proven he can play 24 minutes a night, and do it very well.

I like Despres and wouldn't give him away, but he hasn't proven a whole lot himself. We can argue it's because DB never gave him a chance, but Jurco can claim the same with Babs in Detroit. Bennett's our only skilled young wing, and we don't know how far away Kapanen is. Meanwhile we have Maatta and some very good defense prospects knocking on the door in Dumoulin and Harrington.

Because of that I'd grudgingly pull the trigger, but I understand if you'd pass.

Id be more inclined to do Dumolin plus a pick for Jurco. But the concept of targeting a younger up and comer is definitely the way to go

Before last season started I wanted a Despres for Toffoli swap. That's obviously not gonna happen now lol

Never say never!

We also need to move salary to get Kane. He has a $5.25 million per year cap hit for the next four years. Then will likely make more. A guy like Jurco would be cost controlled for quite a while, and will cost less to acquire.

I am not saying that Jurco = Kane as a potential trade target in a vaccum. But factoring cost to acquire, cap hit, etc, it is the kind of move I am more in favor of.

Agreed. But I was never a charter member of the Kane fan club, haha.

Talk to any Detroit fan about Jurco though and you'll likely get a "from my cold, dead hand" type of response.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'll make a personal distinction, just for my POV. I'll only trade Martin if we get a legit top 6 wing in return because he's our most reliable defenseman who's proven he can play 24 minutes a night, and do it very well.

I like Despres and wouldn't give him away, but he hasn't proven a whole lot himself. We can argue it's because DB never gave him a chance, but Jurco can claim the same with Babs in Detroit. Bennett's our only skilled young wing, and we don't know how far away Kapanen is. Meanwhile we have Maatta and some very good defense prospects knocking on the door in Dumoulin and Harrington.

Because of that I'd grudgingly pull the trigger, but I understand if you'd pass.

Never say never!

Agreed. But I was never a charter member of the Kane fan club, haha.

Talk to any Detroit fan about Jurco though and you'll likely get a "from my cold, dead hand" type of response.

The thing is though that the same thing could, and normally would, be said about Despres. Tell me that Jurco is a better prospect than Despres. They are about as equal as you can get. They merely play different positions. Given that defensemen bust more often than forwards, and the value becomes pretty close, if not us giving up slightly more.

And Detroit is about as stacked with offensive prospects as we are defensively. And could use a Despres as much as we could use a Jurco. The only reason it makes any sense to move either of these guys.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
I like Simon Despres. But I'd do a Jurco-Despres swap and not look back. We have enough defensemen that are close (Dumoulin, Samuelsson, maybe Harrington) that I think we could do a deal like that.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I thought it was possible he ended up as a waifish perimeter player on this level, but he's really come along nicely. Goes to the dirty areas a lot more than I thought he would and is reasonably effective there.

It's not out of the question I'd bite.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The thing is though that the same thing could, and normally would, be said about Despres. Tell me that Jurco is a better prospect than Despres. They are about as equal as you can get. They merely play different positions. Given that defensemen bust more often than forwards, and the value becomes pretty close, if not us giving up slightly more.

And Detroit is about as stacked with offensive prospects as we are defensively. And could use a Despres as much as we could use a Jurco. The only reason it makes any sense to move either of these guys.

I'm not going to tell you Jurco's better than Despres. But I do know that the Wings have an aging core and just gave up a talented young forward in an unpopular trade last year, and their fanbase isn't eager to give up another, especially since they have some promising young defensemen of their own.

I don't see there being a fit, but it'd be great if there was.

I thought it was possible he ended up as a waifish perimeter player on this level, but he's really come along nicely. Goes to the dirty areas a lot more than I thought he would and is reasonably effective there.

It's not out of the question I'd bite.

Yeah he's bringing a grittier element than I ever thought he would. So much talent on that Sea Dogs team. I wonder if Zach Phillips would be worth taking a flier on, haha.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

God this is such a stupid statement. "He shows no signs of slowing down". Well no ****... he's still only 34. The issue has never been next year... or likely even the following year. But there's a big difference between a player who's 34 (about to turn 35) and one who's 36 or 37. Age catches up, and you have no way of predicting how it will affect someone.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wow so blow two good assets (dumo and a 2nd) along with Martin and Sutter? Are we assuming that Sutter is signed to some sort of deal and if so that's waaaaaay too much. I'd pull dumo who is going to replace some size lost by Orpik. If BOTH Sutter and Martin can't nab you a Kane then I'd say eff it and go the season bringing in the young guns throughout the season until closer to deadline and then look to unload Martin for a king's ransom and use any new found assets for the holes we see necessary to fill.

Its a second that will probably never play in the NHL, a guy we're going to lose in a year, a d-man who doesn't have a spot in the NHL for the foreseeable future, and a third liner. If that can get you a great long term solution to a top line wing spot, then you take it. Personally, I think they'd turn that down. Its quantity for quality and completely in our favor.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I sort of like we had a boring summer. That's the summer the Pens needed in a sense. They needed to add players that don't wow you but definitely make the team better.

I still wish they could find that one winger. Dumping Scuds and a big winger... That would make the offseason an A+

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I sort of like we had a boring summer. That's the summer the Pens needed in a sense. They needed to add players that don't wow you but definitely make the team better.

I still wish they could find that one winger. Dumping Scuds and a big winger... That would make the offseason an A+

Just dumping Scuds makes it an A+ , if another big winger is added than JR will be the GM of the year. i

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Do we have zero interest in Daniel Alfredsson? Does he have zero interest in us? Because he'd easily fit under the cap an a 1-year contract if we sent Dupuis & Scuderi packing.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Nick Spaling ($1.800m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Simon Despres ($1.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Do we have zero interest in Daniel Alfredsson? Does he have zero interest in us? Because he'd easily fit under the cap an a 1-year contract if we sent Dupuis & Scuderi packing.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Brandon Sutter ($3.500m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Nick Spaling ($1.800m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) / Zach Sill ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kris Letang ($7.250m) / Paul Martin ($5.000m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Simon Despres ($1.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /

Alfie will only sign with Detroit. They will invite him to camp and if he has enough in the tank sign there (probably cheap).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I do not want Alfie anyway. We need a winger for beyond this season. The only veteran guys I'd want is Sharp or Marleau. Other than that, they need to be young and cost controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad