Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby Dubby Doooo

May 19, 2013
Montreal, QC
Sutter/Megna + 2015 2nd, Martin and Dumoulin for Evander Kane? I personally would not deal Sutter because we do not have anybody to play the 3C at a Stanley Cup contending level.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
No, if you can't get something full value back, you settle for making a run with Martin. The only way I can see him being worth trading for something that doesn't immediately help us is if we can get a bidding war going at the deadline for really good futures. But no amount of mediocre players would make me move Martin. It needs to be a guy that legitimately helps right away or an overpayment of futures. Otherwise, he's more valuable to us in a playoff run. Think of him as a deadline pickup.

If the team looks like a contender and can make a serious run, absolutely you keep him. However as I stated before, if it becomes clear that you aren't going to sign him and you don't see the team as a true contender, than I think it's very fair to explore taking somewhat less than full value. That doesn't have to equate to mediocre players or scraps either, maybe just not the "perfect" deal they wanted. At this point there are only rumors that he wants to test free agency. A lot can change with him and the team in the next few months so we'll see.

Trading good players off a good team isn't a solid recipe for success, but habitually letting assets leave without compensation isn't the best idea either. Especially when it's a position where it would seem the Pens have some good depth at, albeit somewhat untested.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sutter/Megna + 2015 2nd, Martin and Dumoulin for Evander Kane? I personally would not deal Sutter because we do not have anybody to play the 3C at a Stanley Cup contending level.

Sutter and Megna dont have the same value, so that is something. I really wouldn't like to trade more than 1 defenseman per trade, especially with not all our games NHL ready (Pouliot and Harrington in specific).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sutter and Megna dont have the same value, so that is something. I really wouldn't like to trade more than 1 defenseman per trade, especially with not all our games NHL ready (Pouliot and Harrington in specific).

if Sutter, Martin, a 2nd and Dumoulin gets us Kane, we better jump the hell on it. Hell, add Megna too.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You'd be looking at Martin+Pouliot/Maatta to make that happen I think.
Burns is really worth all that? I get that he's big and physical but he's spent the last two years at forward playing with one of the games best playmakers in Joe Thornton and yet he's only scored at a 24-26 goal pace each year. He'll also be 30 in March.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They have too many forwards and he can play defense. Its a numbers game, not a decision they want to make. If they are going to trade someone to fix the problem, I don't think it would be him. He's just the best solution without making a trade.

I would love for you to be right.

Doesn't the proposal kind of address that discrepancy?

I'm not saying the Sharks would necessarily do the deal...it depends on whether they're truly married to a mini-rebuild, and so far it's been all talk and no action. But if they are, I think something like this could work.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Doesn't the proposal kind of address that discrepancy?

I'm not saying the Sharks would necessarily do the deal...it depends on whether they're truly married to a mini-rebuild, and so far it's been all talk and no action. But if they are, I think something like this could work.

Moving Burns to defense also fixes it, and it also lets them keep Burns to move him back to forward if the opportunity arises.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Burns is really worth all that? I get that he's big and physical but he's spent the last two years at forward playing with one of the games best playmakers in Joe Thornton and yet he's only scored at a 24-26 goal pace each year. He'll also be 30 in March.

Not for Maatta, but I'd move Pouliot and Martin I think. I dunno, I'd have to think about it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
if Sutter, Martin, a 2nd and Dumoulin gets us Kane, we better jump the hell on it. Hell, add Megna too.

No adding Megna... I need magma and hurricane puns.

But if Sutter, Martin, Dumoulin and a 2nd gets us Kane then I'd do it, the only problem would be Martin's list. Throw in Adams out of pity.

Kane - Crosby - Hornqvist/Bennett/Downie
Kunitz - Malkin - Hornqvist/Bennett/Downie
IDK (Dupuis/signing) - Spaling - Bennett/Downie
Comeau - Goc - Free spot
Sill
:naughty:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love Burns. What it would take to get him would be crazy though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still sit here curious if a deal could be had with Carolina.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006

Wow so blow two good assets (dumo and a 2nd) along with Martin and Sutter? Are we assuming that Sutter is signed to some sort of deal and if so that's waaaaaay too much. I'd pull dumo who is going to replace some size lost by Orpik. If BOTH Sutter and Martin can't nab you a Kane then I'd say eff it and go the season bringing in the young guns throughout the season until closer to deadline and then look to unload Martin for a king's ransom and use any new found assets for the holes we see necessary to fill.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Moving Burns to defense also fixes it, and it also lets them keep Burns to move him back to forward if the opportunity arises.

It does give them flexibility. What it likely doesn't do is make them any better, now or in the future.

If Wilson was just blowing smoke, I guess it's status quo in Sharkland. If he's committed to big changes, I think a Burns trade makes sense.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I love Burns. What it would take to get him would be crazy though.

well, if we're keeping Letang and we really have a handshake deal with Ehrhoff, I'd be willing to part with the pieces it took for a stud like Burns.

(huehuehuehue)

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
I'd be down with Burns coming in here and playing on Sid's RW, but he's not my first option. Kane and ROR probably will be traded at some point, I'd rather give up more for one of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Burns, I'd just explore other options first.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd be down with Burns coming in here and playing on Sid's RW, but he's not my first option. Kane and ROR probably will be traded at some point, I'd rather give up more for one of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with Burns, I'd just explore other options first.

I'm still kinda lukewarm on Kane, even though I appreciate what he'd bring to the team.

ROR...I'd do disgusting things to get him on this team. I'd probably listen to an entire Theory of a Deadman album.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think Burns' price would just make me go after Kane or ROR instead. I haven't seen anything about San Jose wanting to move Burns, but Kane and ROR are different cases. ROR not being signed long term still concerns me, but if he was they probably wouldn't be trading him.

I'm still kinda lukewarm on Kane, even though I appreciate what he'd bring to the team.

ROR...I'd do disgusting things to get him on this team. I'd probably listen to an entire Theory of a Deadman album.

If you really wanted him on the Pens you'd listen to their entire discography. I'd watch an entire golf tournament for Kane.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What about "something" involving Martin to Minnesota for one of Coyle/Nino? Martin is from Minnesota and would probably be an easier signing for them. They could add Martin to their D-corps to play half the game like Suter and add to the arms race in the west to keep up with Anaheim, LA, Chicago, etc.

Wonder what we could do to get one of Coyle/Nino + Zucker/Tuch.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you really wanted him on the Pens you'd listen to their entire discography. I'd watch an entire golf tournament for Kane.

Dude, they've apparently got 5 albums. I'd commit suicide before I was half done.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

He's a 6'5 230 man-beast who skates like the wind.

Plus you have to pay a big price to get quality beards on your team.

tumblr_mv3wn6b91K1syk8yso1_500.png

What about "something" involving Martin to Minnesota for one of Coyle/Nino? Martin is from Minnesota and would probably be an easier signing for them. They could add Martin to their D-corps to play half the game like Suter and add to the arms race in the west to keep up with Anaheim, LA, Chicago, etc.

I'd move Martin for Nino in a heartbeat. I'm not sure Minnesota would want to, but it ultimately would help both teams.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA

Yeah, ROR is the better all-around player but I'd take either in a heartbeat

Last edited:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

I threw out Martin for Niño on the wild board a week ago and didn't get a good reception. And that wasn't even adding a plus on their side I figure should be included

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not much for trading for a more established player like Kane, mostly because of the price.

Ideally we would have developed our own stable of forward prospects ready to step up. But we didn't. We did however draft a lot of defense, and seem to have gotten some gems.

But trading three or them, or something like that, for a Kane or similar is buying high and selling low.

We would be much better trading kind for kind, a Despres or similar who happens to be a forward.

I go back to Detroit for an example:

Simon Despres
PROSPECT TALENT SCORE 7B

Talent Analysis
Despres possesses a blend of size and swift, fluid skating ability that makes him a special defensive player. He is also very unique in the sense that while his overall upside is largely unknown, particularly on the offensive side of the puck, he already has the frame, skating, and mental ability to play at the NHL level.

"Simon is interesting in the aspect that as a junior player, [he had] the abilities to do everything on the ice," said Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma. "As he turns pro, he is juggling where he fits in terms of being able to add offense, jump into the play, take risk if that's what his offensive game might be, and then be real solid defensively."

Though he will likely never be known as a physical defenseman, Despres has demonstrated a willingness to throw around his huge frame, particularly in delivering occasional bone-crunching hip checks.

Future
Despres will play in the NHL for the 2013-14 season. He projects as a top-four defenseman able to play big minutes in all situations.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/simon_despres/

For:

Tomas Jurco
PROSPECT TALENT SCORE 7.5C

Talent Analysis
A dynamic scoring forward who is infamous for his highlight-reel shootout goals, Jurco is far from a one-trick pony. Displaying a willingness to drive to the net, he looks at times closer to a power forward than a pure sniper. With game-breaking ability, the question is whether the Slovakian can put it all together. His hands are incredible, but he needs to round out his game and show more consistency in his effort.

Future
Jurco will continue to refine his game at the AHL level in 2013-14. Depending on his defensive development and Detroit's injury situation, Jurco could find himself called up for a few games in the NHL in 2013-14.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tomas_jurco/

You could not get closer as far as comparables, depending on how you view HF's rankings.

Despres is further along in development, and as a 7B is more likely to hit his ranking. Jurco has a slightly higher upside but is less likely to reach it.

Sounds like the basis for a deal no?

There are at least a dozen examples like that which are one for one trades that do not need to gut us or the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad