Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't want Kunitz to be the best winger on whatever line he's on. He would revert back to the sniper he thinks he is. As for Crosby... I'm willing to take cheap short term gambles who have upside if there's no long term solution out there.

You don't want Kunitz to be the best winger on his line.

So you put two inferior players with him?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't want Kunitz to be the best winger on whatever line he's on. He would revert back to the sniper he thinks he is. As for Crosby... I'm willing to take cheap short term gambles who have upside if there's no long term solution out there.

So let's have Sid play with inferior players so Kunitz can play differently? I don't disagree that Kunitz should go back to that puck hound, gritty player role, but playing with Hornqvist doesn't really make that happen. They would effectively be playing a similar role (although Kunitz is faster).

If those were the wingers, I'd much rather do:

Kunitz-Sid-Stemps
Booth-Geno-Hornqvist

There is at least some balance there. I don't really want Booth or Stemps anyway, so there's that.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Big empty spot on Malkin's RW. Alfie played with Zetterberg last year, I think he'd to okay with Geno.

The way I saw Zetterberg Alfredsson playing together, it was more a question of chemistry and old friends wanting to play together (Zetterberg was a huge reason Alfie ever went to Detroit, if not the reason) and not necessarily the greatest fit for the team per-say.

But hey, he put up 18 goals, 31 assists in 68 games played. I could be wrong.
I'm just hesitant about signing a 40 year old, who isn't a crash-and-bang, nor a profilic goal scorer or the worlds greatest playmaker. He's just kind of meh at this stage of his career. That's why I think that the RW spot for Geno isn't vacant for Alfie.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
So Kabanov is getting bought out. Sign him for WBS and run with it.

So I don't remember if anyone answered this like 2 weeks ago, but can we send Kapanen to WBS too?

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
Oh heck yes i'd jump on Kabanov.

The guy seems to have a so-so attitude and needs a new setting, but no doubt he's a good player in the rough.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And if we're playing the game of IF Scuderi and Dupuis were magically off the roster.

David Booth ($1.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Lee Stempniak ($2.500m)

There's no bigger fan of Booth in Pittsburgh than me. Prior to Mike Richards decapitating him, he was my favorite player to watch, league-wide, including guys like Crosby, Malkin and Datsyuk.

The line you've constructed here is significantly worse than the Crosby-Kunitz-Dupuis line that everyone has hated for so long.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There's no bigger fan of Booth in Pittsburgh than me. Prior to Mike Richards decapitating him, he was my favorite player to watch, league-wide, including guys like Crosby, Malkin and Datsyuk.

The line you've constructed here is significantly worse than the Crosby-Kunitz-Dupuis line that everyone has hated for so long.

I agree minus wanting Booth in Pittsburgh. I won't cry if it happens, but we have enough tweeners at the moment.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So let's have Sid play with inferior players so Kunitz can play differently? I don't disagree that Kunitz should go back to that puck hound, gritty player role, but playing with Hornqvist doesn't really make that happen. They would effectively be playing a similar role (although Kunitz is faster).

Well baring a major trade for an established top 6- which I don't think any of us should hold our breaths for... that is a realistic option. I think Booth would surprise some people. Vancouver was a bad fit all around, and most of last season was hampered by a injury from the season before. He's a puck possession player who's nearly as physical as Kunitz (2.01 hits/gm vs 1.83 hits/gm).

Getting someone like him is also another way to push Dupuis out of the top 6... because lets be realistic... we're not going to be able to trade him, and eventually he will come back to the lineup.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Oh heck yes i'd jump on Kabanov.

The guy seems to have a so-so attitude and needs a new setting, but no doubt he's a good player in the rough.

I don't know. Kabanov, to my knowledge, didn't show any attitude problems in Bridgeport. What he did show is a complete and utter lack of hockey sense.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I agree minus wanting Booth in Pittsburgh. I won't cry if it happens, but we have enough tweeners at the moment.

Oh, I don't necessarily want Booth. I meant, I'm a Pens fan who has been a fan of Booth, not that I'm a Pens fan who's a fan of Booth in Pittsburgh.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've been as frustrated as anyone with what Sid's had on his wing his entire career. But if we are doing a buy low option until we figure out our blue line, you can do worse than Booth. At least there's a small chance he rediscovers some of his game from his Florida days.

And I'd like our chances of one of Downie, Bennett, Booth or Spaling beating out Dupuis for a top 6 spot. At the very least, we need to ensure we have some real competition for spots.

Then hope the right trade comes along.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
By holding out on Kulemin and letting every other possible Top 6 winger sign elsewhere.

Kulemin held out on us for more money. Hemsky signed for less than market value so he could go play with Spezza. Not a whole lot of options after those two.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Kulemin held out on us for more money. Hemsky signed for less than market value so he could go play with Spezza. Not a whole lot of options after those two.

Kulemin, Michalek, and Hemsky, that's the list

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Forget it. The board's convinced that Kulemin and Grabovski was a package deal no matter what.

I'm not convinced. But it's pretty damn clear he was holding out for more money and using Grabo+Isles as leverage. If he wanted to come here and play with Geno, we were interested.

We're hardly lacking for 2nd line options at the moment. He doesn't fill the biggest hole in our top 6.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well baring a major trade for an established top 6- which I don't think any of us should hold our breaths for... that is a realistic option. I think Booth would surprise some people. Vancouver was a bad fit all around, and most of last season was hampered by a injury from the season before. He's a puck possession player who's nearly as physical as Kunitz (2.01 hits/gm vs 1.83 hits/gm).

Getting someone like him is also another way to push Dupuis out of the top 6... because lets be realistic... we're not going to be able to trade him, and eventually he will come back to the lineup.

We shouldn't be trying to push Dupuis out of the top 6 just to push him out. Booth hasn't been much better than Dupuis from a production standpoint in his career and has struggled since 2011. I'm not saying Booth isn't a better fit for a top 6 role than Dupuis in a vacuum, but it's not a clear upgrade. Given that Duper and Crosby do have some chemistry, acquiring Booth and playing him with Crosby may not be an upgrade. I'd take a flyer on him as a last resort, but let's not pretend like he's upgrading the top 6.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I've been as frustrated as anyone with what Sid's had on his wing his entire career. But if we are doing a buy low option until we figure out our blue line, you can do worse than Booth. At least there's a small chance he rediscovers some of his game from his Florida days.

And I'd like our chances of one of Downie, Bennett, Booth or Spaling beating out Dupuis for a top 6 spot. At the very least, we need to ensure we have some real competition for spots.

Then hope the right trade comes along.

I hear Zach Boychuk just got re-signed in Carolina. Too bad.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kulemin, Michalek, and Hemsky, that's the list

Vrbata. But I never heard that there was mutual interest. And Michalek never left his team, so I'm doubting he was much of an option either.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
By holding out on Kulemin and letting every other possible Top 6 winger sign elsewhere.

We don't even know if that's true but okay. I mean, the only guy I wanted other than Kulemin was Hemsky and he called Spezza about playing together. So of the 2 guys I wanted, at least, both were trying to play with friends. I still think Kulemin may not have had a preference on which friend to play with, but he wanted to get paid. 4.25 for 4 years is more than I wanted to pay so I don't mind passing on him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Vrbata. But I never heard that there was mutual interest. And Michalek never left his team, so I'm doubting he was much of an option either.

5 mil per for Vrbata was a little too rich but for only 2 years it would have been a decent option. It would have required some serious cap maneuvering though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad