Salary Cap: Free Agency IX | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It'd probably take more, but I would imagine two D-men would interest them as the basis.

And it's not like they're afraid to deal for a pending UFA. They did it with Burns and re-signed him a couple months later.

They're not moving futures/young players this time. They're moving an older player who'd be part of a mini rebuild movement.

Maybe the Larry Robinson connection with NJ gives them an upper hand in keeping him.

And I'm not really convinced Martin wants to test free agency. He just may not like the direction of the team with the youth movement on defense. We're certainly not as desperate to sign him at all costs as a team with a huge hole on defense like SJ. Orpik mentioned as much in his interview with Madden. He threw Martin's name into the group that saw the transition on defense coming.

I'm not convinced he wants to test free agency either. I just think he wants to be paid more than we can afford to pay him, and I don't blame him. But its still a risk for other teams to assume they will be able to keep him. It would have to be a team who considers themselves a contender I think, otherwise the risk isn't worth it. But the Sharks seem like a team who would want him who might be willing to chance it. Similar to us with Neal, they seem like a team who might be interested in a shake-up.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
Sutter+ for McGinn (or something around that). Trade Scuderi, retain 675k (2.725m cp hit). Add in a prospect if need be.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($4.250m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.950m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Pascal Dupuis ($3.750m) / Nick Spaling ($2.500m) / Steve Downie ($1.000m)
Blake Comeau ($0.700m) / Marcel Goc ($1.200m) / Jayson Megna ($0.874m)
Zach Sill ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Simon Despres ($1.300m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m)
Philip Samuelsson ($0.550m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (0.98% of upper limit)
Rob Scuderi ($0.675m—20.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,693,292; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,306,708

I am totally okay with this. Not quite sure how I feel about Craig Anderson though.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
and adding Martin lets them keep Burns at forward.

That's a good point. I am surprised we haven't seen San Jose make some kind of significant moves after their playoff collapse last year. What happened to the E4 Trade day of Fury or whatever?

Also, I've been combing around for news on Stemp, but nothing going on with him so far it seems. Someone is going to get a very useful player on the cheap it looks like.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's a good point. I am surprised we haven't seen San Jose make some kind of significant moves after their playoff collapse last year. What happened to the E4 Trade day of Fury or whatever?

Also, I've been combing around for news on Stemp, but nothing going on with him so far it seems. Someone is going to get a very useful player on the cheap it looks like.

**** it, pick him up! Dump Scuderi and get Setoguchi too. Collect all of the middle 6 tweeners :laugh:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Bennett
Setoguchi-Sutter-Stempniak
Spaling-Goc-Downie
Comeau

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I wish we could exploit that and take Burns off their hands.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Like Ogre said, I don't see anyone doing that for Martin either. That includes Marleau, and I don't even want the guy at his age and cap hit.

If we're serious about getting a legit top 6 winger better than Kunitz, it's probably going to cost us a package of a few of our better trade chips. One of Martin/Sutter, one of our higher end defense prospects, and possibly a draft pick.

I think Sutter might be the best chance at landing a top 6 winger. He's young, he's still an RFA, he had a good playoffs, he's got that name and maybe he could be a passable 2C if you're desperate. Sutter, Dumoulin and a pick is a pretty decent package, and it's one that can be improved on if necessary.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd be curious what a package of Martin, Sutter, and Dumoulin could fetch. Top pair defenseman, 3rd line center, and a legitimate, nearly NHL ready defensive prospect.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the ideal guy isn't out there, don't trade either. Trading Martin for a guy that isn't a clear upgrade over what we already have at wing makes no sense at all. If I'm trading Martin, I want someone who will come in and play at least as well as Kunitz this year. If there isn't a reasonable chance of that happening, I'd keep Martin.

Its going to be a big risk for any team to trade for Martin if they expect him to be around after this year. Basically, take what he's worth and add what his rights would be worth in the off-season.

Absolutely. Moving Martin for the right return is fine... but still, stay far away from Marleau. And if he ages gracefully, and is productive into his late 30s, good for him. But let another team take that risk.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Absolutely. Moving Martin for the right return is fine... but still, stay far away from Marleau. And if he ages gracefully, and is productive into his late 30s, good for him. But let another team take that risk.

I still disagree here. Marleau is good enough to take that risk on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You'd be looking at Martin+Pouliot/Maatta to make that happen I think.

If it were Martin + Pouliot, or something along those lines, I'd be fine with it. Pouliot's got high potential but I think he has a lot of refining to do before he becomes a big net positive in the NHL, and competing at our highest level during Sid and Geno's primes has to be our #1 priority.

Can't give up Maatta there.

I think Sutter might be the best chance at landing a top 6 winger. He's young, he's still an RFA, he had a good playoffs, he's got that name and maybe he could be a passable 2C if you're desperate. Sutter, Dumoulin and a pick is a pretty decent package, and it's one that can be improved on if necessary.

Possible. Hard for me to get a feel for the value Sutter has around the league. Great playoffs, but he's going to be making some good coin on this contract and he's a 2nd/3rd line tweener without a whole lot of offensive upside or shutdown ability.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Hopefully the right deal is out there, if not, they may have to settle for something less than full value if it becomes evident that Martin either wants to test free agency or is asking for a contract that the Pens can't afford.

I would just really hate to see this team lose another player to free agency with nothing to show for it when there was a deal to be made 6 months before.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If it were Martin + Pouliot, or something along those lines, I'd be fine with it. Pouliot's got high potential but I think he has a lot of refining to do before he becomes a big net positive in the NHL, and competing at our highest level during Sid and Geno's primes has to be our #1 priority.

if its Pouliot instead of Maatta, we're still adding.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hopefully the right deal is out there, if not, they may have to settle for something less than full value if it becomes evident that Martin either wants to test free agency or is asking for a contract that the Pens can't afford.

I would just really hate to see this team lose another player to free agency with nothing to show for it when there was a deal to be made 6 months before.

No, if you can't get something full value back, you settle for making a run with Martin. The only way I can see him being worth trading for something that doesn't immediately help us is if we can get a bidding war going at the deadline for really good futures. But no amount of mediocre players would make me move Martin. It needs to be a guy that legitimately helps right away or an overpayment of futures. Otherwise, he's more valuable to us in a playoff run. Think of him as a deadline pickup.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Crosby and Malkin's prime being when... till they're 32/33?

That gives us roughly 5-7 seasons left... and the way to extend that (as we hear from all the players getting older) is to surround them with younger players. Which means players like DP will be vital in 3-4 years when he's really ready to make a strong NHL impact (if not sooner) to keep Crosby and Malkin feeling young and youthful.

That means trading them and other futures away for a 35 yr old winger probably about the stupidest thing we could do. And would leave us with a poor future beyond their prime years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm not saying I wouldn't love Burns, but we'd be paying out the ass to get him. I just can't see them moving him.

I mean, they're moving him back to defense where he's got his own set of issues, so I'm not sure he's untouchable. Martin's a better defenseman than Burns, and Pouliot has the reasonable potential to be if they're skewing to the rebuild.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean, they're moving him back to defense where he's got his own set of issues, so I'm not sure he's untouchable. Martin's a better defenseman than Burns, and Pouliot has the reasonable potential to be if they're skewing to the rebuild.

But Martin is only signed for 1 year, and Pouliot has never played a game of professional hockey. I just don't see it happening. The reason to bring in a d-man would be so they can move Burns back to forward.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Crosby and Malkin's prime being when... till they're 32/33?

That gives us roughly 5-7 seasons left... and the way to extend that (as we hear from all the players getting older) is to surround them with younger players. Which means players like DP will be vital in 3-4 years when he's really ready to make a strong NHL impact (if not sooner) to keep Crosby and Malkin feeling young and youthful.

That means trading them and other futures away for a 35 yr old winger probably about the stupidest thing we could do. And would leave us with a poor future beyond their prime years.

For the record Rip, I don't want Marleau. I was referring to Burns.

3-4 years is probably about the timeframe for Pouliot to become a noteworthy net positive for the Pens. Not necessarily a star, but a noteworthy net positive. He has a lot to clean up in his own end.

If we traded Pouliot, I think the worst that would happen is that we'd give up a great PP quarterback and have to rely on a merely good one. We have great d in transition and we have great offensive d at even strength.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
But Martin is only signed for 1 year, and Pouliot has never played a game of professional hockey. I just don't see it happening. The reason to bring in a d-man would be so they can move Burns back to forward.

But...they're moving him to defense, where he's not as good, so that's clearly the priority for them. Martin is better now, and Pouliot probably will be in the future.

Pouliot hasn't played a game yet in the NHL, but he was Canada's #1 defenseman at the WJCs and the CHL defenseman of the year. The Sharks don't have any dynamic d in the pipeline whatsoever, and if they're truly going to a mini-rebuild, you'd think that would be a target. If we had the opportunity to land his forward equivalent, we'd all be foaming at the mouth.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But...they're moving him to defense, where he's not as good, so that's clearly the priority for them. Martin is better now, and Pouliot probably will be in the future.

They have too many forwards and he can play defense. Its a numbers game, not a decision they want to make. If they are going to trade someone to fix the problem, I don't think it would be him. He's just the best solution without making a trade.

Pouliot hasn't played a game yet in the NHL, but he was Canada's #1 defenseman at the WJCs and the CHL defenseman of the year. The Sharks don't have any dynamic d in the pipeline whatsoever, and if they're truly going to a mini-rebuild, you'd think that would be a target. If we had the opportunity to land his forward equivalent, we'd all be foaming at the mouth.

I would love for you to be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad