Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Senovision

May 23, 2011
There is not a team in the league with 4 softer dmen that play 80 games a season as Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and Brannstrom. .....no wonder we are at the bottom of the league.... Throw JBD in that group too except he doesn't play 80 games.
We need a few big bearded gallutes on our d.
Every year when the Stanley Cup is won there are always some big bearded gallute dmen hoisting the Cup.
Couple that with poor goaltending and it is easy to see why we our roster is poorly constructed.
Staios has an unenviable job this offseason.
I still think there will be a trade made this offseason that none of us had even considered.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If and I am saying IF (I know we aren't going to) we actually signed Chychrun to a 6 to $7 million contract we would have around $27 million dollars allocated to 4 overpaid dmen next season.
No other team in the league has that much allocated to 4 dmen. Too much dollar allocation to those 4. And $20.5 miilion to 3 overpaid dmen next season is a problem.
It's crazy to think that Calgary got rid of Hanifin, Zadorov, and Tanev this season and they still have a nice group of dmen. Talk about "an embarrassment of riches."
If we trade Chychrun, it's entirely possible we spend the same amount trying to lure in a guy like Pesce.

Reactions: Bileur and bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is not a team in the league with 4 softer dmen that play 80 games a season as Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and Brannstrom. .....no wonder we are at the bottom of the league....
Every year when the Stanley Cup is won there are always some big bearded gallute dmen hoisting the Cup.
Couple that with poor goaltending and it is easy to see why we our roster is poorly constructed.
I still think there will be a trade made this offseason that none of us had even considered.

lol....been a long, long time since I've heard someone say galoot. Couple that with the Seeing Things dude, and that's an amazing post.

And you're right. Our D is soft as charmin. We need at least two big orcs that spend their time hitting people and guarding the next the way a dragon protects their gold.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There is not a team in the league with 4 softer dmen that play 80 games a season as Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun, and Brannstrom. .....no wonder we are at the bottom of the league....
Yeah, I agree on the softness, but I wouldn't include Sandy here. The problem isn't the softness, it's guys who are ineffective because they're soft, and that's not Sandy.

But I also remember how bad guys like Gudbransson, Boro, Gryba, JBrown and Dion played for us at times too. I'll take soft guys over them.

Our D and goaltending underperform relative to their potential every single year. I really do blame the coaching and the systems as much if not more than the personnel.

Bring in Kleven and another RD and guage the market for chabot and church.

I'd keep Brann despite his softness just because i still see advancement and he's shown a lot more skill and confidence with the puck this season. He's still putting it together bit by bit.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think it's more about fit, Chychrun was definitely an upgrade for us, but he hasn't fit at all, I imagine unless they see a fit, they'd rather move Marino for something else just like we'd probably like a do over on trading for Chych. Not that he wasn't worth the price paid (that's at least debatable).
Chychrun absolutely was not worth the price they paid. He's terrible defenisvely, one of the lowest compete levels in hockey. You do not win with players like him. There's a reason they just fired a bunch of pro scouts.

Yeah, I agree on the softness, but I wouldn't include Sandy here. The problem isn't the softness, it's guys who are ineffective because they're soft, and that's not Sandy.

But I also remember how bad guys like Gudbransson, Boro, Gryba, JBrown and Dion played for us at times too. I'll take soft guys over them.

Our D and goaltending underperform relative to their potential every single year. I really do blame the coaching and the systems as much if not more than the personnel.

Bring in Kleven and another RD and guage the market for chabot and church.

I'd keep Brann despite his softness just because i still see advancement and he's shown a lot more skill and confidence with the puck this season. He's still putting it together bit by bit.
The choice is not bottom simply pairing physical men or soft over paid players. There's a medium and frankly they're paying the soft d men they have way more than the physical guys you mentioned and getting the same results. It's about having a balance and players slotting in properly.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not good enough. That second line no bueno
Ok I see you say sign someone then. Ok
Joseph stutzle and giroux was very good together. So make that switch and I think that works.

But I think we will see Norris in that wing spot

Log on on a Tuesday morning to see Sandy soft discourse.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chychrun absolutely was not worth the price they paid. He's terrible defenisvely, one of the lowest compete levels in hockey. You do not win with players like him. There's a reason they just fired a bunch of pro scouts.
He's certainly underperformed here relative to the acquisition cost, no argument there, but he's got a longer career than just his time here, I think he was better in Arz than he has been here.

I think it's possible in the right circumstances he could be effective though, and I'm not convinced this season is representative of what he can provide. But, maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is all you can expect, time will tell I guess but either way I'd rather move on because even if he can live up to expectations he isn't really a fit for what we need.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Hypothetical scenario.

The Salt Lake City Roadkill win the draft lottery. Their new ownership wants to make a splash. They want to build a contender right off the bat.

Josh Norris is nerfed. He won't play in the 2024-25 regular season, and may not play again.

Brady has not asked for a trade, but in his exit interview it is made clear that he is unhappy and frustrated. He has a year until his NMC kicks in and the team doesn't want to risk having to trade him from a position of weakness if he asks for a trade right before or shortly after his NMC kicks in.

:sens
Brady
Korpisalo (Negative value)
BOS

for

:coyotes2
1st overall
Weber (Negative value. Gets the Roadkill out of LTI, doesn't negatively affect the Senators since they will already be in LTI with Josh Norris.)

Roadkill take Korpisalo as additional value to Ottawa. They can buy him out, bury him, whatever. Ottawa takes Weber as a consolation to Roadkill because the team being in LTI with Norris means that adding Weber doesn't change anything this upcoming season. We're assuming Norris won't return for the 2024-2025 season.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Hypothetical scenario.

The Salt Lake City Roadkill win the draft lottery. Their new ownership wants to make a splash. They want to build a contender right off the bat.

Josh Norris is nerfed. He won't play in the 2024-25 regular season, and may not play again.

Brady has not asked for a trade, but in his exit interview it is made clear that he is unhappy and frustrated. He has a year until his NMC kicks in and the team doesn't want to risk having to trade him from a position of weakness if he asks for a trade right before or shortly after his NMC kicks in.

:sens
Brady
Korpisalo (Negative value)
BOS

for

:coyotes2
1st overall
Weber (Negative value. Gets the Roadkill out of LTI, doesn't negatively affect the Senators since they will already be in LTI with Josh Norris.)

Roadkill take Korpisalo as additional value to Ottawa. They can buy him out, bury him, whatever. Ottawa takes Weber as a consolation to Roadkill because the team being in LTI with Norris means that adding Weber doesn't change anything this upcoming season. We're assuming Norris won't return for the 2024-2025 season.
No. At that point we will be rebuilding for another 3-4 years so we may as well keep Korpi to help the tank.

Also would need to trade Chabot before his NTC as he would fall out of our new window.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hypothetical scenario.

I'm hoping Utah has new rich management that will take on Norris to abuse the LTIR.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I'm hoping Utah has new rich management that will take on Norris to abuse the LTIR.

The only way taking on Norris would take advantage of the LTIR loophole would be if he will be back for the playoffs. That would be shortsighted because there is no guarantee that he will be as effective as he was in the past and they will have to hold his cap hit for many years. If he is LTIRetired, there is no loophole to exploit.

It's why in this scenario, dumping Weber to Ottawa makes sense, because we're assuming Norris will be on LTIR for the entire season. Granted, Ottawa would still have to deal with Weber's LTIR for the 25-26 season, but that's not a bad tradeoff if the dynamic is that Brady is valuable enough that they will take the Korpisalo contract, but they want us to take Weber to offset some of the negative value.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
No. At that point we will be rebuilding for another 3-4 years so we may as well keep Korpi to help the tank.

Also would need to trade Chabot before his NTC as he would fall out of our new window.

Chabot's NTC is never going to be a major concern because it is only a 10 team NTC. He also isn't treadable without taking back cash.

Brady's trade protection is a NMC, and he almost certainly extremely valuable throughout the league.

If you look at the hypothetical presented in the post, the only way to avoid Brady wanting out is to win next year. Which isn't likely with the makeup of our team. I mean, it could happen. But would you be comfortable betting serious money on us making the playoffs?

I guess you have to weigh whether you think him asking out next year is inevitable, or whether it can be avoided. If it's inevitable, you're not getting anything close to this type of return next summer when the Senators lose a lot of leverage. He will still get a massive return, but not like this.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Not to kick a franchise while their down, but if Sean Durzi doesn't want to sign long-term in Salt Lake City, maybe we could trade for him(he's an Ontario boy, so he may not mind playing for us).

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Every time I try to create a team for next year I remember chabot and Norris cannot be moved.

He's certainly underperformed here relative to the acquisition cost, no argument there, but he's got a longer career than just his time here, I think he was better in Arz than he has been here.

I think it's possible in the right circumstances he could be effective though, and I'm not convinced this season is representative of what he can provide. But, maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is all you can expect, time will tell I guess but either way I'd rather move on because even if he can live up to expectations he isn't really a fit for what we need.
Was he better in Arizona? Hard to know. It’s hockey wasteland and people are paying attention to stats only. We wouldn’t know if he was soft as butter. And every mistake or bad stat is “oh he’s on a bad team”. When you actually watch the guy…. Man. He’s not much out there.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Chicago: Chabot LD & Forsberg G ($10.735 mil out)
To Ottawa: Seth Jones RD ($9.5 mil in) - difference $1.235 mil

Chabot out - Jones in
Forsberg out - Sogaard in
Kubalik out - Ostapchuk in
Brannstrom out - Kleven in

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux
Ostapchuk - Greig - Joseph
Katchouk - Kastelic - Kelly/McEwan = $50 mil

Sanderson - Jones
Chychrun - Zub
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic = $30 mil

Korpisalo - Sogaard = $5 = $85 mil

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Chabot out - Jones in

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux

Sanderson - Jones
Chychrun - Zub

Korpisalo - Sogaard = $5 = $85 mil

The D, goaltending, and forward depth still aren’t good enough. This team likely misses again. We’d be better off replacing Chabot with someone at 5 and spending the extra on depth or goaltending.

I definitely want to add Kleven but have no interest in pairing him with those two. There aren’t any ideal options but maybe someone like Shattenkirk. Ideally he’d be paired with a right handed vet who can move the puck so he doesn’t have to take on that role for 82 games.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If EK's $11 million ass could be moved, I gotta believe someone will take a chance on Norris or Chabot.

Jarmo and PD might be gone, but some GM might be looking to fill those shoes.
Karlsson doesn’t have crippling injury history also 4 time norrris winner

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Chabot could be moved easily and I assume would get a good return.

Norris is highly unlikely he gets moved. No one touches him unless it's for a cap dump and the Sens don't do that.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Chabot out - Jones in

Stutzle - Pinto - Giroux

Sanderson - Jones
Chychrun - Zub