Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nemec is ready for sure.

They don't really need either guy, but if NJD sees Chychrun as an upgrade over Marino that might be enough to get it done.
I think it's more about fit, Chychrun was definitely an upgrade for us, but he hasn't fit at all, I imagine unless they see a fit, they'd rather move Marino for something else just like we'd probably like a do over on trading for Chych. Not that he wasn't worth the price paid (that's at least debatable).

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Where was VGK in the standings when Stone was placed on LTIR though? It was some time ago I think, and I don’t remember. If they were so far ahead of those closest conference teams, then I suppose the risk was minimal.

The LTIR thing does favour the richer teams though. Not all teams could afford to do this I suppose.
Aren't big contracts generally insured though? I imagine they're not paying out cash for Stone right now.
To NJD:
Chychrun (1yr x 4.6m; ext. 5yrs x 6.5m)

To OTT:
Marino (3yrs x 4.4m)

Who says no?
Probably fair. Chych has slightly more value in a vacuum but 1 year v 3 years of term evens it out imo. Makes alot of sense.
They acquired him for the last hoorah with Crosby, Malkin and Letang. It was some poor planning by Dubas, and now he’s saddled with the contract, if he could move it, which I don’t think he can, he would.

That hoorah is here. There is nothing but downhill from here with the Pens, Dubas knows this which is why he was a seller at the deadline.
In fairness, Dubas couldn't hit the rebuild button with Crosby/Malkin/Letang still playing, he owed it to them to give them something to work with. It didn't work out, but I can't really fault him for it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We should be happy that we got to enjoy EK’s best years.

Brining him back to absolutely suck while we need to start being good would be the ultimate tarnishing of his rep.

It’s better this way, guys in here can still talk about the good old days and fool themselves into thinking what could be if we magically acquired him, without us actually every having to acquire him.

Perfect indeed

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I think Sanderson looking great running the top PP should put the Karlsson talk to bed.

We need a top 4 RD but we absolutely don't need another offensive blueliner that lacks compete and makes too many mistakes.

We already have one too many of those guys. which is why Chychrun or Chabot (probably the former) will be traded in the off-season to make room for Kleven.

I could see Karlsson being brought back on a cheap deal after this one to pair with Kleven (or similar) on the third pair.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Karlsson makes zero sense from an on ice perspective. You can justify it a a lateral move if Chabot is going the other way. The only thing that makes Karlsson to Ottawa an intriguing story is the off ice element. Alfredsson is involved with the organization again. This current core has failed to gain any momentum. From a marketing POV, if they have fears over any stars not re-signing or asking out, bringing back one of the biggest names in franchise history might make sense.

Realistically, it's better if he doesn't come back with his current level of play. If you're a fan of his, do you really want him to come back here and not be great? It would be different if he was coming in like Spezza was in Toronto, where it's a veteran signing a cheap deal at the end of their career, where expectations are in line with their age and contract.

I would be all for him returning, because I have zero confidence that this team will turn the corner, and I think the chaos would at least be interesting. I can't imagine bringing back the previous captain is good for the room, unless they don't like the current leadership core and think undermining it could lead to the team being better in the long run.

Bringing in a veteran top 9 forward like a Foligno-type who knows their role is to be a secondary piece and mentor the current leadership group is completely different from bringing in the ex-captain, who was the center of the world here, who by his own admission still thinks he is among the best in the world.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Aren't big contracts generally insured though? I imagine they're not paying out cash for Stone right now.

Probably fair. Chych has slightly more value in a vacuum but 1 year v 3 years of term evens it out imo. Makes alot of sense.

In fairness, Dubas couldn't hit the rebuild button with Crosby/Malkin/Letang still playing, he owed it to them to give them something to work with. It didn't work out, but I can't really fault him for it.
From what I’ve read, its only about 5 players per team (or something along those lines) that are covered by insurance and its 80% of their salary that is covered. I suppose Stone would be covered with the aforementioned parameters in mind though (just guessing). I guess I remember the odd injury where the player wasn’t covered by insurance.

The real main point or question was where was VGK in the standings at the time they placed him on LTIR. I guess the other point is serving as a distraction to the point I was trying to make. Maybe I’ll delete that sentence as it was an add on sentence that wasn’t important.

Reactions: BigRig4

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
On name I would expect something extra coming from New Jersey
Marino is their top pair RD and has a longer contract. It would also depend on whether they feel they need another offensive defenseman. So, not sure if they’d move Marino for Chychrun, let alone pony up more. Although superfluous, no idea what on name means either.

Last edited:

vandelay

Nov 3, 2022
Here's a wild one for your Monday morning:

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

Lots of complaining about Drake's game in here so I assume most would be happy to see him go. 1 good one bad for one good one bad. Calgary accepts that they have some rebuilding to do and getting less years of Korpisalo (potential buy-out) helps them start that process. That Huberdeau has to be top 5 worst in the league but Ottawa hopes a line of Norris (when he's back) and Huberdeau (coming back home) makes magic.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

Lots of complaining about Drake's game in here so I assume most would be happy to see him go. 1 good one bad for one good one bad. Calgary accepts that they have some rebuilding to do and getting less years of Korpisalo (potential buy-out) helps them start that process. That Huberdeau has to be top 5 worst in the league but Ottawa hopes a line of Norris (when he's back) and Huberdeau (coming back home) makes magic.
Batherson one of the most inproved under Jacques.

We’re taking on a lot of dollars there

Reactions: Bileur

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

Crazy.
No one should be complaining about Batherson. Especially on his contract. You assume wrong that “most would be happy to see him go”

Bad trade. Move along.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

helll naw, Huberdeau was overpaid from day one and is probably the worst contract in the league. I'd rather buyout Korpisalo or stomach the remainder of his deal than take on Huberdeau

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
helll naw, Huberdeau was overpaid from day one and is probably the worst contract in the league. I'd rather buyout Korpisalo or stomach the remainder of his deal than take on Huberdeau
How the hell does that guy go from averaging 100 pts per 82 games over a 4 season stretch, then put up a 55 pts per 82 average after getting traded to Calgary...

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How the hell does that guy go from averaging 100 pts per 82 games over a 4 season stretch, then put up a 55 pts per 82 average after getting traded to Calgary...

aleksander-barkov-2023-234.jpg

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

Change Batherson to Norris, and it makes more sense. Especially if it turns out his shoulder was a pre-existing condition, and ownership is on the hook for his salary even if he ends up on LTIR.

While we are no longer a budget team, most owners do have their limits and 52.1M is still a lot of money to pay a player not to play.

I guess maybe the counter to that is based on Huberdeau's game so far he has also been paid not to play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Joseph-Pinto (6m*6)-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Ostapchuk
Kelly(1x1)-Kastelic-Kachouk (1x1)
Extra: MacEwen, Crookshank, or any PTO type signings to bring in some vet experience

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Marino
Kleven-JBD
Extra: Hamonic

Starter (Broissoit, Stolarz, Fleury, Samsonov)
Forsberg

Buyout Korpisalo, Sign Pinto to 6x6 and bottom sixers to 1x1, trade Chychrun for Marino, sign a goalie (Broissoit, Stolarz, Fleury, Samsonov) to no more than 5 mil 3 years,

23 man roster, 86.2m

To me, that's a reasonable path if we want to extend Pinto with term. We could bridge Pinto to add some flexibility, and ideally we can sign a UFA RHD (Pesce, DeMelo, Roy) and use Chychrun to improve elsewhere (maybe a vet version of what Ostapchuk could become, or move Joseph to his spot and get a more offensive minded guy that can play top 6)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Huberdeau and Markstrom
for
Batherson and Korpisalo

Gross. Batherson has been a new man since JM took over and even if he was nothing more than a 1-dimensional 55pt winger, this is still an easy no.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Gross. Batherson has been a new man since JM took over and even if he was nothing more than a 1-dimensional 55pt winger, this is still an easy no.
I wouldn't do it either, but if dollars were equal, it's hard to argue it wouldn't improve the team as of the day of the trade.

Markstrom stomps all over Korpisalo while Huberdeau brings close to what Batherson does and are both mostly 1 dimensional wingers of similar ilk.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
To NJD:
Chychrun (1yr x 4.6m; ext. 5yrs x 6.5m)

To OTT:
Marino (3yrs x 4.4m)

Who says no?

New Jersey.

They don't need another D like Chychrun. Hamilton, Hughes and Nemec can run their PPs.

Could see them dealing Marino in a year or so if Casey proves to be ready, but no reason for them to rush to make that move.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
New Jersey.

They don't need another D like Chychrun. Hamilton, Hughes and Nemec can run their PPs.

Could see them dealing Marino in a year or so if Casey proves to be ready, but no reason for them to rush to make that move.
Hughes is the only LD among them, that said they're probably fine with Seigenthaler and Bahl as their left d behind Hughes so it's probably not that likely of a trade but then again, they may be looking to change things after missing the playoffs so idk

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Joseph-Pinto (6m*6)-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Ostapchuk
Kelly(1x1)-Kastelic-Kachouk (1x1)
Extra: MacEwen, Crookshank, or any PTO type signings to bring in some vet experience

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Marino
Kleven-JBD
Extra: Hamonic

Starter (Broissoit, Stolarz, Fleury, Samsonov)
Forsberg

Buyout Korpisalo, Sign Pinto to 6x6 and bottom sixers to 1x1, trade Chychrun for Marino, sign a goalie (Broissoit, Stolarz, Fleury, Samsonov) to no more than 5 mil 3 years,

23 man roster, 86.2m

To me, that's a reasonable path if we want to extend Pinto with term. We could bridge Pinto to add some flexibility, and ideally we can sign a UFA RHD (Pesce, DeMelo, Roy) and use Chychrun to improve elsewhere (maybe a vet version of what Ostapchuk could become, or move Joseph to his spot and get a more offensive minded guy that can play top 6)
Not good enough. That second line no bueno
Ok I see you say sign someone then. Ok

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Buyout: Korpisalo & Hamonic

IN: RD (Roy/Demelo/Tanev/Pesce)

IN: New goalie (Stolarz/Brossoit/Samsonov/etc.)

IN: Middle six winger & 3rd pair RD

Pinto signed to bridge contract

Money left over if needed for acquisitions, e.g., increase 2LW from $3 to just under $5 m.

1713219774840.png

Last edited:

Senovision

May 23, 2011
If and I am saying IF (I know we aren't going to) we actually signed Chychrun to a 6 to $7 million contract we would have around $27 million dollars allocated to 4 overpaid dmen next season.
No other team in the league has that much allocated to 4 dmen. Too much dollar allocation to those 4. And $20.5 miilion to 3 overpaid dmen next season is a problem.
It's crazy to think that Calgary got rid of Hanifin, Zadorov, and Tanev this season and they still have a nice group of dmen. Talk about "an embarrassment of riches."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If and I am saying IF (I know we aren't going to) we actually signed Chychrun to a 6 to $7 million contract we would have around $27 million dollars allocated to 4 overpaid dmen next season.
No other team in the league has that much allocated to 4 dmen. Too much dollar allocation to those 4. And $20.5 miilion to 3 overpaid dmen next season is a problem.
It's crazy to think that Calgary got rid of Hanifin, Zadorov, and Tanev this season and they still have a nice group of dmen. Talk about "an embarrassment of riches."
Sanderson isn't overpaid whatsoever, nor is Zub

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chychrun with the -31 is wild. Hamonic is closest D with -10 (in 48 games)

Over the entire rebuild, 2018-today, the other D with the worst +/`- were Lajoie in 18-19 on the worst team in the league at -25 (only 56 games), Ceci the same year at -22, and Mete in 2021-22 with -19 in only 37 games...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad