Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Could they send down Kelly and sign Bailey to a league minimum? Or can they send down Kelly and keep up Smejkal?
We can do this. Bailey's league minimum will be slightly higher than Kellys

We can also swap Kelly with smejkal however smejkal has about a 100k higher cap hit so pinto would need to sign for 1.5 or less

Reactions: bert

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Definitely not surprising and I think this is a great sign that they're prioritizing the best roster possible.

JBD is a bust, so be it. Same goes for Sokolov and Thomson imo. Much ado about nothing at this point really and if they aren't effective players, move on from them.

If they do the same to Kelly, I'll be stoked, but I'm skeptical given last years treatment.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
hate the idea of running a 20 man roster. Really hope that’s not the plan here.
It might be Option B. Option A might be trading a player to obtain a draft pick and thus remove that player's cap hit. Option C might be trading a player and a high pick (1st or second round) to get a lower draft pick and thus remove/reduce that player's cap hit. There are many potential options.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Probably, but my super sexy jacked physique is worth it
My son says he has a great 6 pack; I counter with "I have a full 24!" :)

Assuming Pinto comes at 1.5 and the line ups we have seen during preseason here is my prediction at opening night roster

12 f 6 d 2 g
no spare forwards and D.

Its tricky which way they go with 4th line LW. I think it should be Smejkal but they likely stick with Kelly as it will save money. Either player will have to be waived This is also a disadvantage to Greig and Jarventie both players would make the 4th line better but 2 way salary and waiver eligibility will prevent us from icing the best possible roster...

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
Batherson - Norris - Tarasenko
Kubalik - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan

Chychrun - Chabot
Sanderson - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Thats still a deadly roster imo.
Does it for me, given the cap situation.

Reactions: Liver King

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Does the jbd and soko waiving completely remove their cap hits?

capfriendly has us at 121K in space.
+ 1.58 mill cap for jbd and soko
= 1.79 mill in space now?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

They have to clear waivers first.

If you go onto arm chair GM you can see how much space we have once they are waived.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I would not trade Pinto for Lafreniere.

From the perspective of who the Sens need more and who might project to be better, I would not either.

From the perspective of someone who loves absolute chaos and a good story, I would.

The trade makes zero sense anyways. There would have to be multiple different components to bring a middle 6C to Ottawa, since it is pretty clear something is up with Norris. Not to mention, Lafreniere faces the same issues here as he would in New York, there are too many wingers ahead of him.

They get cap space, but it's not real functional cap space because they will theoretically replace them with another player who makes 775k+ in order to get up to at least the 20 players needed to play a game without being short handed.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I think the plan is to sign Pinto to a 1 year deal.

If he wants 2.5 x 2 they may settle on a 1 year deal at 1.5 with a handshake agreement on a 3.5m extension in Jan. 5 mil over two years either way

The hold up for this could have been the Staios hiring, as the agent needs to put a lot of trust in the GM for this to work

We obviously are not trading Brann, and if Joseph is getting dealt it wouldn’t make much sense to risk losing Sokolov for nothing

Pinto gets the money he wants and better line mates. But we run a small roster

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Sorry if this has been mentioned but is it allowed to reacquire Murray? We know he's not going to play this year, sure we'll be on the hook for 20ish percent of his salary but getting that 1.5 million back in cap space would be nice

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Sorry if this has been mentioned but is it allowed to reacquire Murray? We know he's not going to play this year, sure we'll be on the hook for 20ish percent of his salary but getting that 1.5 million back in cap space would be nice
I suspect Leafs helping out a divisional rival would cost as much as just moving Joseph

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And the Leafs need that LTIR space as much, if not more, than us.
Any LTIR space they lose with trading Murray is made up for by not having Murray's cap hit, they'd still have 5.6 mil in LTIR relief from Muzzin, and still be about 3 mil over the cap (beyond what LTIR relief covers) with a 23 man roster.

I'm not sure I follow how they need his LTIR space.

Reactions: Masked
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad