Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I would imagine that we are all over Oliver Kaski. Offensive RD with size and a big shot, had one of the best seasons in Liiga history. Won player of the year. 23 years old. Suspect defensively at times, but this is a good player.

He'll be 24 before the year is over, but he had both a late growth spurt and is a rather recent convert from forward to defense. Could be a longer development curve there as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I would imagine that we are all over Oliver Kaski. Offensive RD with size and a big shot, had one of the best seasons in Liiga history. Won player of the year. 23 years old. Suspect defensively at times, but this is a good player.

He'll be 24 before the year is over, but he had both a late growth spurt and is a rather recent convert from forward to defense. Could be a longer development curve there as well.

He’ll be someone to watch at the World Championships for sure

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Nazem Kadri for Rasmus Ristolainen

Andreas Johnsson for Boone Jenner

Connor Brown for a Zach Kassian

Patrick Marleau (2 mil ret) for SJS 2nd

Nikita Zaitsev for Erik Gudbranson

Sign Wayne Simmonds 2 yrs x 4.5 million

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Moore - - - Jenner - - Simmonds
Petan - - - Gauthier - - - Kassian

Rielly - - - - Dermott
Muzzin - Ristolainen
Rosen - Gudbranson

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They wouldn't do that + lil, 1st and more

Only way leafs get someone like risto is marner or maybe nylander plus but honestly doubt they would do that too

Your massively over valuing Risto

He can't defend worth a bucket of ****, he's Gardiner but worse

Marner or Nylander + for him should be an automatic firing for the GM stupid enough to even think that's a decent idea

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Average salary 5 years ago in Liga was 80k, median 60k Euros.
If the Leafs are willing to give him Borgman type deal (200k salary in the AHL, 700k in NHL with a guaranteed 300k minimum) he would be making a good amount more money guaranteed.

I'm all for adding guys who might be a thing, even if it's a rare chance he makes the NHL he would at least help keep the AHL Marlies on track.

Having a winning culture in the AHL seems to have helped develop our other prospects faster and better.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Nazem Kadri for Rasmus Ristolainen

Andreas Johnsson for Boone Jenner

Connor Brown for a Zach Kassian

Patrick Marleau (2 mil ret) for SJS 2nd

Nikita Zaitsev for Erik Gudbranson

Sign Wayne Simmonds 2 yrs x 4.5 million

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Moore - - - Jenner - - Simmonds
Petan - - - Gauthier - - - Kassian

Rielly - - - - Dermott
Muzzin - Ristolainen
Rosen - Gudbranson

none of those are upgrades. Ristolainen is terrible, just look at his numbers this year, Gudbranson is one of the worst regular d-men in the NHL.

Simmonds is aging, Kassian isn't good either.

The only one I like in that group is Boone Jenner but I'm not giving up Johnsson for him.

Reactions: Rob Brown

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Gladly accept Zaitsev for Gudbrandson. Just phone the kid next time deadline approaches.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Even with ~12.5 million in dead money (buyouts, permanent IR players, etc.) The Sens have only 44.9 mill committed to 14 active players with no significant FAs to sign except Ceci.

The Sens might be so desperate for salary to reach the floor they give up assets for retired or injured players.
It would make kore sense for the Sens to go to free agency and overpay players than to to give up assets to hit the cap floor.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
It would make kore sense for the Sens to go to free agency and overpay players than to to give up assets to hit the cap floor.
Just to be clear, I was being facetious, as I dont believe they will give up assets for dead cap, but I do think they will be keen to add dead cap space so the cost would be minimal. That said with Melnyk's in charge I doubt the Sens do anything that would help the Leafs.

To your point, while what you're saying makes sense there's a couple caveats. The Sens have lots of cap space but they're also cheap. Overpaying UFAs isn't what cheap teams like to do. I fully expect the Sens to pick up at least one significant dead money contract in the offseason and get virtually no assets out of it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
(Connor Brown is a better player than Zack Kassian. We should be trading Brown for a prospect or pick(s), not another bottom 6'er)

Reactions: Menzinger

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I like defensemen that can be trusted to play well in their own zone

Someone who retrieves the puck, clears the net, and can make zone exits.

Reactions: LeafSteel

member 147413

Playoffs

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Ennis - Marleau - Brown

Muzzin - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

2019-20

Trade Zaitsev, Kadri and Brown (Marleau if possible, but I don’t think it is)

Kadri + for Pesce
Sign Hainsey at TDD for vet presence, comes in rested for playoffs

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
Moore - Matthews - Bracco
Marleau - Gauthier - Petan

Rielly - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Liljegren
Rosen - ?

Andersen
Sparks

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm liking more and more the idea of snatching ferland as ufa in summer and then flipping johnson,brown in packages to get that rhd help

So....how much if ferland expected to ask in new contract? What will he get as ufa if at all realistic for us??

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm liking more and more the idea of snatching ferland as ufa in summer and then flipping johnson,brown in packages to get that rhd help

So....how much if ferland expected to ask in new contract? What will he get as ufa if at all realistic for us??

Start at 5x5 as the absolute minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad