I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Toronto
Kadri
Zaitsev

Carolina
Pesce
J. Gauthier

I get why fans want to move Zaitsev's salary out, but I'm curious why you feel the Hurricanes would want Zaitsev in any deal? The whole reason that they'd want to move a RHD is because they have 4 of them in the line-up right now as well as McKeown and potentially Fox (if he signs) in the system. Last thing they'd want to do is take on salary for a guy that they have no need for.

I'm going to be quite surprised if the Canes move Pesce any time soon. My money is on Faulk or TVR getting moved this off-season.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I get why fans want to move Zaitsev's salary out, but I'm curious why you feel the Hurricanes would want Zaitsev in any deal? The whole reason that they'd want to move a RHD is because they have 4 of them in the line-up right now as well as McKeown and potentially Fox (if he signs) in the system. Last thing they'd want to do is take on salary for a guy that they have no need for.

I'm going to be quite surprised if the Canes move Pesce any time soon. My money is on Faulk or TVR getting moved this off-season.

Good point, just thought with all salary cap space they might take him but most likely not.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

They are kind of like the Leafs with excess D instead of wingers. TVR doesn't have much value so if they are sputtering for offense they will need to try to build a deal around Faulk who probably only has value to a limited group of other clubs. If they have their eye on four different forwards and nobody will give one up for JF then they have to adjust who they can afford or who they are prepared to part with. I think Faulk is moved this summer regardless because he had a bit of a bounce back season but is only under contract for one more year. I just have my doubts he would bring back a big return as a pending UFA in an X draft year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
From what I've gathered, there might be interest in Zaitsev from Vancouver. Enough that we might not need to strap an asset to him.

Straight swap him for Tanev. I think that would work for both teams. Tanev is not really cheaper than Zaitsev (only 50k), but he's only got one more year left after this one. It does not solve our short term cap problem, but there are other ways to do that IMO. Maybe instead of doing Kadri for Pesce, we will just have to use Dermott in the top 4 on the RD and use someone like Rosen or Borgman on the bottom pairing.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From what I've gathered, there might be interest in Zaitsev from Vancouver. Enough that we might not need to strap an asset to him.

I'd love for that to happen

Not only would expect get rid of Zaitsev (who's actually been better since he partnered with Muzzin) but I could read the Vancouver board afterwards

That would be glorious

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd love for that to happen

Not only would expect get rid of Zaitsev (who's actually been better since he partnered with Muzzin) but I could read the Vancouver board afterwards

That would be glorious

If you can trade Gudbranson you can trade Zaits.

Reactions: Kiwi

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They are kind of like the Leafs with excess D instead of wingers. TVR doesn't have much value so if they are sputtering for offense they will need to try to build a deal around Faulk who probably only has value to a limited group of other clubs. If they have their eye on four different forwards and nobody will give one up for JF then they have to adjust who they can afford or who they are prepared to part with. I think Faulk is moved this summer regardless because he had a bit of a bounce back season but is only under contract for one more year. I just have my doubts he would bring back a big return as a pending UFA in an X draft year.

I agree with most of that. TVR doesn't hold a ton of value by himself (at least enough value for any sort of impact player). I really think Faulk is likely moved for futures during the off-season. He only has 1 year left on his deal, so unless it's a team that he's willing to sign with right away, then It's probably a picks/prospects type return. What happens with TVR will depend on how ready they think McKeown is and if Fox signs. I don't think they'll move Pesce or Hamilton at all.

I think the addition of Nino, the improvements with TT and Aho, and the continued improvement in Svechnikov have really lessened the need for to move a D for more offense. Especially with Necas really coming along well in the AHL. The Canes are currently 15th in the NHL in GF/GP right now, but since Jan 1st, they are 2nd to only TB in goals scored. We'll see if that lasts, but the numbers don't say it's a fluke.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I think spooner for Zaitsev is logically what the canucks would be offering. No way they move Tanev for him.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think spooner for Zaitsev is logically what the canucks would be offering. No way they move Tanev for him.

Then there is no way we are moving Zaitsev to Vancouver. Tanev is the only roster player on Vancouver that I can see Vancouver moving in any capacity.

And it would be one-for-one.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Then there is no way we are moving Zaitsev to Vancouver. Tanev is the only roster player on Vancouver that I can see Vancouver moving in any capacity.

I think they might do it.

Leafs could then retain 50% of Spooner and get him out of here. Would save them a little under 3 million.

I think they'll use a forward to address the RHD problem. I think Johnsson or Kadri will be gone.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think they might do it.

Leafs could then retain 50% of Spooner and get him out of here. Would save them a little under 3 million.

I think they'll use a forward to address the RHD problem. I think Johnsson or Kadri will be gone.

Zaitsev is far more valuable than that, even if you want the contract out.

Guys who can play top 4 RD on any team (especially a playoff team), even if they are overpaid, get a legitimate return. So unless Vancouver is paying us to take on Spooner, on top of paying Zaitsev's price (which is Tanev or equivalent futures), then there is no deal. Even then, the Leafs will not have the cap to take on an overpaid AHLer, even at 50% retained.

If Zaitsev is overpaid at 4.5 mill, then Tanev is overpaid at 4.45 mill, and will be even more overpaid on his next deal.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Zaitsev is far more valuable than that, even if you want the contract out.

Guys who can play top 4 RD on any team (especially a playoff team), even if they are overpaid, get a legitimate return. So unless Vancouver is paying us to take on Spooner, on top of paying Zaitsev's price (which is Tanev or equivalent futures), then there is no deal. Even then, the Leafs will not have the cap to take on an overpaid AHLer, even at 50% retained.

If Zaitsev is overpaid at 4.5 mill, then Tanev is overpaid at 4.45 mill, and will be even more overpaid on his next deal.
I hope you're right, but im not so convinced because of the term left on his deal.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I still think zatsiev has a certain allure to teams that have Russians in the wings. he is fluent in English now. which is great for helping teammates adjust and coaches to get there voice translated . Vancouver has the one big D that bolted back to Russia. the rangers have a ton of Russians coming over in the next year or 2. I think people may be surprised how valuable that can be. don't think it will be as hard or taxing to move him as a lot of people seem to think

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I hope you're right, but im not so convinced because of the term left on his deal.

It would only matter if he was a cap dump. Just think about it this way, if Zaitsev was a pending UFA this year, what kind of money would he get? I would bet it would be similar, if not more, than he's getting right now on a similar or longer term.

He's playing up to what he earns, it ends at a good age, and he's only been getting better as the year progresses.

For Vancouver, since Zaitsev and Tanev are very similar in quality and style, they essentially get to re-sign a younger Tanev at his current number for an extra 4 years and do not have to worry as much about whether Tanev will get hurt through the duration of those years. I think both teams would do it, because Dubas probably feels he'd rather just have Liljegren take over soon after Tanev expires.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

There’s litterally zero incentive for Vancouver to do that. They get worse player on a contract that’s too long and for too much. They obviously want to add to their right side, meaning they don’t want to subtract another RHD in the process. I’m not saying that I’m for that spooner deal with Vancouver (I wouldn’t do it) but Zaitsevs value is low

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

I wouldn't mind using Kadri to target Fox if he's willing to sign this year. Carolina is still looking for a center and they wouldn't lose any of that team chemistry by taking away from the current roster.

Kadri for Fox + a pick and then give Petan a shot as the 3C, upgrade at the deadline next year if neccessary.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
There’s litterally zero incentive for Vancouver to do that. They get worse player on a contract that’s too long and for too much. They obviously want to add to their right side, meaning they don’t want to subtract another RHD in the process. I’m not saying that I’m for that spooner deal with Vancouver (I wouldn’t do it) but Zaitsevs value is low

Not a worse player, not on too long of a contract, and does not make too much money. Like at least we've got to be reasonable if we are going to be getting a reasonable trade for Zaitsev, and Tanev has the same value as Zaitsev (if not less due to his injury history and underwhelming play over the past few years).

If they would prefer to do it another way, then we can work out a three-way deal with a team to dump Spooner on. Zaitsev for Spooner + futures, then Spooner + the incentive from Vancouver for taking on Spooner to dump him to Ottawa or somewhere like that. Then the Leafs can trade Kadri for Pesce instead of getting Tanev. I would be fine with that too, since I'd much rather have Pesce than Tanev.

Reactions: jaric1862

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I wouldn't mind using Kadri to target Fox if he's willing to sign this year. Carolina is still looking for a center and they wouldn't lose any of that team chemistry by taking away from the current roster.

Kadri for Fox + a pick and then give Petan a shot as the 3C, upgrade at the deadline next year if neccessary.

Petan is not getting a shot at the 3C. He's not even worth a shot at the 4C. If he is slotted anywhere above the 13th forward spot before training camp, we need to add more depth. He should be given a chance to earn an spot on the 4th line wing, but we should have someone (I have Aaltonen, maybe it can be Korshkov) slotted ahead of him before training camp.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Bracco has been killing it lately, but not sure if he beats out any of Kap, Nyalnder or Marner on the right side.
Unless he moves over to the left (which would be awesome in combination with Hyman and AJ) he might be a solid add to make a deal work.

Zaitsev + Bracco for a positive return?

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
This is what I had in mind in regards of what next years line-up could look like:

Kadri-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Bracco
Johnsson-Nylander-Moore
Marleau-Gauthier-Petan

Rielly-Tanev
Muzzin-Liljegren
Rosén-Dermott

Andersen
Sparks

In this scenario I traded Brown to Edmonton for '19 2nd (EDM) and '19 3rd (NYI), and Zaitsev for Tanev.

Marner is resigned at 10,500,000$/6y and Johnsson at 2,500,000$/3y.

At 83m$ cap, this would leave us with $1,428,635 to fill two reserve roster spots (one of which is Holl at 675,000$).

No idea what to do with Kapanen. I prefer Johnsson out of the two, which I do doubt is not the same with Dubas - so you can swap Kapanen and Johnsson in this scenario, if needed. Anyhow, one of these players should get traded and the return should be a roster player, which then would require the removal of Marleau.

It's going to be an interesting off season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad