Free Agency and Trade Thread - Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
There’s litterally zero incentive for Vancouver to do that. They get worse player on a contract that’s too long and for too much. They obviously want to add to their right side, meaning they don’t want to subtract another RHD in the process. I’m not saying that I’m for that spooner deal with Vancouver (I wouldn’t do it) but Zaitsevs value is low
Yeah. From what I've heard they like Zaitsev enough that they don't think his contract is a problem. I think it's very possible we move him there for basically nothing in the summer. I also hold out hope that the plan from the start was for Marleau to retire after getting his last signing bonus, and we send his cap hit to Ottawa, or a team in a similar situation. We'd suddenly have a ton of cap space.

Reactions: Menzinger

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
I hear carolina is lacking LHD and has a ton of RHD. What about a proposal centered around Dermott for Pesce?

Dermott + Bracco/3rd rounder + Zaitsev for Pesce + Hamilton?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hear carolina is lacking LHD and has a ton of RHD. What about a proposal centered around Dermott for Pesce?

Remove Dermott and Hamilton.
Leafs would have zero interest in moving Dermott.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
2019 - 2020 Roster

Andreas Johnsson - John Tavares - Mitch Marner
Kasperi Kapanen - Auston Matthews - William Nylander
Josh Anderson - Nazem Kadri - Jeremy Bracco
Zach Hyman - Frederik Gauthier - Zack Kassian
ex. Trevor Moore - Nic Petan

Morgan Rielly - Tyler Myers
Jake Muzzin - Travis Dermott
Calle Rosen - Andreas Borgman
ex. Igor Ozhiganov

Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

Trades

Patrick Marleau to LAK for a 2020 3rd rd. Pick (After his summer bonus)

Connor Brown for Zack Kassian (50% retained) + 2019 4th rd. Pick

Nikita Zaitsev + LA 2020 3rd rd. Pick for Ryan Spooner (Buyout Spooner)

Yegor Korshkov + Eemeli Rasanen + 2019 3rd rd. Pick for Josh Anderson

FA signings

Tyler Myers signs at 5.65M per for 3 years

RFA re-signings

Mitch Marner signs at 11M per for 8 years

Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson each sign at 2.5M per for 2 years

Igor Ozhiganov signs at 800K for 1 year

Cap Space

615K of cap space on an 85M cap.

Reasoning

Tyler Myers would go a long way to shore up the right side of the defense and at 6'8 he provides a similar styled player to combat Zdeno Chara. Anderson and Kassian shore up the issue of toughness on the team. The bottom 2 lines with a combination of Kadri/Anderson and Hyman/Kassian is a change of pace from the usual undersized scorers that they would roll out. This would be a good gamble to roll on if the Leafs get bounced again by the Bruins in the first round. Andreas Borgman being inserted into the bottom pairing would also add that gritty element that the current make up of the team seems to lack. The Leafs also get out from some dead weight that carry hefty cap prices.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
2019 - 2020 Roster

ex. Igor Ozhiganov

Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

Trades

FA signings

RFA re-signings

Cap Space

Reasoning

Tyler Myers would go a long way to shore up the right side of the defense and at 6'8 he provides a similar styled player to combat Zdeno Chara. Anderson and Kassian shore up the issue of toughness on the team. The bottom 2 lines with a combination of Kadri/Anderson and Hyman/Kassian is a change of pace from the usual undersized scorers that they would roll out. This would be a good gamble to roll on if the Leafs get bounced again by the Bruins in the first round. Andreas Borgman being inserted into the bottom pairing would also add that gritty element that the current make up of the team seems to lack. The Leafs also get out from some dead weight that carry hefty cap prices.

Marleau = NMC
Hyman isn't a 4th liner

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
2019 - 2020 Roster

ex. Igor Ozhiganov

Frederik Andersen
Garret Sparks

Trades

FA signings

RFA re-signings

Cap Space

Reasoning

Do you think it’s likely a 29 yr old Myers takes a lateral pay increase on a three year term?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
You think we can get a top 6 forward for two bad prospects and a 3rd?
That trade proposal may need some work. Anderson isn't a high level top-6 forward. Similar in production to a player like Zach Hyman. A 40-50 point player. They expressed interest in moving him earlier in the year and his play hasn't elevated that much. A quality package of picks and prospects may interest them. Make the pick a 2nd. Korshkov was a 31st overall pick and Rasanen a 2nd as well. They have intriguing upside given their size and potential. You could look at making Rasanen a different prospect, maybe Ian Scott would be of interest.

Marleau = NMC
Hyman isn't a 4th liner
NMC's have been moved before. All a player has to do is waive his NMC. The Leafs need cap space and he is the odd man out given his contract. He had two runs with the Leafs and will get almost all his money when his bonus plays out. If he can play a role in selecting his location to be close to certain areas, with no guarantee that the team no matter their situation can't be a contending team in their own right. I think that's pretty good?

Brown wasn't thought of as a 4th liner before he got demoted either. Depth is a blessing, not a curse. The best teams win the cup and the best teams have players playing lower in the lineup due to the quality of their team. Hyman has played with two 80+ point players this year and has yet to break 40 points. He can be upgraded upon. Like Brown, he'll be the first one let into a stacked top-9 under this scenario and his presence is an upgrade to line #4.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Do you think it’s likely a 29 yr old Myers takes a lateral pay increase on a three year term?
The Leafs do have a small amount of cap under my scenario. Maybe, 6M per year over 5 years? How much can he realistically expect? I was under the understanding he was the 3rd pairing RHD in Winnipeg. In Toronto, a comparable top end team he would see himself in the #1 hole next to what might be a finalist for the Norris. He would see a lot of minutes and big situations on a good young team in arguably a better location. I'm not sure how much he can realistically expect on a contract. He hasn't hit 40 points since his rookie season. A small pay increase over mid term seems fair for what he can provide.

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The Leafs do have a small amount of cap under my scenario. Maybe, 6M per year over 5 years? How much can he realistically expect. I was under the understanding he was the 3rd pairing RHD in Winnipeg. In Toronto, a comparable top end team he would see himself in the #1 hole next to what might be a finalist for the Norris. He would see a lot of minutes and big situations on a good young team in arguably a better location. I'm not sure how much he can realistically expect on a contract. He hasn't hit 40 points since his rookie season. A small pay increase over mid term seems fair for what he can provide.

Not sure what he will get in the end, but three year term is short for a guy his age. I’m expecting a term of 4-5 years perhaps slightly less cap hit then you used thus the contract is for more dollars when you factor in the longer term. On some teams he’s easily a top 4 RHD, he actually plays better with more minutes.....he simply can’t beat out Buff or Trouba for one of those roles and the Jets have the cap luxury of playing him on the third pairing until his contract expires. My only point is you might have to give up a 4 year term to get him. IMO

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That trade proposal may need some work. Anderson isn't a high level top-6 forward. Similar in production to a player like Zach Hyman. A 40-50 point player. They expressed interest in moving him earlier in the year and his play hasn't elevated that much. A quality package of picks and prospects may interest them. Make the pick a 2nd. Korshkov was a 31st overall pick and Rasanen a 2nd as well. They have intriguing upside given their size and potential. You could look at making Rasanen a different prospect, maybe Ian Scott would be of interest.

NMC's have been moved before. All a player has to do is waive his NMC. The Leafs need cap space and he is the odd man out given his contract. He had two runs with the Leafs and will get almost all his money when his bonus plays out. If he can play a role in selecting his location to be close to certain areas, with no guarantee that the team no matter their situation can't be a contending team in their own right. I think that's pretty good?

Brown wasn't thought of as a 4th liner before he got demoted either. Depth is a blessing, not a curse. The best teams win the cup and the best teams have players playing lower in the lineup due to the quality of their team. Hyman has played with two 80+ point players this year and has yet to break 40 points. He can be upgraded upon. Like Brown, he'll be the first one let into a stacked top-9 under this scenario and his presence is an upgrade to line #4.
Winning a Cup is the last thing Marleau has left in his career.
He has no incentive to waive, let alone to a bottom feeder.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Winning a Cup is the last thing Marleau has left in his career.
He has no incentive to waive, let alone to a bottom feeder.
Teams fluctuate, they can be better next year with a few moves and some puck luck. The addition of Marleau could be one of those moves. If he is willing to open up his destination list to include teams not only in California or Ontario, then I'm sure the Leafs wouldn't have trouble finding a few playoff teams that would welcome him. I'm of the belief that the location may matter more to him given that he has a family, I'm sure he doesn't want to move them too far from familiar places. If he was close by they could live in a location they're used to for his final season.

A lesser role being made clear to him going into next season, potentially playing the entire year on the 4th line could help him to consider his options in other destinations.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Reason for optimism in a hypthetical Zaitsev to Vancouver trade:

Brandon Sutter+ 3rd for Bonino+Clendening+2nd

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL

The reason Leafs move him is because CAR would want a LHD as they are heavy on RHD. It doesn't make sense from Carolina's POV to acquire Zaitsev (another RHD). Hence, the inclusion of Dermott. Dermott is easily replaceable (especially with Sandin in the ranks) and Pesce would be more valuable than Dermott.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The reason Leafs move him is because CAR would want a LHD as they are heavy on RHD. It doesn't make sense from Carolina's POV to acquire Zaitsev (another RHD). Hence, the inclusion of Dermott. Dermott is easily replaceable (especially with Sandin in the ranks) and Pesce would be more valuable than Dermott.
If the only way Zaitsev can go to Carolina is by the inclusion of Dermott than the Leafs will find another partner.

Reactions: RLF

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Teams fluctuate, they can be better next year with a few moves and some puck luck. The addition of Marleau could be one of those moves. If he is willing to open up his destination list to include teams not only in California or Ontario, then I'm sure the Leafs wouldn't have trouble finding a few playoff teams that would welcome him. I'm of the belief that the location may matter more to him given that he has a family, I'm sure he doesn't want to move them too far from familiar places. If he was close by they could live in a location they're used to for his final season.

A lesser role being made clear to him going into next season, potentially playing the entire year on the 4th line could help him to consider his options in other destinations.
I'll believe it when I see it.
All sounds like nothing more than wishful thinking.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

So after next year, when Faulk and TVR are UFAs, Zaitsev becomes Carolina's only RHD? Isn't that the exact problem the Leafs have right now?

Canes aren't really looking for a LHD. They have Slavin and CDH at the NHL level and Fleury and Bean at the AHL level (and Pesce is doing quite well on the LHD side). Fleury would be playing right now if it wasn't for the fact that they have 4 RHD with NHL only contracts and Fleury could be sent down without passing through Waivers. The value is also bad for Carolina.

If the Canes trade one of Hamilton or Pesce, they've been very clear that they want a young, NHL forward (not defensemen and not prospects/picks).

Agree Leafs have no interest in moving Dermott. I also think the Canes would have no interest in moving Hamilton for Dermott either.

But more importantly, I would think the Canes have less than zero interest in trading Pesce for "Zaitsev + Bracco/3rd".

Reactions: MinJerkBen

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Agree Leafs have no interest in moving Dermott. I also think the Canes would have no interest in moving Hamilton for Dermott either.

But more importantly, I would think the Canes have less than zero interest in trading Pesce for "Zaitsev + Bracco/3rd".
I'm not surprised.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Marleau isnt going anywhere
Agreed.

I don't think a lot is going to happen this off season, other than Marner signing, Brown surely being traded and Gardiner + Ennis walking. Hopefully Dubas re-signs Hutchinson to fight for a backup spot with Sparks. Otherwise, it's going to be quiet because of the Cap restrictions.

Hoping that Zaits can be traded to open up some space to sign a RHD to play with Rielly. Who knows if that will happen though.

I see next years lineup looking like:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kapanen-Kadri-Bracco
Marleau-Gauthier-Moore
Petan

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Zaitsev
Borgman/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yeah. From what I've heard they like Zaitsev enough that they don't think his contract is a problem. I think it's very possible we move him there for basically nothing in the summer. I also hold out hope that the plan from the start was for Marleau to retire after getting his last signing bonus, and we send his cap hit to Ottawa, or a team in a similar situation. We'd suddenly have a ton of cap space.

Trading away Zai is really creating another hole in D. I mean Leafs still need to spend the same amount on another RHD so that’s really not much saving.
Getting rid of Marleau is a huge saving since Bracco, Moore and even Petan are all good enough or at least close enough replacements.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Agreed.

I don't think a lot is going to happen this off season, other than Marner signing, Brown surely being traded and Gardiner + Ennis walking. Hopefully Dubas re-signs Hutchinson to fight for a backup spot with Sparks. Otherwise, it's going to be quiet because of the Cap restrictions.

Hoping that Zaits can be traded to open up some space to sign a RHD to play with Rielly. Who knows if that will happen though.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kapanen-Kadri-Bracco
Marleau-Gauthier-Moore
Petan

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Zaitsev
Borgman/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

I don’t think AJ or/and Kap will be returning due to their high demand.
I really think this is the year where a lot of 2nd tier UFAs or RFAs will get paid well above their value. Take Ferland as an example, I highly doubt he will be sign under 6.5mil/yr.

Jake might even sign a deal over 8mil.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kapanen-Kadri-Bracco
Marleau-Gauthier-Moore
Petan

Rielly-Hainsey
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Zaitsev
Borgman/Holl

Andersen
Sparks

The signings, particularly Marner, are going to be the key to that. Not counting unsigned guys (and only counting one of of Borgman/Holl), I come up with ~$68.5M in cap hit (not counting Horton). I'm hearing the Cap will go up to $83M(?). If so, that leaves $14.5M to sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Hainsey.

I think something has to give unless a few of these guys take big discounts, no (if the Cap is really $83M)? Even if Kapanen gets $3.5M, Johnsson $2.5M, Hainsey $2M, it only leaves $6M-$7M for Marner. Does that get it done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad