GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part III - Hockey is back! Regular season to begin January 13th 2021

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I wouldn't mind any of those forwards if the price is right.

Any of those defenseman though? Helllllllllll no.
Danault is excellent and very underrated. Gaudreau would give us two scoring line (unless we get him by sending Huberdeau their way). Dumba would be our second or third best dman, so a big upgrade.
Palmieri would be decent and would make our third line better, but he's not good enough to rise our lineup from bad to mediocre.

I'd get Risto and maybe even Subban if Yandle is going the other way. (If they don't intend to weaponize the Cap Space (by getting Killorn or something, then getting Subban for Yandle would help give the cap space needed for Barkov.)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
https://thehockeywriters.com/panthers-trade-targets-gaudreau-subban-ristolainen/

Palmieri
Danault
Gaudreau

Ristolainen
Subban
Dumba

Writer thinks players like Borgstrom, Hepo, Luostarinen, Noel and Monty would be on the table.
Possibly even Denisenko if its the right player, which I don't see happening

Only one I like on the list is Danault but he's a UFA to be and needs a new deal, likely in the 5-6 year range but our C depth would be set and would allow for Lundell to be a 3C next year and slowly work his way up the ranks instead of being thrust into the 2C role off the bat.

Want no part of Subban or Risto.
Gaudreau and Dumba would cost too much.

no to gaudreau and subban, i don't think they fit into what we're trying to do as a team.

The others would be good adds, depending on the assets we would have to give up, but why not just sign hoffman?

Reactions: 16Skippy

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
no to gaudreau and subban, i don't think they fit into what we're trying to do as a team.

The others would be good adds, depending on the assets we would have to give up, but why not just sign hoffman?

Hoffman or Granlund are fine if on short term deals. Feels like Zito wants to make sure we have big cap space for when Barkov is due.
We have been linked to Granlund as well by other writers but feel he will hold out longer for term.

Reactions: harv33173

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I'm curious, why do you think Gaudreau wouldn't fit but Hoff would?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Why not just sign Hoffman already lol
He wants to get paid and avoid the flat cap (ala Taylor Hall) you'd have a tough time convicning him to play on what appears to be the worst 2nd line in the league when he's trying to pad stats.

Also I'm like 99% sure Florida has an internal cap.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
For sure, the team already lose +10M a year and that's with fans in the stands. It's subsidies by the events in the arena, but if they don't happen, the team is a huge money sink. If you can save 6M, you'll save 6M. It makes sense.

Remember, the owners have made huge money during the Covid issue in their company.

Sunrise Sports and Entertainment, which I believe the Panthers are a part of, is a large tax write-off for them with the losses they incur.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I'm curious, why do you think Gaudreau wouldn't fit but Hoff would?

It's more that Gaudreau would need to be here long-term for any trade to make sense. Hoff wouldn't be so it doesn't matter if he really "fits" or not. Plus, the devil you know and all that.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He wants to get paid and avoid the flat cap (ala Taylor Hall) you'd have a tough time convicning him to play on what appears to be the worst 2nd line in the league when he's trying to pad stats.

Tough to say: I’m guessing it is a soft cap if there is one. We will between 76-77M if we don’t sign another high paid player and we will fill out with ELC...that’s not low. I do think Zito needs to defend any additional cap...

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009

He’d still get his PP1 time, and maybe even play with Barkov or Huby if Q splits them to help the 2nd line?

If we have an internal cap RIP The Cats :(

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Tough to say: I’m guessing it is a soft cap if there is one. We will between 76-77M if we don’t sign another high paid player and we will fill out with ELC...that’s not low. I do think Zito needs to defend any additional cap...

anything that isn't near the cap is considered low. if a team is missing some pieces and not spending to the cap, they aren't seriously competing.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
anything that isn't near the cap is considered low. if a team is missing some pieces and not spending to the cap, they aren't seriously competing.
At this time, there is value of financial flexibility especially if we need to give multiple years to add talent. Let’s wait and see

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Had a hard time figuring where to put this, but I'll leave it here since this is sort of the offseason thread.

Paljonkertovat kuvat julki! Patrik Laineen ja Aleksander Barkovin katumaasturit kuumensivat tunteita Tampereella!

autot.jpg

Jaguar is Laine's, Volvo is Barkov's. Not a good look when two young healthy men are parking in handicap spots.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Reactions: Cold Cat

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
And not a good look when you drive a Volvo...
Also according to the person who sent the pictures and the story to the tabloid, there was a third handicap spot to the right of Barkov, and him parking over the line (worth noting that these spots are also very generous, most Finnish parking spots are way too small for modern SUVs and other similar large cars) would've prevented exiting from that side.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Also according to the person who sent the pictures and the story to the tabloid, there was a third handicap spot to the right of Barkov, and him parking over the line (worth noting that these spots are also very generous, most Finnish parking spots are way too small for modern SUVs and other similar large cars) would've prevented exiting from that side.
Hmm looks bad, but let’s wait and see the full story :)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s good to see the rebel in Barky. A bit like his speeding ticket. I care this much about this infraction: ____.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad