GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part III - Hockey is back! Regular season to begin January 13th 2021

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
No way in heck that Saarela makes more than a million: he hasn’t shown much more in potential, environment is depressed, no outside options, and Zito is an insane negotiator: Wallmark only got 950K and has shown more
Agreed - I like him as a potential middle 6/3rd line guy but he has eleven NHL games under his belt. I'm more curious if he gets a 1 way deal or a two-way but with higher minors salary.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I don't see us signing Hoffman with how Zito has talked about bringing in younger players. Sure the line-up would be better for a single season, but long-term I think it serves us better to bring in younger players that are here for the long run.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't see us signing Hoffman with how Zito has talked about bringing in younger players. Sure the line-up would be better for a single season, but long-term I think it serves us better to bring in younger players that are here for the long run.

If Zito wants to add more picks to the 2021 backpack then it would be wise to try and bring him back though.
Now in saying that, maybe Zito can also wait for TB, NYI or other cap strapped GM's to get desperate and possibly offer up 2021 picks to take on a player with multiple years left.
I prefer route A if the long term plan is to promote the prospects because Hoffman is only here for the one year and would at least net us a 2021 2nd + pick/prospect.

When/if Hoffman was moved near deadline if we're out of the race, Denisenko could come in and play out the year or him and Saarela can split duties on the 3rd line if need be.
It's tough to predict if management truly think this is a playoff team as is, if not, then that 2021 1st needs to be top 10 to land a top tier D prospect.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Edit: I ran it. If we run a roster of 22 and sign Saarela for 800K we would have 6.5M left

To your point I'd assume a roster of 22 players would likely breakdown as follows: 13F, 7D, and 2 G.

With Weegar's contract included, Cap Friendly shows 8.3 M Cap Space remaining, with the roster being comprised of 10 F, 7 D, and 2 G.

To fill out the 3 F positions, not counting any player acquisitions, I'd project the following:

Saarela, as you suggest, at +/- 800K Cap hit.

Tippett at +/- 860K Cap hit.

Either Eetu or Borg, for added depth at C, at +/- 900K Cap hit.

If those 3 are added to complete the F roster, their $ would add about 2.7 M to the CAP, reducing the amount available to about 5.6 M.

IMO Hoffman / Duclair / Killorn doesn't seem to be realistic without some other move.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
To your point I'd assume a roster of 22 players would likely breakdown as follows: 13F, 7D, and 2 G.

With Weegar's contract included, Cap Friendly shows 8.3 M Cap Space remaining, with the roster being comprised of 10 F, 7 D, and 2 G.

To fill out the 3 F positions, not counting any player acquisitions, I'd project the following:

Saarela, as you suggest, at +/- 800K Cap hit.

Tippett at +/- 860K Cap hit.

Either Eetu or Borg, for added depth at C, at +/- 900K Cap hit.

If those 3 are added to complete the F roster, their $ would add about 2.7 M to the CAP, reducing the amount available to about 5.6 M.

IMO Hoffman / Duclair / Killorn doesn't seem to be realistic without some other move.
You don’t have all three if you add Hoffman: your math adds up to 14F

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If Zito wants to add more picks to the 2021 backpack then it would be wise to try and bring him back though.
Now in saying that, maybe Zito can also wait for TB, NYI or other cap strapped GM's to get desperate and possibly offer up 2021 picks to take on a player with multiple years left.
I prefer route A if the long term plan is to promote the prospects because Hoffman is only here for the one year and would at least net us a 2021 2nd + pick/prospect.

When/if Hoffman was moved near deadline if we're out of the race, Denisenko could come in and play out the year or him and Saarela can split duties on the 3rd line if need be.
It's tough to predict if management truly think this is a playoff team as is, if not, then that 2021 1st needs to be top 10 to land a top tier D prospect.
Picks aren't that important though, d-men prospects could be better, but otherwise we're pretty well set. Zito just seems to say things very straight forward, and signing Hoffman would go against what he seems to be building towards so idk.

As for players getting traded, Driedger is the first I'd look at, even if things go well. Upcoming UFA, probably could get a better chance to play more games with some other team and more money too.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Picks aren't that important though, d-men prospects could be better, but otherwise we're pretty well set. Zito just seems to say things very straight forward, and signing Hoffman would go against what he seems to be building towards so idk.

As for players getting traded, Driedger is the first I'd look at, even if things go well. Upcoming UFA, probably could get a better chance to play more games with some other team and more money too.
I’ve got to disagree with you: we want our young players to have a reasonable chance to succeed and we want someone that can help drive a line. Hoffman can do that. Put him on the third line and ease players in

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I dont think Hoff goes against what Zito has said, if its a 1 year deal. He'd just be a mercenary for a playoff run, or traded at the deadline for a pick.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I dont think Hoff goes against what Zito has said, if its a 1 year deal. He'd just be a mercenary for a playoff run, or traded at the deadline for a pick.
What has Zito said that would exclude having Hoff help for a year?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Panthers Add Depth, Character on Opening Day of NHL's Free Agency Period

"Play the game the right way," the new Panthers general manager said. "That's what we were looking for. We want people who compete and who approach the game in a business-like, professional manner and who every day come to the rink and want to win and hate to lose."

Five Questions with Bill Zito

Asked about two Panthers free agents who remain unsigned, forwards Mike Hoffman and Evgenii Dadonov, Zito said, "I've been checking in with the agents for a number of different players and will continue to do so and gauge the marketplace and make prudent decisions on positions and spending and try to build the best team that we can."

Panthers GM Bill Zito discusses front office changes, provides update on Mike Hoffman and MacKenzie Weegar

Eventually we got back to talking hockey, and over the course of our conversation, free agent winger Mike Hoffman did come up.

Zito basically said that he had no specific updates to share, and that the situation in general was fluid.

“You look every single day and you’re always trying to evaluate what’s on the horizon, what other opportunities are out there, what’s happening trade-wise, what’s happening cap-wise around the League, and what options and opportunities may be available to you. So, it’s a constant process.”

I couldn't find the other comment, but it was something about having prospects jump into the line-up. Coop tweeted it, I think.

Playoff Hoffman maybe has fooled people, but remember that he was a passenger for long stretches the past two seasons (yes, I know Connolly is still on the roster). Also I would think Zito would've mentioned Hoffman by name at some point if there was interest, it's always just "players".

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I don't even know. Zito has also stressed the 110% rule. That implies winning is more important than anything else. I do think Zito badly wants to make the playoffs. It would make the Barkov negotiations much easier.

Reactions: RogerRoger

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Panthers Add Depth, Character on Opening Day of NHL's Free Agency Period

Five Questions with Bill Zito

Panthers GM Bill Zito discusses front office changes, provides update on Mike Hoffman and MacKenzie Weegar

I couldn't find the other comment, but it was something about having prospects jump into the line-up. Coop tweeted it, I think.

Playoff Hoffman maybe has fooled people, but remember that he was a passenger for long stretches the past two seasons (yes, I know Connolly is still on the roster). Also I would think Zito would've mentioned Hoffman by name at some point if there was interest, it's always just "players".
I agree that Hoff was at times a non-factor in the regular season. But I forgave that to some extent after he turned it up during playoffs.

Then again, maybe the bigger point is that if Mike Hoffman is your best checking forward in the playoffs, you have much bigger problems.

Reactions: blinky67

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
I think we're in on Killorn. Duclair as a plan B. I'm not sure Hoff will sign for around 5, which is the max I think we'd give anyone else. We do have a buyout window now, but im not sure it makes sense to buy anyone out.
I wonder what the realistic asking price is for Killorn. Would love to have him here.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If he outplays Bob again and we keep Bob and not him, I hope Barkov leaves to know what it's like to play for a team that wants to win.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

We're set on D prospects? I dont know about that Soup.
We have some mid level guys but no elite guys imo.
I like our top 6 defense this year better than last year but most of those guys are gone in 2-3 years.
We could use some more L/RD prospects, especially in a draft that is supposedly very D heavy, who are ready to take over in 2-3 years.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We're set on D prospects? I dont know about that Soup.
We have some mid level guys but no elite guys imo.
I like our top 6 defense this year better than last year but most of those guys are gone in 2-3 years.
We could use some more L/RD prospects, especially in a draft that is supposedly very D heavy, who are ready to take over in 2-3 years.
We need high end D prospects not more mid tier. We are fine on guys that can be 4-6 (We could probably run Stillman-Keeper-Priskie and it would not be terrible); we don’t have anyone that is likely to be a 2-3 guy expect for some tail risk of Kily

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We need high end D prospects not more mid tier. We are fine on guys that can be 4-6 (We could probably run Stillman-Keeper-Priskie and it would not be terrible); we don’t have anyone that is likely to be a 2-3 guy expect for some tail risk of Kily

Yeah but Impatient's point is that the 2021 draft is loaded with top end D, especially LD. This looks like the best draft for D since 2008. You can get a stud D well into the teens next year.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah but Impatient's point is that the 2021 draft is loaded with top end D, especially LD. This looks like the best draft for D since 2008. You can get a stud D well into the teens next year.
I agree

The weird thing is that all we are missing in prospect depth is a top D prospect: top C (yep), top wings (times 2), top goalie (yep). We have some okay prospects projecting to be mid 6 at best (Borg, Eetu, Noel) and those bottom half

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad