GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part III - Hockey is back! Regular season to begin January 13th 2021

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree

The weird thing is that all we are missing in prospect depth is a top D prospect: top C (yep), top wings (times 2), top goalie (yep). We have some okay prospects projecting to be mid 6 at best (Borg, Eetu, Noel) and those bottom half

Yup, that's what years of solid drafting, not trading away picks, and astute trades will get you. One more good draft, and Zito will have a lot of ammo to be aggressive as he tries to take this team to the next level.

Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yup, that's what years of solid drafting, not trading away picks, and astute trades will get you. One more good draft, and Zito will have a lot of ammo to be aggressive as he tries to take this team to the next level.
Also frankly prospects being delayed as well: part of our problem is that Tippett and Borg took a bit...which is fine if we had drafted someone useful from 2014-2015 other than El

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't get the Bobrovsky hate? Look at Reimer. Reimer was significantly worse than Bob in 2019, and he goes in front of a good defensive team and looks fine. Like yeah the contract is terrible but it is what it is. He was also one of like 3 players to show up vs NYI. If the defense is as bad as it is in front of him in 2020 Florida has bigger problems, and before anyone says "Driedger looked great" @letsgrowcactus had a great post a month or 2 back confirming that, as the eye test indicated, the defense was way better when he started. Team let Bob down.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I don't get the Bobrovsky hate? Look at Reimer. Reimer was significantly worse than Bob in 2019, and he goes in front of a good defensive team and looks fine. Like yeah the contract is terrible but it is what it is. He was also one of like 3 players to show up vs NYI. If the defense is as bad as it is in front of him in 2020 Florida has bigger problems, and before anyone says "Driedger looked great" @letsgrowcactus had a great post a month or 2 back confirming that, as the eye test indicated, the defense was way better when he started. Team let Bob down.
You don't pay a goalie 10M to be on par with Reimer. You pay him 10M because he can be excellent behind any blue line. People wanted Reimer gone after his bad year, but now because it's Bob people fall over themselves to find all sorts of excuses for his terrible play. If he's no better than a backup, then let's just get backups and use the cap space to shore up the Blue line.

You have to wonder, why did they play better in front of Driedger? Maybe it's because the team is mentally weak and knew that Bob would let in two stinkers a game.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

And Bob seriously let the team down. Bob is being paid to be a difference maker. He wasn't. Well, not in the right way anyway!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
You don't pay a goalie 10M to be on par with Reimer. You pay him 10M because he can be excellent behind any blue line. People wanted Reimer gone after his bad year, but now because it's Bob people fall over themselves to find all sorts of excuses for his terrible play. If he's no better than a backup, then let's just get backups and use the cap space to shore up the Blue line.

You have to wonder, why did they play better in front of Driedger? Maybe it's because the team is mentally weak and knew that Bob would let in two stinkers a game.

:clap:

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

That is unrealistic. You need some semblance of defense to help out your goaltenders. Trading Matheson and limiting Yandle's 5 v 5 time is a start.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm never going to expect Bob to be 10M good. Because he would have to perform like prime Price and he isn't that and never has been. If he can be consistently above .915 sv% and be a positive force in getting us playoff berths, I'll be happy with that. But I understand some people will always expect him to be a top 3 goalie in the league because of his salary.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
That is unrealistic. You need some semblance of defense to help out your goaltenders. Trading Matheson and limiting Yandle's 5 v 5 time is a start.
He won a Vezina behind a defense that was much worse than ours. He hard carried that 12-13 team. You pay 10M to get something close to that level, not Reimer. You pay 10M because you believe that player is Elite and will elevate those around him. He made the defense worse. The defense was more competent and confident with Driedger in net, a guy that played in the ECHL the year before.

Bob's play last season was the worst from a (clear) starter in Panthers history. It's no small feat. We've had old broken goalies; Belfour, Beezer, Thomas and they all outplayed Bob. For the sake of this franchise, I hope Bob sort his shit out and bounces back.

Edit: I'm not expecting top 3. I'm jaded that I'll take .910 and up.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He won a Vezina behind a defense that was much worse than ours. He hard carried that 12-13 team. You pay 10M to get something close to that level, not Reimer. You pay 10M because you believe that player is Elite and will elevate those around him. He made the defense worse. The defense was more competent and confident with Driedger in net, a guy that played in the ECHL the year before.

Bob's play last season was the worst from a (clear) starter in Panthers history. It's no small feat. We've had old broken goalies; Belfour, Beezer, Thomas and they all outplayed Bob. For the sake of this franchise, I hope Bob sort his shit out and bounces back.

Edit: I'm not expecting top 3. I'm jaded that I'll take .910 and up.

This is completely untrue, what? 2020 Florida was far worse than 2013 CBJ, what is this statement based on. Also Beezer in '98 is easily #1

edit: I like the new display pic though :laugh:

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'm never going to expect Bob to be 10M good. Because he would have to perform like prime Price and he isn't that and never has been. If he can be consistently above .915 sv% and be a positive force in getting us playoff berths, I'll be happy with that. But I understand some people will always expect him to be a top 3 goalie in the league because of his salary.
Top3, no. But I would like him to be consistently top10 with a few top5 years sprinkled there. I think that's extremely reasonable given the money he's paid.
The contract was always going to be awful but it's one thing to overpay 3 million and another to have a guy paid 10 mill when he's not even serviceable at his position.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Does anyone have a sense of our PK? Can Wennberg play?

Asked around on the CBJ board and one poster replied with:

Wennberg is a solid PKer. Nuti logged some time there, too, but that's largely a factor of his lack of playing time on the man advantage, with the team using one defenseman on the PP and Jones and Werenski having that covered.

That's my anecdotal take. There are others here who spend more time looking at detailed TOI who might have a better take.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Does anyone have a sense of our PK? Can Wennberg play?
He did play some PK in Columbus. His PP GA/60 this past season was worst on the team and around the same as the Panthers regulars Acciari-Sceviour. Vatrano and Hinostroza are probably likely to log significant PK time as well. I would like to see Barkov more on the PK, but that may be dumb if we're leaning even more on him to create offense.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Too many posts to respond too :)

I agree that the wingers are likely to be Vatrano and Hinny. Acciari is a lock. I guess Lonberg might play but we have that 2nd pairing center open.

I really hope we don’t play Barkov there: we need to conserve him for offense on the current team :(

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019
Too many posts to respond too :)

I agree that the wingers are likely to be Vatrano and Hinny. Acciari is a lock. I guess Lonberg might play but we have that 2nd pairing center open.

I really hope we don’t play Barkov there: we need to conserve him for offense on the current team :(

I am with you on Barkov...his use on the PK should be as limited as possible...concentrating his ice time for 5x5 and on the PP, to keep him as fresh as possible. Honestly I believe he has been overplayed in the past, impacting his effectiveness as the season wears on. Also, considering what will likely be will be a compressed schedule, is another reason to hope his need on the PK is not as needed as it has been in the past.

I 'd expect whoever ends up at 3C will support Acciari on the PK at C.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I am with you on Barkov...his use on the PK should be as limited as possible...concentrating his ice time for 5x5 and on the PP, to keep him as fresh as possible. Honestly I believe he has been overplayed in the past, impacting his effectiveness as the season wears on. Also, considering what will likely be will be a compressed schedule, is another reason to hope his need on the PK is not as needed as it has been in the past.

I 'd expect whoever ends up at 3C will support Acciari on the PK at C.
On the other hand, with Acciari leading the PK this past season our NetPK% was ranked #25. If the team starts playing more physically, it's likely that there will be more time on the PK and we would really need to be better there. Barkov improves the PK both by preventing goals against and by producing shorthanded goals. He could make more of a difference there than on the PP, if someone else can fill in decently there. Ideally he can handle more ice-time in all situations when he hits his prime, which could be soon.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
On the other hand, with Acciari leading the PK this past season our NetPK% was ranked #25. If the team starts playing more physically, it's likely that there will be more time on the PK and we would really need to be better there. Barkov improves the PK both by preventing goals against and by producing shorthanded goals. He could make more of a difference there than on the PP, if someone else can fill in decently there. Ideally he can handle more ice-time in all situations when he hits his prime, which could be soon.

Barky is always running his prime program. :nod:

Injuries disrupted last season, therefore causing a system malfunction :damnpc:

Version 8 coming soon! :hyper:

Reactions: Pigge

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Rumor in Finland that Barkov to play on loan for Tappara a team he partly owns. Midnight tonight Tappara is going to announce something. I really hope he's not going there on loan

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Rumor in Finland that Barkov to play on loan for Tappara a team he partly owns. Midnight tonight Tappara is going to announce something. I really hope he's not going there on loan

Why the f*** would we loan out our best player and risk potential injury?

What JH said....

I know its to get him into game shape but knowing our luck he will get taken out by someone trying to make a name for themself.

Or is this like Putin playing where they won't touch him and let him score 8 goals a game because he owns the team?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Nothing player related, they're raising money to support the team. Which sounds strange since Tappara is meant to be one of the better off teams currently.

I'm guessing they're going to start the practices again the same way as in the summer, by splitting the team into two groups before everyone gets tested. So it makes sense to have two goalies for each group (Bob/Driedger/Monty/Darling), who knows if Desroriers and Bednard will even be there, since Charlotte needs goalies too (assuming the AHL season is beginning around the same time).

I doubt we're actually going to sign him, Charlotte will have Monty/Desroriers/Bednard fighting for spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad