GDT: Free Agency 2020, Part III - Hockey is back! Regular season to begin January 13th 2021

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He’d still get his PP1 time, and maybe even play with Barkov or Huby if Q splits them to help the 2nd line?

If we have an internal cap RIP The Cats :(
He could never play with Barkov and Huberdeau.

I am ok with a down year tbh but just concerned about how it affects the ability to sign extensions. I think Zito is decent but we'll have to see, for the 2021 team he made 1 great move, a bunch of signings that don't do much for me, and let 2 very good players walk (I don't think that was him so much as ownership)

The only bad move I see (aside from Hoffman and Dadonov which again isn't on him imo) is Wennberg. I have no idea why he is going to be a 2C he is legitimately terrible offensively.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The only way this team succeeds next year is if they way overachieve - which, I guess, is possible. But I’m not optimistic, we lost a lot of talent and replaced it with nothing substantial

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The only way this team succeeds next year is if they way overachieve - which, I guess, is possible. But I’m not optimistic, we lost a lot of talent and replaced it with nothing substantial
Got to disagree: we made a lateral transition at center with Wenn for Haula; Wenn has more upside probably. Horny clearly can replace Dady.

We improved the bottom six and D greatly...I’m pretty pumped for a potential Vatrano-Acciari-Hinostroza line.

The risky thing is that we replaced Hoffman with Tippett and more group scoring; we will see what happens: remember our team last year had no depth

Reactions: harv33173

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Got to disagree: we made a lateral transition at center with Wenn for Haula; Wenn has more upside probably. Horny clearly can replace Dady.

We improved the bottom six and D greatly...I’m pretty pumped for a potential Vatrano-Acciari-Hinostroza line.

The risky thing is that we replaced Hoffman with Tippett and more group scoring; we will see what happens: remember our team last year had no depth

Friendly bet Tippett is our 3rd or 4th highest scoring forward? What's more fair?

Put your Lundell HHOF plaque (which we know is hand built by you anyhow) on the table and if you win, you get a trophy built out of Bud Light beer cans from yours truly.

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Friendly bet Tippett is our 3rd or 4th highest scoring forward? What's more fair?

Put your Lundell HHOF plaque (which we know is hand built by you anyhow) on the table and if you win, you get a trophy built out of Bud Light beer cans from yours truly.
Hmm tough for me to say ;) I think we can safely guess our top 2. For goals, I’m guessing Horny is third. I still think we are adding someone so let’s postpone so I don’t steal your hard earned gifys

Bud Light? I thought you were Canadian ;) No Molson or Labatt??

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hmm tough for me to say ;) I think we can safely guess our top 2. For goals, I’m guessing Horny is third. I still think we are adding someone so let’s postpone so I don’t steal your hard earned gifys

Bud Light? I thought you were Canadian ;) No Molson or Labatt??

Ya we can wait for sure. Just throwing out the idea to make the season more fun.

Drank enough Canadian beer in my late teens/college years to kill a moose, its no longer enjoyable.

I do splurge on MGD once in a while.
Bud Light is also lighter on the wallet and needing to save for a Reno on the house.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think we can expect Hörnqvist to replace Dadonov's production on the ice. I just rewatched the 5-5 shootout win over the Rangers from last year and it was striking how much of the first line offense that he made happen with his mobility and vision. I think he will be greatly missed.

It was less exciting to see the Vatrano-Trocheck-Malgin line in that game. I hope our new third line is an improvement.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Gotta love the arena being miles from the Atlantic Ocean and being placed in the Central.

I get the setup but still funny to me.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't think we can expect Hörnqvist to replace Dadonov's production on the ice. I just rewatched the 5-5 shootout win over the Rangers from last year and it was striking how much of the first line offense that he made happen with his mobility and vision. I think he will be greatly missed.

It was less exciting to see the Vatrano-Trocheck-Malgin line in that game. I hope our new third line is an improvement.
I was there actually ;) We can wait to see

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Gotta love the arena being miles from the Atlantic Ocean and being placed in the Central.

I get the setup but still funny to me.

But we are also the closest team to the equator, so there you go. We're arguably the most central of the central teams.

Reactions: ShootIt

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

If top 4 in the divison make it (I think they stay away from top 8 in a "conferece" due to the Canadian division problems), Florida is in the division with the 2 worst teams in the league so it may be interesting.

I like it, gives us a chance to see some different teams. Sometimes I wish they just mixed it up for the sake of giving fans more variety. I get why that doesn't happen, but it would be fun seeing haws, blues, preds, bjs 6 times a season vs. tampa tampa tampa again and again. (although yes i noticed tampa would still be in the same division with this realignment......)

I think being in a division with hawks and bjs would be fun with coach q and zito.

Reactions: harv33173 and Pigge

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Just as I predicted. The Red Wings might actually surpass the Panthers but no chance the Cats beat out the Blues, Lightning, Blue Jackets or even the Predators.

Going to be a long season despite not being that many months...
Disagree: Predators are aging fast and Blues have a major void without Pietro. No idea how to think about Columbus.

We will rely on Bob bouncing back;

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Just as I predicted. The Red Wings might actually surpass the Panthers but no chance the Cats beat out the Blues, Lightning, Blue Jackets or even the Predators.

Going to be a long season despite not being that many months...
That's a relly pessimistic way to look at it.

Chicago, yikes. Nothing to look forward to, unless Lankinen goes on a Hamburglar run.

Detroit, zero chance they're better than us. Minor changes to last year, Greiss is the only clear improvement to Howard.

Nashville, they've been running still for a good 2-3 years now. Different coach, but the roster is virtually the same.

Pittsburgh, hasn't really been the same since 2017. Also Matheson takes like at least 6pts off their total.

Columbus, all I'm gonna say is that Torts has been there for 5 years now (longest tenure 6.5 years with TB) and when the players grow tired of him, it'll happen overnight and there's no return.

St. Louis, would the 2018-19 Jordan Binnington please stand up? They're vulnerable like any team without good goaltending.

TB, obviously beating the current SC champion is going to be tough.

I see two teams that we should absolutely beat every time, two teams that should give a fair fight, two teams that will be a challenge, and one team where even one win or AWGAP would be a success. No one said it was gonna be easy.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

Chicago, yikes. Nothing to look forward to, unless Lankinen goes on a Hamburglar run.

Detroit, zero chance they're better than us. Minor changes to last year, Greiss is the only clear improvement to Howard.

Nashville, they've been running still for a good 2-3 years now. Different coach, but the roster is virtually the same.

Pittsburgh, hasn't really been the same since 2017. Also Matheson takes like at least 6pts off their total.

Columbus, all I'm gonna say is that Torts has been there for 5 years now (longest tenure 6.5 years with TB) and when the players grow tired of him, it'll happen overnight and there's no return.

St. Louis, would the 2018-19 Jordan Binnington please stand up? They're vulnerable like any team without good goaltending.

I see two teams that we should absolutely beat every time, two teams that should give a fair fight, two teams that will be a challenge, and one team where even one win or AWGAP would be a success. No one said it was gonna be easy.
I see it the same way (subtraction of Petro for Blues also being a big deal) and I think CBJ and Panthers will still make additions to the roster, while TB makes a couple of subtractions.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I don't think either ways of looking at it work. You take the most unfavorable view of the rest of the teams in the division while being optimistic about the Panthers. Chicago-Panthers-Nashville are the closest group, but unless there is a big upset, I don't see any cracking the top 4.

Detroit; is worse, they have no depth. It will be a really tough test for Greiss.
Chicago; is really similar talent wise and team composition wise.
Panthers; have a question mark in goal and the worse #2C in the league and one of the worse third pairing in the league. Lots of young with upside.
Nashville; is the new Minnesota, they'll be good enough.
Pittsburgh; is very top heavy, but it's a really good top. Top 6 and top 4 are great, the rest is below average. Question mark in goal.
Columbus; has the best defense in the division and a very underrated goalie tandem.
St. Louis; they won't miss Pietro as much as people think. They have great depth and solid top end. Binnington was 7 in Vezina vote last year, 5th in SV% for goalies with 45+ games.
TB is great, even if they have to dump some salary, they'll still be great.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Against the proposed division last season the Panthers were 11-5-2

As well, they had two games cancelled at the end of the season in this proposed division last season.

Vs St. Louis
@ Detroit (which I was planning to attend..) :nopity:

Both teams they were undefeated against: 4-0

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't think either ways of looking at it work. You take the most unfavorable view of the rest of the teams in the division while being optimistic about the Panthers. Chicago-Panthers-Nashville are the closest group, but unless there is a big upset, I don't see any cracking the top 4.

Detroit; is worse, they have no depth. It will be a really tough test for Greiss.
Chicago; is really similar talent wise and team composition wise.
Panthers; have a question mark in goal and the worse #2C in the league and one of the worse third pairing in the league. Lots of young with upside.
Nashville; is the new Minnesota, they'll be good enough.
Pittsburgh; is very top heavy, but it's a really good top. Top 6 and top 4 are great, the rest is below average. Question mark in goal.
Columbus; has the best defense in the division and a very underrated goalie tandem.
St. Louis; they won't miss Pietro as much as people think. They have great depth and solid top end. Binnington was 7 in Vezina vote last year, 5th in SV% for goalies with 45+ games.
TB is great, even if they have to dump some salary, they'll still be great.
You complained that he took the most positive view of the Panthers and the most negative view of others, and then you counter by taking the most negative view of the Panthers and (almost) the most positive view of others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad