Frederik Andersen front runner for the Vezina

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So do the Jets, Caps and Ducks have a weak defense then by your logic?

And LOL you're reaching now, the Ducks, Caps and Jets weren't top 10 in shot against last year either. The year the Pens won the cup, they gave up the 4th most shots in the league
Our defense was garbage in October, and now half our starting D-men are injured. So yeah, our defense has been lacking this season.

Last season we were 5th in the league in SA, so unless you're saying that we weren't one of the 10 teams that allowed the most shots last season, you're simply incorrect.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Is this basically Cloutier/Vancouver 2.0 without the memes? (Ie goalie carried by offense)

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Our defense was garbage in October, and now half our starting D-men are injured. So yeah, our defense has been lacking this season.

Last season we were 5th in the league in SA, so unless you're saying that we weren't one of the 10 teams that allowed the most shots last season, you're simply incorrect.
Wrong actually, last season the Jets gave up the 13th fewest shots in the league at 31.9.

NHL.com - Stats

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
You're not including special teams, right? Please tell me you're not including special teams in a measure of total shots allowed.
You joined a conversation regarding total shots and now you're going to throw a fit about it?

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Favourite? Unlikely but he’s definitely in the conversation at the moment. Lots of time left.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Is this basically Cloutier/Vancouver 2.0 without the memes? (Ie goalie carried by offense)
Absolutely not. Almost the other way around in a way... Andersen keeps that ugly defence from disaster and lets the offence do the work.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
This is sad, you must be one of those plus/minus people.

Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey

Far right column, this is for 5v5

Goalie Stats - Corsica Hockey

Far right column, this is for shorthanded.

These are the stats you should be looking at. They take context into account and teammates out.

So I guess you are one of those stats be damned people?

Listen, Gibson is good I'm not going to argue that. You cannot discount the fact that Rinne has a better GAA and SV% than Gibson at this point of the season.

Will it stay like that? Who knows. We have 4 of our best 6 players on the IR right now with no knowledge how long they will all be out. In fact, Rinne's last 4 games he's given up 2, 3, 3, and 2 goals which made his GAA rise and SV% drop. I feel pretty damn confident that if Rinne keeps his GAA at 2.00 or below he will lock up another Vezina trophy provided he plays 55 games or so.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
But they aren’t the “top team in the league” they are one of many that are in the top.
Leafs fans become annoying when they claim they are clearly the best at everything when it’s not true. Lightning fans didn’t claim every single player on the roster is deserving of an award last season neither did us Predators fans.

Pretty sure it was just a lazy way of saying "a top team?" The poor writer did not seem to expect rampant insecurity.

Leaf fans don't claim all our guys will win awards either but it is hard to ignore that the media has tagged a few of our guys as potential trophy winners.

Expecting us to ignore this or not to discuss because of HF insecurity is too much to ask.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Listen, Gibson is good I'm not going to argue that. You cannot discount the fact that Rinne has a better GAA and SV% than Gibson at this point of the season.

Will it stay like that? Who knows. We have 4 of our best 6 players on the IR right now with no knowledge how long they will all be out. In fact, Rinne's last 4 games he's given up 2, 3, 3, and 2 goals which made his GAA rise and SV% drop. I feel pretty damn confident that if Rinne keeps his GAA at 2.00 or below he will lock up another Vezina trophy provided he plays 55 games or so.
I said in my previous post that Rinne checks all of the boxes voters are looking for, and IF things continue as they have he's probably the favorite for the Vezina but Gibson is has been the best goaltender in the NHL this year. ANA may be even worse defensively than the Leafs and Gibson is still killing it, his GSAA is on pace to be the highest ever.

Rinne and Anderson would be neck-in-neck for second. but I think history and the fact the Preds probably finish the season as cup favorites outweigh the extra media attention Anderson gets from playing in Toronto.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pretty sure it was just a lazy way of saying "a top team?" The poor writer did not seem to expect rampant insecurity.

Leaf fans don't claim all our guys will win awards either but it is hard to ignore that the media has tagged a few of our guys as potential trophy winners.

Expecting us to ignore this or not to discuss because of HF insecurity is too much to ask.
Here's a thought: Instead of everyone else being "Insecure", perhaps they have a point when they dispute a claim of the Leafs being the front-runner/best/top.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Here's a thought: Instead of everyone else being "Insecure", perhaps they have a point when they dispute a claim of the Leafs being the front-runner/best/top.

It's never "Andersen is having a good season", "Toronto has great forwards", it's always "front-runner for the Vezina" and "best top 9 in the NHL" and then they wonder why people take exception.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's never "Andersen is having a good season", "Toronto has great forwards", it's always "front-runner for the Vezina" and "best top 9 in the NHL" and then they wonder why people take exception.
This post is the clear front-runner for Most Accurate. TSN has it listed as the best combination of words on the board. In fact, now that we've added this testimonial, I think we can all agree it's a 'post'-season contender. AINEC.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

You forgot Babcock is undoubtedly Jack Adams winner.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Maybe years of only being relevant because of where they are makes them want to prove to everybody that they are relevant now for hockey reasons?? Only half one of these :sarcasm:.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Honestly as a Leaf fan this drives me crazy.

We haven’t won a damn thing. None of our players have won a major award, yet there are those of us who act like we are the undisputed best at whatever random category.

I truly don’t understand it. I want the play of the team to do the talking. I’m very happy with how good the team looks, and this is the most optimistic I’ve ever been as a Leafs fan, but I’m not going to shout about how great this team is, or the players are, until there’s something real to back it up.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

The only insecure people are Leafs fans (not all of them) that have to have their guys and team pumped to the stratosphere.
According to them
Leafs have the best top 9 in the league
Best Defense in the league
Best Goalie in the league
Best Coach in the league

What that stacked team, Why aren’t they blowing everyone out and 27-0 right now?

Honestly as a Leaf fan this drives me crazy.

We haven’t won a damn thing. None of our players have won a major award, yet there are those of us who act like we are the undisputed best at whatever random category.

I truly don’t understand it. I want the play of the team to do the talking. I’m very happy with how good the team looks, and this is the most optimistic I’ve ever been as a Leafs fan, but I’m not going to shout about how great this team is, or the players are, until there’s something real to back it up.
This guys gets it. The Leafs have a lot of like able players and is a solid team, but it’s annoying when a minority of fans act like they are better than the 1985 Oilers or 2002 Canadian Olympic Team. Enjoy winning but don’t rub it in everyone else’s face.

Last edited:
Reactions: stampedingviking

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That is not the issue, it's the people upset by the very discussion. Only a moron would claim anyone is a lock this early going.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Stats be damned? I gave you a link to the stats you should be looking at. Save percentage and goals against average are incredibly flawed and shallow metrics.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The only insecure people are Leafs fans (not all of them) that have to have their guys and team pumped to the stratosphere.
According to them
Leafs have the best top 9 in the league
Best Defense in the league
Best Goalie in the league
Best Coach in the league

What that stacked team, Why aren’t they blowing everyone out and 27-0 right now?

This guys gets it. The Leafs have a lot of like able players and is a solid team, but it’s annoying when a minority of fans act like they are better than the 1985 Oilers or 2002 Canadian Olympic Team. Enjoy winning but don’t rub it in everyone else’s face.

Well you have a case on thee best top 9 and maybe coach but all are subjective as hell.

But you are incorrect. It is normal to see someone write "Player X could win the X" and want to talk about it, especially when your team has not won a major award since Gilmour.

I'm sorry, but the guys that get upset by the very topic are showing the insecurity, not the guys who want to enjoy rare success. Now I get that we are a big bunch and so our interest is big, but I'm tired of apologizing for having the biggest fan base. People need to avoid Leaf threads if their blood boils every time they see a positive topic by the largest fan base.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well you have a case on thee best top 9 and maybe coach but all are subjective as hell.

But you are incorrect. It is normal to see someone write "Player X could win the X" and want to talk about it, especially when your team has not won a major award since Gilmour.

I'm sorry, but the guys that get upset by the very topic are showing the insecurity, not the guys who want to enjoy rare success. Now I get that we are a big bunch and so our interest is big, but I'm tired of apologizing for having the biggest fan base. People need to avoid Leaf threads if their blood boils every time they see a positive topic by the largest fan base.
There is also an entire forum dedicated to your fan base to over analyze these things there.

Reactions: stampedingviking

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There is also an entire forum dedicated to your fan base to over analyze these things there.
Yes yes we know, leaf fans are only allowed to use their own forums while everyone else can talk about their Players on the main, but we Leaf fans are the insecure ones. Brought to you by a Habs fan. Priceless irony.

Sorry buddy, we'll use the main forums like everyone else. Not accepting 2nd class citizen status. You Habs fans are welcome to it.

I'll assume you are equally offended by the Dylan Strome, Rantanen, Koskinen and Kunitz threads also right? I'm sure if I check right now you have posts in all of them telling them to use their own forum right?

I'm not sure you get Hockey forums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad