Frederik Andersen front runner for the Vezina

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
has my vote. the true MVP of the leafs. always has been. he stands on his head game in and game out. He was average in the playoffs and look what happened. Without this man the Leafs are a bottom playoff team. noway they are this high up in the standings

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
More deflection. I'm still waiting for a single piece of evidence the Leafs have a good defence.

3rd in GA/GP this year, 12th last year. They will finish top 10 this year and that is before any deadline additions (they have about ~5M in cap which will keep growing the closer they get to the deadline).

Who knew getting rid of Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Polak etc and replacing them with Tavares, and a bunch of hardworking tenacious forecheckers from the Calder Cup winning Marlies would result in a better team?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Oh what the hell does Gwen Steffani know about hockey?
Hey You! I know that she might be Just A Girl (or maybe even an Ex-Girlfriend?) to you, but you should just Settle Down. Underneath It All, she must believe that Andersen is Looking Hot, but still leading a Simple Kind of Life. He's playing well enough to stay out of the Doghouse, you might even say he's been Hella Good. Are you Happy Now? Excuse Me Mr., I just think this comment was a little unnecessary on a Sunday Morning. Show some respect.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
3rd in GA/GP this year, 12th last year. They will finish top 10 this year and that is before any deadline additions (they have about ~5M in cap which will keep growing the closer they get to the deadline).

Who knew getting rid of Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Polak etc and replacing them with Tavares, and a bunch of hardworking tenacious forecheckers from the Calder Cup winning Marlies would result in a better team?

[mod]

Anaheim gave up the 3rd fewest goals last season. They also gave up the 6th most shots. Would you like to know why they were able to give up so few goals, despite their goaltenders being peppered with shots every night?

Goaltending. Their defense was not particular good, and they definitely weren’t scoring an above average number of goals. They were an average offensive team(in large part due to Rakell and Getzlaf), with questionable defense, who was leaning heavily on the goaltending of Miller and Gibson to save their asses.

Your argument is just another variation of BAM’s, albeit a more intelligent version of it. Goals against is a team stat, yes, but it’s contributed to by many factors. Goaltending, defense, and offense.

Which goes to the point that I’m sure a lot of neutral fans would agree with: Toronto does not have a good defense. They have a good goaltender, and their offense helps protect them a lot by pushing things into the opposing team’s end.

More on the opinion side of things, I think that throws even more doubt on their defense, because when your offense is that good, you should be seeing fewer shots on net, and your goaltender shouldn’t need to work as hard. The fact neither is true here might actually suggest their defense is worse than otherwise indicated.

Reactions: Lshap

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
[mod]

Anaheim gave up the 3rd fewest goals last season. They also gave up the 6th most shots. Would you like to know why they were able to give up so few goals, despite their goaltenders being peppered with shots every night?

Goaltending.

Your argument is just another variation of BAM’s, albeit a more intelligent version of it. Goals against is a team stat, yes, but it’s contributed to by many factors. Goaltending, defense, and offense.

Which goes to the point that I’m sure a lot of neutral fans would agree with: Toronto does not have a good defense. They have a good goaltender, and their offense helps protect them a lot by pushing things into the opposing team’s end.

More on the opinion side of things, I think that throws even more doubt on their defense, because when your offense is that good, you should be seeing fewer shots on net, and your goaltender shouldn’t need to work as hard. The fact neither is true here might actually suggest their defense is worse than otherwise indicated.

If the Leafs have a good goaltender, why was HFBoards freaking out that he was 4th in votes for the Vezina last year?

The defense definitely won't finish 3rd in GA/GP. They are playing above their level right now, no doubt about it, but they are also not close to being as bad as HF thinks it is.

All good teams have a goaltender bailing them out. Look at the Bruins this year...without Halak putting up the numbers he's putting up, that team is losing by multiple goals each night.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Because Rinne has the same defense and even better numbers this year

Just compare his and Saros’ numbers and see the difference. It’s certainly not just the defense.
Saros 3.29 GAA
Rinne 1.86 GAA
And having watched almost every Predator game this year the team plays a more defensive game with Saros in net because they trust Pekka to bail them out.
Andersen’s backup has almost similar stats

So what are you trying to say? Andersen is only good because of the Leafs defence which everyone claims is awful?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If the Leafs have a good goaltender, why was HFBoards freaking out that he was 4th in votes for the Vezina last year?

The defense definitely won't finish 3rd in GA/GP. They are playing above their level right now, no doubt about it, but they are also not close to being as bad as HF thinks it is.

All good teams have a goaltender bailing them out. Look at the Bruins this year...without Halak putting up the numbers he's putting up, that team is losing by multiple goals each night.

Because his numbers weren’t as good as other goaltenders, except in the wins category, which is far more of a team stat.

It wasn’t because he isn’t a good goaltender. It’s because other goaltenders were more deserving. That’s it. Andersen is a good goaltender. It was just kind of silly to see him 4th in voting without the overall numbers. If anything, that suggests the voters felt he was even more important to his team’s success than his individual numbers pointed to. Which is probably true. It was just a slight on some other goaltenders where that was also true for them, and they also had better numbers.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So what are you trying to say? Andersen is only good because of the Leafs defence which everyone claims is awful?
I am not making the claim the Leafs defense is bad but several are claiming for Rinne that it is all his defense yet his back up has twice the goals against.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think he's top 5 - he's been way more consistent this year and without the crap start of the past. If he can keep this up he could be a finalist, made some great saves last night.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Crazy huh?

Top team in the league has top tier players in a number of key positions. Who could have guessed?
But they aren’t the “top team in the league” they are one of many that are in the top.
Leafs fans become annoying when they claim they are clearly the best at everything when it’s not true. Lightning fans didn’t claim every single player on the roster is deserving of an award last season neither did us Predators fans.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Top team in the league by what metric?

1 point out of first place with the best goal differential in the league and they have played this far into the season missing their #1C and an elite winger so they are only about to get better.

I'd say they are currently looking like the team to beat.

Reactions: Kelly

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
But they aren’t the “top team in the league” they are one of many that are in the top.
Leafs fans become annoying when they claim they are clearly the best at everything when it’s not true. Lightning fans didn’t claim every single player on the roster is deserving of an award last season neither did us Predators fans.

Good teams and players deserve recognition.

Look at the ASG last year, TB sent four guys and a lot of their players were favorites for the major awards until they faded a bit down the stretch.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
Not really. Hes just an easy scapegoat.

I mean he was scapegoated more than he deserved, but from watching that game it seemed like he was on the ice during the majority of the Bruins goals, and he didn’t look good during the majority of his shifts.

Not that it’s too relevent for this thread topic, I was just sympathetic for Andersen in that series.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Good teams and players deserve recognition.

Look at the ASG last year, TB sent four guys and a lot of their players were favorites for the major awards until they faded a bit down the stretch.
There are other good teams and players in the league! The Leafs aren’t even in 1st place in their division.

Here’s the thing that’s irritating, WE KNOW THE LEAFS ARE GOOD and has good players but there is no reason to make a thread about every player on the roster.
Looking at the Main Boards
The Hart Favorites
are Tavares, Marner, Matthews, Reilly
The Vezina is Andersen’s without a doubt
The Norris favorites are Reilly, Durmont, Gardnier
It’s only the 1/4 mark of the season let’s pump the brakes on the Leafs are unbeatable train

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
No doubt he's a good goalie. A Vezina winner? Nah. Doesn't have the head and for me there's no doubt.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He’s certainly in the mix, way too early to say if he’s the front runner. Rinne and Gibson seem to be the other obvious candidates, and they have similar numbers as well. Might come down to win totals

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Are you dense.

Andersen faces plenty more shots that the average goalie.

Andersen makes plenty more saves than the average goalie and while the majority of those shots aren’t HD shots, they are still save. Andersen also makes the HD shots when he needs to.

Good? Okay.

None of that takes away from the fact that the Leafs are one of the best teams in suppressing HD chances.
This has to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on here.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs do not have a single player that is "no doubt" the best player in any position. We don't need multiple threads on the subject.

Good thing that's not what he said. The Leafs have several players who are near the absolute top of the league, and that more than most teams can say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad