Frederik Andersen front runner for the Vezina

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Would probably agree. Games played and the defense in front of him putting him over Rinne. Still early though

Reactions: zaqq

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
No doubt. Bails out the defense every night. He's the only reason they didnt get swept in the playoffs.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
There is definitely doubt, and he doesn't face the most shots. Anderson and Gibson(someone who also has an argument for the Vezina, at this point) face more.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Since coming to the Leafs he's faced nearly 400 more shots against than any other goalie in the league. I really thought he was pretty overrated and not worth what Lou gave up for him. I was wrong, the guy has a good eye for goalies.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Close enough.

He's 127 shots away from 1st. If you think that's close, then Jake Allen at 13th is close to F.Anderson in shots as well

Reactions: Sensators

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's 127 shots away from 1st. If you think that's close, then Jake Allen at 13th is close to F.Anderson in shots as well

Yeah, agreed, that's definitely not an accurate statement. Anderson has played 2 more games, and Gibson 1, but the difference isn't a game's worth. That's a 63 shot difference just from Andersen to Gibson, and Gibson is only 2nd in shots against.

It's not "close enough" it's blatantly wrong.

Edit: He edited to say "almost" the most shots against.

Reactions: Kiekura

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
No doubt. Just a great team from A to Z

Top tier F's and G's. Great D and elite depth at C. Several real leaders with A's on their shirts. Still missing B and E though, not sure how to go about adding those.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They have Norris favorite Rielly. Of course it's a good defense.

But wait, they need Andersen to save their ass. So he should win the Vezina.

Convenient, no?

Love the signature, man. I miss her.
Rielly does deserve his credit, but that's one guy. And granted, on paper, I don't really see anything wrong with Toronto. I like their D corps and they're deep at center.

But after awhile, you are what you are. They've given up more shots and chances than the f***ing Rangers.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Yah, and the leafs are also bottom third in regards to defenseman. Poor andersen will be dead come playoff time by carrying this team.

Btw Morgan Rielly is HORRID defensively. Yah he's good offensively, but look who he plays with on the powerplay. 40% of his output is on the pp.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
They have Norris favorite Rielly. Of course it's a good defense.

But wait, they need Andersen to save their ass. So he should win the Vezina.

Convenient, no?

Love the signature, man. I miss her.

Didn't realize one guy made up a whole 6 man d-core. :facepalm:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Didn't realize one guy made up a whole 6 man d-core. :facepalm:

The point is that you can't call it a good defense(which many Toronto fans consistently do) and then talk about how Andersen deserves the Vezina because he saves their ass and sees so many shots. Those two statements are at odds with each other.

The Rielly comment was more of a joke. He's had a good season so far, but I'm not sold on his defense just yet. I also don't buy that an elite Norris favorite is playing 22 minutes a game because Toronto doesn't need more.

Regardless... A good defense makes the goaltender's job easier. It's either a good defense, or Andersen saves their ass. It's not going to be both. So which is? Are Andersen's numbers a product of a good defense? In which case he shouldn't be the front runner, or is the defense not very good, and Andersen is helping carry them to wins? In which case he's among the current Vezina candidates.

Which also throws into question Rielly's minutes, because if that's the case, why isn't he actually playing more? It seems like they need him to. You don't intentionally give your goaltender that kind of workload in a game if you can avoid it. The entire argument is circular. Either the defense is good enough, and Andersen is being overrated, or the defense isn't good enough and Rielly's minutes are still being kept low, despite the fact they need more from him, but at least then Andersen is deserving of being called a front runner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad