Frederik Andersen front runner for the Vezina

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There is no discussion if there is "no doubt", is there?

Do you follow? Can you understand?

There’s no doubt for me.

Others are allowed to have opinions.

Something you apparently don’t believe in.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
[mod]

Andersen faces plenty more shots that the average goalie.

Andersen makes plenty more saves than the average goalie and while the majority of those shots aren’t HD shots, they are still save. Andersen also makes the HD shots when he needs to.

Good? Okay.

None of that takes away from the fact that the Leafs are one of the best teams in suppressing HD chances.

So, why did you make this thread again, praising all the great saves Andersen has made, and talking about all the shots he faces? Seems more like a thread for the Toronto board then. It certainly doesn’t seem noteworthy if the defense is making his job so easy, as you seem to be suggesting. An average goaltender is expected to save low quality shots, even in higher numbers. Is your argument that Andersen is average?

[mod] I’m just pointing out the contradiction in your arguments. All you’re doing is showing that you’ll happily change your arguments around depending on whether you’re trying to praise your blue line or your goaltender. As soon as the defense is questioned, they’re great and make things easier on Andersen, but prior to that Andersen was facing soooooo many shots, and as such he should be a Vezina front-runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Narwian

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
LMAO other teams have lost their best player for 13 games and their 4th best forward for the entire season thus far? Show me the teams.

The Leafs give up the 5th most shots per game in the league (33.6). The Capitals (32.6) and Jets (32.6) give up a full 1 less shot per game. Are you going to say that the Jets and Caps have bad defenses too?

Can we call the Ducks a bad defense too? They give up the second most shots in the league with all their great defensemen.

Out of the top 10 teams that give up the fewest shot attempts per game:

1. Vegas (17th in overall standings)
2. Carolina (18th in overall standings)
3. Calgary (8th in overall standings)
4. San Jose (16th in overall standings)
5. Nashville (3rd in overall standings)
6. Philly (27th in overall standings)
7. Minnesota (13th in overall standings)
8. Edmonton (19th in overall standings)
9. Arizona (23rd in overall standings)
10. Dallas (11th in overall standings)

So only 2 teams in the top 10 of the NHL are within the top 10 of fewest shots per game...

Try harder next time.
I don't need to "Try harder". The numbers speak for themselves. You've written a long post that completely avoids any evidence that Toronto's defence is good. Being higher up in the standings doesn't prove a team has a good defence.

Reactions: Sojourn

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I don't need to "Try harder". The numbers speak for themselves. You've written a long post that completely avoids any evidence that Toronto's defence is good. Being higher up in the standings doesn't prove a team has a good defence.

The argument essentially comes down to “Toronto is winning games, therefore their (insert player/position) is great.”

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Oh really? You mean like the ones I just provided that you haven no answer for? Jets, Caps and Ducks all got bad defenses too by your logic?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Oh really? You mean like the ones I just provided that you haven no answer for? Jets, Caps and Ducks all got bad defenses too by your logic?

Are you really not even going to acknowledge Anaheim fans saying their defense is bad right now?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
[mod]

Andersen faces plenty more shots that the average goalie.

Andersen makes plenty more saves than the average goalie and while the majority of those shots aren’t HD shots, they are still save. Andersen also makes the HD shots when he needs to.

Good? Okay.

None of that takes away from the fact that the Leafs are one of the best teams in suppressing HD chances.
This is a vezina thread.... gibson faces more shots, saves more and our defensive system is awful. Your basically makin the arguement as to why gibson deserves vezina

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Spazkat

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If not the front runner, he should be up there. Guy's doing great this year. Leafs still need a stud defenseman but with Andersen there he's a big help and almost as good as any defensemen.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Anderson is definitely a contender right now, but his save percentage is also 12% higher than his career average (8% better than his best season save percentage, which was as backup, 12% better than his best season as starter), so unless he suddenly got significantly better in his 5th season as starter, we should expect regression.

Surprisingly, Anderson's play is NOT driven by an unsustainable shorthanded save percentage.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
FCB30C69-2EFD-497F-BD8E-0B5C9B976728.png
I mean, the stats show the same thing.

Damn those stats.

Reactions: Koijari

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
When teams give up lots of shots, they almost always have a weak defence. What are you not understanding?

The only difference between Toronto and those other teams is some of them have previously had strong defences with the same core. Will they recover or is this a downward trend for them? Either way, discussing other teams is simply a deflection from Toronto's weakness.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
When teams give up lots of shots, they almost always have a weak defence. What are you not understanding?

The only difference between Toronto and those other teams is some of them have previously had strong defences with the same core. Will they recover or is this a downward trend for them? Either way, discussing other teams is simply a deflection from Toronto's weakness.
So do the Jets, Caps and Ducks have a weak defense then by your logic?

And LOL you're reaching now, the Ducks, Caps and Jets weren't top 10 in shot against last year either. The year the Pens won the cup, they gave up the 4th most shots in the league

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There’s no doubt for me.

Others are allowed to have opinions.

Something you apparently don’t believe in.
I'm sorry but your thread title preempts the idea that anyone else is entitled to doubt that Andersen is the front run. It's a declaratory statement that insists upon truth. It's good that within the thread, you acknowledge that people are free to disagree, as they should. But the title itself signals that there can really only be one truth.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm sorry but your thread title preempts the idea that anyone else is entitled to doubt that Andersen is the front run. It's a declaratory statement that insists upon truth. It's good that within the thread, you acknowledge that people are free to disagree, as they should. But the title itself signals that there can really only be one truth.

The title is stating my opinion.

People are allowed to comment with their opinion.

Welcome to a message board.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
andersen is a lot better though..... :ha: .... he is from here, and i like the ducks, not leafs :mad:

You're a Ducks fan and you've actually watched them this year and you think that? huh :huh:

Also what do you mean he's from here... Freddie is from Denmark not SoCal lol <edit: scratch that - just looked at your avi. assuming you are also from Denmark?>

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
He's played very well. There's the occasional leaky goal but those happen to everyone.
Babs is going to need to spell him down the stretch though; Leafs are good enough enough they can win with Sparks in net. First round vs. Boston, MTL or TB is going to be a legit test. Glad Senators never had to face anyone that tough in the first round in recent memory.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

And LOL you're reaching now, the Ducks, Caps and Jets weren't top 10 in shot against last year either. The year the Pens won the cup, they gave up the 4th most shots in the league

Let me spell this out for you one more time:

The Ducks have been crap defensively this season and last. Stop trying to use them as an argument against shot totals. I’m doing you a favor here, because you’re proving his point. Do you understand that? You’re trying so hard to ignore that shot totals don’t point to a weaker defense, that you’re ignoring cases where shot totals are an example of a weaker defense.

As for the rest of your point, a team can be good and be weaker defensively. They accomplish that through goaltending and offense. A good team is not always good at everything. In fact, usually they aren’t. I don’t think anyone looked at that Pittsburgh Cup-winning team as an example of strong defense. You’re just trying to list teams that have had success and say that because they had success they can’t be weaker defensively.

As far as arguments go, you could do better. I hope. All you’re doing now is disregarding every single thing that can contribute to a team winning a hockey game, except for shots.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The title is stating my opinion.

People are allowed to comment with their opinion.

Welcome to a message board.
Yeah that's not how it works. And your snark is really unnecessary. A thread title denotes an opinion if it explicitly states it's an opinion. Otherwise it denotes a general matter of discussion, fact, or news. You didn't include in the title "IMO" to say "IMO There's No Doubt Freddie Andersen is the Front Runner for the Vezina"

When you say something like "no doubt" on its own, it reads to everyone else like "If you don't think this, you're wrong. Or an idiot." As I said, your chosen term here preempts any other truth from being valid whether it is simply your opinion or not. "No doubt" on its own can only be read as "there can be no doubt." If you want people to know it's no doubt in Cor's mind, then say that.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

More deflection. I'm still waiting for a single piece of evidence the Leafs have a good defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad