News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I reckon any goalie with that kind of mileage on them is playing through something. I doubt any of them are at 100%.

That's why anyone signing a 30 year old goalie to a long-term deal should be put in an insane asylum. Just cough up a 1st or two every 5 years to pick up whoever the flavor of the month finishing his RFA deal is or spend that 1st drafting him in the first place.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
If we’re sitting everyone with an injury, we wouldn’t have 1 player on the ice.

Reactions: banks

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Hutchinson is your other option.. :(
Hutchinson's Ottawa outing was horrendous but he's still sporting a 0.922. That is 0.022 better than Andersen. I don't feel confident that Hutchinson will keep his 0.922 but I think he can keep it around Freddie territory. Hutchinson's career average is 0.906.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
That's why anyone signing a 30 year old goalie to a long-term deal should be put in an insane asylum. Just cough up a 1st or two every 5 years to pick up whoever the flavor of the month finishing his RFA deal is or spend that 1st drafting him in the first place.
This. Although, I think Dubas tried to do that with Campbell. I do think he can be a starter if he could stay healthy but he's had a tough go so far.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
If Hutch can't outplay Andersen with an injured groin, shoot him off to the moon.
It's not like Hutch is some prospect you're developing. He should be able to step in and do an adequate job.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If Hutch can't outplay Andersen with an injured groin, shoot him off to the moon.
It's not like Hutch is some prospect you're developing. He should be able to step in and do an adequate job.
What do you want him for?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If he (still) had this groin issue as of Sunday (and assuming Keefe was aware), then why on earth pull Hutch after 2 quick goals when Freddie had a full game the night before? It wasn't a critical game, or at least not so much so to justify risking your starter turning a nagging injury into a chronic/long-term one.

Reactions: Confucius

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Matthews is playing with a nagging injury and it’s commonly accepted that his performance level has dropped.
Fred isn’t a good starter anymore but obviously an injury might decrease his level to what has been seen this season (extremely bad, costing games)
He wasn’t good last season (aside from the play in) but it wasn’t this bad; he would have been run out of town before the season started. And yes, goalies will play with nagging groin injuries obviously, don’t be dumb.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is playing with a nagging injury and it’s commonly accepted that his performance level has dropped.
Fred isn’t a good starter anymore but obviously an injury might decrease his level to what has been seen this season (extremely bad, costing games)
He wasn’t good last season (aside from the play in) but it wasn’t this bad; he would have been run out of town before the season started. And yes, goalies will play with nagging groin injuries obviously, don’t be dumb.

Seem to recall Andersen was this bad but was saved by a global pandemic postponing the season for 5 months. Which resulted in a swift 10 day return to play.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Seem to recall Andersen was this bad but was saved by a global pandemic postponing the season for 5 months. Which resulted in a swift 10 day return to play.
I recall him being noticeably in decline with a higher proportion of bad goals but still the ability to steal a game on a rare occasion. This season it would be a shock to everyone if he got a shutout on a great effort and was awarded first star; he is an actual liability and it’s not even a game 7.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Welp, I guess I knew it when I saw him play in Montreal, he was down for long after stretching out his leg/groin on the breakaway. Groin injuries are a pest, hope it isnt too bad, it can snap any game and hes out for the season

Reactions: Gary Nylund

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Why is he even playing if he's hurt? Hutch isn't great at all but neither is Andersen when he's hurt.

This seems to incredibly dumb. Especially pulling hutch so quick against Ottawa knowing Andersen was hurt and played the night before... Mind boggling

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I think it might be a damage control excuse because Dubas and Shanny knows Things are a mess right now and Leafs nation will be calling for someone’s head soon. Lol

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Why is he even playing if he's hurt? Hutch isn't great at all but neither is Andersen when he's hurt.

This seems to incredibly dumb. Especially pulling hutch so quick against Ottawa knowing Andersen was hurt and played the night before... Mind boggling

Yeah it doesn’t make sense. I guess they’re willing to let him aggravate the injury and lose complete confidence in himself with his play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad