News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This is the kind of article we were needing. Maybe the team needs to let some stuff out for us occasionally eh. Explains so much to me personally.
We need a top notch penalty killing unit ( units) goalie depth, Freddy needs rest and way we go again. Freddy should back up Campbell to rest the groin. I sh!t on him pretty good because they are playing him injured. I take it all back. Let the guy rest jeezus.
So get healthy and possibly get a couple good defensive players at the deadline seems like a possible route the team will take. Plus a goalie depth plan

Reactions: Eric bungay

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Groin injury, hmm that's not surprising. I doubt that'll affect the narrative that Andersen is the worst goalie in hockey history though, that train is blasting ahead at full speed.

I wonder though, the numbers show that he's been very good at ES and horrible on the PK this season. That makes a lot of sense as reduced mobility would I guess impact the PK the most where it's less positioning and more reflexes. Has he sucked throughout his career on the PK or is it just this season? If it's just this season than I suppose that would support the story that he is indeed injured.

So perhaps there is hope after all - if Freddie is able to get some rest and recover, maybe we'll see the old Freddie again just in time for the playoffs?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not unsympathetic when I hear this kind of news, cause you certainly feel bad for trashing up a guy fighting through pain to help the team.

But it raises more questions than it answers because he came back after a back to back shut out of the Oilers, and was pretty good in game 3 vs Edmonton.

Hutchinson wasn’t strong vs Vancouver, and was terrible vs Ottawa but why risk longer term injury to Fred and trashing the whole season by putting Andersen back into the Sens game?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Damn. Well that might explain the Mason Appleton back breaker couple of games ago. Freddie was really slow in stretching out his left pad. All in all he has seemed a bit sluggish most of this season.
He couldn’t move. It must be sore when he is labouring like that for sure. I would like info like this. We are all blowing a gasket thinking he’s done and they are playing him through maintenance of a injury. I get it that they have to. Just say whats up instead of winding everyone up too.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Groin injury, hmm that's not surprising. I doubt that'll affect the narrative that Andersen is the worst goalie in hockey history though, that train is blasting ahead at full speed.

I wonder though, the numbers show that he's been very good at ES and horrible on the PK this season. That makes a lot of sense as reduced mobility would I guess impact the PK the most where it's less positioning and more reflexes. Has he sucked throughout his career on the PK or is it just this season? If it's just this season than I suppose that would support the story that he is indeed injured.

So perhaps there is hope after all - if Freddie is able to get some rest and recover, maybe we'll see the old Freddie again just in time for the playoffs?
I was calling him everything but his name thinking he was done. I feel bad for the guy now because they didn’t say he was playing while doing maintenance on a nagging groin injury. Hindsight,he’s played well under the circumstances.
Get a healthy Campbell back and we can get him rested. Fingers crossed

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, I don't understand why they wouldn't give Joe Woll a look there. No disrespect to Hutch, but there is no way Woll could be any worse than hutch and an injured Fred... Hutch has been largely good all year, but we knew a game like sunday's was coming with him. Woll has the pedigree'ish, 3rd rounder, UNDP/BC/WJC and had decent numbers at all levels with the exception to a poo rookie year for a trash bucket Marlies team last year. It's not like we'd be handing the keys over to him, but if a 7th round prospect like Joey D'Accord, who to date has shittier career numbers can beat the #1 team in the north, then why can't Woll get a game or 2? f*** we might be surprised at what he can do...No point in drafting goalies that high if you don't want to give them a shot until they are 25 years old. May as well just wait till they become UFA 2 years later. Kid is 22 years old, and has 1 year pro under his belt. Ice Freddy till the last month of the season, and try something different. What is there to lose? Freddy is posting a sub.900 for f*** sakes, this kid can't be much worse

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Do Canadians trust their news? I haven't done that in a very long time. This even has the weasel word in it - believed. Why would you put that in there unless you made it up? Either you confirmed he has a groin injury or you're guessing and feel the need to print it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m not unsympathetic when I hear this kind of news, cause you certainly feel bad for trashing up a guy fighting through pain to help the team.

But it raises more questions than it answers because he came back after a back to back shut out of the Oilers, and was pretty good in game 3 vs Edmonton.

Hutchinson wasn’t strong vs Vancouver, and was terrible vs Ottawa but why risk longer term injury to Fred and trashing the whole season by putting Andersen back into the Sens game?
Management panicking. Well get a goalie and don’t drive the guy in to the ground right. I agree 100%. The quality of play dropped but thats ok. The rest and practice days will get everyone back feeling it.
Article was a gooder.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Well good on Fred to battle and woe is us for having our starter and backup battling injuries. But is Freddy going to be healthy for the playoffs or not? It sucks that he's battling an injury, but we need someone who can make saves.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

We sucked on the PK as a team ever since Freddy has been here. That’s on the entirety of the unit for me. Need better penalty killers that can pressure the points better. The Leafs haven’t taken the point away or pressured on the PK for eons.
This news he’s injured just getting out now is late to the party. I can deal with knowing he’s struggling for a reason.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Groins are nagging injuries from what I know. I doubt playing will help. I’m glad the leafs have a few days off.
I kind of have a idea they are hard to deal with also. Painful is painful just for normal people. Try playing professional sports with that is my thought.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It’s mentioned in this article. I though something is up. Not another p!ssed off at him word coming from my posts. Jeezus rest the guy and give the net to Campbell was probably the plan all along. Anyways, first mention anywhere is in this article. Kind of wish we’d known right.
What’s wrong with the Maple Leafs? Nothing a healthy dose of Jack Campbell and Wayne Simmonds couldn’t help
Heads up FYI fans virtually every pro goalie has groin issues and so do most junior goalies too ... so da only issue is it torn which is sometimes very hard to figure out even with best of images ... most play though pain unless there is a tear or unless they can't handle pain ... otherwise we would not have any goalers playing pro net

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That helps to explain the most recent stretch of drop-off in his play, in my opinion at least. Makes Keefe's decision to give Hutch the quick hook two days ago in favour of a tired - and injured - Freddy a bit more puzzling too. The switch could have been partially to light a fire under the rest of the team, and it obviously ends up looking better had the end result worked out in their favour. To his credit, I thought that was one of Andersen's better efforts over his past few games.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Heads up FYI fans virtually every pro goalie has groin issues and so do most junior goalies too ... so da only issue is it torn which is sometimes very hard to figure out even with best of images ... most play though pain unless there is a tear or unless they can't handle pain ... otherwise we would not have any goalers playing pro net
I used to take Karate for the stretching and flexibility when i was playing multiple sports back in the day. It’s awesome for total body flexibility. I could do almost a full splits straight out sideways, complete full splits forward to back.Never had a muscle tear injury lower body. I took it for like 8 years. It’s great training for flex

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We sucked on the PK as a team ever since Freddy has been here. That’s on the entirety of the unit for me. Need better penalty killers that can pressure the points better. The Leafs haven’t taken the point away or pressured on the PK for eons.
This news he’s injured just getting out now is late to the party. I can deal with knowing he’s struggling for a reason.

I was wondering specifically about his SV% which this season has been abnormally low on the PK.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->