News Article: Freddy is playing through a Groin injury.. Updated reveals Knee injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Here’s the real question, he’s looked bad so far in the return (expected or not, it’s all we have to go on) so are we comfortable with him as the backup? I guess I’m wondering if they are now debating who backups, whether he is “healthy” or not? It’s a bit of a conundrum.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Here’s the real question, he’s looked bad so far in the return (expected or not, it’s all we have to go on) so are we comfortable with him as the backup? I guess I’m wondering if they are now debating who backups, whether he is “healthy” or not? It’s a bit of a conundrum.

I'd say this is accurate. Considering Andersen's been out of action for so long, I'd probably be leaning towards Rittich. Hopefully Campbell is able to play every game and we don't have to worry about it.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

The way I see it is Fred is probably at around 90% going to suck if he had to play in the playoffs with so few games to get back up to speed. Rittich is probably a 70% chance of sucking but also a 30% chance of going Big Save Dave for us if the universe is willing....

So you take your chances with Rittich at this point. He is used to sitting on the bench and coming in...Fred is not...he needs a lot of playing time to get up to speed (October Freddy comes to mind).

So, in saying that...I am not really confident in either of the backups to play well if needed ...and that is a crappy situation to be in.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The way I see it is Fred is probably at around 90% going to suck if he had to play in the playoffs with so few games to get back up to speed. Rittich is probably a 70% chance of sucking but also a 30% chance of going Big Save Dave for us if the universe is willing....

So you take your chances with Rittich at this point. He is used to sitting on the bench and coming in...Fred is not...he needs a lot of playing time to get up to speed (October Freddy comes to mind).

So, in saying that...I am not really confident in either of the backups to play well if needed ...and that is a crappy situation to be in.
That seems reasonable. I’d probably go with Rittich today as well, based on where Fred seems. I’m also not entirely confident but Campbell is the horse now anyways.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't think our situation is crappy at all considering in the playoffs you generally hope you don't need your backup to play anyway. Our situation was crappy 6 weeks ago or whatever when Campbell had hardly played and our goaltending was nothing but question marks. The way Campbell has played for a while now, I think the question mark next to his name is much smaller than it was and we can reasonably expect to get good goaltending in the playoffs. That makes me so freaking happy I can barely stand myself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The great thing about Campbell is his game went in the toilet for maybe two or three games over a 1 week stretch after the winning streak and he bounced right back. So even if he bombs somewhere along the way in the playoffs, you can throw Rittich in for a spell and Jack has the ability to bounce back and refocus.

I think people are used to seeing Andersen in net for the Leafs and have some preconceived notion that when we win he's in the net. Doesn't have to be the case. Just feels like forcing a square peg into a round hole.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I don't think our situation is crappy at all considering in the playoffs you generally hope you don't need your backup to play anyway. Our situation was crappy 6 weeks ago or whatever when Campbell had hardly played and our goaltending was nothing but question marks. The way Campbell has played for a while now, I think the question mark next to his name is much smaller than it was and we can reasonably expect to get good goaltending in the playoffs. That makes me so freaking happy I can barely stand myself.

I meant our backup situation is crappy...and it is crappy to not have a reliable backup like we did when we had Soupy sitting there. I know you are pretty much cooked for the most part if your starter goes down in the playoffs...but it would be nice to know we had someone fairly reliable with a 900%+ sitting back there to do the job in short spurts.

Like I said..with Rittich its a real roll of the dice...but there is a slim possibility that he comes in and goes all Hasek for us. With Fred I am under no illusion that he would do that in the playoffs. He is pretty much the last guy I would want to bring in cold because he would have the built in excuse ready for the press saying he was coming off injury and didn't have time to get game ready..blah blah. He is more likely to stink it up and blame something else other than himself ....he is not going to all of a sudden change his tune.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I meant our backup situation is crappy...and it is crappy to not have a reliable backup like we did when we had Soupy sitting there. I know you are pretty much cooked for the most part if your starter goes down in the playoffs...but it would be nice to know we had someone fairly reliable with a 900%+ sitting back there to do the job in short spurts.

Like I said..with Rittich its a real roll of the dice...but there is a slim possibility that he comes in and goes all Hasek for us. With Fred I am under no illusion that he would do that in the playoffs. He is pretty much the last guy I would want to bring in cold because he would have the built in excuse ready for the press saying he was coming off injury and didn't have time to get game ready..blah blah. He is more likely to stink it up and blame something else other than himself ....he is not going to all of a sudden change his tune.

I get what you're saying and I agree. I'm just so thrilled Campbell looks like the real deal that I'm not too worried about our backup situation. And whatever Andersen is or isn't, I think Rittich is a good quality backup.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
We have two games left. I say we play Rittich in one of them perhaps Hutchison in the other even. Give Campbell's injured area some rest. I would posit that area is his groin, like most goalies.

I would also suggest that we play Rittich if we are up two games to none in our first two series, and then again at 3-1.

Everyone else please. As far as Andersen goes, I think he should rest up over the summer, and work with his agent on getting paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad