Tribute Freddy Andersen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Should have had the 3rd one but the first two were just poor defense. Goals you’d love to see him stop but not ones you can fault him for.

If the Leafs scored the first goal, many would be saying it was a shot for a rebound anyone could have potted.

Perhaps just a good play by the attacking forward.

They happen.

3rd. one was just unforgivable.

He's making some very good saves, but he's letting in absolute stinkers.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
The rest of the season + possible playoffs will tell a lot about his future

In my opinion Leafs should look at other options after next season unless he improves a lot in the remaining of this season. You should also trade Nylander for some reinforcements in defense. Thats probably even more important. Otherwise this is going to be a neverending story no matter which goalie you have.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
As we continue to watch Andersen let in suspect goal after suspect goal, I have to wonder, now that we have a half-reasonably competent backup, if we need to re-evaluate his usage.

The top 10 defensive teams (in terms of GA/GP) in the league are listed in order below... with their goalies and the number of games played.

Boston - Rask 37 / Halak 29
Dallas - Bishop 41 / Khudobin 27
Columbus - Korpisalo 33 / Merzlikins 32
Arizona - Raanta 32 / Kuemper 26 / Hill 13
New York Islanders - Varlamov 41 / Greiss 28
Colorado - Grubauer 36 / Francouz 27
St. Louis - Binnington 47/Allen 21
Pittsburgh - Murray 33/Jarry 31
Tampa Bay - Vasilevsky 47 / McIlhenney 17
Carolina - Mrazek 39 / Reimer 25

Toronto - Andersen 49 / Hutchinson 15 / Campbell 4... and that's with Andersen being hurt at one point this season...

Of this group, only Vasilevsky and Binnington have played anywhere near as much as Andersen this year.... the numbers show that the most successful defensive teams get there using their backup goalie on very regular basis.

I suspect there's a few theories as to why -- maybe it's the rest. Maybe the teams play better in-front of both when they can't get accustomed to one guy always being there. I'm sure there are many more theories as well.

I get that they're trying to get Andersen to find his form. I get that they have an army of sports psychologists who probably think the way to do it is to show him confidence and that he is the #1 no matter what... but when you see the results night after night -- tonight's awful 3rd goal, poor rebound control, you've gotta wonder whether it makes sense to follow the pack.

The Leafs are 26th in GA/GP, averaging 3.26 goals against per game. There is only 1 other team in the bottom 10 that currently sits in a playoff spot -- the Nashville Predators who sit 23rd. It really can't go much worse, can it?

Real nice work.

A few years ago, before the Blue traded Elliot, (or however he left, I don't know) they were paying both Allen and Elliot almost the exact same - was it about 4.5 each, or maybe it was less, forget, but, that seems like a model worth striving for.

You would argue, but, you need that starter that's qualitatively that much better than the back-up, that's what is needed to win the cup. But, it's looking more and more like the era of that starter - consistent/reliable/elite (nearly)/non-injury prone - that's going to be that much better than a 1B goalie, (with few exceptions) that the model has to be questioned, is what I am saying.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Look at the second chart. The only area we've been bad in over the past 25 games is SV% and goals allowed

we're average in the defensive stuff, above-average in the offensive stuff

if we had just been getting average goaltending from Freddy we'd be in a much safer position

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All I can say is lets not throw the big rig under da bus. I was right at point though of saying we gotta pull him last night. But gotta trust Keefe. He is our coach. But happy as h*ll we got Campbell as a backup. Now if Keefe does pull him we got someone who can stem the tide.

Campbell needs some work though we can't throw him in like we played backups before. I would give him 2 games of next 4. Maybe Vancouver and LA. Freddy gets SJS and ANA. But guess Keefe will go Campbell only against LA or ANA.

Then Tampa and Boston to Freddy and NAS to Campbell.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He just looks like his head is somewhere else. Even after the 3rd goal yesterday there was that wraparound chance that should've been a fairly easy save that he almost botched as well. He's good for at least one stinker per game it seems, if not a couple. Definitely concerning.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He just looks like his head is somewhere else. Even after the 3rd goal yesterday there was that wraparound chance that should've been a fairly easy save that he almost botched as well. He's good for at least one stinker per game it seems, if not a couple. Definitely concerning.

That wrap-around, made me wonder if he isn't a very good skater.
When he gets out of the net a bit, he doesn't seem to glide back in and move around as easy as it seems he should.

Course, so many goalies are on their knees so much these days, that doesn't always help.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

That wraparound was really concerning, it should have been 4-1 if not for Florida screwing it up and that might've been game over.

I honestly believe Campbell gives us a better chance to win right now. But our best chance at a playoff run is Freddy getting his game back and it would be a huge story if Keefe sat him, so I understand if he keeps riding Freddy.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
That wraparound was really concerning, it should have been 4-1 if not for Florida screwing it up and that might've been game over.

I honestly believe Campbell gives us a better chance to win right now. But our best chance at a playoff run is Freddy getting his game back and it would be a huge story if Keefe sat him, so I understand if he keeps riding Freddy.
If the Leafs make the playoffs and Freddy completely shits the bed in the first 2 games, I would switch to Campbell. The leash should be short.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Would u try lehner to a decent contract and trade freddy for a somebody elses solid goalie prospect

Nothing suggests yet that Woll or Scott are stars in waiting. While Freddy might appeal to another club as part of a package for a D man he would also be attractive to a team that doesn't have the patience to wait for their own young goalie to develop. It would be nice to replace Kaski with someone younger and with a better upside.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena

That wraparound chance was so poorly played by Andersen that it was comedic.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He seems to be very unsure of himself. If Florida was any sharper they would have scored more. Freddy is good when he makes himself big in the net, the opposite of what he did on Acciari’s goal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That wraparound chance was so poorly played by Andersen that it was comedic.
For a professional NHL goalie, it almost looked to me that he was trying to let them score.

It also looked like a situation where this was the first time a hockey player tried strapping on the pads and playing goalie!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm worried for Freddy this year.

I like the big guy, but if this is the new norm I think the Leafs are looking for another solution in net next year.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Haven't seen a Leaf goalie lose his net so badly since Sparks. You could see him kind of freak when he went to slide to the other post but it was still 4 feet away.

did you forget that gem where Hutchinson spun around and fell down earlier this month?....I wish this wasn't so frequent

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like the Leafs are really committed to rebuilding Andersen’s confidence and mental focus given their lack of using Campbell to create a controversy. Interesting to see how this plays out.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I don't think he does well with extreme pressure. Think of all the big games we have had over the last year or 2 and he pretty much always comes up with a stinker except for a very rare non-stinker. Last year it was Tampa coming in and throttling us by putting 7 past him in a big game test. I can't recall all of them but he does tend to be soft in the biggest games. The fact they shut down FLA yesterday in the 2nd with allowing only 4 shots kept the game from getting out of reach. I don't believe in this guy and he can't be relied upon. I would rather try out Lehner on a 3yr 5M deal if he was willing.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
The rest of the season + possible playoffs will tell a lot about his future

No it wont. Leafs cap wont allow for any better goalie and its already 100% certain they will extend unless some miracle goalie pops up from outside the solar system. He will be extended and hes gonna be our guy for at least 3 more seasons. Anyone that think other wise are dumb.

His current contract was already undervalued when he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad