Jan 5, 2009
21st best defensive team in the league*
Carolina
9th in total goals against
11th in goals against per game
5th in penalty killing
2nd in shots against
2nd(tied) for most shutouts

But yes, Carolina is the 21st best defensive team in the league.

These could be interpreted as arguments that Andersen should play less. If so then I agree. Otherwise, there is no sugar-coating Andersen's poor play.
Reimer is the back up, not the starter so your argument makes no sense. Andersen isn't playing poorly because he's played too much, he's playing poorly because our team defense has been mediocre, and our defensive core has been depleted to crap and quite frankly, sometimes a player has poor form. This isn't anything new with Andersen .

Andersen has played 50 games
Hellebuyck has played 54 games
Vasilevskiy has played 48 games
Binnington has played 47 games
Rittch has played 47 games
Holtby has played 45 games.

That's just a small list of current playoff teams. And please, don't respond with this ridiculous logic that a goalie who plays less, wins a cup argument either. That's the most over exaggerated narrative because of this bubble we all live in. St.Louis didn't win the cup last year because Binnington played fewer games than Rask . And Pittsburgh didn't win their cups because Rinne and Jones played more games than Murray . This narrative that an elite level athlete and goalie can't handle playing 65 games needs to end. There's 16 games left, relax, Freddie isn't going to play them all

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Carolina
9th in total goals against
11th in goals against per game
5th in penalty killing
2nd in shots against
2nd(tied) for most shutouts

But yes, Carolina is the 21st best defensive team in the league.
Yes, they are good in some defensive metrics. Unfortunately, they are really bad at the most important one that impacts expected goals against; high danger chances against, where they are 23rd in the league. Also, while they don't give up many shots, they give up fairly close shots and a lot of rebounds.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Andersen is pacing for the worst season of any player in I don't know how long for the Leafs. The better metrics out there have him as the worst goaltender in the league this season, directly costing us wins.

Reactions: Beaumaris and Rogie

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I find it hilarious that people are actually referencing a team stat like wins to argue that a goaltender is doing good. He happens to be on a team that keeps winning on sheer insane offensive firepower. Let's give him all the credit.
and I find it hilarious that people actually ignore how playing a wide open offensive system would lead to poor goalie stats .

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The Leafs are coming off 3 consecutive great defensive performances and Freddy is still letting horrible softies in.
didn't catch the first period the other night but Freddy made a fair number of quality saves in the 2nd/3rd due to our shoddy D play

also on this board 98% of the goals we give up are termed soft while all our goals are impossible to stop snipes

and it always seems that unless we get out shot 50 to 12 it's almost never the goalie who gets credit and instead it's the team that played well defensively

Last edited:
Reactions: NikoEhlers

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
It doesn't matter to me whether Reimer is the starter, backup, or EBUG; all I did was post his GAA and Save percentage. Reimer's numbers seem to trigger a few of you to contort yourselves into a pretzel defending Andersen's play.

Honestly, I hope he plays better, but to deny that he has been woeful since November (weak sharp angle shots dribbling in, terrible post to post movement, inability to track the puck behind his net, tripping over his skates, a positional goalie who seems to be out of position far too often) is just ignoring his performance over that time. But cheerleaders have their place, so have at it. Let's blame Liljegren.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
This narrative that an elite level athlete and goalie can't handle playing 65 games needs to end.

And the postman on bicycle should win the Tour de France too.

Did You ever check Andersen's weight. How is that elite level. Athlete ... did you mean a sumo.

If Andersen's shoe size is 12 and you give him size 10, how does it help him.

Let me give you a hint. It's all about the playoffs but they already run him down.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
He looked great, played confidently and seemed to be a lot 'quieter' - SO, looking good Freddy - keep it up.
I think he might want to consider NOT wandering out too much, yes, stop hard shoot ins behind the net as necessary, but, get out, get the puck, play it, and get back in the net. NOTHING ELSE. This waiting for a defender to come towards him and passing off the boards or around or through the defender is ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY.

He can still fire the puck pretty good, he's capable of making good passes and clearing the zone, etc, above average imo, but, it gets him in trouble sometimes.

And, with Campbell's last performance, I think - for the moment - we are looking good between the pipes, and feel a bit relieved we are in pretty good shape again without backup concerns.

This is totally subjective and my opinion, but, Campbell seems like a good goalie mate to have, he'll push Freddy but he'll support him just as strongly, as, apparently, he's quite a raw raw guy and TEAM guy at the core.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It doesn't matter to me whether Reimer is the starter, backup, or EBUG; all I did was post his GAA and Save percentage. Reimer's numbers seem to trigger a few of you to contort yourselves into a pretzel defending Andersen's play.

Honestly, I hope he plays better, but to deny that he has been woeful since November (weak sharp angle shots dribbling in, terrible post to post movement, inability to track the puck behind his net, tripping over his skates, a positional goalie who seems to be out of position far too often) is just ignoring his performance over that time. But cheerleaders have their place, so have at it. Let's blame Liljegren.
I blame Larry Murphy and Dion Phaneuf!

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
4-0-1 in his last 5 starts with a 1.77 GAA and a .938 SV%.

I am starting to believe the Leafs fanbase have a lot of special people with a lot of rushed hot takes. :eek:.

That one overtime loss was also a shutout, too.

He had some brutal games right after returning from the neck injury. The bad Pittsburgh loss and the Ayres game, specifically. But he seems to have put them behind him. He's been super sharp lately.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Andersen's been very sharp lately. Gotta give him credit for being able to salvage his game as he looked like he was headed towards the goalie junkyard.

He was due.

I find his peaks vs valleys performances to be somewhat distressing, but right now i just want him to keep this level of play up through the summer....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad