Tribute Freddy Andersen

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If the Leafs scored the first goal, many would be saying it was a shot for a rebound anyone could have potted.

Perhaps just a good play by the attacking forward.

They happen.

3rd. one was just unforgivable.

He's making some very good saves, but he's letting in absolute stinkers.

He was also way out of position on one of the first two goals (massive over-commit to the shooter). And he almost gave up another one in the 2nd the way (should have been a goal actually). He was patently bad in that game. Campbell would be playing tonight if it was my call.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Look at the second chart. The only area we've been bad in over the past 25 games is SV% and goals allowed

we're average in the defensive stuff, above-average in the offensive stuff

if we had just been getting average goaltending from Freddy we'd be in a much safer position

That second chart might mean a high scoring game against the Canucks tonight. They are red in every defensive category, the Leafs are red in the goaltending categories. Might be a fun but frustrating game.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think Campbell is giving us a reason why Andersen looks bad.

Campbell is a very athletic goalie, Andersen is a smart positional goalie. Campbell can react to the unpredictable, Andersen needs to be able to predict the shots/chances against.

I think Keefe changing the defensive system mid-season may have been too much for Andersen to get used to on the fly. He needs to better understand how the defensemen are going to play each situation to position himself appropriately.

Campbell is just reacting to the chances without much thought which is why he has looked steady and had a much easier transition.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Look at the second chart. The only area we've been bad in over the past 25 games is SV% and goals allowed

we're average in the defensive stuff, above-average in the offensive stuff

if we had just been getting average goaltending from Freddy we'd be in a much safer position

In fact it shows we're actually slightly above average defensively in every stat but save percentage and goals against (either neutral or light blue). It's plain as day what the weak link is.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I think Campbell is giving us a reason why Andersen looks bad.

Campbell is a very athletic goalie, Andersen is a smart positional goalie. Campbell can react to the unpredictable, Andersen needs to be able to predict the shots/chances against.

I think Keefe changing the defensive system mid-season may have been too much for Andersen to get used to on the fly. He needs to better understand how the defensemen are going to play each situation to position himself appropriately.

Campbell is just reacting to the chances without much thought which is why he has looked steady and had a much easier transition.

Hmmm...that doesn't work for me. I greatly prefer a good positional goalie. I felt way calmer with Belfour than Cujo. It's also why I thought we had something with Bernier (so much for thinking).

Mar 26, 2010
It amazing me why Keefe keeps starting Andersen. Unreal.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He was also way out of position on one of the first two goals (massive over-commit to the shooter). And he almost gave up another one in the 2nd the way (should have been a goal actually). He was patently bad in that game. Campbell would be playing tonight if it was my call.

I like how you "takes" match you Avatar.

Will save me the time in future....thanks

Reactions: Luminiferous

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Andersen is in 3rd place for wins with 28 in this season. He probably breaks his own record for most wins in the season for Leafs goalie.

I blame Mirtle for this new "let's blame Freddy after every goal thing". Big portion of this fan base is just plain stupid and they believe everything what someone with a journalist tag says.

Reactions: qqaz

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
i didn't see the game tonight but one of the sports outlets said he allowed a goal on the first shot.

is that right? how many times is that now?

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
ER_I-mRWoAAEkqA.jpeg

Freddie has cost us 21 goals in excess of what average goaltending would have given up since 12/16.

The TML are a top 1-2 team... absent goaltending.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
i didn't see the game tonight but one of the sports outlets said he allowed a goal on the first shot.

Two goals on the first 3 shots IIRC. I dont blame him on goal one but goal two, he should have had. But again, that first goal/shot was some horrendous defensive play. What goalie stops that? Stop zeroing in on something so specific and look at what's actually happening on the ice.

Reactions: qqaz and NikoEhlers

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

They said on the broadcast that we've been scored on 10 times this season on the first shot against.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Andersen is in 3rd place for wins with 28 in this season. He probably breaks his own record for most wins in the season for Leafs goalie.

I blame Mirtle for this new "let's blame Freddy after every goal thing". Big portion of this fan base is just plain stupid and they believe everything what someone with a journalist tag says.
Yeah Andersen one of the best! Mayne he hard! FREEDY FREEDY FREEDY! Chants is verywhere and the streetz is really talkin. I'm hearing like: "I wanna be like Freddie!" :Why can't I be like Freddy?" Freddy's so hard..." Etc. Mayne the loving him and chanting him. They even dreaming bout being with him or like really being HIM. Man that go deep............ just think about it. Glad WE have him, not every other jelious sucka!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad