Tribute Freddy Andersen

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He was due.

I find his peaks vs valleys performances to be somewhat distressing, but right now i just want him to keep this level of play up through the summer....

Exactly. For all the talks of him being inconsistent, he's actually quite a consistent league average goalie .. He can go on stretches of high level play but then has month-long slumps. That's been his norm in his tenure as a Leaf. Just so happens this slump he was on was longer than his previous ones.

Let's hope he keeps rolling. Having him go on a run at this time of the year is critical if the Leafs are going to have any postseason success.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He was due.

I find his peaks vs valleys performances to be somewhat distressing, but right now i just want him to keep this level of play up through the summer....
Well thats what happens when you base his body of work game to game in your evaluations of him. Basing the body of work over a large sample size of his entire career with us indicates he is as elite a number 1 goalie as there has been in the league over that time.

You bring it on yourself i think. Personally i think he lost his cool when Keefe pulled him because it was different than he was used to and kind of took a sharp dive in his effectiveness and went right down the tubes. He lost his head there because he was really insulted i think. He gathered himself up and regrouped nicely last while.

Having Campbell around doesn’t hurt either. Hutch was such a drag on the team that there was no way players felt comfortable any time he went in. They had zero confidence in him likely and they were right.

Campbell is awesome to have around is my first impression and i bet he is really liked. So personable and competitive and confident. Great pick up for tne room no doubt

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Exactly. For all the talks of him being inconsistent, he's actually quite a consistent league average goalie .. He can go on stretches of high level play but then has month-long slumps. That's been his norm in his tenure as a Leaf. Just so happens this slump he was on was longer than his previous ones.

Let's hope he keeps rolling. Having him go on a run at this time of the year is critical if the Leafs are going to have any postseason success.
The goalie that has any long stretch of consistency and then drops off a edge has been happening even with the very best for so so long. I’m not the goalie type for sports i played, soccer or hockey, never wanted to catch playing baseball. I always wanted to be involved moving go go type.

I don’t have the slightest clue what makes a good goalie tick. They are on a island when things go bad. Its all on them. Sometimes its true. Sometimes not but always falls back on them because it shows in their actual record. Players don’t have a win/loss record beside their stats. Save % tells the goalie story even if its a win with a poor save %. Freddy is a solid 91.7% or 91.8% since coming. Thats good. He wins, sometimes loses focus and looks bad. Focus is a good goalie i suppose but technically freddy is elite, he’s efficient, calm ,cool. Most of all he never glares at his defense and is classy. I think he’s great.good guy.

I know he will be signed beyond this contract. They’d be nuts not to sign him

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
He will benefit greatly from a rest. Plus Tavares with his kid no longer a toddler. Could be a perfect storm for the leafs really

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great regular-season goalie but an average and a not so clutch playoff goalie, imo
Bottom line like it or not goalies are judged based on clutch performance in getting teams to playoffs and in da playoffs. Regular season stars who sh*t da bed in playoffs are never remembered. Freddy has a couple years to perform in playoffs or maybe 1 left with da virus. If he can't then his tenure in TO will be finished.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
:huh:
didn't catch the first period the other night but Freddy made a fair number of quality saves in the 2nd/3rd due to our shoddy D play

also on this board 98% of the goals we give up are termed soft while all our goals are impossible to stop snipes

and it always seems that unless we get out shot 50 to 12 it's almost never the goalie who gets credit and instead it's the team that played well defensively
A fair number of quality saves you say.
Isn’t that what he is paid to do:huh:
It’s the softies he lets in,that shows he is not to be trusted.He is definitely not elite.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Andersen seems to be taking a beating from Leaf fans these days. I am luke warm on him. He has the potential to be a goalie that can win a series or possibly steal a series. I know he had some off nights this season, but I think about some of the games he played this season where he was TOR's best player. I know he has something to prove this post-season, but I don't blame him for TOR's short comings this season. I am not ready to punt him out of town like some Leaf fans do. I was disappointed with his performance against BOS in last year's playoff. I am still giving him credit.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Andersen seems to be taking a beating from Leaf fans these days. I am luke warm on him. He has the potential to be a goalie that can win a series or possibly steal a series. I know he had some off nights this season, but I think about some of the games he played this season where he was TOR's best player. I know he has something to prove this post-season, but I don't blame him for TOR's short comings this season. I am not ready to punt him out of town like some Leaf fans do. I was disappointed with his performance against BOS in last year's playoff. I am still giving him credit.
If he wins us Cup this season then he is KING Freddy to me ...

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Need to go with Campbell.

After long breaks, Andersen is awful -- see October Andersen.

During playoffs, Andersen is awful -- see playoffs.

So now doing the playoffs after a long break, it's going to compound things.

Reactions: ToMaLe and 6ix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad