Tribute Freddy Andersen

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Does Andersen start against the Lightning on Tuesday or the Panthers on Thursday?

Personally I rather see Andersen play Tuesday because I don't want to see Campbell get thrown to the wolves against the Lightning. Plus if you forget the game when Andersen was injured against the Panthers, he allowed 4 goals against them the first time before he was pulled and they lost 8-4.

Andersen should never be played again.

Reactions: Earth Rocker

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Q: Why are the Leafs paying $5 million for a goalie when all the other team needs is a guy who can drive a Zamboni?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
In the game before he shut them out and then this.
It's not good to eat potato chips before a game, less salt and no glutamate can do wonders Freddie.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
you guys are getting all worked up over nothing. leafs management is way ahead of all of you.

a garbage goalie can only last so long and when his GAA continues to decline and the team continues to lose then if those in management want to keep their jobs then they have no other option other than to dismiss that goalie

garbage goalies can last for some time (Toskala, Reimer, Bernier, etc) but as we have all seen before there IS a limit. The limit is more than the average fan would like to see but alas, the limit is there. Andersen is approaching that limit.

If he makes it past trade deadline then he makes it to the end of the year. And if he still sucks at the end of the year then his status as a Leaf is absolutely in limbo.

Either way who cares. If he keeps sucking then whether it's sooner or whether it's later, this guy is gone, just like every other goalie before him and every other goalie in the league.

You guys keep whining and crying over this guy, but he is NO different than all of them before him - if he keeps sucking, then he is gone. It's just business. And yes he is just like all crap leaf goalies before him - no better or worse than any of our previous 7 or 8 tenders - all average bums who were eventually dispatched, and he's the next one on that list.

It's like crying that it's never going to rain again during a drought . Well guess what it IS going to rain again. You just have to wait.

So stop crying that Andersen has to be dismissed if he keeps sucking. Well guess what he WILL be dismissed if he keeps sucking. You just have to..... yes, wait.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So stop crying that Andersen has to be dismissed if he keeps sucking.
Not really.
This is a Win Now team. Andersen will only be gone if there is a better replacement (which is very very unlikely).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not really.
This is a Win Now team. Andersen will only be gone if there is a better replacement (which is very very unlikely).

There are actually quite a few goalies available this summer, depending on your personal preference for each one. Not Prime
Brodeur type goalies but at least in the same class as Andersen was thought to be at.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The team sucked and deserved to lose, but I don't think Andersen should get a pass for letting in more goals than the emergency backup. He's been brutal for a long time now and still is

Mar 26, 2010
Andersen, don't worry about being better. Just go away and never come back.
100%.

I have said it for years that Andersen is a terrible goalie!

Andersen literally got out-goaltended by a f***ing ZAMBONII driver! It is not just that game...it is every game! The annoying part of it, is that he never takes accountability for his trash play. It is always everyone elses fault. Like f*** off you scrub.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Andersen has faced more rubber than any goalie since we have acquired him. He has not been very good this year but our team has played like dog$#it for most of the year.

It may be time to move on but unless we address our D our team is going nowhere and it’s not because of Andersen.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Mar 26, 2010
To Carolina for our 1st back.
Carolina won’t give Toronto their 1st back for Andersen.

I mean, why would they? Both Reimer and Mrazek are better than Andersen.

also, Toronto’s 1st will be in the 10-15 range.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Should have had the 3rd one but the first two were just poor defense. Goals you’d love to see him stop but not ones you can fault him for.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Could have had better rebound control I thought.
3rd goal was scary. It’s really hard for me to see Andersen being a goalie you can win with.
Yeah, I guess you play the shooter and expect your guys to tie up a stick.

I tend to agree, though. I’ve had faith until this year... He can be unconscious at times, but it’s those softies that always come back to bite you... Luckily that 3rd goal didn’t even up costing them because in such an important game, he’s gotta have those ones.

Reactions: ACC1224

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
As we continue to watch Andersen let in suspect goal after suspect goal, I have to wonder, now that we have a half-reasonably competent backup, if we need to re-evaluate his usage.

The top 10 defensive teams (in terms of GA/GP) in the league are listed in order below... with their goalies and the number of games played.

Boston - Rask 37 / Halak 29
Dallas - Bishop 41 / Khudobin 27
Columbus - Korpisalo 33 / Merzlikins 32
Arizona - Raanta 32 / Kuemper 26 / Hill 13
New York Islanders - Varlamov 41 / Greiss 28
Colorado - Grubauer 36 / Francouz 27
St. Louis - Binnington 47/Allen 21
Pittsburgh - Murray 33/Jarry 31
Tampa Bay - Vasilevsky 47 / McIlhenney 17
Carolina - Mrazek 39 / Reimer 25

Toronto - Andersen 49 / Hutchinson 15 / Campbell 4... and that's with Andersen being hurt at one point this season...

Of this group, only Vasilevsky and Binnington have played anywhere near as much as Andersen this year.... the numbers show that the most successful defensive teams get there using their backup goalie on very regular basis.

I suspect there's a few theories as to why -- maybe it's the rest. Maybe the teams play better in-front of both when they can't get accustomed to one guy always being there. I'm sure there are many more theories as well.

I get that they're trying to get Andersen to find his form. I get that they have an army of sports psychologists who probably think the way to do it is to show him confidence and that he is the #1 no matter what... but when you see the results night after night -- tonight's awful 3rd goal, poor rebound control, you've gotta wonder whether it makes sense to follow the pack.

The Leafs are 26th in GA/GP, averaging 3.26 goals against per game. There is only 1 other team in the bottom 10 that currently sits in a playoff spot -- the Nashville Predators who sit 23rd. It really can't go much worse, can it?

Reactions: draeko17 and Rogie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad