Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
It would be a bad deal for the Islanders. It hurts the team short term and long term. The defense would have a hard time competing till Dobson could take the reigns. Im not convinced Laine could fit into any of our forward schemes. The Islander also could not afford Laine cap wise. Its just not a good deal.

If there was a deal to be made I think it would have to be for Ehlers not Laine. Something like Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Eberle/Bailey. Pionk could attempt to hold down a spot till Dobson can take it. Ehlers fits into our top 6. Peg gets its local boy top pairing D man and Bailey/Eberle can replace some of what Ehlers did.

I guess I would be making that trade on the assumption that Dobson plays a full year test year - seems like a reasonable step from playing 30 or so this year. I think Laine would fit pretty well on the PP and with Barzal. Or put him on a line with Pageau so teams can't just key down on the top line. We don't have a sniper, he's an elite sniper and we have a surplus of RD. On second thought I'm not sure we add something as big as Wahlstrom but I'd rather pay Laine than Pulock for sure

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Laine for Nylander & Sandin

Fews issues I see with that idea, not even discussing values.

- AM is by far a shooter/goal scorer.

- JT is a goal scorer

- JT, AM and Marner all have huge cap hits.

- You can only have so many big goal scorers, Leafs have one on each of their top two lines.......there isn't enough pucks to go around for another big goal scorer IMO.

- Laine is due for a big raise in one year (likely 8.5 - 9.5 range), due to be one of the best young goal scorers......I just can't see the Leafs wanting that much cap wrapped up in so few players.

I just see it as a bad fit for the Leafs.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Nurse and Evan Bouchard and 14th for Laine 10th?
Regardless of value, this does quite the opposite of addressing one the Oilers biggest ongoing needs. If they’re trading defence, it better be to upgrade the blue line. Currently I don’t see a reason for them moving Bouchard unless it’s to help land a big fish on D.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I guess I would be making that trade on the assumption that Dobson plays a full year test year - seems like a reasonable step from playing 30 or so this year. I think Laine would fit pretty well on the PP and with Barzal. Or put him on a line with Pageau so teams can't just key down on the top line. We don't have a sniper, he's an elite sniper and we have a surplus of RD. On second thought I'm not sure we add something as big as Wahlstrom but I'd rather pay Laine than Pulock for sure

Laine - Barzal - Beauvillier
Lee - Nelson - Wahlstrom

I like thyat....

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If NHL players didn't have contracts, it might be okay, but RNH and Nurse are heading to UFA soon, and that's a big drag on their value to the Jets.
Laine is a coming RFA, and his demands for a new contract are likely very high. So there are questions of further contract status for all three players. In the now, imo, I think this trade would improve the Jets, but not the Oilers.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Laine is a coming RFA, and his demands for a new contract are likely very high. So there are questions of further contract status for all three players. In the now, imo, I think this trade would improve the Jets, but not the Oilers.
There's a huge difference between RFA and UFA which you seem to want to ignore.

Reactions: Pongs21 and Spazkat

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Actually I kind like this and seem fair and can be a win-win for both teams. Under Trotz, maybe Pionk can learn to play defense better and become a good 2 way D.

Both Ebs and Pulock are from the prairies by the way so they would probably love the trade.

The prairies get a bad rap but I don't think there are many people making a few million dollars a year who would "love" moving from New York City to the Canadian prairies.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
RFA and all these guesses of exorbitant contract demands are not the same as UFA.

Reactions: Snowman

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
Fews issues I see with that idea, not even discussing values.

- AM is by far a shooter/goal scorer.

- JT is a goal scorer

- JT, AM and Marner all have huge cap hits.

- You can only have so many big goal scorers, Leafs have one on each of their top two lines.......there isn't enough pucks to go around for another big goal scorer IMO.

- Laine is due for a big raise in one year (likely 8.5 - 9.5 range), due to be one of the best young goal scorers......I just can't see the Leafs wanting that much cap wrapped up in so few players.

I just see it as a bad fit for the Leafs.

You're right. Was thinking that Laine wouldn't get that much more money than Nylander to not be able to make it fit and that leafs have 2 great centers, so Laine would have what he wants in that sense.

But Matthews & Tavares are indeed both shooters/goalscorers first. Laine & Marner would be awesome though! Marner is probably the perfect linemate for him.

For the Jets, the needs are 2 c & top4 d. Nylander could take the 2c role behind Scheifele and the jets get a promising d in Sandin.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Laine is not a line driving winger so if he does get traded the team trading for him better have a playmaking center that defers to him. The PP needs to be set-up that way as well. Someone that can give him good, hard passes right in his wheelhouse. Very little if any PK or defensive responsibility as well.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Laine would be perfect on Isles team, just what the doctor would have ordered for them. They need a forward who can score and one time it consistently from the slot. Isles have enough passers and playmakers they need more players with a shoot-first mentality and a go-to guy on PP unit #1. The only thing I may worry about is the cap. Only Beau and Nelson have that shooter mentality so definitely they can use Laine. Who cares if he is a bit slow and not so good defensively as they can find players who can do that. Maybe Isles can send both Bellows and Pulock going the other way with Jets balanced out with a 2020 pick going to Isles as Isles do not have that many picks in 2020. I can see a win-win for both teams here. Jets get a big improvement on defense in Pulock and the Isles gets the go-to guy on PP and some timely goals. Let Dobson take the next step and maybe Mayfield can take on more D roles. Just make sure that Laine does not bring his video game habit with him to the Isles.

Do it Lou:
Beau-Barzal-Laine
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Brassard-JGP-Ebs
4th line (who may resign or not get traded to freeing up cap)

Pelech-Mayfield (switch with Dobson in 2nd half)
Toews-Dobson
Greene/Leddy-JB

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
There's a huge difference between RFA and UFA which you seem to want to ignore.
RNH can be signed long term now, so something could be negotiated prior to the trade. Nurse is 2 years away so you have some time to get him signed. I think you are also missing the part where that RFA May cost 10 plus million so signing him may be problematic in the Covid world.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
RNH can be signed long term now, so something could be negotiated prior to the trade. Nurse is 2 years away so you have some time to get him signed. I think you are also missing the part where that RFA May cost 10 plus million so signing him may be problematic in the Covid world.
Again with this may cost 10 mil, sure maybe. RNH may cost 8.5m. That’s a lot for a 2C in the COVID world.

Reactions: Snowman

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Laine would be perfect on Isles team, just what the doctor would have ordered for them. They need a forward who can score and one time it consistently from the slot. Isles have enough passers and playmakers they need more players with a shoot-first mentality and a go-to guy on PP unit #1. The only thing I may worry about is the cap. Only Beau and Nelson have that shooter mentality so definitely they can use Laine. Who cares if he is a bit slow and not so good defensively as they can find players who can do that. Maybe Isles can send both Bellows and Pulock going the other way with Jets balanced out with a 2020 pick going to Isles as Isles do not have that many picks in 2020. I can see a win-win for both teams here. Jets get a big improvement on defense in Pulock and the Isles gets the go-to guy on PP and some timely goals. Let Dobson take the next step and maybe Mayfield can take on more D roles. Just make sure that Laine does not bring his video game habit with him to the Isles.

Do it Lou:
Beau-Barzal-Laine
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Brassard-JGP-Ebs
4th line (who may resign or not get traded to freeing up cap)

Pelech-Mayfield (switch with Dobson in 2nd half)
Toews-Dobson
Greene/Leddy-JB
Beside a Barzal,yeah that would be just the tonic....A 100% better option than Eberle,the problem is how can they do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia