Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
A star player doesn't need the coach to perform. Laine played with Scheifele for the most part, and on the #1 PP. He had the 6th most ice time of all RWs in the league. Oh, and Connor managed to score 38 goals last season with Maurice as his coach.

Laine has had remarkable success as a scorer under Maurice in his first 4 seasons, starting at age 18.

Ok. Forget Laine.

How about firing PoMo because he has a ceiling as a coach? And he can't get it done? Not to mention the fact he's been there for like seven years.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
There are reports he wants Marner money.
No reports existed..... Laine camp demanding that amount.
After year 2 his demand was playing more minutes.
He is getting more minutes now, in return for him to round out his 2 way game.
And he produced 28+35 =63 points in 68 games shorten season.....
And he will be only 22 years old next season.
If Heinola/Samberg or Vesalainen dont make the team. He will still be the youngest roster player in the Jets lineup...
He will actually be almost same age as Samberg who was drafted in 2017.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Both players will be very expensive,to trade for...Ehlers has a ton a value,with cost certainty along with being a very good player...Laine is a superstar sniper in the making,but has some huge dollars coming his way shortly...I dont think they end up moving both,but maybe one

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Does not Aho has a lot of chemistry with Laine plus they probably are good friends? Maybe Carolina moves one of their top 3 D for him as they are loaded with talented D and definitely Winnipeg needs a top 3 D coming back plus another good bottom 6 forward for him.

I surely do not want to see that happen though being an Isles fan.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Does not Aho has a lot of chemistry with Laine plus they probably are good friends? Maybe Carolina moves one of their top 3 D for him as they are loaded with talented D and definitely Winnipeg needs a top 3 D coming back plus another good bottom 6 forward for him.

I surely do not want to see that happen though being an Isles fan.

The issue with Carolina is as has been said many times is that Pesce is the only RD with term, Hamilton is UFA and they have Svec contract coming up.

So it should be a deal around Dman not names Slavin/Pesce if it was Carolina

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
The issue with Carolina is as has been said many times is that Pesce is the only RD with term, Hamilton is UFA and they have Svec contract coming up.

So it should be a deal around Dman not names Slavin/Pesce if it was Carolina
Then it would be a deal around players not named Laine/Ehlers

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Laine's value is hurt by his demands to be a 10-11 million dollar player. If the Jets are not sure they want to pay that much, why on earth would other GM's? And worse, pay a kings ransom to acquire him?

In fact, in a flat cap world, it may drag down his value more then it should. Down to Domi plus a first. Is it fair? Not to a Jets fan, but from a Hab's fan perspective, that is a HUGE contract and I'm not sure we are getting a 50 goal Laine or a 30 goal Laine.

What is this?! Did you somehow mixed Laine to someone else

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Probably an improvement if he favors the right players.

Well, I doubt he would be favoring a player like Laine. I just find this take interesting. Some Jets fans complain that Maurice plays favorites with guys like Scheifele and Wheeler but they are looking for the same approach with their favorite players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whileee

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
That's true, I often forget NYI will be up against the cap. They may need to shed another salary too.
I think it would end up being something like Pulock, Wahlstrom, and maybe another smaller add. I think something with cap and value(Pulock) would have to be going back, especially if Laine is looking for a big raise.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pulock but I shoot him into the sun for Laine. If Pulock +Wahlstrom gets it done I think you gotta make that deal

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Don't get me wrong, I love Pulock but I shoot him into the sun for Laine. If Pulock +Wahlstrom gets it done I think you gotta make that deal
It would be a bad deal for the Islanders. It hurts the team short term and long term. The defense would have a hard time competing till Dobson could take the reigns. Im not convinced Laine could fit into any of our forward schemes. The Islander also could not afford Laine cap wise. Its just not a good deal.

If there was a deal to be made I think it would have to be for Ehlers not Laine. Something like Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Eberle/Bailey. Pionk could attempt to hold down a spot till Dobson can take it. Ehlers fits into our top 6. Peg gets its local boy top pairing D man and Bailey/Eberle can replace some of what Ehlers did.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It would be a bad deal for the Islanders. It hurts the team short term and long term. The defense would have a hard time competing till Dobson could take the reigns. Im not convinced Laine could fit into any of our forward schemes. The Islander also could not afford Laine cap wise. Its just not a good deal.

If there was a deal to be made I think it would have to be for Ehlers not Laine. Something like Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Eberle/Bailey. Pionk could attempt to hold down a spot till Dobson can take it. Ehlers fits into our top 6. Peg gets its local boy top pairing D man and Bailey/Eberle can replace some of what Ehlers did.

Dobson's already gotten pretty decent experience. I think you can shift it up a bit to start, like Pelech-Mayfield; Toews-Dobson as your top-4 until you're convinced Dobson's ready to jump onto the top pairing.

Overall though I don't think the idea of dealing Pulock is as bad as some think. While good, he clearly benefits from playing with Pelech. He's probably more of a #3 type, and dealing him could not only get us a legit 1st line scorer for Barzal, but it'll also allow us to protect Mayfield and his $1.45M contract.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Actually I kind like this and seem fair and can be a win-win for both teams. Under Trotz, maybe Pionk can learn to play defense better and become a good 2 way D.

Both Ebs and Pulock are from the prairies by the way so they would probably love the trade.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Exactly. How do you know what you have until you get a real coach? What if he is traded as if he has 75 pt value and he becomes a 100+ point player on another team for the next 10 years.
Laine had the same C (Scheifele) and better PP opportunities than Kyle Connor last season but nobody ever says Maurice's coaching was holding Connor back (he was on pace for 44 goals and 85 points). Strange.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
the return for laine would have to fill the team's need.

a proven #2 centre younger than shief and a top 4 d that will clear the net.

i do not believe a trade is going to happen at the present time, unless that exact type of trade is made.

if there is 1 thing chevy has proven is that he is a patient man.

i can see the season starting and trying to fill the positions in-house.

there is the available cash to give laine a decent raise, if need be.

i do not see any major trades for the jets till the deadline.

too patient tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad