Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
How is that trolling? An OTT fan said he'd be willing to trade 5 OA for Ehlers. A WPG fan replies that the 5th won't do much. Danault > Ehlers. Sure, Ehlers puts up more goals and about 10 points more per season, but Danault is one of the best shutdown centers in the league and is a center (he would be your 2C). So where's the trolling? Derek Stepan got a similar return, and he wasn't as good as Danault.
How is it not trolling Danault is a 3C on a contending team and is 40-50Pt C good defensively not much offence and we’re giving up Ehlers? :huh:

Reactions: Snowman and Nedarb

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
How is it not trolling Danault is a 3C on a contending team and is 40-50Pt C good defensively not much offence and we’re giving up Ehlers? :huh:
In the past 2 seasons, he was our 1C and was on pace for 54 points both seasons. And he isn't just good defensively, he's among the very best. And he drives the offense - as you can see he's only 10 points away from Ehlers. You need to read up the definition of trolling. If there's any trolling on this thread, it's one of WPG's posters asking for Danault + 1st ++ for Roslovic. You're not getting Danault+ for Ehlers. If anything, it's a 1:1 deal or you guys have to add a bit. Danault is worth more to any contending team than Ehlers. Don't believe it? Make a poll.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Oh that is indeed what he meant. Are you familiar with this poster? He posts ridiculous things to get a reaction because he's angry other fanbases don't value WPG players the way he hoes. Now that his post served its intended purpose, he will swoop in and claim he didn't mean that.

As for Danault, if WPG wanted to make a package offer for him involving Roslovic, the starting point would be Roslovic+1st+prospect.
I guess we’re all overvaluing everyone then.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
In the past 2 seasons, he was our 1C and was on pace for 54 points both seasons. And he isn't just good defensively, he's among the very best. And he drives the offense - as you can see he's only 10 points away from Ehlers. You need to read up the definition of trolling. If there's any trolling on this thread, it's one of WPG's posters asking for Danault + 1st ++ for Roslovic. You're not getting Danault+ for Ehlers. If anything, it's a 1:1 deal or you guys have to add a bit. Danault is worth more to any contending team than Ehlers. Don't believe it? Make a poll.
If your 1C is getting 54 points that’s an issue

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How is that trolling? An OTT fan said he'd be willing to trade 5 OA for Ehlers. A WPG fan replies that the 5th won't do much. Danault > Ehlers. Sure, Ehlers puts up more goals and about 10 points more per season (while not doing much in the playoffs - where it matters most), but Danault is one of the best shutdown centers in the league (he completely shutdown the Crosby and Couturier lines with ease) and is a center (he would be your 2C). So where's the trolling? Derek Stepan got a similar return, and he wasn't as good as Danault. You are waaaaay overvaluing Ehlers. This isn't Laine we're talking about. It's Ehlers..

Stepan had 4 years of term left at the time of the trade. Danault is a UFA next Summer. That difference is massive.

The same logic applies to Ehlers too.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
We had bad centers. Domi should have been our 1C last season but was instead gifted offensive blackhole linemates. Now Domi wants completely out of MTL and with reason. Suzuki is going to be our 1C going forward. Danault our 2C and Kotka our 3C for the time being.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Stepan had 4 years of term left at the time of the trade. Danault is a UFA next Summer. That difference is massive.

The same logic applies to Ehlers too.
That's true. I forgot about the UFA in 1 season. That said, I don't see the Habs trading Danault without at least letting the other team negotiate his next deal (a-la-Pacioretty), otherwise they won't get anywhere near as much as they could get for him.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Is there a deal to be had around Ehlers and Copp for Ristolainen, Montour, Miller, Mittelstadt, Tage Thompson, D prospects (Borgen, Johnson, Samuelsson), picks, etc. ?

Before you say those D-men are crap, keep in mind Montour was very highly thought of and was traded for a 1st round pick and a B-level prospect (Brandon Ghule) and that virtually every player that leaves Buffalo ends up looking like the player they should be (O'Reily, Kane, Lehner, Bogosion, etc.)

Montour was used on his off-hand last season with rotating D-partners cause our inept GM Botterill overloaded the roster with Right handed D-men.

I have no doubt that Risto, Montour, Miller, or anyone else that's traded out of Buffalo ends up looking like a star...

Anyway, untouchables are Eichel, Dahlin, and Cozens.
I'd definitely have some interest in a Copp for Risto trade that some Sabre fans seemed down with. I want no part of Ehlers or Laine to be traded. We have cap space and could very well find ourselves to take advantage of teams who need to shed salary and or possibly vulnerable to offer sheets, or even RFA's not being qualified that the Jet's might be interested in. Unless Laine is looking for 10M + or demanding a trade out and refusing to come back once he hits RFA, then you lock him down long term. And IF we were going to trade Laine, I'd prefer to see what kind of season he puts together next year before pulling any kind of trigger since I feel he has a monster season next year

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Will do thank you for the thoughtful insight btw if your 1C is getting 50pts a season he shouldn’t be your number 1C

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Habs placement in the standings suggests otherwise.

Can you name me a team that was successful with a 50pt #1C?

Of the list of problems Montreal has had, having *-Danault-Gallagher as its first line is near the bottom. And the numbers back that up.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
How is that trolling? An OTT fan said he'd be willing to trade 5 OA for Ehlers. A WPG fan replies that the 5th won't do much. Danault > Ehlers. Sure, Ehlers puts up more goals and about 10 points more per season (while not doing much in the playoffs - where it matters most), but Danault is one of the best shutdown centers in the league (he completely shutdown the Crosby and Couturier lines with ease) and is a center (he would be your 2C). So where's the trolling? Derek Stepan got a similar return, and he wasn't as good as Danault. You are waaaaay overvaluing Ehlers. This isn't Laine we're talking about. It's Ehlers..

I'd rather keep Ehlers with his age,contract, and upside, and look to fill the centre spot another way than move him for Danault. Nothing against Danault though.

Oh that is indeed what he meant. Are you familiar with this poster? He posts ridiculous things to get a reaction because he's angry other fanbases don't value WPG players the way he hoes. Now that his post served its intended purpose, he will swoop in and claim he didn't mean that.

As for Danault, if WPG wanted to make a package offer for him involving Roslovic, the starting point would be Roslovic+1st+prospect.

So for Danault, a 27 year old below average offensive 2C and soon to be UFA, the price is a roster player, a 1st, and a prospect, but for Laine, a 22 year old elite goal scorer likely entering his prime, the price is a roster player, a 1st, and a prospect?

Yes, Domi is worth more than Roslovic, but if that's what you are looking for for Danault, it would cost much more for Laine.

Reactions: Snowman

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Will do thank you for the thoughtful insight btw if your 1C is getting 50pts a season he shouldn’t be your number 1C

You notice there's always excuses coming from that one or the other notorious MON fan in here?

Imagine if they had a legit #1C who got 70+ pts on a regular basis, what the ask would be?

Danault or Domi somehow have top 10 pick value by some.
Well Barkov must have two or three top 5 picks value then with two years left, averaging 27 goals and 70pts over a 82 game average.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'd rather keep Ehlers with his age,contract, and upside, and look to fill the centre spot another way than move him for Danault. Nothing against Danault though.

So for Danault, a 27 year old below average offensive 2C and soon to be UFA, the price is a roster player, a 1st, and a prospect, but for Laine, a 22 year old elite goal scorer likely entering his prime, the price is a roster player, a 1st, and a prospect?

Yes, Domi is worth more than Roslovic, but if that's what you are looking for for Danault, it would cost much more for Laine.
Roslovic and Danault are quite different in calibre, as far as roster players go, in case you didn't notice. An elite defensive 2 way center, a 1st, and a prospect is a good package for Laine, a one-dimensional goal scoring winger. Pacioretty returned a roster player, a prospect, and a 2nd. It's debatable as to whether Laine is better than Pacioretty, but he is younger, so the pick is upgraded to a 1st.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Habs fans should remember they wouldn’t be the only one in on Laine, there are many teams with assets who would want him just as bad as you do.
Are they also gonna fight us for pages and pages if we tell them that a pile of garbage smells funny? Cos that's been fun.

Reactions: Snowman and Nedarb

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Roslovic and Danault are quite different in calibre, as far as roster players go, in case you didn't notice. An elite defensive 2 way center, a 1st, and a prospect is a good package for Laine, a one-dimensional goal scoring winger. Pacioretty returned a roster player, a prospect, and a 2nd. It's debatable as to whether Laine is better than Pacioretty, but he is younger, so the pick is upgraded to a 1st.

I did notice, but the difference is that Laine is much more valuable than Danault. The "ask" for Danault is either much too high, or Laine's is much too low.

Reactions: Snowman

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't know what that has to do with anything, but Jersey in 2012 - Adam Henrique. I'm sure there are more.
NYR in 2014 - Derek Stepan
Calgary in 2004 - Craig Conroy
Jersey in 2003 - Scott Gomez
Anaheim in 2003 - Petr Sykora
Buffalo in 1999 - Mike Peca

There's probably still more, but you should get the point now. How'd that workout for you @nbwingsfan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad