Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No I’m legitimately asking, who called him a 40 pt guy cause you’re now making accusations that are completely untrue and that’s not coming here for “hockey talk”

Don't remember but there were some posters who said just a 40-50 pts guy. I'm not making that up. Might be another thread cause this is not the first one. Those posters have disappeared cause I think they focused on flaming style posts instead of engaging on a conversation.

How would you feel if I adjusted the trade values? I feel like the gap is similar in base and ceiling for both of these guys. Laine worth more yes. It's a decent gap but not a tremendous one. I strongly feel Caufield brides any gap between these two

Laine has 70 pts and 40 goals in trade value
* Career stats are 66 pts and 37 goals after 4 seasons

Domi has 60 pts and 25 goals in trade value
* Career stats are 55 pts and 18 goals after 5 seasons

vs

Laine has 75 pts and 45 goals in trade value

Domi has 65 pts and 30 goals in trade value

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Don't remember but there were some posters who said just a 40-50 pts guy. I'm not making that up. Might be another thread cause this is not the first one. Those posters have disappeared cause I think they focused on flaming style posts instead of engaging on a conversation.

How would you feel if I adjusted the trade values? I feel like the gap is similar in base and ceiling for both of these guys. Laine worth more yes. It's a decent gap but not a tremendous one. I strongly feel Caufield brides any gap between these two

vs

So you’re upset about something some mysterious poster that has disappeared said in another thread and are ruining this one because of it? You think it’s reasonable to adjust Laines to something he was pacing for in every season but 1 and he’s 22 and adjust Domi’s to something that he has only been on pace for once and he’s 25?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am providing you something. Outlier seasons based on shooting percentages that are completely unsustainable, but your going to go by your blanket statement averages that think Domi will improve even more than his average and ignore everything else?

I would agree with Domi's 72 pts season with 28 goals as a fluke if he played with our best wingers and a stacked PP but that's not the reality of his age 23 season. It was with Shaw full time and Drouin 50% of the time with other wingers like Lehkonen and Byron. 15% of his pts came on the PP which is low. This does not reveal a fluke cause he played with good talent.

Julien talked about Domi's shots in his 2nd season in his end of season press conference actually. They told Domi they wanted him to shoot more in his 1st season and felt like he took a step back in his 2nd season. Julien said he felt Domi wants to pass too much. Interesting that you brought up unsustainable shooting % so I think this info is something you were not aware of.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you think it’s reasonable to adjust Laines to something he was pacing for in every season but 1 and he’s 22 and adjust Domi’s to something that he has only been on pace for once and he’s 25?

We can beat each other up on their trade values (independently) but at the end of the day... Laine > Domi but Caufield addressed the gap. In order for me to move off that, I would have to see another season from all 3 of these guys. Today? I stand firm

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I would agree with Domi's 72 pts season with 28 goals as a fluke if he played with our best wingers and a stacked PP but that's not the reality of his age 23 season. It was with Shaw full time and Drouin 50% of the time with other wingers like Lehkonen and Byron. 15% of his pts came on the PP which is low.

Julien talked about Domi's shots in his 2nd season in his end of season press conference actually. They told Domi they wanted him to shoot more in his 1st season and felt like he took a step back in his 2nd season. Julien said he felt Domi wants to pass too much. Interesting that you brought up unsustainable shooting % so I think this info is something you were not aware of.
What does Juliens thoughts on Domi’s shot have to do with a player jumping from 8% to 14% and calling it normal?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
We can beat each other up on their trade values (independently) but at the end of the day... Laine > Domi but Caufield addressed the gap. In order for me to move off that, I would have to see another season from all 3 of these guys. Today? I stand firm
Again ignoring the actual conversation that you say you keep asking for just to repeat yourself.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Going to back up Jets fans on this one... Ehlers staying with the Jets makes sense. He's a value contract and the Jets like that very much
I agree he holds good value to the Jets that’s why I’m offering a very valuable asset in the 5th overall pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree he holds good value to the Jets that’s why I’m offering a very valuable asset in the 5th overall pick.

Jets want to win now though. Who at 5th OA helps them win now? Perfetti, Raymond, Rossi, Sanderson, Holtz, Quinn? Basically you are asking them to trade Ehlers who is entering his prime on a value contract for a chance at getting another Ehlers in 2+ years?

All this does is save them cap space but takes away their top 6 talent. Are they interested in that? Not so sure. I think Ehlers is not being shopped. Laine might be cause they might be worried about his contract demands. Laine can get them a center like Domi and a prospect like Caufield IMO.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
What!! Have you actually seen him play!? Have you seen his numbers against the leagues best centers!!? If Danault is not good enough to be the Jetts nr 2C let me know ho yoy thin kcould do a better job?

Necas has way more offensive upside, but defensively he is not ready yet IMHO. Danault would be a much better trade then Domi.
I don't mind Danault, but it would depend on the cost and if he would extend and definitely not for Laine.

You have to consider though that many Jet fans consider Bryan Little who has averaged 51 points a season, a bad 2C option even if fully healthy.

Yet, somehow Danault who has averaged 42 points a season playing 1C in Montreal with all the prime ice time is the perfect 2C.

I don't think Danault is a magic bullet that will fix everything. While good defensively, he's only meh offensively.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't mind Danault, but it would depend on the cost and if he would extend and definitely not for Laine.

You have to consider though that many Jet fans consider Bryan Little who has averaged 51 points a season, a bad 2C option even if fully healthy.

Yet, somehow Danault who has averaged 42 points a season playing 1C in Montreal with all the prime ice time is the perfect 2C.

I don't think Danault is a magic bullet that will fix everything. While good defensively, he's only meh offensively.
I don’t mind Littles 50 some odd points. I just think he’s shown to not mesh with any of our wingers outside of wheeler.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I do think Danault would be a great fit behind Scheifele if you have wingers like Tatar and Gallagher for him to play with. They are one of the best if not the best 5/5 lines in the last two years. Habs put them up against all other top lines and they have some of the best corsi numbers in the NHL (5/5).

Danault with wingers like Tatar and Gallagher is about 50 pts. Without Tatar and Gallagher and in a 3C role? Forget about it... he will be asking for 2C money in contract negotiations.

Also, Danault has a very low probability of being traded. Same with Ehlers with you guys

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016

He's averaged 54 points these last 2 seasons as 1C (if we go by 82 games per season). Before that, he was our 3C. Also, Danault isn't just "good" defensively. He's one of the very best shutdown centers. Look at how the Pens and Flyers top lines fared against him...

Also, who do you have in mind to trade for Danault?

Last edited:
Reactions: Easternbull

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
And the Jet's haven't had a young elite finnish sniper since Selanne or a top 2 draft pick who's been nothing but fantasic since Hawerchuck in 81, but others want to trade their cast offs and list untouchables that are not even close to being Laine's value on their own, if you catch my drift?
well of course who comes right out and offers full value? It’s called negotiating, counter offering, bartering etc!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yet again, asks for numbers and real info, then denies any of it. You’re really showing exactly what you’re here for.

I bumped up both their career stats. You seem to think Domi's age 23 season was a fluke. I already replied to the context of that. It's time to talk about something new bud

Bookmark it. We can circle back when Domi is traded to a team with a better top 6 (if that is the case)

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I bumped up both their career stats. You seem to think Domi's age 23 season was a fluke. I already replied to the context of that. It's time to talk about something new bud

Bookmark it. We can circle back when Domi is traded to a team with a better top 6 (if that is the case)
You’ve shown zero evidence that it wasn’t a fluke besides talking about how Bergevin liked his shot.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

vs

Now do a comparison between Laine and Kotkaniemi and Suzuki. They’re actually a lot closer in age.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He's averaged 54 points these last 2 seasons as 1C (if we go by 82 games per season). Before that, he was our 3C. Also, Danault isn't just "good" defensively. He's one of the very best shutdown centers. Look at how the Pens and Flyers top lines fared against him...

Also, who do you have in mind to trade for Danault?

Roslovic

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Definitely wouldn't give Laine Marner money. Rantanen is as high as I would go, which is $9.25m.

9m x 8 years is probably about right for him. Really would any team seriously pay him $11m? I mean Marner at least pks and is out in defensive moments.

Probably heading to the States.

Johansen (Nashville) for Laine? He's signed long term and would be better in that #2 spot behind Scheifele.

It would open up a spot at center for Tomasino or Trenin behind Duchene in Nashville too.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
I want Heinola + Ehlers in MTL it would patch our weakness pretty well AND give us some amazing future on the D and W.

Heinola fits with our D squad age (Romanov,Norlinder,Brook,Fleury)
Ehlers fits with our Offensive core age

What would it take ?

Danault or Domi + first + RD prospect ?

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
@gojetsgo. Again, more Domi reply posts? What do you want me to do? Ignore? I'm TLTQ though? :sarcasm: :laugh:

@Dache. It's not complicated man. The value is below is fair IMO and Caufield bridges that gap. It's not a horrible offer. Stop pretending it to be.

Guess that makes Caulfield a 0 pts value in a trade, romanov a 0 pts value, Suzuki a 13 goal 28 assist guy in a trade....kotkaniemi a 6 goal 8 pts type of guy.

Reactions: DashingDane

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

Honestly, Domi and Caufield is a really good package, but I don't think it's the package you look for if you are trading Laine. I think they will aim to acquire a player with similar untapped potential (in their eyes) and unless they are really high on Caufield, this package doesn't provide that.

If you make Romanov available, the story changes, but I don't think MTL should do that.

Reactions: Nedarb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad