Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I'd definitely have some interest in a Copp for Risto trade that some Sabre fans seemed down with. I want no part of Ehlers or Laine to be traded. We have cap space and could very well find ourselves to take advantage of teams who need to shed salary and or possibly vulnerable to offer sheets, or even RFA's not being qualified that the Jet's might be interested in. Unless Laine is looking for 10M + or demanding a trade out and refusing to come back once he hits RFA, then you lock him down long term. And IF we were going to trade Laine, I'd prefer to see what kind of season he puts together next year before pulling any kind of trigger since I feel he has a monster season next year

I agree that I think Laine's break-out season is next season. It happens all the time in this league that superstars seem to flouish in their fifth seasons and onward.
There is a lot of precedent for this so I, for one, am excited to watch him in a Jets jersey again next season. (hoping we have one)
He looks pretty amazing when you compare his progress to other big names in this league. I think this should add to his trade value on potential, but in no way do I want to see him leave Winnipeg.
Laine (64, 70, 50, 63 ... ???)

MacKinnon (63, 38, 52, 53...97,99,93)
Draisaitl (9, 51, 77, 70 ... 105, 110)
Barkov (24, 36, 59, 52... 78, 96, 62)
Marchand(8th season - 1, 41, 55, 36, 53, 42, 61 ... 85, 85, 100, 87)
Seguin (4th season - 22, 67, 32... 84, 77, 73...)
Scheifele(0, 34, 49, 61 ... 82, 60, 84, 73)
Kessel (6th season - 29, 37, 60, 55, 63 ... 82, 52, 80...)
Wheeler (45, 38, 27, 17 ... 64)
Voracek(38,50,46,49 ... 46[48GP],62,81)
Kucherov(4th season - 18 65, 66 ... 85,100,128,85)
H. Sedin(29,36,39,42 ... 75,81,76 ...)
D. Sedin(34,32,31,54 ... 71,84,74 ...)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I did notice, but the difference is that Laine is much more valuable than Danault. The "ask" for Danault is either much too high, or Laine's is much too low.
I doubt he's as valuable as you seem to think. Teams aren't going to give up a ransom for a 1 dimensional, streaky winger who is going to want upwards of 10M AAV soon. Look at what Pacioretty got, look at what Hall got. Wingers just don't return as much in trades unless they are absolutely elite; we are talking Kucherov, P. Kane, Pastrnak, Ovechkin, etc., and those guys rarely get moved. Laine isn't in that tier despite his draft position.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I doubt he's as valuable as you seem to think. Teams aren't going to give up a ransom for a 1 dimensional, streaky winger who is going to want upwards of 10M AAV soon. Look at what Pacioretty got, look at what Hall got. Wingers just don't return as much in trades unless they are absolutely elite; we are talking Kucherov, P. Kane, Pastrnak, Ovechkin, etc., and those guys rarely get moved. Laine isn't in that tier despite his draft position.

Pacioretty got a top six winger, Vegas’s best prospect and a pick.

If you think Laine is one dimensional you’re out of it. Not to mention he is nearly five years younger than Patches when he was traded.

Laine is a much better NHLer than every winger you listed at his age besides Ovechkin and maybe Kane.

Reactions: Nedarb

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

If you think Laine is one dimensional you’re out of
it.
Yeah, so that's why the offer for Laine is an elite defensive 2C (> top-6 winger), a 1st (> a 2nd), and a prospect. And Suzuki wasn't VGK best prospect at the time, Cody Glass was. What has happened since then doesn't matter in terms of the value of the trade at the time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, so that's why the offer for Laine is an elite defensive 2C (> top-6 winger), a 1st (> a 2nd), and a prospect. And Suzuki wasn't VGK best prospect at the time, Cody Glass was. What has happened since then doesn't matter in terms of the value of the trade at the time.

I think the difference between Suzuki and Glass was marginal at best.

Danault, Caulfield and a 1st is your proposal for Laine? Meh. I don’t think that is a huge sell for the Jets considering Danault basically said he wants out in his exit interview if he is playing 3C and he is a FA at the end of next season.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think the difference between Suzuki and Glass was marginal at best.

Danault, Caulfield and a 1st is your proposal for Laine? Meh. I don’t think that is a huge sell for the Jets considering Danault basically said he wants out in his exit interview if he is playing 3C and he is a FA at the end of next season.
Sure, that's why they went 7 picks apart at the top of the draft. I think they thought Glass would still turn out better at the time of the trade, which is why they kept him.

And nope, my offer for Laine is Danault, a 1st, and a prospect not named Caufield or Romanov. It's a better package than what we got for Pacioretty at the time. It just so happens that Suzuki's development took an upward curve. Doesn't change the value of the trade at the time.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure, that's why they went 7 picks apart at the top of the draft. I think they thought Glass would still turn out better at the time of the trade, which is why they kept him.

And nope, my offer for Laine is Danault, a 1st, and a prospect not named Caufield or Romanov. It's a better package than what we got for Pacioretty at the time. It just so happens that Suzuki's development took an upward curve. Doesn't change the value of the trade at the time.

Don’t really see how that is a better trade at all considering you are vastly underrating Suzuki’s pedigree.

No idea why Jets do that. They can probably get a comparable 2C for less and are trying to compete now.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Imagine a fan base forcing us a 1rst, a random prospect and a player like Hayes for Suzuki??!!? Blechk :eek:

It's the same for the Jets and Laine. In fact, it's worse since Laine is better than Suzuki.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Your bias is showing when you include things that you obviously have made up out of the thin air. One dimension...you dont watch jets games, wants 10 million...source?..streaky...when you score 18 goals in one month...I am sure management went to him and said...slow down.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Your bias is showing when you include things that you obviously have made up out of the thin air. One dimension...you dont watch jets games, wants 10 million...source?..streaky...when you score 18 goals in one month...I am sure management went to him and said...slow down.

Gallagher and Tatar scored 22 all year...
Ouch!

Reactions: Nedarb

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Roslovic and Danault are quite different in calibre, as far as roster players go, in case you didn't notice. An elite defensive 2 way center, a 1st, and a prospect is a good package for Laine, a one-dimensional goal scoring winger. Pacioretty returned a roster player, a prospect, and a 2nd. It's debatable as to whether Laine is better than Pacioretty, but he is younger, so the pick is upgraded to a 1st.
Elite two way center implies that he’s also elite or at least very good offensively. This is like calling Matthieu Perrault very good offensively. And give me a break already, it’s debatable who is better between Laine and Patches? You can’t honestly expect your posts to be taken seriously after that.

Reactions: Nedarb and Snowman

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Don’t really see how that is a better trade at all considering you are vastly underrating Suzuki’s pedigree.

No idea why Jets do that. They can probably get a comparable 2C for less and are trying to compete now.
Like who? One for one yeah, but the 1st is likely to be a lottery pick, that has value too. In any case, that's all I would offer for Laine. Like I said, I doubt Laine would help us more than those pieces long term, but he's young and he scores goals, so I would take the chance. I've had my fill of streaky, 1-dimensional, floating wingers that are useless outside of goalscoring with Pacioretty. Maybe that's why I'm not as excited about Laine as some others are.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Elite two way center implies that he’s also elite or at least very good offensively. This is like calling Matthieu Perrault very good offensively. And give me a break already, it’s debatable who is better between Laine and Patches? You can’t honestly expect your posts to be taken seriously after that.
I said elite defensive, then I mentioned 2-way. I didn't simply say "elite 2-way".

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

If you think Laine is one dimensional you’re out of it. Not to mention he is nearly five years younger than Patches when he was traded.

Laine is a much better NHLer than every winger you listed at his age besides Ovechkin and maybe Kane.
Your argument was great until you said "maybe Kane". Are you off your rocker? Kane>>>Laine

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Palmieri + Zacha + foote
For

Laine +cap dump

Palm is a dependable in all zones 20 goal scorer on a good contract
Zacha I believe could become a 2nd line centre with better linemates then he had. Potentially on a good contract
Foote has a blaster of a shot that potentially might become a Laine lite for your top 6.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Palmieri + Zacha + foote
For

Laine +cap dump

Zacha I believe could become a 2nd line centre with better linemates then he had. Potentially on a good contract
Foote has a blaster of a shot that potentially might become a Laine lite for your top 6.

Well, I mean that’s worse than the Habs proposal so I’ll give you that.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Palmieri + Zacha + foote
For

Laine +cap dump

This doesn't do anything for the Jets, and I'm a devils fan. Zacha would maybe be of some interest for the Jets since he's not a complete loss as a middle 6 center, but why would they want Palm or Foote when the idea is moving wingers out to build a more well rounded team? And I don't know if Zacha is a step up from what they have already.

The Devils won't ever trade Nico in this situation, so the only reasonable bartering chip the Devils would have that may be of interest to the Jets that would have any sort of value would be Severson, but I don't know what their needs on the back end actually are. And if any deal starts with Severson, that likely means it's a deal that is pieced together from smaller parts, which Jets fans will hate I have no doubt. You're talking about a significant adds with Severson being a main piece as well.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well, I mean that’s worse than the Habs proposal so I’ll give you that.

your ability to judge trades comes into question when you think Danault+ a good prospect that hasn't cut it into the NHL yet + magic bean is better then what I offered from the Devils.

Danault = Zacha
until he proves himself
Palmieri > Caufield
The Habs 1st would probably be in the 15th-20th range so you might get someone as good as Foote in that range but Foote will have 1 year of development on him.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
your ability to judge trades comes into question when you think Danault+ a good prospect that hasn't cut it into the NHL yet + magic bean is better then what I offered from the Devils.

Danault = Zacha
until he proves himself
Palmieri > Caufield
The Habs 1st would probably be in the 15th-20th range so you might get someone as good as Foote in that range but Foote will have 1 year of development on him.
Yikes!!!

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What else does Laine do when he isn't scoring? Nothing. He's as useless as tits on a bull aside from that. And yeah he scored 18 goals in one one month (November 2018), and then followed that up by scoring only 9 goals the entire rest of the season despite playing in all 82 games lol. And yes, Laine is going to want to get paid, and with the way things seem to be going, he's probably on his way out of Winnipeg sooner rather than later, either by trade, or by UFA after arbitration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad