Speculation: Frank Servalli says Laine/Ehlers could be trade bait for Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Honestly, Domi and Caufield is a really good package, but I don't think it's the package you look for if you are trading Laine. I think they will aim to acquire a player with similar untapped potential (in their eyes) and unless they are really high on Caufield, this package doesn't provide that.

Would you do Alexeyev + Kuznestov for Laine ?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Honestly, Domi and Caufield is a really good package, but I don't think it's the package you look for if you are trading Laine. I think they will aim to acquire a player with similar untapped potential (in their eyes) and unless they are really high on Caufield, this package doesn't provide that.

If you make Romanov available, the story changes, but I don't think MTL should do that.

Why would the Jets do this? They have no reason to trade Laine unless it results in them upgrading their team. Moving deck chairs on the Titanic isn't going to accomplish this. It;s not like Laine is a pariah.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Would you do Alexeyev + Kuznestov for Laine ?

If I was Winnipeg, yes. If I was Washington...I don't know their C depth well, but Backstrom is getting up there and Kuz is a low end #1C so that's a hard sell.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Why would the Jets do this? They have no reason to trade Laine unless it results in them upgrading their team. Moving deck chairs on the Titanic isn't going to accomplish this. It;s not like Laine is a pariah.

Acquiring Domi and Romanov is the opposite of moving deck chairs on the titanic. No idea what you are going on about. Romanov would instantly become the Jets best 2 way D prospect since Morrissey, and Domi would be a good #2C.

Not to mention the purpose of this thread is that Laine might be available, so simply saying "they won't move him" is silly, you may as well just avoid the thread.

bendoc55

May 4, 2019
Does an Ehlers for Larsson/Puljujarvi base for a deal make any sense?
Oilers get a left wing for McDavid signed long term
Jets get a legit top 4 right sided d-man and JP, who’s shown well in Finland and maybe really evolves being on a team with Laine.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Laine has 70 pts and 40 goals in trade value
* Career stats are 66 pts and 37 goals after 4 seasons

Domi has 60 pts and 25 goals in trade value
* Career stats are 55 pts and 18 goals after 5 seasons

Just curious, as a Habs fan

How does someone who has 30/44/30/33(pace) goal seasons (34.25 goals) only pose as a 40 goal player

but Domi who has 18/12/9/28/19 goal seasons (17.2) pose as a 25 goal player?

Suddenly Laine, the elite goal scorer, is a 5 goal swing (despite having already scored 44), but Domi (who has gone 20+ once) is a 25 goal guy?

I'm a Habs fan - Domi's value is in the intangibles, not in his point production. He is a 55-65 point player, who can crack into the 70s with some great wingers and puck luck.

Laine is a 70+ point player who is starting to look great defensively, has one of the best shots in the NHL, and the fact that you keep calling back to point totals about Laine/Domi and then say points don't matter when talking about Necas/Suzuki shows everyone in this threadyou haven't watched Laine at all this season.

Laine is an elite talent in this league. Probably a top 30 player, maybe even better than that. Domi is a "very good" NHL player, they aren't in the same discussion. Caufield is a great prospect, and could be an elite goal scorer, but the reality is that does the Jets no good right now.

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
As we all know Bergy loves his 1 for 1 deals. I've seen a lot of MTL / WPG offers and one thing ive noticed is any mutual interest seems to include Danualt and Ehlers. What about Danault and Harris or Norlinder for Ehlers?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They are at a lost of words when I say this... Some are taking fits cause they want to pump Laine up to Ovi value and Domi down to Galchenyuk value. Truth is in the middle and they can't handle that logic.

Laine's trade value is 70 pts and 40 goals. * Willing to increase that to 75 pts
* Career stats are 66 pts and 37 goals

Domi's trade value is 60 pts and 25 goals
* Career stats are 55 pts and 18 goals

Habs adding Caufield bridges this gap. We are also willing to go deeper with the Blues 2nd and a RD prospect like Fleury.
You aren't taking age and contract status into account. What was domi's value after his 4th year vs now? At domi's age, its possible laine is a 55-60 goal scorer. Youre paying for that potential.

Honest question... why do you do this to yourself? How many people have tk tell you that domi isn't the basis for laine before you just realize that maybe you're wrong, and change your tune.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I personally think that would be a very good return for Winnipeg. Domi is solid, Caufield is a great prospect, Mete is serviceable on the 3rd pair and that 1st round pick is in a deep draft.
Probably because the jets are looking at wheeler, schief and helleys contracts and seentheir window as sooner than later - whichbis why they don't trade an established sniper for mostly "maybes"

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
And that is a lowball offer and you know it.
Idk, we had a similar player and traded him for a similar package to the one I proposed. I'd rather have the package we got. I would take the chance on Laine for that package because he's young, but I honestly have a hard time believing he'd help us more than those assets going the other way, so to me it would still be a little risky. Like Pacioretty, Laine is useless when he doesn't score, and he seems to have long stretches where he doesn't more often than a lot of people would like.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jets get a legit top 4 right sided d-man and JP, who’s shown well in Finland and maybe really evolves being on a team with Laine.

Not even close. Larsson is not the 22 year old with 5 years left on his 2nd contract anymore. Puljujarvi is not an adequate centerpiece of a trade either.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I'd start to package for Laine by offering Winnipeg a fairly young D with some term in Gostisbehere. When given the greenlight, Ghost can be a top-end offensive D. He would immediately replace the offense lost on the back-end from the departures of Byfuglien and Trouba. Then I'd add another forward, like JVR (20% salary retained), plus a 1st round pick in 2020, and Winnipeg's choice of a B prospect or 2nd rounder in 2021.

TO PHI
- Laine

TO WIN
- Gostisbehere
- van Riemsdyk (20% retained)
- 1st round pick 2020
- Prospect OR 2nd round pick in 2021

I think the Jets are going to need an anchor piece. I don't want to trade one of Sanheim, Myers or Provorov but I would imagine one of the three need to be in there.

van Riemsdyk is the logical salary match but I'd put minimal value there.
Then you're probably looking at Sanheim, 1st, and another high quality prospect. The Flyers would want to give Ratcliffe, the Jets would want Farabee, and the Flyers would be fortunate to settle on Frost.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
You aren't taking age and contract status into account. What was domi's value after his 4th year vs now? At domi's age, its possible laine is a 55-60 goal scorer. Youre paying for that potential.

Honest question... why do you do this to yourself? How many people have tk tell you that domi isn't the basis for laine before you just realize that maybe you're wrong, and change your tune.

How about: Domi, Tatar, Petry (50% retained), 2020 1st. Jets get a 2C, 2RD upgrade, 2LW replacement (both temporary) and a mid first in a deep draft. Petry and Tatar can be flipped at the deadline for two more firsts if the Jets aren't having a good season --- Habs take Laine and Perrault + something small

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Not really I wouldn’t think. I like Larsson but he’s not signed much longer if I recall and Puljujarvi isn’t moving the needle much at this point but I do think he can still be a good player given the right opportunity

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
As we all know Bergy loves his 1 for 1 deals. I've seen a lot of MTL / WPG offers and one thing ive noticed is any mutual interest seems to include Danualt and Ehlers. What about Danault and Harris or Norlinder for Ehlers?
No thanks. I value Danault higher than Ehlers. Danault can shutdown contending teams' top lines, and only has about 10 fewer points than Ehlers per season (while being a Center on top of it). That's worth a lot IMO. Habs are definitely not the ones adding.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think Ehlers to Ottawa makes sense. When you look at the roster Ottawa could be icing next season it looks ugly, it looks bad for the development of their prospects. Ehlers would be their best offensive player and he’s signed long enough to be part of the rebuild. What would the Sens have to give up? 5th overall pick straight up?
It's not a horrible offer, but the problem is that Ehlers is a know commodity and arguably the 7th best player in his draft year 2014. A 5th overall pick is an unknown and could turn out to be much worse and also wouldn't be ready to play for a few years. I think the risk/return ratio would be too high for the Jets. Admittedly, I'm not sure what a fair counter offer would be, but as the Jet's need is a 2C, perhaps it would include Josh Norris, as it sounds like he's almost ready to play in the NHL

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He's averaged 54 points these last 2 seasons as 1C (if we go by 82 games per season). Before that, he was our 3C. Also, Danault isn't just "good" defensively. He's one of the very best shutdown centers. Look at how the Pens and Flyers top lines fared against him...

Also, who do you have in mind to trade for Danault?
He suggested earlier in the thread that Roslovic for Danault + Caufield + 1st was fair value. He's the biggest homer on this site lol don't even bother. He also claimed Roslovic "would instantly slot in as the Habs' best winger" lol.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
I think Ehlers to Ottawa makes sense. When you look at the roster Ottawa could be icing next season it looks ugly, it looks bad for the development of their prospects. Ehlers would be their best offensive player and he’s signed long enough to be part of the rebuild. What would the Sens have to give up? 5th overall pick straight up?
Man, if Ehlers is worth 5OA (really? wtf?), then I would be ready to do a 3-way trade, lol. Habs could certainly use that 5OA pick. Anyway, Danault is worth more than Ehlers IMO (for a 10 point difference you get a shutdown center who literally shuts down all other contenders' top lines, and would be your 2C).

:habs
5th pick OA

:sens
Ehlers

:jets
Danault

Reactions: Easternbull

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
He suggested earlier in the thread that Roslovic for Danault + Caufield + 1st was fair value. He's the biggest homer on this site lol don't even bother. He also claimed Roslovic "would instantly slot in as the Habs' best winger" lol.
The best winger part is nonsense I’ll give you that, but I don’t think he was suggesting that Roslovic can get that package and was meaning Domi/Danault. While I agree that Roslo can’t get either of them on his own at the very least it’s a lot closer than adding caufield and a 1st

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That won't get you anyone in Winnipeg's top 5, but what about Roslovic? Montreal needs offense and Roslovic instantly slots in as your best winger.

This would only be if the Jets have confirmed Domi or Danault would sign in Winnipeg long term.
Lol. Now I know you aren't even serious. There's a word for what you are, but I don't want to get an infraction.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Man, if Ehlers is worth 5OA (really? wtf?), then I would be ready to do a 3-way trade, lol. Habs could certainly use that 5OA pick. Anyway, Danault is worth more than Ehlers IMO (for a 10 point difference you get a shutdown center who literally shuts down all other contenders' top lines, and would be your 2C).

:habs
5th pick OA

:sens
Ehlers

:jets
Danault
You’re trolling this is brutal my god

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
You’re trolling this is brutal my god
How is that trolling? An OTT fan said he'd be willing to trade 5 OA for Ehlers. A WPG fan replies that the 5th won't do much. Danault > Ehlers. Sure, Ehlers puts up more goals and about 10 points more per season (while not doing much in the playoffs - where it matters most), but Danault is one of the best shutdown centers in the league (he completely shutdown the Crosby and Couturier lines with ease) and is a center (he would be your 2C). So where's the trolling? Derek Stepan got a similar return, and he wasn't as good as Danault. You are waaaaay overvaluing Ehlers. This isn't Laine we're talking about. It's Ehlers..

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The best winger part is nonsense I’ll give you that, but I don’t think he was suggesting that Roslovic can get that package and was meaning Domi/Danault. While I agree that Roslo can’t get either of them on his own at the very least it’s a lot closer than adding caufield and a 1st
Oh that is indeed what he meant. Are you familiar with this poster? He posts ridiculous things to get a reaction because he's angry other fanbases don't value WPG players the way he hoes. Now that his post served its intended purpose, he will swoop in and claim he didn't mean that.

As for Danault, if WPG wanted to make a package offer for him involving Roslovic, the starting point would be Roslovic+1st+prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad