NHL 19 Franchise Mode Thread

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Another weird idea I'm trying in terms of player development. I recently got the 3rd, 5th, and 7th pick in the second entry draft. Wanted to pick a D because I'm loaded up on playmakers already and didn't see a fit for Lafreniere. Unfortunately the D I targeted went 2nd and I took Lafreniere third.

I didn't want another playmaker so I did an experiment with him and Lucas Raymond, picked seventh. Raymond's really fast and skilled but has crap physical and defense skills. I knew this from a previous dynasty. Lafreniere has killer offensive stats but bad balance/strength/defense at times, depends on the dynasty.

I changed Lafreniere's player type to sniper and he developed really well. Solid strength/balance stats and a really wicked shot, all shooting stats around 92 after two years. He's at 90 overall after two years with elite high potential.

Lucas Raymond's not doing as well after I changed his player type to two way forward. He grew from 75 to 77 and then to 79 now two years later. I do notice that his balance and strength are higher than I remember. His balance went from 67 to now 73, but still a long way to go.

I think one thing missing in NHl is the ability to fine-tune and target training. I remember one of the old games let you train defense, offense, or athleticism and it was crazy what you could do.

vancity787

Jul 3, 2010
Langley
Question:

I have a really solid rookie whom I just inserted into the lineup after letting go of another dman I deemed expendable.

Now, when I hold team meetings I use a demanding tone everytime and the entire team loves it except this young rookie whom Ive just granted a top four rool on the team.

Is this a huge issue going forward? should I throw him on the trade block? or just ignore it....

Edit: He scored two goals his first game...

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So, with recent news of Mikko Koivu being done in for the season, I opted to do a GM mode of Minny(which ive never done before surprisingly) and opted to do an almost scorched earth rebuild. changing of the guard in Minny.
trade diff: medium since hard can be almost impossible unless all assets involved are green/red for both teams

Trades made:

:leafs
Suter(1.5 M retained)

:wild
Liljegren
Horton(cap dump)
2019 1st

:jets
Staal

2019 1st Jets
D Sam Niku(prospect)

:bruins
Koivu

2019 1st Bruins
Backes(playable cap dump)

:edmonton
Dubnyk

Russell
Lucic(playable cap dump)
Puljujarvi(top 6 med)

:avs
Parise(2M retained)

2019 1st Avs
Soderberg(playable cap dump)

Lineups post trades + free agent signings

Zucker 84 - Granlund 86 - Aberg 79
Soderberg 81 - Rask 81 - Coyle 83
Lucic 80 - Backes 80 - Puljujarvi 78
Foligno 78 - Kunin 78 - Greenway 78

Brodin 83 - Dumba 85
Russell 79 - Spurgeon 84
Stuart 78 - Hunt 78

Stalock 80
Hammond 76

and lo and behold in the 1st draft class update, Med Franchise American Winger :laugh:

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Hartford Whalers Expansion Mode

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

Trade Deadline

tradecentre-2017.jpg

The TRADECENTRE broadcast team:
Host: James Duthie
Trade Breaker Desk: Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, and Gord Miller
Instant Analysis Panel: Ray Ferraro, Jeff O’Neill, Dave Poulin, Martin Biron, Pierre McGuire
Trade Bait: Craig Button
Deadline Panel: Jamie McLennan, Aaron Ward

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duthie: We have finally arrived at the 2019 NHL Trade Deadline. It marks the unofficial 3/4 mark of the season, and the point where most teams will either go all in on the Playoff Push or admit defeat and wave the white flag. Today is also the Hartford Whalers first Trade Deadline. Their rookie GM Brant King has made just 2 trades to date, but he is now tasked with the job of deciding who stays and who goes amidst their surprising 32-25-6 season.

Button: They're right in the Playoff Race, but it should also be mentioned they're currently on the outside looking in. Looking at the Trade Bait board, defenseman Mark Pysyk is #5, while forwards Ryan Spooner and Brock McGinn are #9 and #11 respectively. Brock McGinn was a late addition to this list, largely due to some very recent chatter about Hartford's disappointment in his play and his demotion to the 4th line over the past weekend. I should add that they're not going to give him away, but he can be had for the right price. He's got term left, and the consensus is that GMBK would be looking for a player of a similar age in return.

LeBrun: To continue off the Hartford chatter, it is largely unknown throughout the NHL on if they're buying or selling. I can say they've had lots of talks about their pending FA's after dealing Brenden Dillon, as some teams took that as a sign of being open for business. Those teams were clearly mistaken because from talking to multiple league sources I can also confirm that they have contacted sellers asking about their players.

Dreger: I can second Pierre's report. To give a little extra detail, the players they're contacting the sellers about all have term on their deal. Hartford may be buying, but they are not fishing for rentals, they're going for cost controlled players with term.

Ferraro: It's a smart move by GM Brant King. He could have really gotten jumpy with the success of his first year club, but he seems to be carrying a level headed approach into today.

Poulin: Just about the players they're targeting. Players with term are always more expensive since the team acquiring them will have them for longer than 3 months, so you have to have the ammo if you're going to shoot for them.

Biron: They have two 1st round picks, their own 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks. 5 out of the first 96 selections is very impressive. As an Expansion team, going into the Draft with all 5 of those would be beneficial to their prospect pool, but they also managed to get some young talent right out of the gate. They could afford to move 2 or 3 of those picks if it's for the right player.

images

Miller: Hartford has just released via Twitter that they've come to terms on a contract extension with Mark Pysyk. It comes with a salary of $8.025M over 3 years ($2.675M AAV).

images
images

Dreger: Ryan Spooner has been traded. Hartford has sent him to the Nashville Predators for AHL forward Nick Baptiste.

McGuire: Shaping up to be a busy day for GM Brant King. He's not fooling around here. Baptiste was once highly regarded in the Buffalo Sabres organization but joined the Nashville Predators organization via Free Agency this summer. The 23-year old has spent his season to date in the AHL, posting 37 points in 63 games.

O'Neill: I really like this return for the Whalers. Baptiste is a guy who is a buy low candidate to turn into a solid bottom 6 forward for a long time in this league. Spooner, 4 years his senior, has always struggled to be an effective bottom 6 forward because of some defensive deficiencies.

images
images

McKenzie: Hartford has another deal in the works. Pending a trade call to the League, they've acquired forward Marcus Johansson from the New Jersey Devils. Going the other way is Curtis Lazar, and two second round picks (2020&2021). Johansson, 28, can play all three forward positions and is a versatile 2-way forward. He instantly becomes the most creative player the Whalers have.

Ferraro: This is a big add for the Whalers. Johansson has 3 years left on his contract after this season, at a relatively modest cap his of $4.975M for a player that's going to be a driving force on offense for the team.

Poulin: Offense has been a struggle for Hartford. Not only at 5v5 but also on the PP. Johansson helps in both. He may even be a better PP player than he is at Even Strength and that's saying something because he's a damn good two-way forward. Still not the elite talent that Hartford is going to need to be a true contender one day, but that will come.

images
images

LeBrun: Hold on guys, I'm hearing that's not it for the Whalers rookie GM Brant King. From credible sources, they're finalizing a three way deal with the Ottawa Senatiors and LA Kings that is going to send defenseman Dylan DeMelo from Ottawa to LA through Hartford. Ottawa is going to receive Los Angeles' 2019 3rd that Hartford acquired in the expansion Draft, while Hartford is going to end up with defenseman Paul LaDue (LA) and Colorado's 4th round pick in the upcoming Draft.

Poulin: It was common knowledge around the NHL that Dylan DeMelo wsn't resigning with Ottawa, as he preferred the West Coast more. And as a 25-year old defenseman, he knew there would be suitors in Anaheim and LA. He brings a bit more offense to LA than LaDue, while LaDue is going to be able to be his steady self in Hartford.

McLennan: It's interesting to note that LaDue is on an expiring contract, something GMBK said he wouldn't be taking on. You'd have to think he's very confident he can get an extension done with the 26-year old LaDue.

Duthie: Well, let's find out. Hartford Whalers General Manager Brant King is on the line to talk about his first NHL Trade Deadline.

Duthie: So, Brant, how would you evaluate your first Trade Deadline Day?

King: Definitely a very busy day. On the phone a lot. Lots of good conversations, and I'm very glad some of it resulted in some good stuff for our club.

Duthie: Let's talk about the players joining your organization today.

King: First off, I'd like to thank Spoons and Curtis for their efforts this season in building a culture here and wish them the best of luck with the rest of their seasons. But, we are absolutely thrilled with the acquisition of Johansson, Baptiste and LaDue. We think they all bring different elements to our team, something that is very important down the stretch. Johansson instantly brings our offense to another level, while Baptiste is just 23 and we feel he'll be a very big part of our team moving forward. I should mention he is up with the NHL, he's ready for it. Paul is a steady defender who we envision pairing with Nathan Beaulieu for a real balanced pair.

Duthie: Just about LaDue's expiring contract, what changed your mind about acquiring them?

King: I wouldn't say anything changed. We just don't see Paul as a rental. Of course we're going to give him time to get acclimated to Hartford and get comfortable, but just from speaking with his camp prior to the trade, they aren't set on heading to Free Agency, so we felt it was a gamble worth taking on a pretty good, young defenseman.

Duthie: Is this team headed for the Playoffs?

King: Well, the guys have worked real hard to stay in the fight, so I felt we owed it to them to not tear down the roster. I have complete confidence that this team can make a strong push, even with the little changes thrown at them here. Some players are gone for sure, but I think they should feel that confidence we have in them when we add a guy like Johansson to the roster.

Duthie: For sure, best of luck down the stretch Brant.

King: Thanks James, as always it's been a pleasure.

Duthie: There you have it, GMBK thinks the Hartford Whalers can push for the Playoffs in just their first season in the League. What do youguys think?

O'Neill: I think they have a great chance at it. The only other players they parted with were Spooner and Lazar, so I'd say they improved their roster with Johansson, Baptiste and LaDue.

McLennan: I'm not completely sold on anything they have. They need elite talent in all three areas.

Ferraro: To contend yes, but to squeak into the Playoffs? I think they've got what they need to be a 2nd WC frontrunner. Schneider has provided them with capable goaltending so far, while their offense has been upgraded with another top-6 forward. If a top-6 forward puts a contender over the top, a top-6 forward will put a Playoff hopeful in.

Duthie: Good thoughts. Hold onto them, and we'll continue this chat after this commercial break.

PlayerOVRAgePotentialPositionPlayer TypeStatsYears/AAV
Marcus Johansson8328N/AFPlaymaker63 GP
7G-34A-41P
-9 ... 9 PIM
(NHL)
4/$4.975M
Mark Pysyk8027N/ADDefensive Defenseman62 GP
2G-12A-14P
-1 ... 0 PIM
(NHL)
3/$2.675M
(Ext. starting
next season)
Paul LaDue7826Med Top 6DD2 way Defender58 GP
0G-7A-7P
-4 ... 6 PIM
(NHL)
1/$0.825M
Nicholas Baptiste7523Med Top 9FRWPower Forward63 GP
17G-20A-37P
+12 ... 26 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.935M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rest of Season

LWCRW
Steen 84Nielsen 81Ryan 81
Duclair 80Johansson 83Rattie 79
McGinn 80Scissons 80Dano 77
Gaunce 77Foligno 79Baptiste 75
Weise 77Cogliano 80*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Cole 81Demers 82
Koekkoek 78Pysyk 80
Beaulieu 79LaDue 78
MacDonald 76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Schneider 83Korpisalo 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

BREAKING NEWS: All 3 Trade Deadline additions contribute in 6-3 victory over Stars
March 2nd, 2019
Marcus Johansson led the way with 2 points (1-1--2), while Nicholas Baptiste scored and Paul LaDue added an assist in Hartford first game, and win, post deadline.

Bobby Ryan had a 2-goal night for the Whalers as they improved to 33-25-6, just 2 points out of a Playoff spot.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Johansson injured, Cogliano returns
March 8th, 2019
The Whalers biggest trade deadline acquisition suffered an elbow injury in the teams game against the Washington Capitals. The Swedish forward will be out for the teams next 3-4 games.

Coinciding with the injury, Andrew Cogliano is over his ailment that kept him out of the lineup for the past 4 games. He will return in Johanssons spot as the 2nd line C.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Back-to-back loses hurt Whalers Playoff hopes
March 18th, 2019
The Whalers had a rough tow nights, going down 3-0 and 4-0 in consecutive first periods, deficits they were unable to surmount. Resulting in 3-0 and 6-1 loses to the Anaheim Ducks and Buffalo Sabres, the games left the Whalers 3 points outside the final WC position with 10 games left to play.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Newly formed 1st line explodes for 6-1 win over Calgary
March 24th, 2019
The win snapped Hartford's game losing streak. Andrew Cogliano had a hattrick, and added an assist (3-1--4), while Alexander Steen had a 5-point night (2-3--5) and Bobby Ryan had 3 assists (0-3--3)in the win.

Hartford is now just 1-point back of a Playoff spot with 8 games remaining in their season. They have a quick turnaround against the New York Rangers tomorrow night.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers eliminated from Playoff Contention with 3-0 loss to Bruins
April 5th, 2019
Despite the best efforts of everyone in Hartford's first NHL Season, they were eliminated from the Playoff running after losing 4 out of their previous 6 games following a convincing 6-1 win over Calgary.

Although their goaltending was solid the whole season, it really let them down over the past week, giving up 4,6,1,4,2, and 3 goals despite Hartford consistently holding teams to less than 30 shots/game over that stretch.

images

RecordHomeAwayGFPGGAPGPP%PK%DivisionConferenceLeaguePlayoffs?
41-34-719-20-222-14-52.59 (25th)2.65 (T-15th)18.7% (18th)78.9% (25th)6th10th19thNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Cory Schneider27-30-6.9162.675
Joonas Korpisalo14-4-1.9202.371
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:

Save for the 6 game stretch that dropped Hartford too far out of reach for a Playoff spot, the goaltending was exceptional all season from Schneider and Korpisalo. They give the Whalers the backbone to come back stronger next season with any possible Free Agent additions/Trades.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Jason Demers8242933+524
Nathan Beaulieu8171219-426
Mark Pysyk7931417-70
Slater Koekkoek8211617+323
Paul LaDue77 (19)1 (1)11 (4)12 (5)-3 (+1)14 (8)
Ian Cole8211011+436
Andrew MacDonald9022+22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Without any elite talent, the defense was in tough, but they managed. Jason Demers was incredible, finishign just 1 point shy of his career high, while Nathan Beaulieu, Mark Pysyk and Slater Koekkoek provided some unexpected playmaking from the backend. Ian Cole was a defensive force, what he was selected to be, while Andrew MacDonald filled in just fine when needed. Paul LaDue fit in well post-deadline, and likely earned himself an extension.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Alexander Steen82213960+228
Bobby Ryan82253257E39
Marcus Johansson80 (17)9 (2)46 (12)55 (14)-6 (+3)9 (0)
Frans Nielsen82163349-96
Colton Sissons78202545-738
Ty Rattie82152944-39
Brock McGinn82231639-2032
Anthony Duclair82201838-128
Andrew Cogliano78141327+324
Marcus Foligno8281826+528
Marko Dano65101222+815
Brendan Gaunce449514+36
Dale Weise

Nicholas Baptiste

E

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Alexander Steen became the first Hartford Whaler to post 60-points in a season, but he wasn't the only success story. Young forwards Anthony Duclair, Brcok McGinn and Colton Sissons all posted their first 20-goal seasons, while Ty Rattie finally broke out as an NHL scoring option. Marcus Foligno cemented himself as one of the best 4th line centers in the league, while Bobby Ryan revitalized his career after struggling in Ottawa.

With possible additions coming via Free Agency/Trade, the Whalers have a lot to look forward to up front next season despite missing the Playoffs.

images
images

Nikita Scherbak finished his AHL season with a career high 67 points (25-42--67) while defensive prospect Philippe Myers also posted a career high in points with 33 while being +26 averaging 25:36 minutes/game.

The Nova Scotia Voyageurs finished the Regular Season with an incredible record of 59-15-8, first in the AHL.

Start of Offseason

images

BREAKING NEWS: Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup
June 12th, 2019

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers don't win lottery, remain at 14th
June 15th, 2019
The Hartford Whalers did not win any of the 3 Draft Lotteries for the 2019 NHL Draft and will pick in the 14th slot they finished in after narrowly missing the Playoffs.

According to Central Scouting's Pre-Draft Rankings,

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Chris Kunitz, Brooks Orpik among this summer's Retired Players
June 17th, 2019
Two recent Cup winners headline the 2019 Retirees as Chris Kunitz (18-19 Chicago Blackhawks) and Brooks Orpik (17-18 Washington Capitals) have announced their retreats from the game of hockey. The former was a five time Cup Winner, while the latter won 2 Stanley Cups in his career.

Also among the players to call it quits on illustrious NHL careers are Jussi Jokinen (993 GP), Brooks Laich (776 GP), Joel Ward (808 GP) and Johnny Boychuk (659 GP).

NHL Entry Draft

RoundPickPlayerOVRAgePotentialPositionPlayer Type
114Rapahel Lavoie6318Med Top 6FC/RWPower Forward
126Artur Kaliyev6217Med Top 6FRWSniper
246Cristiano Duffy6518Low EliteLWPower Forward
378Michael Kinkaid5619Med EliteD2 way Defender
4 110Nikita Alexandrov5718Med AHL Top 6FCPlaymaker
4112Corbin Anderson6019Med BackupGHybrid
5142Isaac Kuperman4818Low Top 4DD2 way Defender
6174Dylan Fawcett5219Med Bottom 6FRW2 way Forward
7206Jakob Frolov4918Low Top 9FCPlaymaker
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Resign Phase

images

PlayerOVRAgePotentialPositionPlayer TypeStatsYears/AAVThoughts
Nikita Scherbak8023Med Top 6FRWPlaymaker79 GP
25G-42A-67P
+21 ... 12 PIM
(AHL)
1/$2.400MUnproven at NHL level,
but with breakout year,
could demand quite the
sum next summer.
Slater Koekkoek7925Med Top 4DD2 way Defender82 GP
1G-16A-17P
+3 ... 23 PIM
(NHL)
2/$2.250MSolid bridge for a dman
who is already a solid
top-6 option but could
become a top-4 over the
duration of the deal.
Smart to bridge to find
out before paying up.
Paul LaDue7826Med Top 6DD2 way Defender77 GP
1G-11A-12P
-3 ... 14 PIM
(NHL)
3.$1.100MFit in nicely after being
acquired at the Deadline.
Will have to fend off
Myers for 3rd pair role,
but no reason to bet
against him - atleast for
this season.
Philippe Myers7722Low Top 4DD2 way Defender77 GP
6G-27A-33P
+26 ... 48 PIM
(AHL)
3/$0.875MHulking 6'5" defender
will make a push for the
NHL roster as early as
this year, but him not
being waiver eligible
hurts his chances. Cheap,
no-risk deal.
Dillon Heatherington7724Med Top 6DDDefensive
Defenseman
81 GP
12G-21A-33P
+60 ... 50 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.900MSerious challenger for
NHL blueline patrol this
season. Led the AHL with
a +/- of +60, an AHL
record. If not in an NHL
role by end of contract,
will likely move on.
Phoenix Copley7627N/AGHybrid60 GP
42-10-7
.909 SV%
2.27 GAA
6 SO
(AHL)
1/$0.925AHL starter. Led AHL
in wins last season.
Cristiano Duffy6518Low EliteLWPower Forward65 GP
16G-37A-53P
E ... 46 PIM
(USA)
3/$0.875M
(ELC)
Far too early to tell, but
the 46th overall pick in
the 2019 NHL Draft could
turn out to be the steal of
the Draft. The 6'5"
forward is a beast, and
with the proper work,
could translate that to
the NHL.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hartford qualified RFA Nicholas Baptiste.-

Dale Weise and Andrew MacDonald exercised their right to walk to Free Agency as UFA's.

Free Agency

free-agent-frenzy.jpg

The FREE AGENT FRENZY broadcast team:
Insiders Desk: Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, and Gord Miller
Instant Analysis Panel: Ray Ferraro, Jeff O’Neill, Dave Poulin, Martin Biron, Pierre McGuire
FA Bait: Craig Button
FA Panel: Jamie McLennan, Aaron Ward

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duthie: Hello hockey fans and welcome back to TSN. It's July 1st and you know what that means here on TSN, it's Free Agent Frenzy. Signings are going to come flooding through the gates here in a couple of minutes, so let's get you right to Craig Button so he can highlight who's available and who's rumored to go where.

Button: Despite a down year with just 55 points, Nicklas Backstrom remains the cream of the crop in this years Free Agent pool. That being said, consolation prizes of elite two-way winger Mark Stone and Joe Pavelski, coming off a career high 90-point season, are no slouches. Right there with them are some pretty solid top liners in Evgenii Dadonov and Brayden Schenn, althought they are both coming off of rough years.

Resurgent veteran netminder Ryan Miller seems to have given himself an opportunity to earn one last payday, albeit on a 1 or 2 year deal, after outplaying John Gibson last season. RFA netminder Andrei Vasilevskiy is available to offer sheet, but knowledge around the NHL says he'll resing in Tampa.

The second tier of players contains some pretty good names looking for restarts in Michael Frolik, Mikkel Boedker, Charlie Coyle and Derrick Brassard; veterans looking to continue their careers in Justin Williams, Mikko Koivu and Zdeno Chara; and a few players just choosing to explore Free Agency in Chris Kreider and Jordan Eberle.

Miller: There's a few things we know. Hartford is going to seriously pursue the top talent. From all accounts, they are enamoured with Nicklas Backstrom, but the price may get too steep there. They really like veterans Joe Pavelski and Mikko Koivu, and seem to be fairly interested in Derrick Brassard. They've got alot of talks going on.

images

LeBrun: Word is that the Hartford Whalers have traded RFA Justin Bailey to the ____ for a 3rd round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft and a 2021 4th Round Pick. If they've already decided against negotiating with their own RFA, they must have plans in place.

Biron: Well, htey have over fourteen million in Cap Space, and theres plenty of talent here so you'd have to assume they're getting someone. They've proven they can compete, so it's not like the player would be signing to waste his career away.

images

Dreger:
Nicklas Backstrom has signed with the New York Islanders. I can now confirm it came down to the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders after the 3rd team, the Hartford Whalers, pulled out after wanting to go long-term but not being happy with the $$$ attached. The Isles get Backstrom locked up for just 1-year at a team friendly cost of $6.585M.

Poulin: Backstrom would've slotted in immediately as the Whalers only top end forward, which may have been a thought that scared him long-term. The team doesn't have any prospects that project to fill that role as of now, so maybe he felt that if he signed long-term, he could be shooting any chance he had at another Cup. With the Islanders, he slots in on either line 1 or line 2 with Mat Barzal patrolling the other. It's a solid 1-2 punch.

images
images

McKenzie: Hartford has just announced via Twitter two major signings. They've agreed to 1-year contracts with both Joe Pavelski and Zdeno Chara. Real big movement here in the NHL, as the Whalers jump from a team that narrowly missed the Playoffs to a contending team that still has more than $2.000M in Cap Space; which will only grow up until the Trade Deadline.

Joe Pavelski's contract is going to be around $8.000M while Chara's will be close to $6.000M.

O'Neill: I think the contender term attached to the team is still a little loose, but yes, these signings represent major upgrades on both offense and defense for the Whalers. I'm still not sold on Schneider as their guy in nets, and their offense is still underwhelming, but this is progress.

McLennan: I wouldn't be all that sure Schneider is their guy in nets O-Dog. Although he took the lions share of the game slast season, Joonas Korpisalo is a year older and outperformed him last season. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a 50/50 split.

Ferraro: Pavelski won't replicate his 90-point season he just had in San Jose, but he also becomes Hartford's top offensive threat. The offense is going to run through him, something that should b very beneficial towards his next contract, hence the 1-year and not 2-year term. Don't discount a re-up in Hartford, but Pavelski wanted to keep his options open for next season, and Hartford agreed with the 1-year term, presumably for different reasons (age).

Same thing with Chara. He likely won't sign another multi-year deal in his career, but he arrives in Hartford as their best defenseman, even at 42. Despite their ages, these are significant improvements to the Whalers roster.

Duthie: Very good stuff gys. We're going to take a quick break, and we'll be right back.

Joe Pavelski8734N/AC/RW2 way Forward82 GP
31G-59A-90P
+29 ... 18 PIM
(18-19 NHL)
1/$8.000M
Zdeno Chara8542N/AD2 way Defender82 GP
6G-9A-15P
-13 ... 40 PIM
(18-19 NHL)
1/$6.000M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next Post: 2019-2020 NHL Season

Reactions: Bluebird

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

2019-2020 NHL Season
Season Preview

images
images

Goaltending was the biggest strength of the Hartford Whalers in their inaugural season despite missing the Playoffs. Joonas Korpisalo and Cory Schneider return to the crease for another season, but things will likely be a little different this time around. After experiencing some growing pains the 17-18 NHL Season, Korpisalo backed up Cory Schneider with a .920 SV% last season, playing in 23 games (8 short his career high in 15-16). Schneider, who had a .916 SV% playing in 66 games, will likely see his load decreased to preserve his 33 year old body. That coincides with Joonas Korpisalo seemingly being able to take on more responsibility. This season should be somewhat of a platoon, while next season could see Korp take full control of the reigns.

images
images

With the addition of new #1 defenseman Zdeno Chara and the return of Jason Demers, Ian Cole, Mark Pysyk and Slater Koekkoek , Nathan Beaulieu, Philippe Myers, Paul LaDue and Dillon Heatherington were thrust into a battle for just 2 spots on the teams blue line. To start the season, its seems that LaDue has won the 6th defenseman slot, while Nathan Beaulieu and Dillon Heatherington played well enough to be deemed too valuable for waivers. That meant Philippe Myers was returned to the AHL for a second consecutive season.

images
images

Joe Pavelski isn't the only new face in Hartford, as project Nikita Scherbak will join the NHL roster for the upcoming season. While Scherbak's addition merely slides Anthony Duclair to the LW, the addition of Pavelski adds another layer. The signing slides Marcus Johansson back to the LW, where he can be more creative, and it allows Frans Nielsen and Colton Sissons to slide down into the #2 and #3 C roles respectively, slots they are better suited for. There is some negative though, as 23-goal scorer Brock McGinn falls down to the 4th line in a questionable decision. Marcus Foligno and Marko Dano return on the bottom unit, while Brenden Gaunce serves as the lone depth forward to start.

GM Brant King on Roster Decisions
On McGinn playign 4th line: Brock was a great player for us last year. Any player who leads his team in goals is obviously a very important guy. That being said, Duke also scored 20, as did Sissons and Steen and my point is, we've got lots of players who can score. We had some chats and went over some video at the exit meeting with him last season, and asked him to really work to improve his strength so he can win the battles in the defensive zone that can reverse his -20 rating. We are aware that +/- isn't the be all end all indicator, and it is flawed, but anytime a player is -20 on what was very close to being a playoff team, alarm bells go off.
On who is the teams starter this season: Both of our goalies are very capable. We believe in them both, and their numbers from last year speak for our faith. We don't have a plan right now. Korp is going to start on opening night, and that's all we know. That was a joint decision between us and both of our goalies, because we believe both will give us a chance to win.
On Pavelski and Chara, leadership corps: Both these guys have impeccable pedigree. Copious amounts of experience. They're the guys you want during a push. Cogs (Andrew Cogliano) is down in the minors, which sucks cause he's a great teammate, but we have a lot of talent in the organization. So, while Frans (Nielsen) and Steen (Alex) will obviously retain their "A's", Zdeno is going to wear one at home and Pavelski will wear one on the road.

LWCRW
Johansson 83Pavelski 86Rattie 82
Steen 85Nielsen 81Ryan 82
Duclair 80Sissons 80Scherbak 82
McGinn 80Foligno 80Dano 78
Gaunce 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Cole 81Demers 83
Chara 85LaDue 78
Koekkoek 80Pysyk 81
Heatherington 78Beaulieu 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Korpisalo 84Schneider 82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

First Half of Season

images

BREAKING NEWS: Pavelski scores in Season Opener as Whalers top Jackets
Oct. 14th, 2019
Ina 5-2 victory where shutdown defenseman Ian Cole registered 3 assists as the game's first star, Joe Pavelski scored his first goal as a member of the Hartford Whalers in his very first game. Playing at their home arena, the XL Centre, Pavelski capitalized on the Whalers first PP of the Season.

It's a quick turnaround for the Whalers as the play tomorrow in Toronto, a game Cory Schneider will start.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Duclair concussion makes matters worse amidst long losing streak
Oct. 23rd, 2019
The Hartford Whalers have lost 4 straight games by a combined score of 21-6 since winning their Season Opener. Anthoyn Duclair will be out until early-January with PCS. Things are looking very bleak for the Hartford Whalers, in a season expected to be a progression from their promising inaugural year.

Even their AHL affiliate the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, are having a rough season. Their record of 3-3-0 pales in comparison tot the 6-0 start they had last season.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers extend win streak to 5, continue climb up Standings
Nov. 23rd, 2019
After a horrendus start to the season, the Hartford Whalers seem to have found their stride. They have now won 5 straight games, and are 8-1-1 in their last 10.

They look to continue their recent success in a tough matchup against the 12-6-3 Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday night.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers deal Steen to Jackets for Abramov, Pick
Dec. 19th, 2019
After going through half of December mired in yet another long losing streak (0-5-3), Hartford GM Brant King deemed now was the time to shake things up. He's traded last year's leading scorer and Assistant Captain Alexander Steen to the Columbus Blue Jackets for prospect Vitali Abramov and a 3rd Round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft.

Steen's contract was expiring at the end of this season, and he wasn't looking to re-up with the Whalers as per reports.

Abramov, 21, is a former 3rd round pick (2016) who projects to be a scoring forward in the NHL.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Nathan Beaulieu traded to Penguins for 3rd Round Pick
Dec. 19th, 2019
In their second move of the day, the Hartford Whalers moved pending UFA defenseman Nathan Beaulieu to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a 3rd Round Pick in the upcoming Entry Draft. GM Brant King has shown a tendency to figure out early on if his UFA's were open to resigning, and if they weren't he has traded them. Beaulieu was one of those cases.

Hartford's season is in serious jeopardy as their long losing streaks have dropped them down the standings. They are already far behind the 8 ball less than halfway into the season.

Vitali Abramov7221Med Top 6FLWSniper31 GP
10G-9A-19P
-8 ... 4 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.730M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

12-23-66-9-36-14-32.20 (31st)3.02 (T-27th)13.8% (29th)79.8% (22nd)8th16th32ndNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Joonas Korpisalo11-15-4.9102.790
Cory Schneider1-8-2.8983.130
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Just about all of Hartford fortunes have been reverse this season. Their goaltending is no exception. After being the reason they remained in the Playoff race, goaltender has been unable to make the big save this year, allowing a freefall to take place. Not a lot of help in front of them, but not giving whats in front of them much help either. It's hard to believe Hartford thinks either of these goalies are long term options in the crease.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Zdeno Chara406612-1017
Ian Cole3911112-412
Jason Demers41167-1426
Paul LaDue21145-96
Mark Pysyk34044-44
Slater Koekkoek41044-128
Dillon Heatherington14033-46
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Zdeno Chara has been unable to turn back time and it looks like it could be the final season of his career. He, Ian Cole and Jason Demers are all on expiring contracts, and it would surprise no one to see atleast 2 of them suffer the same fate as Nathan Beaulieu.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Joe Pavelski39121628-90
Ty Rattie41131427-410
Marcus Johansson4151520-106
Frans Nielsen4151116-280
Bobby Ryan4151015-198
Nikita Scherbak4141115-96
Colton Sissons4131215-216
Brock McGinn414913-1116
Marko Dano417411+415
Brendan Gaunce355611+16
Marcus Foligno414711+812
///////////////////////////////
Anthony Duclair156
8+14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Asie from Ty Rattie and the reunited 4th line of Gaunce-Foligno-Dano, everyone has disappointed for the Whalers. Joe Pavelski was never expected to throw up another 90-point season with inferior talent, but his current pace of 58 is quite underwhelming. Veterans Marcus Johansson, Frans Nielsen and Bobby Ryan have all regressed mightily; while young forwards Colton Sissons and Brock McGinn have taken steps backwards. Anthoyn Duclair gets a pass for being injured, and his point production is actually decent enough in his small sample size. Nikita Scherbak is not the worst of the bunch, but he hasn't quite produced as expected for his talent. Expect lots of turnover at the Deadline and this Offseason as Hartford looks to move forward again after this season that is sure to be multiple steps back.

Second Half of Season

LWCRW
Duclair 80Pavelski 85Scherbak 81
Ryan 82Johansson 83Rattie 82
McGinn 80Nielsen 80Sissons 80
Gaunce 77Foligno 79Dano 78
Cogliano 78
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Chara 85LaDue 78
Cole 81Demers 82
Koekkoek 80Pysyk 81
Heatherington 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Korpisalo
83​
Schneider 82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Ahead of Trade Deadline, Whalers continue teardown
Feb. 3rd, 2020
GM Brant King continues to dismantle his team heading into the Trade Deadline as he's traded defenseman Jason Demers ot the Toronto Maple Leafs for young forward Pierre Engvall and a 2nd round pick in the upcoming Entry Draft.

Engvall, 23, is regarded in the hockey world as being a prospect that has all the tools to be a modern Power Forward, but needs work and patience. Hartford, who is learning exactly what it's like to be an Expansion Team, has both of those. Engvall will get a chance on the top line with Joe Pavelski and Marcus Johansson to start off his NHL Career

Following the deal, Philippe Myers was recalled from the AHL. He slots in next to Zdeno Chara on the top pair.

Philippe Myers7823Low Top 4DD2 way Defender50 GP
2G-14A-16P
+7 ... 34 PIM
(AHL)
3/$0.875M
Pierre Engvall7723Low Top 6FLW2 way Forward47 GP
19G-15A-34P
+7 ... 8 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.970M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Islander and Whalers swap UFA's, picks
Feb. 8th, 2020
In a big move, The Whalers acquired forward Brock Nelson, 2021 3rd and 4th round picks, and a 2020 5th round pick from the Islanders in exchange for Ian Cole and 2021 3rd and 4th round picks.

The move has been questioned by fans an analysts alike as to what was the points in Trading for another pending UFA in a season where Hartford is going to move theirs out. GM Brant King called into TSN Radio to talk about the deal:

GM Brant King
We saw an opportunity to acquire an extra Draft pick, and we've already informed Brock, who has a groin strain and wouldn't be able to play until late February, that he will likely not stay past the deadline. We feel that Brock can acquire us additional assets and maybe even more the Colesy could have.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Brock Nelson flipped to Stars for 1st round pick
Feb. 12th, 2020
Just 4 days after being acquired, Brock Nelson was packaged with 2020 3rd (OTT) and 4th (DAL)round picks in exchange for Dallas' 1st Round pick in the upcoming Draft. The move gives the Whalers 3 1st round picks in the upcoming Entry Draft.

The also own two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks, as well as 12 picks total in the Draft.

tradecentre-2017.jpg

Duthie: We're back from our break and we're going to continue our coverage of the 2020 NHL Trade Deadline. For those of you just joining us now, there hasn't been much action to date, so let's send you rigth to Craig Button to get an update on who's available.

Button: We are still expecting it to be a hectic day, one for the ages here. Just the Hartofrd Whalers alone have a few top names ot watch out for, including Joe Pavelski, Zdeno Chara, Anthony Duclair and Marcus Foligno. Foligno, despite proving to be one of the top 4th line centers in the league, has had enough of the horrendous season going on in Hartford and will not resign. It is not known what Pavelski and Chara are keen on doing, but we should find out today.

Other than that, there are a few big names floating around in Derek Stepan (ARZ), Ilya Kovalchuk and Jeff Carter (LAK), Tyler Myers and Ryan Suter (MIN) and Evgenii Dadonov (PHI).

images
images

Miller: The Hartford Whalers have completed their first trade of the day. They've sent pending UFA Marcus Foligno to the ST. Louis Blues for pending RFA Dominik Simon. For St. Louis this brings in size at the expense of skill, something Doug Armstrong has alluded to pre-deadline.

McGuire: Disappointing return from my point of view. Although he wasn't going to resign, Foligno has been one of the best 4th liners over the past 2 seasons and you trade him for a depth forward with some offensive upside? St. Louis wins this easily for me.

Biron: Simon has got the offensive knack that the Whalers need. He's younger, more skilled, and brings a different element. It all depends on how Foligno contributes to a playoff run in St. Louis, but for me this is a win-win.

images

LeBrun: Pavelski has just resigned in Hartford. Financial terms not disclosed, but it will be a cut from the $8.000M he's being paid this year. For a 35-year old without a Cup to sign with a team that is going through a season like Hartford is, they must have big plans for next season. Nothing concrete, but they pushed for Backstrom last seaosn on a long term deal, but I bet they get an elite player or two on long term deals.

O'Neill: Hartford needs a goaltender, multiple defensemen, and multiple forwards. They won't get them all this summer, so I'm not really sure what Pavelski is hoping for here.

Poulin: I'm going to say it now, but Hartford is my underdog for next season. They're going to get one hell of a player with their Draft pick, and they have the money to throw around in Free Agency. Having Pavelski already there is a pull the didn't have last summer when they were trying to lure his caliber of player into town. Watch out for the Whalers next season.

images

McKenzie: It was rumored around the league that if one stayed the other would too, and it's now confirmed. Zdeno Chara has agreed to an extension worth $5.000M for 1-year.

Ferraro: He's not a #1 defenseman anymore, but he's a workhorse. If they can add another defenseman of his stature or better, along with an elite forward and goaltender, they are a Playoff team next season.

McLennan: That's not a long list, but it's a heavy list. I don't think they get all 3.

Ward: So if you're Hartford, what's the priority? For me, it's goaltending and then a scoring forward. Chara can hold strong on the blueline. It will be their weakness, but Chara if Chara can hold up, it won't be the worst in the league. They need goals, and that's got to come form the forwards.

images
images

Dreger: Blockbuster deal pending a trade call. Hartford involved again. It's going to be Korpisalo heading to Chicago with Slater Koekkoek, Brock McGinn and 2020 2nd and 3rd Round Picks for Anton Forsberg, Connor Murphy, Viktor Ejdsell and a 2020 2nd. Essentially, Hartford moves down in the 2nd round to upgrade from Koekkoek to Murphy, while they get Ejdsell and Forsberg for Korpisalo, McGinn and a 3rd.

Hartford also announced via Twitter that they've recalled Taylor Raddysh from the AHL and signed defenseman Justin Falk to a pro-rated $700K contract for the remainder of the season.

Poulin: I think Chicago got the best of this with the extra pick, but I can see it from Hartford's side. Koekkoek hasn't progressed the way they liked, and Korpisalo failed miserably in the Starters position. Borkc McGinn failed to round out his defensive game, and Hartford was displeased with him. Connor Murphy is a solid defenseman who can play with Chara in an effort to form a shutdown pair, while Ejdsell will help the Whalers next season. Forsberg serves as a stopgap in the backup position and will liekly head to Free Agency this summer.

O'Neill: All that makes sense, but I don't like the Draft pick tradeoff for Hartford. Moving down in the 2nd and giving up an extra 3rd? I don't think they got enough out of the rest of the trade to justify that.

Duthie: Now we've got Hartford GM Brant King on the line to talk about his moves:

Duthie: So Brant, what do you make of your deals at your Second NHL Trade Deadline

King: Obviously as an organization were not to happy with how the season has gone, and neither are the players. This was about getting a culture in place, and that started with having players in the room who A) wanted to be here and B) were willing to put in the work to become more complete players for themselves and their team.

Duthie: Is that a slight to Koekkoek, McGinn, Korpisalo and Foligno?

King: No, not meant to be a slight at all. No hard feelings towards any of them, it's juts business. We wish them the best of luck.

Duthie: Was the plan always to get Pavelski and Chaar locked up? Or did you explore trading them?

King: Teams did their due diligence. We fielded calls, but nothing even close to what we value those players at came our way. Evene if we got an overpay for Pavs and Z, I don't know if we would have pulled the trigger. They bring leadership and experience to our locker room, something I don't think is quite valued enough anymore. Their poise is irreplacable, so I was working very hard with their agents to get deals done.

Duthie: Lots of speculation here as to what your summer plans are. Can you give us any hints?
King: Well, most importantly is finishing this season off the right way. Then, we've got Duke and some other guys we want to get locked up. Obviously Anthony is a pending UFA, but from the way our talks have progressed, I truly believe we can get a deal done with these extra couple months by keeping him. Obviously the Draft and Free Agency are a long ways away but I would be lying if I told you we haven't looked at the possibilities. It's our staffs job to always be striving and pushing for a better season next year.

Duthie: It's always a pleasure having you on the show, thanks Brant.

King: Thanks James.

Duthie: We're going to head to a commercial break, and after, we'll talk about what we just heard from the leagues busiest GM.

Connor Murphy8126Med Top 4DDDefensive Defenseman61 GP
4G-6A-10P
-17 ... 46 PIM
(NHL)
2/$3.850M
Anton Forsberg7927N/AGHybrid15 GP
5-10-0
.902 SV%
2.89 GAA
0 SO (NHL)
1/$1.095M
Dominik Simon7725Low Top 9FFSniper44 GP
3G-7A-10P
+3 ... 2 PIM
(NHL)
1/$0.700M
Taylor Raddysh77 22 Med Top 6F RW Power Forward 62 GP
19G-19A-38P
+19 ... 6 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.835M
Viktor Ejdsell76Med Top 6FRWPower Forward64 GP
15G-29A-44P
+7 ... 26 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.960M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PlayerOVRAgePotentialPositionPlayer TypeStatsEXT. Years/AAV
Joe Pavelski8535N/AC/RW2 way Forward58 GP
14G-26A-40P
-17 ... 6 PIM
(NHL)
1/$6.000M
Zdeno Chara8542N/AD2 way Defender61 GP
7G-9A-15P
-26 ... 35 PIM
(NHL)
1/$5.000M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Rest of Season
LWCRW
Ryan 82Pavelski 85Rattie 82
Duclair 78Johansson 83Scherbak 78
Engvall 77Sissons 80Simon 77
Dano 77Gaunce 77Raddysh 77
Nielsen 79Cogliano 78
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Chara 85Murphy 81
Myers 78Pysyk 81
Falk 76LaDue 76
Heatherington 77*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Schneider 79Forsberg 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

19-53-1010-26-59-27-52.12 (32nd)3.59 (32nd)14.9% (31st)74.1% (32nd)8th16th32ndNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Anton Forsberg6-16-2
(1-6-2)
(0)
Cory Schneider6-20-4.8853.620
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Woof.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Zdeno Chara8181119-3347
Connor Murphy814 (0)10 (4)14 (4)-33 (-16)54 (8)
Mark Pysyk7531114-2314
Paul LaDue6211112-2428
Philippe Myers32336-2612
Dillon Heatherington46055-1421
Justin Falk5011-64
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Woof x2.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Joe Pavelski78213859-236
Ty Rattie82252752-1718
Marcus Johansson82103141-3321
Bobby Ryan82141933-3130
Nikita Scherbak8282432-268
Colton Sissons82101626-2016
Anthony Duclair5616925-2016
Frans Nielsen5571522-310
Marko Dano8112921-830
Brendan Gaunce767815-1512
Dominik Simon64 (20)3 (0)10 (3)13 (3)-6 (-9)12 (10)
Pierre Engvall32459-218
Taylor Raddysh

Andrew Cogliano

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Woof x3.

Next Post: 2020 NHL Offseason

Reactions: rajiabu

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
just some constructive criticism my guy, but maybe split up the posts into like quarter season or even like just to the trade dealine, that way it's not just 1 long massive post. :] definitely interesting run tho so far @kinger8998

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Continued from NHL 19 - Franchise Mode Thread

NHL 19 - Franchise Mode - Vancouver Canucks - 2022/2023 Season

October 4, 2022

Training camp concludes today and team are required to finalize their 23-man rosters ahead of the deadline. The Vancouver Canucks announced their final cuts, sending Sam Gagner, Antoine Roussel, and Guillaume Brisebois down to Utica and rookies Jonathan Dahlen and Victor Soderstrom will live their dreams as they made the final roster.

The Canucks open their season on October 8 in Pittsburgh. Below is the current projected opening lineup.

Horvat, BoPettersson, EliasBoeser, Brock
Dahlen, JonathanSutter, BrandonJovanovski, Emanuel
Eriksson, LouiLind, KoleBaertschi, Sven
Granlund, MarkusGaudette, AdamVirtanen, Jake
Pouliot, DerrickJuolevi, Olli
Hutton, BenTanev, Christopher
Stecher, TroyWoo, Jett
Demko, Thatcher
DiPietro, Michael
Goldobin, NikolayGaunce, BrendanSoderstrom, Victor
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
just some constructive criticism my guy, but maybe split up the posts into like quarter season or even like just to the trade dealine, that way it's not just 1 long massive post. :] definitely interesting run tho so far @kinger8998
great advice, was actually considering that mid post but decided against it. have an offseason post coming here soon, then going to start posting as follows:

1) Season Preview & First Half
2) Second Half (incl. Trade Deadline)
3) Offseason

Playoffs will either be at end of Second Half or start of Offseason post, depending on length. Could even be its own on a certain occasion

Reactions: GAMO1992

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
for future note, ive got to turn off player morale. tried to leave it on for realism, but nikita scherbak going from 82-76 because hes angry is a tad ridiculous....

impossible to get a high pick without your whole team going down 2 overalls...even SPOLIER ALERT the #1 Draft Pick in 2020 :laugh: isnt really worth it

rajiabu

Aug 27, 2012
great advice, was actually considering that mid post but decided against it. have an offseason post coming here soon, then going to start posting as follows:

1) Season Preview & First Half
2) Second Half (incl. Trade Deadline)
3) Offseason

Playoffs will either be at end of Second Half or start of Offseason post, depending on length. Could even be its own on a certain occasion

Loving the good reads mate, top effort and keep em coming

Just started a fresh expansion team myself but don’t have the commitment to post it here like you have.
Plus I prefer to play a fair chunk rather then Sim it all.
Involved a bit of trading to get the lineup I wanted and wanted to start out with a super shite team

Goldobin —Anisimov—Simmonds
Lindbolm— Kahun— Eaves
Laughton—Sundqvist—Ceherlik
F.Gauthier—Malgin—Reeves
Elie/Hinitz

DeAngelo—Cernak
Mete—Hagg
Pettersson—A.MacDonald
R.Graves

Kinkaid/Stolarz

Reactions: kinger8998

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

2020 NHL Offseason

Offseason News

images

BREAKING NEWS: San Jose Sharks win Stanley Cup for first time in Franchise History
June 10th, 2020
Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski haven't gotten their Cups yet, but the San Jose Sharks have without them. Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns and Logan Couture led the way offensively, but it was Martin Jones taking home the Conn Smythe Trophy with a .932 SV% as he posted all 16 wins required to capture sports toughest Trophy.

The Sharks dispatched of the Golden Knights (4 Games), Avs (7 Games), Stars (6 Games) and Devils (7 Games) en route to their Championship.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Nova Scotia Voyageurs capture first Calder Cup
June 11th, 2020
Pheonix Copley was the hero for the Voyageurs as they defeated the Texas Stars in a 7 Game Series to win their first Calder Cup in Franchise History.

Copley, won all 15 games while posting a .938 SV% en route to earing the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as Playoff MVP.

Vitali Abramov was the leader up front for Nova Scotia, putting up 5 goals and 17 points in 23 GP.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Matt Cullen headlines 2020 Retirees
June 14th, 2020
The veteran of 1551 NHL Games Played retired after winning his 4th Stanley Cup win the San Jose Sharks. He also won 2 with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the other with the Carolina Hurricanes. The 43-year old also played for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (Anaheim Ducks), Nashville Predators, New York Rangers, Ottawa Senators and the Florida Panthers.

Two other members of the 1000 games club announced their retreat from the game as Dion Phaneuf and Kyle Brodziak called it quits.

Some other notable names were Ales Hemsky, Trevor Daley and Dennis Seidenberg.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers win Draft Lottery, will Draft 1st Overall
June 15th, 2020
After finishing last in the NHL, the Hartford Whalers rightfully won the NHL Draft Lottery. The concensus #1 Pick, Alexias LaFreniere will without a doubt be their selection, a Franchise altering addition.

Now with Chara and Pavelski resigned, along with LaFreniere joining the fold, the Hartford Whalers have a basis to lure Free Agents to their club. Not to mention the have ample depth in young forward like Nikita Scherbak, Anthony Duclair, Colton Sissons and Ty Rattie as well as some well respected veterans in Marcus Johansson and Bobby Ryan.

NHL Entry Draft

images

BREAKING NEWS: Paul LaDue traded to in Draft Day Deal
NHL Entry Draft
Also going to was a 5th round pick in the Draft. Coming back to Hartford is prospect Ryan Stillman and a 4th round pick in 2022.

Word around the NHL was Paul LaDue had requested a trade out of Hartford at his exit meeting.

11Alexis LaFreniere8018Med FranchiseLWPlaymaker
12Kaiden Guhle6818Med Top 4DD2 way Defender
130Justin Barron6018Med Top 4DD2 way Defender
236Rhett Rhinehart6418Med Top 6DD2 way Defender
262Marek Bondra6218Low EliteRW/CPlaymaker
365Connor Konz6218Low Top 6FC/LWGrinder
497Pekka Santala5118Med EliteLW2 way Forward
5144Ville Viuhkola4718Med StarterGHybrid
6161Igor Chibrikov5718Med AHL Top 2DDDefensive Defenseman
7193Connor Zary5818Med AHL Top 6FC2 way Forward
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Resign Phase

images

With $32.000M free heading into the Resign Phase, the Hartford Whalers have more flexibility than any team in the National Hockey League. It should remain that was heading into Free Agency, with their sole jobs being to re-up their depth and sign 2020 1st overall pick Alexis LaFreniere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexis LaFreniere8018Med FranchiseLWPlaymaker67 GP
45G-56A-101P
+15 ... 19 PIM
(QMJHL)
3/$0.925M
(ELC)
Future Captain and future
star.
Anthony Duclair8024Low Top 6FRW/LWSniper56 GP
16G-9A-25P
-20 ... 16 PIM
(NHL)
3/$2.750MSolid goal scorer, would
have two straight 20-goal
season if not for injuries
Pierre Engvall7724Low Top 6FLWPower
Forward
32 GP
4G-5A-9P
-21 ... 8 PIM
(NHL)
1/$0.975MStill a project, could be
used as a trade piece if
he doesn't work out. Still
young.
Viktor Ejdsell7725Med Top 6FRWPower
Forward
79 GP
20G-38A-58P
+12 ... 26 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.750MWill get NHL shot this
season. Nearing make
or break point for yonug
foward.
Taylor Raddysh7722Med Top 6FRWPower
Forward
18 GP
1G-4A-5P
-5 ... 8 PIM
(NHL)
2/$2.175MBright future for 2016 2nd
rounder. Smart player to
bridge as his ceiling is
unknown. Could be smart,
could turn out to burn
them.
Frank Corrado7627N/ADDefensive
Defender
82 GP
9G-29A-38P
+11 ... 86 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.875MBest AHL season to date.
Will get NHL look, but
long shot as Hartford
will be in on FA's.
Nikita Scherbak7624Med Top 6FRWPlaymaker82 GP
8G-24A-32P
-26 ... 8 PIM
(NHL)
2/$1.000MBest offensive NHL season
to date, but struggled
defensively. Made for
discount price on RFA F.
Morale is very low.
Vitalii Abramov7322Med Top 6FLWSniper82 GP
21G-17A-38P
-15 ... 10 PIM
(AHL)
3/$0.850MForward broke out in AHL
playoffs and looks to have
bright NHL future ahead.
Should be close by year 2
of this contract.
Arthur Kaliyev7119Med Top 6FRWSniper67 GP
24G-44A-68P
-11 ... 10 PIM
(OHL)
3/$0.900M
(ELC)
Second 2019 1st rounder
has potential to be very
good scoring forward in
NHL. Atleast 2 years away.
Jason Robertson6920Low Top 6FLWSniper27 GP
5G-7A-12P
-8 ... 2 PIM
(AHL)
3/$0.750MStill a young forward with
a high ceiling, but no one
is sure if he'll reach it.
2-3 years away from NHL.
Riley Stillman6822Low Top 6DD2 way
Defender
61 GP
3G-18A-21P
+10 ... 15 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.750MRecently acquired, has the
potential to fill 3rd pair
role. Will spend duration
of this deal in AHL.
Marek Bondra6218Low EliteRW/CPlaymaker34 GP
2G-1A-3P
+1 ... 38 PIM
(Extraliga)
3/$0.875M
(ELC)
5'9" undersized forward
could be similar to a
Mitch Marner one day,
just needs to round out the
edges and develop. Long
ways away for the 2020
2nd round pick.
Connor Konz6218Low Top 6FC/LWGrinder56 GP
12G-11A-23P
+2 ... 36 PIM
(USA)
3/$0.850M2020 3rd round pick has
the size and build to hop
right into AHL, an attempt
that Hartford will try.
Rare grinding forward
with top 6 upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The team sent Qualifying offers to RFA's Dominik Simon and Brendan Gaunce.

Hartford did not offer new contracts to goaltender Anton Forsberg, or

Pheonix Copley, Martin Marincin and Petteri Lindbohm opted to test Free Agency, citing the desire to crack an NHL roster elsewhere.

Free Agency

free-agent-frenzy.jpg

Whalers Beat: Frank Seravalli

Duthie: Thanks for tuning in to TSN, where we are just moments away from the opening of the Free Agency Period of the National Hockey League. The Hartford Whalers are expected to be today's busiest team, but exactly what players should we be expecting them to target today Craig?

Button: Exactly who they are in on my be more to the expertise of Frank and the Insiders, but I'll tell you who they could go after. Topping everyone's list of Free Agents is once again Nicklas Backstrom. Evgenii Dadonov also returns to the Free Agent Pool, while Tomas Tatar joins them this time around. On defense, Adam Larsson and Jeff Petry headline a list that has no top end guys, but plenty of depth. In nets, elite goaltenders Pekka Rinne, Frederik Andersen and Andrei Vasilevskiy (RFA) headline the talent, with fringe starters/platoon candidates Carter Hutton, Jimmy Howard and Thomas Greiss rounding out the pool.

Seravalli: While all of those are interesting names for sure, from what I know the Whalers have made contact with just one camp: that of Rinne. The Whalers are not enamored with Frederik Andersen and the long-term deal the 30-year old wants, but they are very interested in Pekka Rinne on the 1-year contract he is looking for. They feel they can get another starter next season, but for success this season, Pekka Rinne will be more than enough.

Outside of the 37-year old netminder, the team is seriously considering an offer sheet for RFA Alexander Nylander out of Buffalo. The team wants players that can be around long-term and Nylander is one of the only options available. They are also interested in Dan Girardi, Andrej Sustr and David Savard on the back end, all lower-cost RHD.

Miller: The Whalers are going to have serious competition for those defensemen because RHD are a comodity that don't become available all too often on the market. They are a rarity, so they will be highly sought after.

Duthie: Good stuff guys. We're going to head to commercial break and when we come back, we will break the signings that are coming your way.

Duthie: Welcome back to TSN. The Free Agency Period has just begun so the signings are going to start flooding in now. If you missed our segment earlier, we are expecting the Hartford Whalers to be a busy team today.

images

Miller: As previously reported, the Whalers had a vested interest in David Savard. That interest has turned into a contract, as the two parties have agreed on a two-year contract worth just a shade under $6.000M.

O'Neill: Hartford shores up their defense here, but they still have a ways to go before I see them as anything more than a 1st Round Playoff out. LaFreniere will help, but how much can really be expected of the rookie? They need some firepower up front.

images

LeBrun: O-Dog gets what he asks for. Apparently so does Hartford. Alexander Nylander's agent has just confirmed a Twitter Report that he has in fact accepted an Offer Sheet from the Hartford Whalers for 1-year. Samart move by Hartford, as they can then extend the forward for the max 8-years in January if they so wish. If Buffalo doesn't match, the Whalers forfeit their 2nd Round Pick this year due to the $3-4M dollar salary expected to be attached.

Ferraro: Buffalo does not have the Cap Space to match this. I'd assume they take the 6 Days to explore Trade options to open up some room, but I'm not sure if any of the guys that would open up that much are worth trading/can be traded.

McLennan: This would be a huge get for Hartford GM Brant King. The Whalers suffered through a rough season last year after surprising everyone in Year 1. The roller coaster continued for King, with possibly the biggest moment in his career being drafting 18-year old Alexis LaFreniere with his 1st overall pick. Now, he can add a 22-year old forward with the potential to be an elite forward in the league? What a turnaround.

images

Dreger: Another move incoming for Hartford. They've signed Valentin Zykov to a 1-year deal. It is expected he will start in the AHL.

Ward: Zykov has the potential to be a 20-goal scorer if put in the right NHL situation. Hartford is a solid fit for him in the means that he could potentially receive a callup and get a big opporunity. He's the type of player that can move up and down the lineup and fill a lot of holes.

Poulin: It's a big jammed up front for Hartford, so it make sense he will start in the AHL, but in a recall or even next season he could be a solid bottom-6 contributor that could jump up higher in the lineup.

images

McKenzie: Here's their big move. It's safe to say GMBK has pulled out the big guns because Pekka Rinne has just agreed to a 1-year contract with the Hartford Whalers. Despite being 37, the goaltender is still an elite performer, and will benefit from having Cory Schneider as his backup for the upcoming season.

Biron: Schneider suffered a rough season last year, but he is capable of shouldering 30 games and keeping Rinne rested for the Playoffs, which surely Hartford will make now.

McGuire: I'd have to assume so. They've got the favorite for Rookie of the Year, an elite goalie, and ample offensive and defensive depth. In my opinion they make they make the Playoffs, and may even upset a higher seeded team.

images
images

LeBrun: We've got a July 1st Trade. I'm hearing Keith Yandle is going to be on his way to Hartford, with a package including Bobby Ryan headed the other way. I'll update with more details.

Ward: Bobby Ryan requested a trade out of Hartford and Keith Yandle did the same in Florida. Ryan heads south with the opportunity to have a bounceback year with better offensive talent in a contract year, while Keith Yandle can head to Hartford and be a #2 defenseman behind Chara. Obviously more is going to be heading to Florida, but how much more is the question.

Ferraro: You'd have to assume Hartford is holding onto their 1st this season. After the rude awakening they got last season, there's no way they can give up their 1st this year without losing sleep. They no longer have their 2nd this year, so maybe their 1st/2nd last year is in play.

O'Neill: You'd have to think a RHD goes back Florida's way. The Whalers now have Connor Murphy, David Savard, Philippe Myers and Mark Pysyk on their roster, in addition to Zdeno Chara, Dillon Heatherington and now Keith Yandle. Connor Murphy gelled with Chara, so doubt he moves, and Savard is not involved for obvious reasons. That leaves one of Myers or Pysyk.

McLennan: Myers is younger but Pysyk is more rounded and the better player at this point. Myers has the ability to be a true top 4 defender, but Pysyk is currently the safer bet to be a positive contributor this year, somethign Florida likely values as they are coming off of a very successful season.

LeBrun: It's Pysyk, and their 2022 2nd Rounder also going in the deal. Prospect Isaac Kuperman (57, 19, Low Top 4D) is included as well. Yandle is the lone piece headed to Hartford, while the Whalers retain 50% of Bobby Ryans salary for the final year of his deal.

Poulin: I like this deal for Hartford. They kept their youngest defenseman, didn't give up a 1st, and managed to walk away with the best player in the deal. Yandle has 2 years left, so he gives them an offensive presence on the backend that they haven't had to date.

Ferraro: This to me, makes Hartford a team you have to consider atleast a 7 game out in the First. I think this move even puts them in a confident 2nd round for me. There isn't really a scenario aside from an injury to Pekka Rinne that could put a doubt in my mind that they make the Playoffs.

Duthie: Okay so theres's a prediction from Ray. Who else cares to have a say?

Poulin: They're a first round out in my books.

McGuire: I'll side with Ray and say they lose in the 2nd.

McLennan: I hate to say it but I think they narrowly miss the Playoffs by a point or two, but make it next year with sophomore Alexis LaFreniere.

O'Neill: Conference Finals. Big fan of what's being built in Hartford.

Duthie: Lot's of opinions, but what do you, the fans think? Head to TSN.ca and vote for where you think the Hartford Whalers lose, or if you have them as your choice for the Stanley Cup. That's it for what has turned out to be the Hartford segment of our show, we'll be back in a few with more Free Agency updates.

Pekka Rinne8937N/AGHybrid64 GP
40-20-4
.926 SV%
2.24 GAA
5 SO (NHL)
1/$8.000M
Keith Yandle8434N/ADOffensive Defenseman82 GP
11G-33A-44P
+9 ... 4 PIM
(NHL)
2/$6.350M
Alexander Nylander8222Med EliteRWPlaymaker82 GP
14G-33A-47P
-3 ... 10 PIM
(NHL)
1/$3.500M
David Savard8029N/AD2 way Defender82 GP
0G-6A-6P
-9 ... 30 PIM
(NHL)
2/$2.900M
Valentin Zykov7625Med Top 9FRW/LWPower Forward82 GP
31G-33A-64P
+28 ... 36 PIM
(AHL)
1/$0.850M
Pheonix Copley7628N/AGHybrid68 GP
40-19-8
.918 SV%
2.21 GAA
6 SO (AHL)
1/$0.700M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next Post: 2020-2021 NHL Season

Last edited:
Reactions: rajiabu

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

NHL 19 - Franchise Mode - Vancouver Canucks - 2022/2023 Season

March 1, 2023

The NHL trade deadline passed yesterday afternoon with no last minute trades, but concluded a busy February in the trade market.

The Boston Bruins loaded up in February, adding defenseman Jake Muzzin and forward Andreas Athanasiou as they hope to compete for the Stanley Cup, which they won 2 seasons ago. Long-time Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask was shipped to Detroit in the Athanasiou trade as Rask had lost his starting role to Boston native Cory Schneider.

Winnipeg shored up their defense, adding Mattias Ekholm and Vince Dunn from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for their 1st round pick and a couple of prospects.

Anaheim strengthened their centre depth adding Derek Stepan from Arizona for their 2024 1st, 2023 2nd, and a prospect.

The Vancouver Canucks, who are in the playoff hunt with 67 points in 62 games and currently holding a narrow edge on several teams for a playoff position, did not make any transactions. The Canucks are currently battling the injury-bug with injuries to Brock Boeser, Emanuel Jovanovski, Ben Hutton, Christopher Tanev, and Thatcher Demko, although none are expected to miss significant time.

DateTeam 1Team 1 AcquisitionsTeam 2Team 2 Acquisitions
2023-01-31To ARI2024 2nd, 2024 3rdTo VGKJ. Demers, A. Angello
2023-01-31To FLAD. RittichTo SJSJ. Lammikko
2023-02-08To CBJJ. McCann, Z. BogosianTo FLAL. Foudy, N. Jonsson, M. Renwick
2023-02-10To BOSJ. Muzzin, Z. HymanTo LAKJ. Barron, 2023 2nd, 2023 4th
2023-02-11To CHIA. Angello, 2024 5th, 2024 6thTo VGK2024 3rd
2023-02-13To LAKK. CliffordTo MTL2023 4th, 2024 6th
2023-02-15To COLM. Wood, 2023 4thTo NJDN. Beaulieu, 2024 4th
2023-02-18To STLC. Love, A. Hunwick, 2023 1stTo WPGM. Ekholm, V. Dunn
2023-02-19To DALI. McCoshen, 2023 2ndTo FLAD. Shore, 2024 3rd, 2024 4th
2023-02-20To ANAD. Stepan, X. OuelletTo ARIL. Alen, 2024 1st, 2023 2nd
2023-02-21To CARA. Lehkonen, 2024 4th, 2024 5thTo MTL2023 3rd
2023-02-21To BOSA. Athanasiou, 2024 2ndTo DETD. Del Rio, T. Rask, 2024 6th
2023-02-24To EDMJ. Ryan, 2024 3rd, 2024 4thTo MIN2024 2nd, 2024 4th
2023-02-25To LAKA. Brown, 2024 2ndTo NYIC. Eakin, 2024 3rd
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

April 9, 2023

The Vancouver Canucks' season ended last night with a 2-0 loss to the San Jose Sharks in a battle for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference. Despite launching 37 shots on net and 7 powerplays, the Canucks simply could not find a way to best San Jose goaltender Martin Jones. Justin Bailey scored the game-winner in the first period and Logan Couture added an empty netter to secure the victory and post-season for the Sharks. San Jose will play the Presidents' Trophy-winning Anaheim Ducks in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The Canucks started the season hot with a 6-1-0 record, but an injury to captain Bo Horvat sent the team into a tailspin that they struggled to overcome throughout the year, seemingly unable to string together multiple wins, which ultimately ended in failing to make the postseason for the 7th time in 8 seasons.

Rookies Jonathan Dahlen and Michael DiPietro were bright spots for the Canucks with Dahlen finishing 3rd in rookie scoring with 43 points and DiPietro leading all rookie goaltenders in wins and shutouts despite a backup role.

"It's a disappointing end to what was supposed to be a promising season, but there are certainly positives to build upon," said the Canucks GM. "We were top 10 in goals for, goals against, and penalty killing and ended with a positive goal differential. We simply let too many points slip through our fingers in those 1-goal games."

Elias Pettersson led the team in scoring for the second straight season with 70 points and Brock Boeser led the team in goals with 31.

The Anaheim Ducks won their 2nd Presidents' Trophy in 3 years with 112 points to clinch home ice advantage throughout the playoffs. Dallas' Tyler Seguin won his 2nd career Art Ross trophy with 91 points. Winnipeg's Patrik Laine won his second consecutive Maurice Richard trophy with 44 goals. 2022 1st overall draft pick, Kevin Gormley of the Detroit Red Wings, led all rookie scorers with 45 points.

2022-2023 Vancouver Canucks statistics

Record40-35-7 (20th)
Goals For226 (10th)
Goals Against216 (10th)
PP%19.2% (14th)
PK%83.7% (5th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PlayerGPGAP
Pettersson, Elias77264470
Boeser, Brock79313263
Jovanovski, Emanuel78263359
Horvat, Bo71174158
Baertschi, Sven82182543
Dahlen, Jonathan82123143
Pouliot, Derrick8272532
Virtanen, Jake82121729
Lind, Kole7372128
Goldobin, Nikolay43141226
Eriksson, Loui72101626
Granlund, Markus8291322
Sutter, Brandon75101121
Hutton, Ben7511718
Woo, Jett6021416
Gaudette, Adam597815
Tanev, Christopher7731215
Juolevi, Olli8251015
Gaunce, Brendan27617
Soderstrom, Victor33156
Stecher, Troy82246
Utunen, Toni3000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

GoaltenderWLOTLSOSv%GAA
Demko, Thatcher2621630.9232.40
DiPietro, Michael1312130.9132.86
Hoffman, Kris12000.8982.95
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2023 Stanley Cup playoffs first round matchups

:bruins vs :cbj
:pens vs :sabres
:leafs vs :habs
:canes vs :bolts

:ducks2 vs :sharks
:hawks vs :wild
:edmonton vs :kings
:jets vs :stars

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

2020-2021 NHL Season

Season Preview

images

BREAKING NEWS: Marleau signs with Whalers
July 20th, 2020
After mulling retirement for the first 3 weeks of the Free Agency Period, Patrick Marleau decided he wanted to continue playing.While other teams had moved their attention to options available on July 1st, the Hartford Whalers remained confident that Marleau would choose them if he elected to return for another season. Their patience and confidence paid off.

The 40-year old veteran has signed a 1-year deal with the Hartford Whalers for the 2020-2021 NHL Season. In their previous 2 seasons, the Hartford Whalers offense finished 25th and 32nd so the addition of a known scoring commodity will help that.

Marleau is coming off the worst statistical NHL season of his career with just 12 goals and 32 points, so this is a gamble, but it's one worth taking on a player who has been there and done that, aside from winning it all.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Mid-summer Blockbuster moves Subban to Whalers
August 12th, 2020
What normally represents the dog days of the summer just brought possibly the most exciting news of the year. After losing Pekka Rinne to Free Agency, the Predators decided it was time to start building a new core, and turned their attention to trading some big names. The first domino to fall was P.K Subban, and the Whalers were the beneficiary of that.

Although Subban is similar to Marleau in the way he is coming off a down season, he is young enough to rebound and be elite for years to come. Posting just 46 points last season, his lowest in a full season since 2011-2012, the defenseman is still a Norris Candidate and instantly becomes the Whalers best player.

Jusse Saros is just 25, Kevin Fiala just 24 and Eeli Tolvanen 21. Ryan Ellis and Ryan Johansen are 29 and 28 respectively. Filip Forsberg is 26. If a retool is what they desire, they can complete it in 3 years and still have enough to compete. Heck, Kyle Turris and Mattias Ekholm just hit their 30's and if they stick around, they will still be big pieces. That being said, they are probably the 2 most likely to be moved after the 30-year old Subban was traded as the Predators change their identity.

In the first August trade of the new decade, the pending UFA Subban was sent to the Hartford Whalers for defensive prospect Michael Kinkaid (65, 20, Med Elite), Hartford's 2022 1st round pick, defenseman Philippe Myers (78, 23, Low Top 4D) and RFA forward Dominik Simon.

PK Subban8831N/AD2 way Defender82 GP
10G-36A-46P
+13 ... 46 PIM
(NHL)
1/$9.000M
Patrick Marleau8140N/ALW/CSniperGP
12G-20A-32P
-14 ... 13 PIM
(NHL)
1/$3.500M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

The Hartford Whalers enter the season with the most stable goaltending they've had since entering the league. Pekka Rinne comes in as the backbone of a revamped team, while Cory Schneider fills the backup role. While Rinne is expected to be elite, he is 37, so Schneider will have to play 25-30 game so to keep the veteran fresh for the Playoffs, the expectation for this Hartford team. Both goalies are on expiring contracts, so this likely will be a 1-year setup.

images
images

The Whalers new top pair consists of two trade acquisitions from this past summer. Keith Yandle and P.K Subban team up to give Hartford not just their best pairing, but potentially one of the best pairings in the league. That allows the 43-year old Zdeno Chara and Connor Murphy to settle back into a more suitable 2nd pairing role, where they can torment other teams middle-6 forwards. Dillon Heatherington returns with Free Agent signing David Savard on a solid 3rd pair. Invited to camp on a PTO, Mark Borowiecki earned himself a 1-year, $700K deal and will serve as the depth defenseman.

images
images

New faces highlight a group of forwards that should outscore the previous 2 groups to take the ice in Hartford. Prodigy Alexis LaFreniere and RFA steal Alexander Nylander are the biggest names, but veteran Free Agent addition Patrick Marleau is no slouch. 2019 2nd Round pick Cristiano Duffy surprised and made the team out of camp, while Taylor Raddysh and Victor Ejdsell make the full time jump. Returning are veterans Marcus Johansson and Joe Pavelski, along with young forwards looking to take another step in Nikita Scherbak and Anthony Duclair. Pending UFA Colton Sissons starts off centering the 4th line, while Brendan Gaunce and Pierre Engvall start as depth forwards.

images

After struggling through a rough season, Frans Nielsen was cut from the team this season and demoted to the minors. The veteran forward may have played his final game in the NHL. 4th line mainstay Marko Dano also finds himself on the outside looking in. Free Agent signing Valentin Zykov starts int he AHL as expected, while prospects Vitalii Abramov (74, 22, Med Top 6F), Jason Robertson (72, 21, Low Top 6F), Marek Bondra (62, 18, Low Elite) and Connor Konz (62, 18, Low Top 6F) also develop n the minors.

images

Outside of the professional leagues, the Hartford Whalers have various prospects around the world. 2020 4th round pick Pekka Santala (51, 18, Med Elite) will play his D+1 season in the Finnish Liiga along with goaltending prospect Ville Viukola (47, 18, Med Starter). In Russia, the Whalers have prospects Jakob Frolov (52, 19, Low Top 9F) and Dylan Fawcett (67, 20, Med Bttm. 6F).

In the Canadian Hockey League, Hartford has Arthur Kaliyev (73, 19, Med Top 6F), Kaiden Guhle (68, 18, Med Top 4D), Justin Barron (60, 18, Med Top 4D), Raphael Lavoie (68, 20, Med Top 6F) and Rhett Rhinehart (64, 18, Med Top 6D). All of those names, aside from Rhinehart (2020 2nd), were 1st round selections.

GM Brant King discussing Roster Decisions
Duthie: First, let's talk about Frans Nielsen. How hard was it to have that conversation with him?

King: It's never easily telling someone they're heading to the AHL. It becomes that much harder when sitting across from you is a respected NHL veteran. Frans has done so much for this team and our culture over the past two seasons. We can't thank him enough. He will be wearing an "A" in the minors, and Frankie Corrado will retain his "C".

Duthie: Who is Cristiano Duffy and what can we expect of him?

King: Duffy is a big body. The kid is 6'5" and 215, a complete beast. We expect him to be a Power Forward for us, getting in front of the net and getting to the dirty areas. Expectations should be tempered because he is a rookie and he is starting on our 4th line, but he's capable of being a great player in this league for a long time.

Duthie: Let's talk about your summer. Between the Draft, Free Agency, and your trades, you were the League's busiest GM.

King: Obviously we really upgraded our team. Alexis is going to be a Franchise player in this league, but for this year we just expect him to come in a get acclimated to the NHL game. Alexander Nylander is going to be another player that's going to be in Hartford for a very long time, and a person we build our team around. P.K and Keith solidify our back end and allow Z to take a breather, something we talked about over the summer as being very important for anyone his age. Pekka and Patty (Marleau) bring even more veteran leadership to our locker room, and they can still play.

Duthie: What can we expect from this group? How do you see this season ending for youguys?

King: I can confidently say we are a Playoff caliber club. Obviously, anything can happen over the course of the season, but barring unforeseen circumstances, this is a team I believe can make a splash.

Duthie: If they make a splash, do you make a splash at the Deadline? Will your 1st round pick be in play?

King: That's a bit far away. Obviously it depends on where we are and it requires an honest evaluation of our club. We have a pretty good prospect pool already, so we don't absolutely need it, but I'm not sure we're at the point yet where I'm trading 1st rounders for pure rentals. We'll see.

Duthie: Always an interesting and open conversation when we have you on our show Brant. Thanks, and best of luck with the upcoming season.

King: Thanks James.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Marleau to join Pavelski, Chara as "A's"
Preseason Notes
With the demotion of Assistant Captain Frans Nielsen, the Hartford Whalers had a vacant "A" to hand out. Although Marcus Johansson was a candidate, the easy choice was to give it to a known leader in Patrick Marleau. The now 41-year old has been a captain, and worn an "A" with both San Jose and Toronto, his only previous Franchise's.

Joe Pavelski and Zdeno Chara were named Assistant Captains upon their arrival last season, and will retain their letters.

It is worth noting all 3 are on expiring contracts.

First Half of Season

LWCRW
LaFreniere 80Pavelski 83Nylander 84
Scherbak 83Johansson 83Rattie 80
Duclair 80Marleau 81Raddysh 79
Duffy 78Sissons 80Ejdsell 79
Gaunce 77Engvall 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 84Subban 88
Chara 83Murphy 81
Heatherington 77Savard 80
Borowicki 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
StarterBackup
Rinne 88Schneider 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

BREAKING NEWS: Pavelski injured, out 1-2 games.
Oct. 16th, 2020
In a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, which Hartford lost, Joe Pavelski left with an undisclosed UBI. He will miss the second half of this back-to-back against Carolina, and will be re-evaluated prior to the teams game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on the 19th.

Hartford's loss dropped them to 0-2-1 on the season.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: LaFreniere gets first point, Schneider injured in win over Canes
Oct. 17th, 2020
Without Joe Pavelski, the Hartford Whalers managed to win their first game of the season 4-1 over the Hurricanes. Alexis LaFreniere, moved to center between Nikita Scherbak and Alexander Nylander, recorded an assist, his first NHL point, on the GWG.

Cory Schneider left midway through the first period after suffered a LBI injury that will keep him out of the lineup for the next 2 games. That forced the Whalers to recall Pheonix Copley from the minors, leaving them in a tough spot. When Schneider returns, the will have to choose between placing Copley, the cheap goaltender, on waivers; or placing Schneider, the overpayed backup, on waivers. Copley has the greater chance on being claimed, leaving the AHL without a starting netminder. That would ruin thw winning culture that GMBK has worked hard to establish for his prospects development.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Pheonix Copley clears Waivers upon Schneider's return
Oct. 24th, 2020
It seems the Whalers made the right choice with their goaltender dilemma. When Schneider was able to return from injury, the club placed Pheonix Copley on waivers. The goaltender cleared, and will rejoin the Nova Scotia Voyageurs.

images

BREAKING NEWS: LaFreniere injured, out day-to-day
Nov. 15th, 2020
The 19-year old has just 4 goals and 7 points in 17 games. Hartford is struggling to win games, and if they want to win more, they'll need more from the rookie forward. The injury is not of the serious variety.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Entering December, Hartford still struggling
Dec. 1st, 2020
It is after the Thanksgiving cutoff, and typically teams 3 points outside the Playoffs never get there. That is not good news for the Hartford Whalers, who sit 4 points out as of today.

Patrick Marleau is the teams leading scorer with 12 goals and 19 points, while no one else is doing much of anything. The teams struggled are worrisome to the culture that is in Hartford after going through one of the worst seasons in modern NHL history. Predicted to be the Calder Trophy winner ahea dof the season, Alexis LaFreniere has unerwhelmed, with just 10 points (5-5--10) in 23 games. 2020 2nd overall pick Kelly Henderson (85, 19, Med Franchise) leads the way with 23 points (9-14--23) in 24 games.

The team sits 9-11-4.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Hartford loses important matchup against Flyers
Dec. 9th, 2020
The Hartford Whalers inability to show up to the big stage will be the reason they miss the Playoffs this season in a year where they should not. The culture of this hockey club is embarrassing an no one is happy with what is going on.

Despite having won 3 of their previous 4 games, the Hartford Whalers fell flat in a game against the Flyers, who occupy one of the WC spots hte Whalers are chasing. Sure, beating bottom feeders in Detroit and the Islanders by a combined score of 8-1 is cool, but Hartford needs to show up to win the games like these.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Keith Yandle comes to play on Florida Trip
Dec. 13th, 2020
After a lackluster effort against Philadelphia, the Hartford Whalers took a trip through Florida. After squeaking by the Lightning 3-2, Keith Yandle lef the way with 3 assists in a 6-2 rout of his former team, the Florida Panthers. The victories are a step in the right direction, but the team needs to build off them and find consistency.

Hartford now sits 4th in the Atlantic with 32 points (14-13-4), holding the 2nd Wild Card Position.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Senators win leaves Hartford back at Square One.
Dec. 29th, 2020
Heading into the New Year, Hartford has a reputation for being the streakiest team in the league. Over their past 8 games they have won 2, lost 2, won 2, lost 2. Their inability to get out of their own way is not only frusteration for ownership, but for fans as well.

The team sits 16-17-4, outside of a Playoff spot, and well below what was expected of them coming into the season

images

19-18-47-11-212-7-22.98 (T-9th)2.71 (T-15th)23.8% (8th)69.5% (31st)4th9th21stNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Pakke Rinne13-16-3.9112.671
Cory Schneider6-2-1.9212.322
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

The original plan was not to play Rinne this much. But, his performance over the first half was so worrisome, that the team felt they needed to allow him to work through it. At this point, Hartford may have to see if Schneider can step up and take control, because they are lucky to be juts 1 point out of 3rd place in their Division.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Keith Yandle4132831+46
P.K Subban4171623E18
David Savard41178E15
Zdeno Chara38156-818
Connor Murphy41134+718
Dillon Heatherington41112+621
Mark Borowiecki3101+27
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Keith Yandle has proved to help boost the offense form the backend. P.K Subban really struggled to start the season, but has come around in recent weeks, meanwhile ZDeno Chara has not come around. While bottom pair defenders Connor Murphy and Dillon Heatherington have been stellar to date, Chara has been the worst of the bunch. It is rumored the team is contemplating a healthy scratch scenario soon.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Joe Pavelski40161834+88
Alexander Nylander41112031+24
Patrick Marleau41161430+16
Ty Rattie4182028+60
Nikita Scherbak41121527-12
Marcus Johansson4161925+28
Alexis LaFreniere4091221-36
Anthony Duclair4171219+310
Cristiano Duffy417916E10
Taylor Raddysh365712-66
Colton Sissons406511-14
Victor Ejdsell19246-14
Pierre Engvall

Brendan Gaunce

+1

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

Despite all the new faces, it's veteran Joe Pavelski leading the way. That's not to discount the contributions of the new guys, specifically Alexander Nylander and Patrikc Marleau. Alexis LaFreniere hasn't quite been the Rookie of the Year contender he was expected to be, but a strong second half could correct that sentiment. The rest of the forward group has been a mix of good-to-great, with no real disappointments.

images

In the AHL, prospect Vitalii Abramov is well on his way to having the best season of his professsional career. The 22-year old has 30 points in 41 games. Jason Robertson has already posted a new career high in points (22), while upping his PPG ratio from .44 to .54.

Next Post: Second Half of 2020-2021 NHL Season

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

Second Half 2020-2021 NHL Season

Start of Second Half

LWCRW
Scherbak 83Johansson 83Nylander 85
Duclair 80Marleau 81Raddysh 79
LaFreniere 80Pavelski 81Rattie 80
Duffy 79Sissons 80Ejdsell 79
Gaunce 77Engvall 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 84Subban 88
Borowicki 77Murphy 81
Heatherington 77Savard 80
Chara 82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
StarterBackup
Rinne 88Schneider 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

BREAKING NEWS: Ducks rout Whalers in lopsided afair
Jan. 18th, 2021
The Hartford Whalers continued their disappointing season by getting embarrassed in a 7-2 loss to the Aanaheim Ducks. The loss left the team with a record of 20-21-5, somehow juts 4 points out of a Playoff spot in a weak Atlantic Division.

Joe Pavelski, who led the team in points, has 0 points in 5 second half games, while no one has been able to pass him, highlighting the Whalers struggles to perform consistently.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Subban signs Extension with Hartford
Jan. 23rd, 2021
Coming out of the teams "Bye Week", it seems as though GMBK and Subban's camp made signifigant progress in aocntract talsk, because PP.K Subban signed a 3-year contract extension to remain with the club. The deal is worth a total of $24.000M, which represents a slight cut in both term and money compared to his last contract.

The veteran defenseman is struggling through yet another down season for a player of his stature, with just 25 points through 47 GP. He has a rating of -3 so far this season.

P.K Subban8831N/AD2 way Defender47 GP
8G-17A-25P
-3 ... 20 PIM
(NHL)
3/$8.000M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images

BREAKING NEWS: Duffy Hattrick, Marleau's 2 points help Whalers stun Sharks
Feb. 1st, 2021
The lowly Hartford Whalers, who can barely stay above .500, walked into the SAP Centre with a mission. That mission was to steal a game in one of the toughest Arena's to play in in the league. They did just that, off the back of former longtime Shark Patrick Marleau (1-1--2) and a third period natural hattrick from rookie Cristiano Duffy (3-0--3).

Victor Ejdsell assisted on all 3 Duffy goals as the Whalers broke open a 3-3 game en route to holding on for a 6-3 victory.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers lose Johansson in loss to Tampa
Feb. 22nd, 2021
A 2-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning was a loss that ended the first 5-game point streak (4-0-1) of the season for Hartford, but it doubled as a game where 1st line center Marcus Johansson went down with an injury. The Swedish forward will be out approximately 1 week with the ailment. Fortunately for the Whalers, they play just 2 games this week, so they will ask players to step up to hold down the fort just a week before the NHL Trade Deadline.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Connor Murphy resigns ahead of Deadline
Feb. 27th, 2021
Just hours after a 4-3 SOL to the St. Louis Blues wrapped up the unofficial first 3/4 of the season, the Hartford Whalers announced via Twitter that they've resigned defenseman Connor Murphy to a 5-year contract extension.

The deal, which begins next season, carries the exact same cap hit as his current contract ($3.850M) but carries a L-NTC, so Murphy can submit a list of 10 teams he would not go to short the Whalers decide to part ways over the duration of the extension.

Connor Murphy8127N/ADDefensive Defenseman63 GP
1G-8S-9P
+12 ... 30 PIM
(NHL)
5/$3.850M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Trade Deadline

tradecentre-2017.jpg

Duthie: Well, the Trade Deadline has come and gone, and as has been the case the previous two years, Hartford GM Brant King did not fail to impress. Let's send you straight to the Trade Breakers Desk to get a recap on what went down.

images
images

LeBrun: In their first move of the day, bright and early, GMBK stuck a deal with Nashville to acquire struggling, inconsistent forward Kevin Fiala in exchange for Colton Sissons, Victor Ejdsell and a 2026 3rd round pick.

McGuire: To me, the inclusion of a 2026 Pick is strange. You almost never see picks traded unless it's within 2 years, but I guess the effects of where they finish that year on a 3rd round pick won't be substantial.

O'Neill: Definitely an interesting trade for sure. A risk taken by Brant in the way that Fiala is a representation of Hartford themselves. Very inconsistent. It doesn't break that mold, it actually plays into it. Curious decision.

McLennan: I think King hopes that they can solve it together, As Fiala figures out his inconsistencies, he likely hopes the team will take notice and do so as well. Thought process is there, just not sure how it works out for them.

images
images

McKenzie: In a true hockey deal, King sent struggling veteran Zdeno Chara to the Dallas Stars for their own struggling veteran in Joe Thornton. Other pieces were involved as Brendan Gaunce and the New York Islanders 3rd in this years Entry Draft also went to Dallas, while Connor Carrick joined Thornton on his flight to Hartford. Every player moved in this deal is on an expiring contract, a rarity in todays NHL.

Poulin: I think the beauty of this move is how much stronger it makes Hartford offensively. It allows them to have 4 lines hte can role without one designated 4th line. They have so many options, it will be very hard to defend against them.

Ferraro: You have to roll these lines evenly, or else there will be some very angry guys not getting enough ice time. They have 11 forwards who have all shown the ability to play top-9 minutes.

Miller: Rumor has it that Ty Rattie and Anthony Duclair will both remain with Pierre Engvall as their center, which is likely the 4th line on paper, but not a true 4th line. They have legitmate chemistry, and have produced like a 3rd line when put together.

images

Dreger: King's final move of the day wasn't really a move at all. He re-signed Alexander Nylander to an 8-year, $64.000M contract extension. The deal takes Nylander past 30.

Biron: GMBK likes to get his extensions done early, and this follows that preference. Nylander has already eclipsed his point totals from last season, and the sky is the limit for him.

Duthie: As we do every year, here's GM Brant King on the line to talk about the moves he just made:

Duthie: Hey Brant, busy day for you again today.

King: I guess so haha.

Duthie: Did you know coming into today that you were trading Big Z?

King: Honestly, I did not. A few teams had brought his name up to me, Dallas being one of them, but I wasn't giving him up without an NHL piece came back. That's when they proposed Thornton for Chara straight up. We couldnt make that work personnel wise so we decided to build off that and ended up at the deal accepted.

Duthie: What do you think of your forward group now, with Fiala and Thornton?

King: I could gush about it. We may not have the elite talent that some teams have, although we will very soon in Alexis and Alex, but we have the depth. Duke and Ty being on a so called 4th line speak to that. We don't have a 4th line, but I know youguys will call it that.

Duthie: How many of these expiring contratcs do you expect to get renewed. You have Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau, Carrick, Borowiecki...are you having talks with those guys?

King: Obviously we've had talks with Pavs and Patty, as well as Boro. They've been here the whole season, so we've had that chance. Jumbo and Connor just got here so we haven't had time but I will look into it for sure. We also aren't going to completely tie ourselves down, as a team still looking to evolve and add, we need some flexibility.

Duthie: Is that alluding to another run at some Free Agents?

King: No comment.

Duthie: Okay Brant, thanks again. You always are very transparent.

King: My pleasure James, thanks again for having me on.

Kevin Fiala8224Med Top 6FLWSniper63 GP
11G-15A-26P
E ... 8 PIM
(NHL)
2/$3.560M
Joe Thornton8241N/ACPlaymaker63 GP
1G-24A-25P
-4 ... 11 PIM
(NHL)
1/$5.035M
Connor Carrick8026Med Top 4DD2 way Defender63 GP
1G-3A-4P
-5 ... 22 PIM
(NHL)
1/$2.690M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LWCRW
Scherbak 83Johansson 83Nylander 86
Fiala 82Thornton 82Raddysh 81
LaFreniere 81Marleau 81Pavelski 80
Duclair 80Engvall 79Rattie 80
Gaunce 77Duffy 79
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 85Subban 88
Savard 80Carrick 80
Heatherington 77Murphy 81
Borowiecki 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
StarterBackup
Rinne 88Schneider 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
BREAKING NEWS: Chara gets Revenge in 2-0 Dallas Win over Hartford
March 18th, 2021
While the Hartford Whalers have been good post-deadline, they got a big slap in the face tonight in Dallas. Where Trade Deadline acquisitions Joe Thornton and Kevin Fiala were been nowhere to be found, Zdeno Chara scored a goal and played 24 minutes of near perfect hockey for the stars as the shutout the Whalers

images

BREAKING NEWS: Subban, Rinne haunt Preds in return to Nashville
March 21st, 2021
Pekka Rinne stopped 25/26 (.961 SV%) and P.K Subban had 3 points (1-2--3) in their return to Nashville. The lowly Predators have sunk to the bottom of the League after being raided by the Whalers, who - after signing away goaltender Pekka Rinne - traded for Subban and Fiala.

Fiala had 0 points and an even rating in 12:41 of ice time.

Other than the occaisional performance like this, the season has been quite unerwhelming for Rinne. He owns just a .911 SV% in his 53 games he's played, 24 of which were wins. Cory Schneider has actually outperformed him with a .914 SV% and 9 wins in 18 GP.

images

BREAKING NEWS: With 8 games remaining, Playoffs look Bleak
March 25th, 2021
Six points out of both 3rd place in their own division and out of a WC spot leave the Hartford Whalers all but certain that they will miss the Playoffs yet again.

The odds of pulling it off are unlikely, as it would likely take 7 wins in 8 games to even give themselves a chance. Hartford has not had a streak of such yet this year. Maybe next year Hartford, maybe next year.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers eliminated from Playoff Race with loss to Caps
April 10th, 2021
Despite a valiant effort from the team, assembling a 6-0-1 record over their last 7 games, it was not enough as they were knocked out of contention with a loss in the 81st game of their season. Although the disappointment of missing the Playoffs is front and center, perhaps a positive can be taken out of it - this was the first time the team assembled a streak of such magnitude.

This is the second time in their three year history they were knocked out of the Playoff Race in April. Surely, that's good news as an Expansion team, but in a season where the Playoffs were expected, it is still a disappointment.

images

39-32-1117-18-622-14-52.87 (14th)2.70 (T-18th)22.4% (10th)71.3% (31st)5th10th21stNo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Pakke Rinne30-26-8.9142.593
Cory Schneider10-6-4.9162.672
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:
The Pekka Rinne experience was not a good one for Hartford, while Cory Schneider was actually superb in his backup role. It would not be shocking to see 2 new goalies altogether man the crease for Hartford next season, but it would also surprise no one to see Schneider resigned. Rinne will not return.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Keith Yandle8294655+38
P.K Subban8293443-528
David Savard823912E39
Connor Murphy822911+1132
Dillon Heatherington82235+441
Connor Carrick74 (11)1 (0)3 (0)4 (0)-7 (-2)28 (6)
Mark Borowiecki19112E54
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:

Keith Yandle and P.K Subban settled in as the team's first pair after a rough start to the season. After a season of acclimation for Subban, more will be expected from the usual Norris Candidate who was not in the conversation the past 2 seasons. Both David Savard and Connor Murphy will return next season on the right side, while Dillon Heatherington showed he could stick ion the NHL and will likely be resigned. Mark Borowiecki and Connor Carrick will go to Free Agency, according to preliminary reports. Carrick had an awful showing with Hartford, being their worst defenseman upon arrival.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Alexander Nylander82204060+28
Ty Rattie82154156+72
Joe Pavelski81292655+1614
Marcus Johansson80173653-316
Nikita Scherbak82213152-620
Patrick Marleau82272451+212
Alexis LaFreniere81183149+618
Anthony Duclair82232144+116
Kevin Fiala82 (19)12 (1)21 (6)33 (7)-3 (-3)10 (4)
Joe Thornton82 (19)3 (2)26 (2)29 (4)-3 (+1)13 (2)
Cristiano Duffy59111122-312
Taylor Raddysh7781422-516
Pierre Engvall496
16-12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:

The offense was very spread out, with just Taylor Raddysh and Cristiano Duffy the only two players to play the full season with the Whalers to not top 40 points. Trade Deadline acquisitions Kevin Fiala and Joe Thornton were ugly and uglier, so it's common knowledge that Joe Thornton will enter Free Agency, while the Whalers will hope for a rebound season from Fiala. Joe Pavelski will likely get a contract offer, as will Patrick Marleau. Alexis LaFreniere enjoyed a successful second half, and although he will not win the Calder Trophy, he has a very bright future ahead of him.

images

Prospect Vitalii Abramov scored 16 goals and had 59 points in his sophomore AHL season, while Jason Robertson had 40 points (14-26--40). Marek Bondra and Connor Konz had 33 and 13 points respectively.

Start of Offseason

images

BREAKING NEWS: Chara-less Bruins win Stanley Cup
NHL Offseason News
For the 7th time in Franchise history, the Boston Bruins are the Stanley Cup Champions. It is the first time since 2011 that the Bruins became the Champions.

When Boston forfeited the quality of Draft Picks they did in Offer Sheeting goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy, they did so with the expectation that he would be their best player. That proved to be worth it, as he took home the Conn Smythe Trophy as Playoff MVP after posting an otherworldly .940 SV%. His performance helped the 2WC Bruins upset the New York Rangers in Round 1, and dominate the Sabres and Penguins in Rounds 2 and 3 en route to the Finals, where the Bruins beat the Flames in 7 games.

Ryan Donato was also very impressive for the Bruins, leading the Playoffs in points with 23.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers will pick 12th after Draft Lottery
NHL Offseason News
They didn't get lucky enough to win the Draft Lottery, but the Hartford Whalers still have a fairly high Draft Pick @ #12 as a reward for missing the Playoffs.

Will they trade the pick? Will they draft a stud, or a dud? Find out at the NHL Entry Draft.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Veterans Kesler, Backes announce Retirement from NHL Hockey
NHL Offseason News
Veterans of 1096 and 1021 games respectively, Ryan Kesler and David Backes headlined a long list of Summer retirees. That list continued with Travis Zajac (1051 GP), Antoine Vermette (1125 GP), Jason Chimera (1107 GP), Matt Stajan (1003 GP), Dan Hamhuis (1139 GP), Ron Hainsey (1112 GP) and Brayden Coburn (1082 GP). Goaltenders Peter Budaj (365 GP) and Curits McElhinney (217 GP) also announced their retirments.

Although he spent his final season with Nova Scotia of the AHL, Hartford's Frans Nielsen also announced his retreat from the game. The forward amassed 175 goals and 494 points (175-319--494) in 901 career games played. He remains with the team as a scout.

NHL Entry Draft

112Richard Wagner6318Med Top 6FLWSniper
392Radek Malik5618Low Top 6DDDefensive Defenseman
497Kari Kaltiainen5619Med StarterGHybrid
4115Frank Schoten4918Med Bottom 6FCPlaymaker
5140Ryan Stepien6019Med AHL Top 6FRWSniper
6172Aleksander Semyonov6020Low Top 9FLW/CGrinder
7204Topi Salminen4918Med BackupGHybrid
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Resign Phase

images

Entering the Resign Phase, the Hartford Whalers once again has supreme flexibility. GM Brant King would prefer the Playoffs, but if the option to Retool his roster after every season is a consolation prize, he'll take it. With $40.000M in Cap Space, and plenty of Roster turnover expected, it should be a very interesting and busy summer for the Whalers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Pavelski8336N/AC/RW2 way Forward81 GP
29G-26A-55P
+16 ... 14 PIM
(NHL)
2/$3.500MStill a big time producer
late into his career. 2 yr
term seems like a major
risk, but it kept cost lower.
Makes for speculation on
how big this summer's
plans are for GMBK.
Pierre Engvall7925Low Top 6FLW/C2 way Forward49 GP
6G-10A-15P
-1 ... 2 PIM
(NHL)
2/$0.975MWas solid in half a seasons
worth of time. Clock has run
out on him hitting his full
potential, but he's still
valuable on cheap deals as
such.
Valentin Zykov7626Med
Bottom 6F
RW/LWPower Forward82 GP
23G-19A-42P
+11 ... 50 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.800MWill challenge for NHL spot,
but not likely to make it.
Top end AHL player, and
every team needs them.
Tomas Hyka7528N/ARWPlaymaker82 GP
30G-25A-55P
-12 ... 15 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.900MAnother guy who could get
a look for 4th line role. If
not, he'll return to AHL to
wear an "A" and be his
elite AHL self.
Sahwn Lalonde7331N/ADOffensive
Defenseman
82 GP
4G-28A-32P
+9 ... 14 pIM
(AHL)
1/$0.800MAHL contract.
Kaiden Guhle7119Med Top 4DD2 way Defender70 GP
10G-41A-51P
+12 ... 25 PIM
(WHL)
3/$0.900M
(ELC)
Very promising defender
seems ready to make the
jump to the AHL after being
drafted in just 2020.
Raphael Lavoie6920Med Top 6FC/RWPower Forward68 GP
33G-52A-85P
+6 ... 8 PIM
(QMJHL)
3/$0.900M
(ELC)
Whalers aren't thrilled with
the speed of development
for Lavoie, but they need
he'd take time with his
build. Still a promising 1st
rounder from 2019, who
projects to be a 2nd line F.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RFA Defenseman Dillon Heatheringon was tendered a Qualifying Offer and remains under team control. He is, however, susceptible to an Offer Sheet.

F Joe Thornton, F Patrick Marleau, D Connor Carrick, D Mark Borowiecki, G Pekka Rinne and G Cory Schneider all were not offered contract extensions and allowed to walk to Free Agency.

AHL forwards Riley Barber and Marko Dano both chose to enter Free Agency with a desire to move elsewhere in their NHL attempts. AHL Starter Pheonix Copley once again elected to explore his options, but talks remain open.

Draft Picks Dylan Fawcett, Nikita Alexandrov and Jakob Frolov were all left unsigned.

Next Post: Free Agency and First Half 2021-2022 NHL Season

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

NHL 19 - Franchise Mode - Vancouver Canucks - 2022/2023 Playoffs

June 9, 2023

The Columbus Blue Jackets defeated the Dallas Stars in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals 5-1 yesterday evening to secure the first Stanley Cup victory in franchise history. Alexander Wennberg led the Blue Jackets in scoring with 9 goals and 22 points through 23 games while Sergei Bobrovsky won the Conn Smythe trophy as the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a 16-7 record, 5 shutouts, 0.935% Sv%, and 1.93 GAA.

June 20, 2023

The annual NHL awards were held last night in Las Vegas, Nevada. Dallas' Tyler Seguin took home the most prestigious hardware of the event, winning the Art Ross trophy and the Hart Memorial trophy as the league's leading scorer and most valuable player. Vancouver's Elias Pettersson was the only other multiple-award winner of the evening, winning the Frank J. Selke trophy and the Ted Lindsay award as the league's top defensive forward and the league's most outstanding player. This is the second consecutive year that Pettersson has won the Ted Lindsay award.

Minnesota's Matt Dumba was awarded his first James Norris Memorial trophy as the league's top defenseman, Detroit's 2022 1st overall pick, Kevin Gormley, took honours as the rookie of the year, and Anaheim's John Gibson was awarded the Vezina trophy as the league's best goaltender.

AwardWinner
Stanley CupColumbus Blue Jackets
Presidents' TrophyAnaheim Ducks (112)
Clarence S. Campbell BowlDallas Stars
Prince of Wales TrophyColumbus Blue Jackets
Art Ross TrophySeguin, Tyler (DAL, 91)
Hart Memorial TrophySeguin, Tyler (DAL)
James Norris Memorial TrophyDumba, Matt (MIN)
Lady Byng Memorial TrophyPastrnak, David (BOS)
Calder Memorial TrophyGormley, Kevin (DET)
Conn Smythe TrophyBobrovsky, Sergei (CBJ)
Vezina TrophyGibson, John (ANA)
William M. Jennings TrophySchneider, Cory (BOS, 194)
Bill Masterton Memorial TrophyMontour, Brandon (ANA)
Frank J. Selke TrophyPettersson, Elias (VAN)
Ted Lindsay AwardPettersson, Elias (VAN)
Maurice Richard TrophyLaine, Patrik (WPG, 44)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Prior to the awards ceremony was the annual NHL draft lottery. The Florida Panthers won the lottery, moving up 2 spots to select first overall. Calgary won the right to draft 2nd overall, moving up 6 spots. Arizona won the 3rd and final lottery position, moving up 2 spots in the process. The last overall New York Rangers and 30th overall Detroit Red Wings each fell 3 spots to the 4th and 5th overall draft positions.

American winger Devin Doherty is expected to go 1st overall on June 23. The 6'3" 193 lbs Doherty scored 31 goals and 87 points in 67 games in the USHL this season.

CS RankPlayerPositionTeam (League)
1Doherty, DevinRWUSA East
2Kim, MarkCOshawa Generals (OHL)
3Plekhanov, GustavsCRussia (Russia)
4Threlfall, RickDRed Deer Rebels (WHL)
5Barker, DrakeDSeattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
6Vigilante, ColtonRWHamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
7Zanetti, ElliotLWPorin Assat (Liiga)
8Dimitrakos, GrahamCAcadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)
9Alzner, ParkerDOshawa Generals (OHL)
10Zeiler, JesseCRimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
11Bellemare, SergeLWVictoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
12Viitaluoma, JukkaRWTurku TPS (Liiga)
13Bolduc, MarioDShawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
14Soderstrom, SvenLWBrynas IF (SHL)
15Crane, JaylinDMoncton Wildcats (QMJHL)
16Kolosov, MikhailDLatvia (Russia)
17Matsumoto, ToddLWKookoo Kouvola (Liiga)
18Gaudreau, DanielLWSaint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL)
19Muller, MatteoCFischtown Pinguins Bremerhaven (DEL)
20Almquist, FredrikRWFrolunda Indians (SHL)
21Maurer, IanLWNorth Bay Battalion (OHL)
22McDonald, WesDHC Lausanne (NLA)
23Simon, JamieCUSA Central
24Fitzpatrick, SteveLWRegina Pats (WHL)
25Chan, NathanaelDEverett Silvertips (WHL)
26Hamill, CadenCLondon Knights (OHL)
27Corso, EdwinRWVancouver Giants (WHL)
28Blouin, HugoLWVal-D'Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
29Blum, SpencerCVictoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
30McIntyre, BobbyRWKingston Frontenacs (OHL)
31Addison, AmritLWTampereen Ilvs (Liiga)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
June 22, 2023

The NHL announced the annual retirements yesterday, headlined by the Great 8, Alex Ovechkin. Ovechkin will go down in history as possibly the greatest goal scorer ever, scoring 835 goals in 1411 games, the 2nd most in history, trailing only The Great One, Wayne Gretzky. The 37-year-old Ovechkin scored 35 goals and 77 points this past season, leaving some to question why he would retire when he's so close to the record. His 1539 points also ranks 13th all-time. Ovechkin was drafted 1st overall by the Washington Capitals in 2004 and spent the first 16 seasons with the Capitals before signing with Boston in July 2021. Suffice to say that Ovechkin's trophy cabinet is stuffed to the brim with 9 Maurice Richard trophies, 2 Art Ross trophies, 4 Hart Memorial trophies, 3 Lester B Pearson/Ted Lindsay awards, 1 Conn Smythe trophy, 1 Calder Memorial trophy, and a Stanley Cup ring.

Boston lost 3 other key players to retirement as well: Patrice Bergeron, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, and David Krejci. Bergeron will likely go down as the greatest defensive forward in NHL history, having won the Frank J. Selke trophy 6 times over his career, twice more than any other player in history. Bergeron is also a two-time Stanley Cup champion and won the Art Ross trophy in 2020. Bergeron's outstanding defensive proficiency often overshadows his offensive gifts, as his 1065 career points often flies under the radar. Krejci also won two Stanley Cups with the Bruins and was a fixture of Boston's top 6 for a very long time. Vlasic will retire as an Olympic gold medal winner with Canada in 2014 and was a stalwart for the San Jose Sharks for over a decade before being traded to Boston just a few weeks after Boston won the Stanley Cup in 2021.

Jay Bouwmeester, best known for his ironman streak and effortless skating, retires with 1443 games played for Florida, Calgary, and St. Louis, spending his final year for the Calgary Flames.

Ryan Suter, the minute-munching defenseman for the Nashville Predators and Minnesota Wild, hangs up the skates after 1340 games with 574 career points.

Anaheim's long-serving captain Ryan Getzlaf retires with a Stanley Cup Ring, numerous Presidents' Trophies, and two Olympic gold medals to go with his 1137 career points.

Russian winger Ilya Kovalchuk also calls it quits after 1104 career NHL games. Kovalchuk scored 524 goals and 1059 points despite spending several seasons in Russia playing in the KHL. Kovalchuk won the Maurice Richard trophy in 2004.

Vancouver's Antoine Roussel opted for retirement after spending the past 2 seasons in the AHL. Roussel, a French native, is the highest-scoring NHL player in France's history with 205 career points.

PlayerGPGAP
Bouwmeester, Jay144392346438
Ovechkin, Alex14118357041539
Bergeron, Patrice13594236421065
Suter, Ryan1340100474574
Getzlaf, Ryan12443168211137
Vlasic, Marc-Edouard122173272345
Yandle, Keith1216129489618
Pavelski, Joe1154361455816
Krejci, David1132217516733
Kovalchuk, Ilya11045245351059
Cogliano, Andrew1063185241426
Goligoski, Alex102078320398
Giordano, Mark998136316452
Pouliot, Benoit864149166315
Letestu, Mark756121158279
Reaves, Ryan7386056116
Beagle, Jay7127696172
Pyatt, Tom6517191162
Roussel, Antoine650103102205
Beleskey, Matt5808693179
Sceviour, Colton5687197168
Matthias, Shawn5519084174
Raffl, Michael5068175156
Spaling, Nick4375272124
Desjardins, Andrew408234164
Butler, Chris394137184
Josefson, Jacob315204464
Prout, Dalton24263036
Smith, Ben237292554
Andersson, Joakim205152136
Wagner, Chris196171431
Carey, Paul169131730
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GoaltenderGPWSOSv%GAA
Ward, Cam7933683290.8%2.74
Rinne, Pekka7673976591.8%2.40
Crawford, Corey6813764991.9%2.39
Lehtonen, Kari6653133991.2%2.71
Mason, Steve4902083491.0%2.70
Talbot, Cam4462203091.6%2.55
Neuvirth, Michal3641611791.1%2.66
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: kinger8998

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
i do have to apologize, although i try to stick to realsim as much as possible i kind of made a double slip up this time...signed 2 elite players and although i tried to give fair salaries for both i got one on a really cheap deal that i shouldnt have. am still continuing this franchise, its been a really fun one for me, but wanted to give heads up apology

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

Free Agency & First Half 2021-2022 NHL Season

Free Agency

free-agent-frenzy.jpg

Duthie: Free Agency has just openened and we already have our first signings of the day here so let's get you caught up quickly and then highlight who's still out there.

images

McKenzie:
The Arizona Coyotes scored big time this year, signing two of the top defenders in Jonas Brodin and Colin Miller to long term contracts. Giving them competition for most active team, Boston and Pittsburgh signed three contracts each on the opening day of Free Agency. Heading to Boston are forwards Pontus Aberg (3 years), Adam Lowry (1 year) and Michael Ferland (2 years), while Pittsburgh signed defenseman Slater Koekkoek (2 years), as well as forwards David Perron (5 years) and Ryan Strome (2 years).

images

Miller: Not to be outdone, Chicago inked Vincent Trocheck to a 4 year contract, while always convincing defenseman Ben Chiarot to join the club (2 years). Other big names to sign today include veteran Jeff Carter to Vancouver (1 year), defenseman Mattias Ekholm to St. Louis (6 years), and Nazem Kadri to Vancouver (5 years).

images

Seravalli: Some former Whalers also joined new teams today with veteran forwards Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau each signing 1-year deals with St. Louis and Colorado respectively. Former assistant captain Alexander Steen also signed a 1-year contract with the Washington Capitals, while defenseman Connor Carrick joined him on his own 1-year deal. Ian Cole, who was with the Whalers for their inaugural season until the Trade Deadline, joined the Ottawa Senators on a 2-year contract.

images
images

Seravalli: Speaking of the Whalers, they've been busy today too, signing goaltenders Carter Hutton and Jon Gilles. Neither of them are considered among the League's elite, but they tried that with Rinne last year and it didn't work. That being said, Carter Hutton was arguably the best goaltender available, and Jon Gilles a fine platoon option.

They also inked 26-year old UFA Mark Jankowski to a 3-year contract. One of the youngest available UFA's the 6'4" forward should prove to be a valuable addition.

Ferraro: Jankowki was not resigned by the Flames after a second straight season of less than 30 points after he put up 37 in his rookie year. Should prove to be a value signing, but it's not what we were all expecting from the Whalers.

Button: No it isn't Ray. We are all expecting Hartford to sign an elite talent, and just as this Free Agency began, there are the same 2 remaining. Forward Filip Forsberg, 26, and defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen, 26, still remain available. Hartford has the space to sign both, but I'm not sure they do for Salary Cap reasons.

McLennan: Signing them both would leave them with approximately $8.000M in Cap Space for this year, but that's where the good news ends. At the end of this season, they have Keith Yandle, Nikita Scherbak, Carter Hutton

images
images
images

LeBrun: Breaking News coming in from Hartford's Twitter. They've acquired disgruntled star Matthew Barzal from the New York Islanders in a Blockbuster. Going the other was is Hartford's 2023 1st, 2020 1st Round Pick Justin Barron, and forwards Marcus Johansson and Cristiano Duffy.

Poulin: This was a very steep price to pay. Not saying it isn't worth it, but the Whalers now have exactly no first round picks over the next 2 Drafts, and just 1 pick inside the top 2 Rounds over that same span. Despite stockpiling up on what is now easily one of the top rosters in the League, they still lack the goaltending to make a true push. It's a tough position now.

Ward: Duffy looked like a player who was primed to come into his own this season. Last year, he just showed that he oozed potential to be a top tier, rare, power forward in today's NHL, and losing him is certainly painful. That being said, Barzal is a get.

images
images

Dreger: Hold on to your seats. Nothing is official, but there is serious smoke on Twitter after a local beat reporter has put out that the Hartford Whalers "are very close" to bringing both Filip Forsberg and Rasmus Ristolainen into the fold. Stay tuned.

Biron:
Any team that can list off their top 7 Players as P.K Subban, Rasmus Ristolainen, Alexander Nylander, Alexis LaFreniere, Matt Barzal, Filip Forsberg and Keith Yandle are a contender. This would rival what Tampa assembled before Vasilevskiy was stolen away.

O'Neill: Signing these two would make their roster very top heavy, very fast. It seems to be the way the NHL is trending, but thye should be very careful making sure they have enough room for LaFreniere's next contract.

Dreger: It's official, both on a 6-year term. Hartford just confirmed via Twitter.

McGuire: This changes the landscape of the NHL entirely. This is ground breaking.

Ferraro: Is Hartford now the best team in the NHL? I think they are. Even if the tandem of Hutton and Gilles provide league average goaltender, you'd have to think the offense along with Ristolainen, Subban and Yandle can carry this team.

Duthie: We want to hear from you fans? Head to TSN.ca/vote or vote on our Twitter poll on if you think that it's Boston, Calgary, Hartford, or another team that is the NHL's best. We'll be right back after a short break.

Filip Forsberg9126Med EliteLW6/$12.500M
Rasmus Ristolainen9026Med EliteD2 way Defender6/$7.500M
Matt Barzal8824Med EliteCPlaymaker4/$6.
Mark Jankowksi8126Med Top 6FCP3/$2.675M
Carter Hutton8135N/AGHybrid1/$3.500M
Jon Gillies8127N/AGHybrid2/$1.750M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Season Preview

images
images

In nets, the Hartford Whalers come into the season with a platoon scenario on their hands. While Hutton has been brilliant throughout his stops in Buffalo, Nashville and St. Louis, he has never been able to keep it up for a full season as a starter. That is why the Whalers other Free Agent signing, Jon Gillies, becomes so important. The 27-year old was once regarded as the Flames future starter, and Hartford hopes he can rekindle some of that potential.

images

Rasmus Ristolainen joins a Whalers defense corps that boasts one of the top top-3 groups in the League. Between Keith Yandle, PK Subban and Ristolainen himself, they have more than enough elite talent on the back end. The defense is filled out by defensive stalwarts Connor Murphy and David Savard, along with developing defenseman Dillon Heatherington, who accepted his Qualifying Offer.

images
images

Once again for Hartford, new faces are the headline of the offense. Like LaFreniere and Nylander last year, Forsberg and Barzal are going to be a central focus all season long as they come in with the expectations of being top offensive producers on an already stacked Hartford offense. Alexis LaFreniere and Nikita Scherbak bring the second wave with Joe Pavelski; while Ty Rattie, Anthony Duclair, Taylor Raddysh, Mark Jankowski, Kevin Fiala and Pierre Engvall bring the depth. Waiver claim Tomas Jurco is the teams depth forward.

LWCRW
Forsberg 91Barzal 88Nylander 89
LaFreniere 85Pavelski 82Scherbak 84
Fiala 81Jankowski 81Raddysh 83
Duclair 80Engvall 79Rattie 81
Jurco 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 84Ristolainen 90
Savard 81Subban 87
Heatherington 77Murphy 81
Harpur 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Gillies 81Hutton 81
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

First Half of Season

images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers top Sabres off of Gillies Heroics
Oct. 16th, 2021
Although Carter Hutton is being paid more, it was Jon Gillies who earned the start on opening night after a stellar preseason, and the confidence paid off. The 27-year old Free Agent Addition had a 47-save effort in his Whalers debut, as hsi club beat the Buffalo Sabres 4-1.

Nikita Scherbak had a goal and an assist in the game, while Matt Barzal (goal) and Rasmus Ristolainen (assits) both registered their first points as Whalers.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Forsberg scores, Pavelski injured in OTL to Leafs
Oct. 20th, 2021
The Hartford Whalers now sit 1-1-1 on the season, a modest record compared to what was expected of this team. They were expected to come running out of the gates, but have not been the offensive dynamo expected of them. Now, they are without Joe Pavelski for 2-3 games after he suffered a shoulder injury in the teams 4-3 loss to the Maple Leafs.

In other news, Filip Forsberg scored his first as a member of the Hartford Whalers in the loss.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Rattie, Subban lead rout of Preds
Oct. 23rd, 2021
Without captain Joe Pavelski, the Hartford Whalers trekked on with a rout of the lowly Nashville Predators, 8-2. Former Pred PK Subban has 2 goals and 2 assists in the win, but it was Ty Rattie who led the way with 5 points (1-4--5).

Filip Forsberg had 0 points in 19:08 of ice time.

Jon Gillies made 26/28 saves for the win.

images

BREAKING NEWS:
Whalers down League-Leading Canucks
Nov. 7th, 2021
Carter Hutton's 32 save shutout and Alexander Nylander's 3 point night (1-2--3) allowed the Hartford Whalers to upset the Vancouver Canucks 4-0. Vancouver came into this game with a daunting record of 7-1-3, while Hartford was 5-3-2. If they can build of of this victory, it becomes a statement, but if they can't, it will just be another bright spot in a disappointing season.

Joe Pavelski was injured in the win and will be out for 1-2 weeks. PK Subban also had a goal and an assist in the win.

images
images
BREAKING NEWS: Raddysh injured, Arthur Kaliyev recalled
Nov. 9th, 2021
With Taylor Raddysh being injured, star prsopect Arthur Kaliyev was recalled from the AHL. Raddysh will only be out for 1 or 2 games, but it is assumed that Kaliyev will stay with the NHL team until captain Joe Pavelski returns too, when the Whalers will make the decision to send Kaliyev back down.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Kaliyev scores 1st NHL goal
Nov. 13th, 2021
After Raddysh returned to his normal spot on the 3rd line LW, the other lines were shuffled. That ceratinly worked out for Kaliyev as he was aligned on the right side of lexis LaFreniere and Alexander Nylander.

With Joe Pavelski ready to return, the 20-year old has been reassigned to the minors. He has 1 point in 2 games played (1-0--1

images

BREAKING NEWS: Forsberg's 4-goal night lifts Whalers over Sharks
Nov. 18th, 2021
Filip Forsberg had his best game as a Whaler in a 6-3 win over the San Jose Sharks. It's still early in his tenure, but his 4-goal, 5-point effort earned his 1st star accolades in just his 17th game as a member of the Hartford Whalers. Linemate Matt Barzal also had himself a night, with 4 asssists.

Rasmus Ristolainen played a team-high 27:58. Carter Hutton made 20 saves in the win.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Nylander, Whalers stomp Bruins
Dec. 1st, 2021
Entering the 3rd month of the season, the Hartford Whalers have hit their stride. Despite the odd loss, like the 3-1 blip to the league-worst Minnesota Wild just 2 nights ago, the Whalers have scored at will and gotten on a roll. That roll resumed tonight off the back of a 2-goal performance from Alexis LaFreniere and a 4 assist night from Alexander Nylander.

Carter Hutton made 32 saves to win his 5th consecutive game, as he's taken control of the crease.

Just 23 games into the season, the Hartford Whalers sit 1st in the Atlantic Division with a record of 14-7-2.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Keith Yandle signs 1-year Extension with Whalers
Dec. 20th, 2021
Despite being in the midst of a down season, the 35-year old defenseman provides valuable leadership and expertise on the back end. Normally an offensive defenseman, the veteran has settled into a secondary role after the addition of Rasmus Ristolainen. Yandle has just 8 points in 31 games so far this season, but his pairing with Ristolainen has a combined +44 rating (Yandle is +21). The extension is valued at $4.500M.

images

22-14-511-5-211-9-33.20 (1st)2.56 (2nd)16.0% (31st)81.9% (28th)1st3rd10thYes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Carter Hutton10-8-2.9232.392
Jon Gillies12-6-3.9192.430
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:
A la Joonas Korpisalo and Cory Schneider in season 1 of this thing, the tandem or Carter Hutton and Jon Gillies are performing quite admirably to date. As close to evenly split as possible, the goalies are equally carrying the load that has left the Whalers at the top of the Atlantic Division at the halfway point for the first time in their history. This time the Whalers do seem certain for a Playoff birth.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
PK Subban4141519-816
Rasmus Ristolainen4131417+2244
Keith Yandle414711+190
Connor Murphy41178+1727
Dillon Heatherington41314+916
David Savard41101+116
//////////////////////////////
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:
Despite Hartford's league best offense, the defensemen have all struggled to put up points. It's a perplexing outcome, one that should correct itself over the last half of the season. The PP improving would likely help as it's incredible a team as good as the Whalers have the awful special teams that they have. David Savard is struggling through an awful contract year.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Alexis LaFreniere41132740+210
Alexander Nylander41112839+164
Matt Barzal41102434+913
Filip Forsberg41191433+525
Nikita Scherbak41151631+222
Taylor Raddysh4091827+1626
Ty Rattie4141822+210
Mark Jankowski4191221+1014
Joe Pavelski2841115+52
Kevin Fiala406511-62
Tomas Jurco213811+14
Pierre Engvall36549-50
Anthony Duclair15628+14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
TSN Says:
The 30-point club has been the driving force behind the Whalers run this season. The trade for Matt Barzal seem's like the Whalers have struck gold. After his Calder winning rookie season, the forward scored just 52, 50, and 48 in the following seasons. This year, he's back to being the Calder winner. Although they could use some more out of $12.5M man Filip Forsberg, he's not nearly the biggest of their few problems up front. That award goes to Kevin Fiala and Anthony Duclair, both who must see the writing on the wall. Although the lines have been shuffled often, the two have failed to produce in any roles and have seen themselves stapled to the 4th line over the past 15 games.

images

2020 2nd round pick Marek Bondra has caught the eye of the hockey world with his overall performance this season. Although he's not lighting up the scoresheet by any means, the forward has dazzle with his playmaking abilities. Just 19 years old, the centerman (77, Low Elite) seems primed to make the NHL jump next season.

More prominently known prospects Vitalii Abramov and Arthur Kaliyev share the team lead in points with 35. This is the second sonsecutive year that Abramov (75, 23, Med Top 6F) has been the team leader, so he must get a serious look next seaosn. Kaliyev (79, 20, Med Top 6F) already received a callup this season, and it is known that he will play in the NHL next year.

Next Post: Second Half 2021-2022 NHL Season

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

DoHrLKzVsAEbs8k.jpg

Second Half 2021-2022 NHL Season

Start of Second Half

** Lost Start of Post, nothing too important. Don't remember lines combos from Start of Game 42, but team had a 9 game win streak, followed by 2 straight loses **

images

BREAKING NEWS: Pavelski's 2 goals lift Whalers over Sabres
March 3rd, 2022
In the Hartford Whalers final game before the Trade Deadline, with a chance at 40 wins on the line, their captain came up huge. The 37-year old has had an injury riddled season, playing just 50 games, but has come up big when called upon. His play and role have seen steep decline's this season, but the team captain has not let that affect the mission this year: the Playoffs. He has one more year on his deal, but it is unknown on if he will play it out or not.
Carter Hutton made 35 saves for his 3rd shutout of the season.The 36-year old has a .927 SV% in 37 GP.

Trade Deadline

images
images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Hartford Whalers shake things up again at Trade Deadline
Trade Deadline Recap
In a move no one saw coming, the Hartford Whalers forked over yet another set of draft picks in a Trade. This time though, trading their 2023 2nd and 2024 3rd round pick was not most notable part of the deal, as they also sent PK Subban and prospects Vitalii Abramov to the Arizona Coyotes for star forward Clayton Keller, prospect Dman Josh Brook and a 4th round pick in 2022.

PK Subban was in just the first year of his new contract extension, but expressed his displeasure with being knocked down to the second pairing in favor of Rasmus Ristolainen. The defenseman submitted his official Trade Request just days before the Deadline. The former Norris Winner is in the midst of a puzzling season, where he leads the defense corps in scoring, but also has a team worst -8 rating.
Player morale was not an issue for Clayton Keller and the Arizona Coyotes. In fact, it was the opposite, as the Coyotes were fairly disappointed with the level of play of their 24-year old star, who has just 42 points in 63 games.

The addition of Keller is one that could potentially put a already flourishing offense over the top for Hartford. The team now has the ability to combine LaFreniere, Nylander, Forsberg, Barzal, Keller, and Scherbak within their top 6. That's not to mention Taylor Raddysh and Ty Rattie, both who have been outstanding this season.

GM Brant King called into TSN to discuss his only move:

Duthie: So your team has made one roster move?

King: Yes. PK is a very well respected guy not only in our room but around the league, so I felt if the return was worth it, I'd honor his request ASAP. Subs is going to have a chance to be back on a top pair with OEL, which gives Arizona a top duo.

Duthie: So this materialized pretty quickly...did you have a Plan A before this situation arose?

King: Not a trade plan no. I won't divulge much information but we were going to make a roster move, just not quite the magnitude of this.

Duthie: Interesting. I'll leave the media to speculate. Where is Keller going to start in the lineup?
King: We like him on the right of Barzal and Forsberg. That allows us to keep Nylander with LaFreniere and Scherbak, who have clicked pretty well when together. We feel real confident in our bottom-6 too, because Raddysh has been a beast this season and Jankowski and Rattie have been rocks on our third line all season. All this benefits the team because it allows Pavelski to slide down and center Fiala and Duclair, which benefits all 3 of them. It allows Pavs to have reduced minutes and stay fresh, while he brings out the best in two players who have had a rough go so far this season.

Duthie: Thanks for chatting Brant, good luck with the rest of your season.

King: Thanks James, talk to you July 1st.

LWCRW
Forsberg 91Keller 88Scherbak 85
LaFreniere 86Barzal 88Nylander 89
Raddysh 83Jankowski 81Rattie 81
Fiala 81Pavelski 79Duclair 80
Engvall 80Jurco 78
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 84Ristolainen 90
Savard 81Murphy 81
Heatherington 77Brook 77
Harpur 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1A1B
Hutton 82Gillies 82
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
images

BREAKING NEWS: Whalers lose third straight Post-Deadline
March 11th, 2022
The Hartford Whalers are experiencing their first prolonged slump of the season since the beginning, losing their 3rd straight game, It seems as though the decision to trade Subban may backfire for the club, as they've been outscoreed 11-6 during the losing streak.

Hartford, now 38-22-6, still sits 8th in the League and holds 2nd in the Atlantic.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Penguins embarrass Whalers in rout
March 22nd, 2022
Since the Trade Deadline, the Whalers have assembled a 3-game losing streak, a 4-game winning streaks, and gotten demolished on home ice by the Pens.

Alexis LaFreniere has 70 points in 72 games, and the top-6 is performing well, games just seem to be going to wrong way for Hartford.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Forsberg helps Hartford clinch Playoffs
April 4th, 2022
The Hartford Whalers will finally participate in the Stanley Cup Playoffs after 2 years of close calls and 1 year of dreadful pain. Free Agent signing Filip Forsberg was integral in the clinching, as he posted 2 goals and 1 assist in a 4-1 win.

images

47-28-726-11-421-17-33.00 (10th)2.50 (T-6th)18.5% (25th)82.5% (9th)1st4ththYes
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

images
images

GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Carter Hutton23-15-2.9252.282
Jon Gillies24-13-5.9192.491
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:
Jon Gillies carried the slight edge in starts, but Carter Hutton had the advantage in stats. It would have been likely that Hutton got the nod first in the Playoffs, but in light of his injury, Hartford will have nothing to be afraid of in turning to Gilllies. Gillies has one more year remaining on his current contract while Hutton is a UFA.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Rasmus Ristolainen8262632+4373
Keith Yandle82102131+438
Connor Murphy8241620+1147
Dillon Heatherington82325+632
David Savard77224-726
Josh Brook13101-64
Ben Harpur16000-610
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

None of the star defenseman the Whalers have lit up the scoreboard, and it seems those days are over for Mr. Yandle. The exiled Subban has not had more than 50 points in any of the last 3 years, while Keith Yandle, although spectacular defensively with Ristolainen, posted career worst offensive totals. Dillon Heatherington and Connor Murphy were incredible while Savard disappointed and was supplanted by Harpur for the final 5 games.

images

PlayerGPGAP+/-PIM
Alexis LaFreniere82274875+262
Alexander Nylander79195473+2110
Filip Forsberg82353267+1449
Matt Barzal82194564+1419
Clayton Keller82173855-114
Nikita Scherbak82242852+2912
Taylor Raddysh81183048+1548
Joe Pavelski69152237+916
Ty Rattie8262632+212
Mark Jankowski72102131+728
Kevin Fiala80121224-24
Tomas Jurco5851318-56
Pierre Engvall508614-62
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TSN Says:

While the clear cut top-6 group performed admirably, the Whalers can't help but want more from Filip Forsberg, the most expensive player on the team. His 35 goals are impressive, but more can - and should - be expected for $12.5M. Their depth will still be there come playoffs, but their young stars are going to really be the ones getting tested.

Playoffs

images

The First Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs brings the 1st WC Capitals over to the Atlantic Bracket. While the Presidents' Trophy winning Penguins (117 PTS) get the 2nd WC, that left the Atlantic winning Whalers with the 1st. It will be no easy task to take down Washington, as they boast an elite goalie in Braden Holtby, and a potent offensive attack headlined by none other than Alexander Ovechkin.

Despite the Regular Season success, the Whalers managed to go just 1-1 against the Capitals, while tying the Goal Differential 5-5.

LWCRW
Keller 88Barzal 88Nylander 89
Forsberg 91LaFreniere 86Scherbak 85
Raddysh 83Jankowski 81Rattie 81
Fiala 81Pavelski 79Jurco 78
Engvall 80Duclair 80
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Yandle 84Ristolainen 90
Heatherington 77Savard 81
Harpur 77Murphy 81
Brook 77
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
StarterBackup
Gillies 82Vladar 76
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
First Round vs. Capitals
GameScoreHFD GoalsGoalie StatsNotes
14-3 WSH
(OT)
Raddysh (1), Nylander (1), Scherbak (1)Gillies
(.867 SV%)(3.82 GAA)
Ovechkin with the GWG.
24-2 HFDRattie (1,2), Barzal (1), Keller (1)Gillies
(.926 SV%)(2.00 GAA)
First Playoff Win in HFD
history, courtesy of Ty
Rattie.
35-4 HFDFiala (1), Yandle (1), Nylander (2),
LaFreniere (1), Barzal (2)
Gillies
(.862 SV%)(4.00 GAA)
Most entertaining game of
series so far, Hartford leads
for first time.
44-0 HFDLaFreniere (2), Jurco (1), Barzal (3),
Keller (2)
Gillies
(1.000 SV%)(0.00 GAA)
HFD takes strenglehold on
series, w chance to move on
@ home
56-2 WSHKeller (3), Rattie (3)Gillies
(.872 SV%)(6.00 GAA)
Caps come up clutch, keep
season alive. Experience shows.
Murphy injured, out LT.
Hutton returns, will back up
Gillies for Game 6.
64-2 HFDBarzal (4), Rattie (4), Yandle (2),
Raddysh (2)
Gillies
(.944 SV%)(2.00 GAA)
HARTFORD IS MOVING ONTO
THE SECOND ROUND!!!
//////////////////
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Series Recap
It wasn't easy, but the Hartford Whalers have won their first Playoff Round in Franchise History. They have their top line of Matt Barzal, Clayton Keller and Alexander Nylander along with Mark Jankowski to thank, who combined for 30 points. Jon Gillies didn't have a great series by any means, but he got the job done. He will start Round 2 but with Carter Hutton back the Whalers have a backup option. Murphy will miss atleast 1 more week, with an expected return of early May. Josh Brook takes hit spot in the lineup.

images

The Whalers really struggled with the Maple Leafs this season, going 0-3 against their Division Rivals, which does not bode well for their continued success in these playoffs. The big story is brother vs brother as Alexander (Hartford) takes on William (Toronto) in a 7 Game Second Round Series.

Goaltending is not a strong suit of either club (Gillies/Hutton for HFD; Grubauer for TOR), so the series could prove to be another high scoring affair for Hartford.

The X-Factor for the Whalers is the production of Alexis LaFreniere, who was -3 and posted a stat line of 2-1--3 in the 6 Game 1st Round (the first 6 games of his Playoff Career).

Second Round vs Maple Leafs

14-3 HFD
(OT)
Forsberg (1,2), Raddysh (3), LaFreniere (3)Gillies
(.919 SV%)(2.67 GAA)
X-Factor showed up for HFD.
24-2 HFDNylander (3,4,5), Fiala (2)Gillies
(.925 SV%)(2.00 GAA)
Advantage Alexander,
Advantage Hartford.
32-1 HFDLaFreniere (4), Pavelski (1)Gillies
(.967 SV%)(1.00 GAA)
Hartford up 3-0 in shocking
outcome, chance to sweep with
Murphy returning
44-2 TORYandle (3), Rattie (4)Gillies
(.895 SV%)(4.08 GAA)
Jankowski injured, will miss
Game 5
54-1 HFDPavelski (2), Yandle (4), Forsberg (3),
Jurco (2)
Gillies
(.973 SV%)(1.00 GAA)
HARTFORD IS HEADING TO
THE CONFERENCE FINALS!!!
//////////////////
//////////////////
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Series Recap
In a turn of events no one could have forseen, Jon Gillies was the MVP for Hartford. He didn't do it alone, as Alexis LaFreniere, Filip Forsberg and Nikita Scherbak awoke to provide most of the offense in this one. Matt Barzal still leads the team in points with 13, while Alexander Nylander leads the club with 5 goals.

images

Once upon a time these two teams played in the "Cooperall Game". Now, here they are in the Conference Finals. One is vying for their first Stanley Cup Finals appearance of their existence, the other looking to return for the first time sine 2010.

The Flyers are led by top offensive quintet of Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, Nolan Patrick, Sean Couturier and Quinton Byfield and goaltender Carter Hart. In the middle lies the defensive corps led by Shayne Gostisbehere, Jake Gardiner and Ivan Provorov.

The top-7 of Nylander, Barzal, Keller, LaFreniere, Forsberg, Scherbak and Raddysh trump even the Flyers elite group. While their defensive unit lags behind, they have received good enough goaltending from Jon Gillies to have confidence in their chances.

The X-Factor for the Whalers is Jon Gillies. If they get the Gillies from the First Round, they could abruptly come to a halt; but if they get Second Round Gillies, Hartford may just see their pursuit of happiness continue.

Conference Finals vs Flyers

13-1 HFDBarzal (5), Jurco (3), LaFreniere (5)Gillies
(.966 SV%)(1.00 GAA)
HFD starts of strong with Game 1 win.
24-3 HFDLaFreniere (6), Forsberg (4), Jurc0 (4),
Rattie (5)
Gillies
(.900 SV%)(3.00 GAA)
Close call as PHI scored 2 in third,
but 4-1 cushion held strong.
33-1 PHIForsberg (5)Gillies
(.897 SV%)(3.05 GAA)
Still have a 2-1 series lead.
45-1 PHIRistolainen (1)Gillies
(.886 SV%)(4.11 GAA)
Whalers goal scoring drys up away
from home, hope for it to come back
in Game 5.
52-1 PHI
(OT)
Forsberg (7)Gillies
(.945 SV%)(1.70 GAA)
Offensive line changes with backs
against wall.
Fiala injured, out series.
63-2 HFD
(OT)
Jurco (5), Rattie (6), Yandle (5)Gillies
(.947 SV%)(1.93 GAA)
YANDLE IN OVERTIME!!! AND THIS
SERIES IS HEADED TO A GAME 7!
David Savard injured, out until June 8th.
74-1 HFDBarzal (6), Forsberg (6,7), Nylander (6)Gillies
(.972 SV%)(1.43 GAA)
The Hartford Whalers, in their first
Playoff Appearance, are headed to the
Stanley Cup Finals.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Series Recap
Jon Gillies pulled through when it mattered most for the Whalers, posting 35 saves on 36 shots in Game 7 while his team managed to compile just 26. Filip Forsberg lifted his weight though, with 2 goals and 4 points in the deciding game. The $12.5 million dollar man now has 17 points in 18 games, which paces the Whalers.
Tomas Jurco was also incredible for the Whalers, as he scored 3 goals in the series and is up to 7 points in these Playoffs.

images

Connor McDavid meet Stanley Cup Finals, Stanley Cup Finals meet Connor McDavid. The game's best player has not been this far yet, and now that he is. he won't be an easy out. He's backed up by Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jesse Puljujarvi - now that the 3rd has put it all together. Their defense does not lag behind, as they boast a deep backend including Evan Bouchard, Cody Ceci and Oscar Klefbom. For most of the first three rounds, they were without elite defender Darnell Nurse, but the big body has returned and is ready to help cap off what has been an incredible Playoff Run.

On the flip side, the Hartford Whalers unfathomably boast a better forward corps, with their own rising star in Alexis LaFreniere, thought to eventually challenge McDavid for his "Best Player" title. He's not there yet, but the Whalers have surrounded him with a better supporting cast. They don't boast the same defense, which has been their perceived weakness all season, but Jon Gillies has held down the fort.

The X-Factor in this matchup will be goaltending. Jon Gillies has given more than the team could have asked for in these Playoffs, but the job isn't over yet. He lines up against Tyler Parsons, the first year starter of the Oilers.

In the Regular Season, the two teams faced off twice, splitting the series. Hartford held the advantage in goal differential, 8-5.

Stanley Cup Finals vs Oilers

12-1 HFD
(2OT)
Barzal (7), Yandle (6)Gillies
(.977 SV%)(0.72 GAA)
In the most intesne game of the Season
for HFD, Gillies and #ClutchKeith came
up huge in a Double OT victory.
22-1 EDM
(OT)
Jurco (6)Gillies
(.942 SV%)(1.96 GAA)
EDM returns favor with overtime win of
their own. Tied game late in 3rd.
Series heads back to Hartford.
34-1 HFDLaFreniere (7), Barzal (8), Keller (4,5)Gillies
(.972 SV%)(1.00 GAA)
HFD outshot 36-22 in this one, the 3rd
game of 3 they've been outshot.
Lucky big guns brought their ammo.
43-1 HFDScherbak (2), Jurco (7), LaFreniere (8)Gillies
(.976 SV%)(1.00 GAA)
Oilers pepper Gillies with 42 shots,
Whalers fire just 23. Hartford needs to
close before dam breaks and flood gates
open.
54-1 HFDMurphy (1), Jurco (8), Forsberg (9),
Rattie (7)
Gillies
(.964 SV%)(1.46 GAA)
THE HARTFORD WHALERS HAVE WON
THE STANLEY CUP!!!
//////////////////
//////////////////
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Playoff Recap

images

Jon Gillies took home the Conn Smythe deservedly for the Whalers, as he stole Hartford's first 3 wins of the Stanley Cup Finals, after he had performed spectacularly in getting them there. Joe Pavelski finally won his Stanley Cup, and took his chance after the game to announce his retirement from the NHL. Perhaps the most icnredible feat of the Playoffs was that the team held Connor McDavid to just 1 point in the 5 game series, while keeping Edmonton to just 6 goals.

PlayerPositionGPGAP+/-PIM
Matt BarzalC2381523+70
Clayton KellerF2361420+52
Filip ForsbergLW2391019+518
Alexis LaFreniereLW/C2381018+100
Alexander NylanderRW/LW2361218+74
Taylor RaddyshLW/RW2331114+74
Keith Yandle D236713+72
Mark JankowskiC2201212E10
Tomas JurcoRW/LW238210+28
Ty Rattie2323729-10
Joe PavelskiC/RW23257+20
Rasmus RistolainenD23167+318
Nikita ScherbakLW/RW23246-12
David SavardD17055+814
Connor MurphyD19123+26
Josh BrookD10022+50
Pierre EngvallLW/C10011+12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GoalieRecordSV%GAASO
Jon Gillies16-4-3.9352.211
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Start of Offseason

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Thornton, Chara, biggest names to Retire this Offseason
NHL Offseason News
After being the 1st overall pick in 1997 and racking up 1566 NHL points, Joe Thornton has called it a career. His 1132 career assists leaves him 7th overall in that category, while his 1566 NHL points place him 12th. What a career.

Former Whalers defenseman Zdeno Chara, better known for his days as a Bruin, has also called it quits. The hulking 45-year old defenseman played in 1741 games, which is good for 5th all time on the list. He was drafted in the 3rd round, 56th overall in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

Also announcing their retirements are Eric Staal (1414 GP), Ilya Kovalchuk (1140 GP), Jason Spezza (1146 GP), Corey Perry (1165 GP), Marian Gaborik (1236 GP), Thomas Vanek (1199 GP), Justin Williams (1406 GP), Paul Stastny (1089 GP), Dustin Brown (1368 GP), Michael Cammalleri (1016 GP), Alexander Edler (1007 GP) Jay Bouwmeester (1213 GP), Nicklas Kronwall (1077 GP), Valtteri Filppula (1033 GP), Mike Green (1041 GP), Andrew Ladd (1116 GP), Dan Girardi (1051 GP) and Loui Eriksson (1086 GP).

images

BREAKING NEWS: Roberto Luongo finishes Illustrious Career
NHL Offseason News
The 43-year old tender played in 1221 games (2nd), won 570 games (2nd), and posted 88 shutouts along the way (4th). Playing for the New York Islanders, Florida Panthers and Vancouver Canucks throughout his career, the goaltender posted a .917 career SV%, which is good for T-6th among all goalies with 600+ games.

NHL Entry Draft

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Knights and Whalers complete Trade of Pending RFA's
NHL Entry Draft
Although the Hartford Whalers are coming off a Stanley Cup Win, apparently GMBK is still unsatisfied with sitting on his hands. In a trade between the tow newest NHL Franchises, the Golden Knights acquire a 20-goal, 50-point scorer, while the Whalers get a young defenseman who can round out their top-4 defense group.

images
images

BREAKING NEWS: Hartford acquire Fehervary, Pick for Fiala
NHL Entry Draft
After just a season and 1/4 in Hartford, winger Kevin Fiala has been exiled. The forward never fit with the Whalers, so they traded him for someone who would fit. Martin Fehevary, after playign last season in the minors, will get his NHL chance at age 22 with the Whalers. They also acquire a 3rd round pick in today's NHL Entry Draft, while the Rangers get Fiala's RFA rights.

388Matyas Blatny5318Low EliteD2 way Defender
3 96 Ulf Modin60 18 Med 7th D DDefensive Defenseman
4128Sergei Malakhov5420Med 7th DDOffensive Defenseman
5160Alexandre Begin4718Med FranchiseGHybrid
6192Cam Hilbert4918Low EliteLWPower Forward
7224Jaime Montgomery5017Med Bottom 6FLW2 way Forward
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Resign Phase

images

Looking like they could be in a jam for the first time ever, Hartford Whalers GM Brant King will have to be creative this Resign Phase. Entering with around $15.000M dollars, King has RFA's Taylor Raddysh and Kevin Fiala, as well as UFA's Carter Hutton, Tomas Jurco, Dillon Heatherington, Ben Harpur and David Savard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player
OVR
Position
Player Type
Stats
Years/AAV
TSN Says:
Taylor Raddysh
Med Top 6F
RW/LW
Power Forward
81 GP
18G-35A-53P
+21 ... 48 PIM
(NHL)
5/$6.000M
This deal buys a few years of
UFA status from Raddysh,
hence the higher price tag.
The forward broke out last
season, and should see an
increase in production with
a top-6 wing position in his
name.
Nic Hague
N/A
D
Defensive
Defenseman
82 GP
6G-6A-12P
+17 ... 30 PIM
(NHL)
3/$0.975M
Soild acquisition, even if it
meant sacrificing a solid
top-6 winger to get him.
Shores up LHD depth.
Tomas Jurco
N/A
RW/LW
Sniper
23 GP
8G-2A-10P
+2 ... 8 PIM
(NHL)
(Playoffs)
1/$1.000M
Was incredible for HFD in
the Playoffs. Very valuable
depth on a cheap deal.
Cameron Hebig
Low Top 9F
C
Playmaker
68 GP
9G-36A-45P
-11 ... 6 PIM
(AHL)
2/$0.800M
Joined NS a week into season
and fit nicely in 2C role.
Outside shot at 4th line job.
Rhett Rhinehart
Med Top 6D
D
2 way Defender
68 GP
15G-57A-72P
+11 ... 19 PIM
(WHL)
3/$0.850M
(ELC)
After posting just 11 points in
his 3rd year in Junior, HFD
was not going to offer the
2020 2nd round pick a
contract. But, after breaking
out big time in his overage
year, he earned himself a shot
Pekka Santala
Med Elite
LW
2 way Forward
57 GP
4G-9A-13P
+3 ... 15 PIM
(Liiga)
3/$0.900M
(ELC)
Finnish forward more than
doubled his production in
the Men's League in Finland
as a 20-year old. 2020 4th
rounder could have a very
bright future ahead.
Ville Viuhkola
Med Starter
G
Hybrid
40 GP
25-7-4
.898 SV%
3.10 GAA
3 SO (Liiga)
3/$0.875M
(ELC)
Could be a future starter.
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

RFA
Riley Stillman was tendered QO and remains team property.

Defensemen Frank Corrado and John Gilmour were signed to AHL level deals. Goaltender Zach Fucale was also resigned to be the starter in the AHL.

UFA's Carter Hutton, Dillon Heatherington, David Savard, D, and Ben Harpur walked to Free Agency. While dialogue remains open with Savard and Harpur, Heatehrington elected to enter Free Agency and would not consider an extension. Carter Hutton was not offered a contract by management.

Free Agency

free-agent-frenzy.jpg

Duthie: Welcome to the NHL Trade DeadlineAfter a season in which the Hartford Whalers were one of the Regular Season's best teams, but got upset in "embarrassing fashion", GMBK vowed changes. The NHL Entry Draft yielded none, and the Resign Phase saw them lose their starting goalie, so are they really any better off? Let's take you to Whalers Beat Frank Seravalli to get updates.

Seravalli: The Whalers were predicted to be heavily into the goaltending market this eyar, but Jon Gillies playoff performance has made them back off. They're content with going into the season with a duo of Gillies and Daniel Vladar, who stole the AHL starting position from Zach Fucale last season. Also, considering GM Brant King's post Draft comments, he's very high on French netminder of the Halifax Mooseheads Alexandre Begin, their 5th round Draft Pick.

Despite having already acquired Nic Hague and Martin Fehevary, the Whalers are still expected to be in on the defensive market this year. Keep in mind they need to start alotting for the big contract Alexis LaFreniere will be due, so don't expect any extravagant spending.

Just another note on their forward depth. GMBK is very fond of July 1st trades, so I would not be shocked to see him make a move today. He's got a lot of forwards, and a need for defense.

Duthie: Now Craig, what players can bring that in the role that Hartford wants?

Craig: Well, for their defensive needs, there is a plethora of D-men in the pool this year. Steve Santini, Mark Pysyk, Jamie Oleksiak, Nicolas Meloche, Markus Niemelainen and Will Butcher represent just a few of them. Oscar Klefbom is likely a tad expensive for their taste.

If we're thinking about their desire for some grit, they have Connor Konz in the minors, who is a chippy youngster. But it is Free Agency, so options outside the organization include James van Riemsdyk, Josh Andersen, Cedric Paquette, Milan Lucic and Kyle Clifford. All of those guys will do the dirty work and open up space for the other players, something GMBK has hinted to wanting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

LeBrun: Former Minnesota Wild 1st Round pick Joel Eriksson Ek has accepted an Offer Sheet presented to him by the Whalers. It represents the 2nd RFA that Brant King has poached from another team since he became GM. Minnesota has grown tired of Eriksson Ek's lack of production and will likely take the 3rd as compensation.

Poulin: Not exactly what I'd call a chippy player, but a good add nonetheless.

Biron: Ek just brings some more depth to a Hartford team that relied so heavily on it last season. Don't think he fits as a center with Mark Jankowski pencilled in as #3, but only time will tell.

images
images

Miller: Cedric Paquette will join the Hartford Whalers on a 1-year deal. They've also signed former top prospect Nicolas Meloche (D) to a 1-year contract.

O'Neill: Paquette adds an element that Hartford just didn't have. He's got a chip on his shoulder and isn't afraid to get dirty. I like what he brings to the table.

McGuire: Meloche represents a defenseman that will likely serve as depth, but is young enough to show he's got a little extra to give. 0 risk, non-zero potential to be a reward. Smart signing for a Cup winning team that clearly just wants to cross the T's and dot the i's.

images
images

Dreger: GM Brant King has struck another July 1st Trade. He's sent Ty Rattie to the Los Angeles Kings for Joel Armia.

Ferraro: This brings some sandpaper to the bottom-6 that Hartford didn't really have. For a team that just won a Cup, lot's of retooling is going on here. Interesting.

McLennan: Rattie was coming off of his worst season in Hartford, and King is never a guy who likes to sit around. He has built a core group, and now he's tinkering around the edges.

Ward: Did he really need to though? They just won the Stanley Cup! Let the same group come back for another crack at it.

McGuire: Their captain, Joe Pavelski reitred, and David Savard decided he wanted out. Trading Kevn Fiala was a smart move, because they won in spite of his poor play.

Duthie: Is this a better version of the Whalers looking to repeat?

Ferraro: It is James. 100%. They have a bit of grit, and they've retooled their defense to be improved in front of Jon Gillies, who gets his chance as a full-time starter.

Poulin: I'd have to agree. It's hard to argue if they're better when they're missing Nikita Scherbak, who had a 50 point season, but they will have to rely on prospects Marek Bondra and Arthur Kaliyev.

O'Neill: James, it is a better Hartford team. That being said, they're not my Cup choice.

McGuire: They're not my Cup choice either, but they're my pick coming out of the East with an improved Alexis LaFreniere.

Duthie: Now we have Brant King on the line to talk about his moves today:

Duthie: Brant, you're coming off of a Cup win, was it in your mindset to just tinker with the edges and not shake anything up too much.

King: Yeah for sure. We don't feel we need much more, especially with our young core still improving and seeing influxes of exciting players in Bondra and Kaliyev.

Duthie: Defense seems to have been the focal point of your operation this season. Any comments?
King: You could say that. Obviously we are happy with the defense in the way that you can't complain when you win the Stanley Cup, but 100% we saw it as an area we could improve. It's always tough when you're trading away a 20-goal scorer in a guy like Scher, but we felt that getting Hague while he was available was a top priority.

Duthie: Always insightful Brant. Appreciate your time.

King: Always glad to chat James. Talk soon.

Joel Eriksson Ek7925Med Top 6FC/LWSniper26 GP
0G-3A-3P
-13 ... 4 PIM
(NHL)
2/$1.750M
Martin Fehevary7822Med Top 6DD2 way Defender76 GP
9G-23A-32P
+20 ... 42 PIM
(AHL)
1/$1.080M
Cedric Paquette7829N/ALW/CGrinder53 GP
6G-4A-10P
-7 ... 54 PIM
(NHL)
1/$1.500M
Nicolas Meloche7825Med Top 6DD2 way Defender11 GP
1G-0A-1P
-4 ... 6 PIM
(NHL)
1/$0.975M
Joel Armia7929N/ARW2 way Forward82 GP
16G-14A-30P
-8 ... 16 PIM
(NHL)
2/$1.625M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next Post: First Half of 2022-2023 NHL Season

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Started a fantasy draft franchise and got Gibson @ like roughly 40th overall.... you get a year @ 3.5m and then 8 years @ 6.4m... Honestly I don't think there's a more valuable player for a long-term franchise in this game than him. Getting your young franchise goalie is priceless but at that contract and where I drafted him is absolutely insane.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
How do I trade draft picks BEFORE a franchise?

Trying to get these trades in right now as I just edited all my rosters. But can't seem to figure out how to get like a 1st to Columbus for Duchene for instance

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
How quickly does EA usually get the TDL roster update out? I assume not very quickly.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I'm gonna try to go all 25 years on this one. I won't say which team I'm controlling and will actually not pull too many moves of my own. I'll play sorta ''commissionner mode'' and watch how the league is doing. I will mainly follow top-10 draft picks, teams going far in the playoffs and top scorers. I will try to report on big trades and the likes. I'll try to keep each post short. I'll update twice a year, with a mid-season report, and then end of the year + off-season report.

2018-19 MIDWAY POINT

No major trades or signings to report

Couple of surprises in the standings with LA leading the way, Arizona and Vancouver also pretty high. Ottawa not doing too bad at 15th overall. Dissapointing seasons so far for Winnipeg, Toronto, and Washington. Rangers are dead last.

RANKTEAMGPPTS
1Los Angeles4156
2Vegas4353
3Pittsburgh3951
4Tampa Bay4051
5Boston4051
6Arizona3950
7Vancouver4250
8Nashville4149
9Florida3848
10Minnesota3847
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kane leads the way on the scoring chart with his linemate DeBrincat not too far behind. 3 Penguins are on as well as 2 defensemen in the top-10. Malkin already has 30 goals, follow by Ovechkin at 25 and Patty Kane at 24. Ovechkin and Crosby both have 36 points, McDavid 34.

Among the rookies, Elias Pettersson has 32 pts so far, Colin White 26 and Casey Mittelstadt 23. Other interesting names: Kotkaniemi 21 pts, Tkachuk 19, Svechnikov 17 and Dahlin 13.

RANKPLAYERGPPTS
1Patrick Kane (CHI)4252
2Evgeni Malkin (PIT)3947
3Alex DeBrincat (CHI)4247
4Nathan MacKinnon (COL)4044
5Erik Karlsson (SJ)4144
6Kris Letang (PIT)3941
7Phil Kessel (PIT)3940
8Claude Giroux (PHI)3940
9Tyler Seguin (DAL)4039
10Brock Boeser (VAN)4238
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
2018-19 SEASON REVIEW

-Islanders deal Leo Komarov to Arizona for 4th round pick
-Vegas deals Malcolm Subban to Rangers for Neal Pionk
-Arizona deals Brad Richardson to Carolina for 3rd round pick
-Arizona deals Michael Grabner to Nashville for 3rd and 4th round picks
-Rangers deal Kevin Hayes to San Jose for Jeremy Roy and 2nd round pick
-Carolina deals Justin Williams and Micheal Ferland to Florida for 1st round pick and 2nd round pick
-Montreal deals Jordie Benn to Toronto for 3rd round pick

Despite early season success Vancouver ends up missing the playoffs, and Florida misses the playoffs despite paying for Williand and Ferland, but Carolina makes it! Reigning Stanley Cup champs Washington will try to defend their honors. McDavid's Oilers just barely miss the playoffs with 91 pts, whereas Toronto and Winning both also miss. Islanders and Rangers finnish dead last with 71 pts.

PAC#1 Los Angeles vs WC Vegas
CEN#1 Nashville vs WC San Jose
Minnesota vs Chicago
Arizona vs Anaheim

ATL#1 Tampa Bay vs WC Washington
MET#1 Pittsburgh vs WC Philadelphia
Columbus vs Carolina
Boston vs Buffalo

RANKPLAYERGPPTS
1Phil Kessel (PIT)8291
2Patrick Kane (CHI)8290
3Sidney Crosby (PIT)8286
4Evgeni Malkin (PIT)8184
5Claude Giroux (PHI)8278
6Connor McDavid (EDM)8277
7Alex DeBrincat (CHI)8177
8Nathan MacKinnon (COL)8276
9Oliver Ekman-Larsson (ARZ)8276
10Tyler Seguin (DAL)8075
11Jakub Voracek (PHI)7775
12Patrik Laine (WIN)8274
13Joe Pavelski (SJ)8074
14Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)8273
15Nikita Kucherov (TB)8273
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What a year for Pittsburgh's offense as well as Chicago's Kane/DeBrincat duo. Eichel and Matthews both finnish with 65 pts, and Ovechkin got injured and only played 45 games total. Meanwhile Colin White and Elias Pettersson finnish head-to-head with 55 pts for the rookie lead, followed by Mittelstadt at 47, Svechnikov 44 and Andreas Johnsson 40. Tkachuk had 38, Kotkaniemi 36 and Dahlin 27.

2019 NHL PLAYOFFS

All division leaders are upset aside from Pittsburgh, the second round is as follows: Chicago/San Jose, Anaheim/Vegas and Pittsburgh/Carolina, Boston/Washington

Pittsburgh moves on and will play Boston who beat the Stanley Cup champs Washington in 5 games. Anaheim beats Vegas and finds Chicago waiting for them in the WCF.

Anaheim sweeps Chicago and Boston upsets Pittsburgh. Both team's line-up for the finals:

ANA
Rakell-Getzlaf-Silfverberg
Kase-Henrique-Sprong
Ritchie-Shore-Perry
Gibbons-Kesler-Eaves

Lindholm-Montour
Fowler-Manson
DelZotto-Sustr

Gibson-Miller

BOS
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato