Confirmed with Link: Francesco Aquilini gives his thoughts on the season

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Actually, those who know him (or knew him) suggest Frankie is a lot like Sonny Corleone. Very much a hot head like that.

Does Aquilini have the big character flaw of thinking he’s the smartest person in the room? I have no idea what he’s really like, but I get he thinks he’s smarter than others, so he gets too involved in things he really shouldn’t.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think we win the Cup if Hamhuis doesn’t get hurt checking Lucic. However, I don’t see Hamhuis as a core piece on that team. He was a key piece, but not core.
I see core as:
Goalie...Lou
Number one center...Hank
Checking center PK guy...Kesler
Top scoring play driving winger...Danny
Elite scoring PP Dman...Errhoff
Shut down PP,PK, and minute munching D man...Edler

The rest of the players are all key to success, but are more easily changed than the core pieces. IMO, of course.
Sorry, that's ridiculous.

Ehrhoff and Edler were the 2nd pair offensive guys.

Matchup D IMO are much more valuable than offensive defensman. Edler was the most valuable asset, but Hamhuis was the top defender on the team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sorry, that's ridiculous.

Ehrhoff and Edler were the 2nd pair offensive guys.

Matchup D IMO are much more valuable than offensive defensman. Edler was the most valuable asset, but Hamhuis was the top defender on the team.

So how do you rank Hamhuis as a core guy if Errhoff is our top offensive D man, and Edler is our top all round D man? Do we disagree on the definition of core pieces?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So how do you rank Hamhuis as a core guy if Errhoff is our top offensive D man, and Edler is our top all round D man? Do we disagree on the definition of core pieces?
I guess so. When they let Ehrhoff walk after that season, the PP still ticked along, and Bieksa was able to put up 40+ points in the same usage. Ehrhoff was a luxury piece, Hamhuis was the guy out over the boards every time the other teams 1st line came out.

You think the guys who played all the offensive situations are more valuable than the matchup guys, I disagree.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess so. When they let Ehrhoff walk after that season, the PP still ticked along, and Bieksa was able to put up 40+ points in the same usage. Ehrhoff was a luxury piece, Hamhuis was the guy out over the boards every time the other teams 1st line came out.

You think the guys who played all the offensive situations are more valuable than the matchup guys, I disagree.
I think Edler was a core piece, because he played in all situations: PP, PK, and match up 5 on 5. Hamhuis only played, as you say, a shutdown role. That’s a key piece to me, but not a core piece, because it’s easier to replace.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did you read the tweet? He said he is going to elaborate on Sunday in a letter

So why not just make his letter known on Sunday? What’s the point of this Tweet? He’s basically saying he’s not saying anything of importance until Sunday, right? This Tweet says nothing other than announce he’s saying something on Sunday.
It’s more of an advertisement for his coming letter than anything.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
So why not just make his letter known on Sunday? What’s the point of this Tweet? He’s basically saying he’s not saying anything of importance until Sunday, right? This Tweet says nothing other than announce he’s saying something on Sunday.

He’s a strange person

Reactions: Luckylarry

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Attention whore.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ugh. It’ll be a stupid letter about how he’s not happy they missed the playoffs but he’s happy about the development of some of the kids and he’s confident in sticking with Jim and the plan. He’s going to hitch his wagon to stupidity.

I agree with you about what Aquilini will say on Sunday. He can control Benning, and play GM himself without Benning telling him to piss off and keep his nose out of business he doesn’t understand.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I think Jimbo is either getting fired or getting supplanted by a new hire.

Good is probably something along the lines of "exciting young core". Bad is probably along the lines of yet another failed season likely without a top 3 pick to show for.
Eh I don't read that from it, unfortunately. I don't think he would have sent this tweet if he was going to fire Benning/demote him. I've been wrong in the past when it comes to Frank, though, so we'll see.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Eh I don't read that from it, unfortunately. I don't think he would have sent this tweet if he was going to fire Benning/demote him. I've been wrong in the past when it comes to Frank, though, so we'll see.

Yeah, best case I expect "we need to continue to make improvements" and maybe (hopefully) indicating the hiring of (search for) a new president.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Does Aquilini have the big character flaw of thinking he’s the smartest person in the room? I have no idea what he’s really like, but I get he thinks he’s smarter than others, so he gets too involved in things he really shouldn’t.
Have you read his emails to Tom Brady? Gives you a little insight into his insecurities and desires. Makes for a hilarious read.

Reactions: MS and Luckylarry

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
lol @ this still being a thread.

Aquaman's not going to say a damn thing. Blah blah blah, like the kids, blah blah blah, hope for the future, blah blah bling bling blah, have full confidence in our people moving forward. There ya go, saved you all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad