Confirmed with Link: Francesco Aquilini gives his thoughts on the season

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Are you surprised by some crazy people responding to the tone you usually post with? You are on the other end of the spectrum. Which is not any better
I never asked someone to kill himself or get cancer. If you think a tone is comparable with that, may I conclude you were one of those twitter handles?

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I never asked someone to kill himself or get cancer. If you think a tone is comparable with that, may I conclude you were one of those twitter handles?

When you use inflammatory language you are bound to attract people like that. I am not saying it is comparable, but don't act surprised when it happens to you.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
When you use inflammatory language you are bound to attract people like that. I am not saying it is comparable, but don't act surprised when it happens to you.

There's no excuse for that kind of answer. Funny that you didn't deny something and you're still trying to say it is my fault. That explains a lot and shows the man's character, I guess.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Using deductive reasoning on Benning's brain... I predict Aquilini will say he's not happy with the defensive depth. Benning has been hellbent on improving defensive depth the last few weeks... like he's been woken up from a deep slumber with a horse head on his bed.

Benning is a wet, yellow thong on a beach in Ibiza.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Using deductive reasoning on Benning's brain... I predict Aquilini will say he's not happy with the defensive depth. Benning has been hellbent on improving defensive depth the last few weeks... like he's been woken up from a deep slumber with a horse head on his bed.

Benning is a wet, yellow thong on a beach in Ibiza.

I agree. Benning’s tenure as our GM has been really smelly.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, best case I expect "we need to continue to make improvements" and maybe (hopefully) indicating the hiring of (search for) a new president.
"So Dean, you know we'd love to have you over here..."
"Franco, I already told you. I'm happy here in Philly. But if you really wanted me as Pres in Vancouver, I'd have to do it my way. No interference, and I'd need to bring in my own guys."
"Well, we feel that Benning is doing a bang-up job here, and we'd like you to continue to work with him..."
*click*
"Hello? Dean? Hello?"

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Athletties implying that there's a decent (decent, not excellent) chance the vacant President position is addressed tomorrow.

Dean Lombardi, Ron Francis and Ken Holland are the three names mentioned. Seems to be implied that Holland would be the most likely one.

this shit is like when i was 5 years old on christmas eve

Last edited:
Reactions: cookiefest

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Athletties implying that there's a decent (decent, not excellent) chance the vacant President position is addressed tomorrow.

Dean Lombardi, Ron Francis and Ken Holland are the three names mentioned. Seems to be implied that Holland would be the most likely one.

this **** is like when i was 5 years old on christmas eve

Aren't Holland and Lombardi still under contract? Francis is available but not sure why Holland would leave Motown unless he's aware they're planning to replace him with Yzerman?

If these are the three potential candidates, I'd personally like to see Francis get another shot. Followed by Lombardi then Holland.

Reactions: HSD19

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I wonder what the moron is going to say. Hopefully he comments on the fact that he has turned this franchise into a clown show.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I wonder what the moron is going to say. Hopefully he comments on the fact that he has turned this franchise into a clown show.
You know, it really is tragic. Eight years ago, we were getting ready for the SCF. Now...look what you did, Aquaman.

This is what happens when you lose faith. And that's what Aquaman did, make no mistake. All 2010/11, what did we all hear? How everyone hated us and it was all our fault. Over and over and over again. Now, hey! We've got a few good young guys! Isn't that niiiiiiiice?! Nobody has to listen, nobody has to take the Canucks seriously. Which is what they all wanted, and Aquaman played along. He bought it like a needy high school kid. He caved in to peer pressure. When will he grow the balls to rise up again?

Guess we'll all wait and see.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
A sneak preview of Aquilini's upcoming tweets:

Just want to add a few personal thoughts to what Jim, Travis and the players said to the media this morning.

First of all, I want to thank all our loyal Canucks fans.

I also want to personally apologize to you, because I understand how disappointed you are with how the season went.

I know you’re disappointed, but, believe me, nobody is more disappointed than me!

Injuries played a role all year, but of course every team deals with injuries. As we build depth, we’ll handle them better.

This season our young players learned important lessons about how hard it is to win at the NHL level.

Now everybody in the organization needs to commit to the hard work and sacrifices needed to get better.

From me personally, from the ownership group on down, we all need to look in the mirror and ask ourselves, how can I help this team get better?

It will happen. Late in the season we started to see the kind of team we are becoming—young, fast, gritty, all out hockey.

We’ll be a younger team, but a well-coached, well-managed young team can mature and come together quickly.

Look at Carolina and the Islanders this year, making the playoffs. Look at Chicago in the second half of the season. Look at our last 10 games.

Our goal is to be a perpetual contender. That journey starts right now. This city deserves another run at the Stanley Cup.

We’ve got the right management, first-rate coaching staff, and more great young talent than in a long time.

Thank you again for your support. It means everything to the players and everyone in the organization. We are all Canucks!

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Expecting the following words/phrases
1. Core
2. Stanley cup
3. Young
4. Right way
5. Patience
6. Injuries
7. Excited
8. Draft and developmenent
9. Future
10. Draft

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Francesco Aqualini...today

"At training camp in Whistler last September, GM Jim Benning and Head Coach Travis Green told me this was going to be a building year for the Canucks. A year to establish a new culture and a faster, more urgent style of play. They felt compromising the future for any short-term gain wasn't worthwhile. I agreed.
We had specific goals this season. Forge a new identity, one not shaped by the Sedins. Identify the foundational players we can build around. Have our young guys, supported by veterans, come together and develop and learn just how tough it is to win in this league.
Play hard, entertaining hockey, Never give up, battle every night. I thought we did that, almost every game. We played with a lot of heart. You could see chemistry develop and guys playing for each other.
Don't get me wrong. I hate losing. I don't like finishing where we did in the standings. When you've come within a game of winning it all, that's the standard. I'm disappointed that we slipped out of playoff contention after hanging tough most of the season.
It's easy to point fingers, but it's more productive to focus on progress and the big picture. Of course we will do a careful evaluation of the team and the whole franchise. But that's done to inform the future. We're looking ahead, and I saw many exciting positives this year.
Jacob Markstrom developing into a true number 1 goaltender, and Thatcher Demko coming along nicely.
Bo Horvat maturing into a skilled, durable leader who can play with anybody, against anybody, in any situation.
Brock Boeser becoming a consistent offensive producer while developing his two-way game.
Elias Pettersson stepping into the league with more skill and excitement than any Canuck rookie since Pavel Bure.
Quinn Hughes providing an instant upgrade to our offensive game from the back end, looking right at home in the NHL from his first shift.
Other young players gaining experience, growing noticeably, solidifying their spots on the roster.
Jim and his group brought in some valuable additions who strengthen our team and give us needed depth. And they signed some young prospects we think will help us down the line.
I'm confident we're on the right path. Do I wish we were further along? Of course. But I recognize it's a long process, it requires patience, there are no shortcuts.
We're absolutely determined to get back among the elite teams, capable of challenging for the Stanley Cup year after year. As an owner and lifelong Canucks fan, that's what I'm committed to.
That means we've all got serious work to do-everybody in the organization, on and off the ice, pulling together, focused on the long-term goal. I believe we're a big step closer than we were a year ago. And we'll be another step closer a year from now.
We're all looking forward to the entry draft here at Rogers Arena in June, and the many celebrations we've got planned for an unforgettable 50th season. Expect more news on that front soon.
We're moving in the right direction. The ownership group-my father Luigi, brothers Roberto and Paolo, and myself-are committed to providing the resources needed to build the team that Vancouver fans deserve.
Thank you for your passion and your continuing support.
-Francesco Aquilini, Owner and Governor
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Link Share
  • Email Share

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad