Confirmed with Link: Francesco Aquilini gives his thoughts on the season

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The Boss said today he will give his thoughts on the season next week via twitter.

does not sound like Benning and friends will be fired.

Of course not because it would make zero sense to fire Benning. He’s done a better job than could reasonably expected from anyone given what he inherited. He also set up the team very nicely for the future. Our young core is becoming the envy of the league without any lottery picks. That’s unprecedented. Benning was ahead of his time in the sense that he understood that drafting would become more and more important because of the CBA and now it’s absolutely the most important part of a team’s operations. The fact that our Canucks are among the leaders in amateur scouting performance, that’s being the state of the art in the most important area of hockey operations, not something trivial like sleeping, is how your franchise gets a real competitive advantage in a league with 31 soon to be 32 teams and finds a way to sustainably compete for the cup every year.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Of course not because it would make zero sense to fire Benning. He’s done a better job than could reasonably expected from anyone given what he inherited. He also set up the team very nicely for the future. Our young core is becoming the envy of the league without any lottery picks. That’s unprecedented. Benning was ahead of his time in the sense that he understood that drafting would become more and more important because of the CBA and now it’s absolutely the most important part of a team’s operations. The fact that our Canucks are among the leaders in amateur scouting performance, that’s being the state of the art in the most important area of hockey operations, not something trivial like sleeping, is how your franchise gets a real competitive advantage in a league with 31 soon to be 32 teams and finds a way to sustainably compete for the cup every year.

The second worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years is a good job according to you? Hitting on only 2 of his 4 top 10 picks is a good job according to you? That's some very low standards.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'd imagine the tweet will sound something like...

"Thanks to all the fans for supporting us into winning yet another great winning season! We'll continue with our winning ways and win more for years to come! #Winning"

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Somebody show him the correlation between meddling owners and crappy results.

its been well documented in a variety of sports leagues.
He’s better than a meddling owner that doesn’t spend money (Ballard). Course, that’s like getting a voluntary enima covered by your employers medical plan as in the end you still.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He’s better than a meddling owner that doesn’t spend money (Ballard). Course, that’s like getting a voluntary enima covered by your employers medical plan as in the end you still.

Both are just the worst.
If you are an owner and you want to stand on that podium with a championship one day.

Don't get involved in player personnel..... period

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To be fair, Aquilini simply says "next week I'll share some thoughts on this season." It doesn't state he will be sharing them on Twitter vs. a press conference.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Ive gone a bit back in forth but I think it would be best for the org to let Benning go. Its time, no more off season disasters which will unfortunately be Bennings rep here

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Here's a fun question: what if Francesco pulls a Jerry Jones and names himself GM?

I think I'd take it over Benning tbh.

Reactions: dwarf

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The second worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years is a good job according to you? Hitting on only 2 of his 4 top 10 picks is a good job according to you? That's some very low standards.

You sound like a broken record with this "worst team over the last 4 years" stuff which I'm not even sure is statistically accurate.

Like I said, Benning inherited a forward core whose offense would dry up and who would start to bleed goals defensively until they were among the least effective top lines in the league. AND they had NMC's. So what was Benning or anyone supposed to do about that?

Just to put it in perspective. When the Canucks were among the best teams in the league the Sedins were #1 in league scoring multiple times. When the Canucks were among the worst teams in the league the Sedins were #100 and #140 in league scoring. Notice a correlation?

I'm not blaming them at all by the way - injuries (f*** you to Duncan Keith and Martin Hanzal) and age related decline were factors but that's just the way it worked and the only alternative was to FORCIBLY TRADE them which is not how you treat people who gave as much to the city as the Twins did.

Onto the drafting, yes SMASHING picks like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes out of the park is amazing. Virtanen was a single, maybe a double if he can reach his potential - a very valuable NHLer who can impact the game with his tools. Juolevi is a flyball who's still up in the air - he could be a single, a double, a triple, or even a homerun depending on what he looks like in the NHL. No one is going to hit a homerun every at bat but notice how Benning doesn't strike out. That's the sign of a phenomenal drafter.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You sound like a broken record with this "worst team over the last 4 years" stuff which I'm not even sure is statistically accurate.

Like I said, Benning inherited a forward core whose offense would dry up and who would start to bleed goals defensively until they were among the least effective top lines in the league. AND they had NMC's. So what was Benning or anyone supposed to do about that?

Just to put it in perspective. When the Canucks were among the best teams in the league the Sedins were #1 in league scoring multiple times. When the Canucks were among the worst teams in the league the Sedins were #100 and #140 in league scoring. Notice a correlation?

I'm not blaming them at all by the way - injuries (**** you to Duncan Keith and Martin Hanzal) and age related decline were factors but that's just the way it worked and the only alternative was to FORCIBLY TRADE them which is not how you treat people who gave as much to the city as the Twins did.

Onto the drafting, yes SMASHING picks like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes out of the park is amazing. Virtanen was a single, maybe a double if he can reach his potential - a very valuable NHLer who can impact the game with his tools. Juolevi is a flyball who's still up in the air - he could be a single, a double, a triple, or even a homerun depending on what he looks like in the NHL. No one is going to hit a homerun every at bat but notice how Benning doesn't strike out. That's the sign of a phenomenal drafter.

I have to be a broken record, quoting facts, because other people seem to prefer ignoring the facts for their own made-up narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->