Confirmed with Link: Francesco Aquilini gives his thoughts on the season

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I said it. The owners and multiple people in the organization love the guy. He's adored within. No way they would fire him.

member 290103

The way I read it, he left the door open for a new president - he did not come out and say it, but he referred to adding whatever "resources" would be required and discussed doing a review of operations. Maybe I should read it again.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Maybe the scenario Sat talked about is a possibility then ? Someone comes in as the President of Hockey Ops leaving Benning to be reviewed through the next 6-9 months and the Aquilini's don't come across as making a knee jerk reaction.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
What the Canucks have in place right now is what should be expected from a team that has missed the playoffs four seasons in a row. Nearly every low-performing team (except the Kings maybe) can look at several young players and think "hey these guys will be good/better in the future, this season wasn't a throwaway".

Benning has performed no better than average to accumulate that talent, while getting fleeced in every other transaction and having little idea of what pieces are necessary to compliment the squad. The Oilers and Sabres are proof that you can't just tank your way into competitiveness unless you know how to manage assets, even when you luck into generational talent. Hawks didn't go all the way until their later draft picks blossomed and their contract structure allowed them to stack the squad; Pens kept struggling in the playoffs until they became a strong grinding team with solid goaltending; Kings turned around with clever trades that perfectly addressed their needs, the current Bolts squad is the culmination of years of outstanding management...

The one silver lining this season is that the Canucks didn't dig themselves deeper with the Sedins' retirement; at least the team is in position to move on from their era. But it's simply fiction to look at the forward depth and the blueline, then conclude "we'll be contenders sooner than later!".

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I have serious misgivings about going to games or getting a jersey because I don't want to give this pinhead anymore money.

Plus I'm philosophically opposed to financially reinforcing general incompetence.

Also what he says doesn't matter in regards to Benning. If ownership wants to score a high profile executive they will have to basically commit to staying out of hockey ops. Guys like Lombardi and Holland aren't coming otherwise.

So Benning's future really isn't an ownership issue.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Here’s the link to it. I love how he said “Patience” lol

If we’re going to full on rebuild through the draft, and have patience to let the young drafted guys develop into our new core, the why in the Sam hell don’t we thank properly and get higher picks?

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
looks like year #2 of no money being spent by me on this team until benning is gone and a competent hockey ops is in place. i normally purchase single game tix, center ice and merch. a drop in the bucket but for me it's a BIG drop

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I will bring this up when we sign Myers/Ferland/Edler to stupid contract

It’s pretty evident that if you’re going into free agency it’s sign the EK, Parnarin level elite players, or just stay the heck out. If we could magically get one or both of EK and Parnarin than that’s great. Otherwise, stay away. The second tier guys rarely live up to their contracts.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
It’s pretty evident that if you’re going into free agency it’s sign the EK, Parnarin level elite players, or just stay the heck out. If we could magically get one or both of EK and Parnarin than that’s great. Otherwise, stay away. The second tier guys rarely live up to their contracts.

Did you not read what Benning said? They aren’t going after the top guys. Ferland/Myers on NTC high term contracts incoming.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did you not read what Benning said? They aren’t going after the top guys. Ferland/Myers on NTC high term contracts incoming.

Sorry I guess I misread stuff. IMO going after second tier guys is stupid. Elite players drive play and lead teams to .cups. Second tier guys just suck up cap.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't know what you guys expected. This is a like a cookie cutter PR response. It's exactly what I thought it was going to be. A whole lot of nothing. He says it's a long process and to be patient but I wonder if he's going to take his own advice if we miss the playoffs next season. Doesn't he preach patience every year?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Sorry I guess I misread stuff. IMO going after second tier guys is stupid. Elite players drive play and lead teams to .cups. Second tier guys just suck up cap.

I 100% agree with you, but Benning has his heart set on a winger for sure, and most likely a defender. Now that he’s said he’s not going for top guys, you can basically guarantee at this point he’s overpaying for second tier guys, which is beyond dumb.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

Do your own research and do not take what a Benning hater says at face value. Benning said in his interview that he would only be going for high end UFAs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Do your own research and do not take what a Benning hater says at face value. Benning said in his interview that he would only be going for high end UFAs.

I’m just a bit concerned about what Benning thinks is a high end UFA? If it’s only Karlsson and Parnarin then I’m okay with that. If it’s Gardiner, Myers, and .gerlsn , I’m not happy.
And I don’t hate Benning. I just am very dissatisfied with his tenure.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->