Fox vs Chabot

Fox vs Chabot: Who do you take long term?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Chabot still for me. Fox is having an amazing year though. But Chabot has a better track record. I could change my view if Fox continues to play at this level next year.

Reactions: Sting

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Ill vote fox because of the season hes having. They are close, both have a bright future imo.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Chabot still for me. Fox is having an amazing year though. But Chabot has a better track record. I could change my view if Fox continues to play at this level next year.
Fox was nearly as good last year as a rookie just no one noticed. Tony D took away a lot of PP time from him otherwise his numbers would have really popped.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Hard not to pick Fox considering the godly season he's having

No disrespect to Chabot at all, but it seems like there's a bit of a localization bias from some of the posters here. People will catch on when they are forced to watch more than 8 teams.

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
Hard not to pick Fox considering the godly season he's having

No disrespect to Chabot at all, but it seems like there's a bit of a localization bias from some of the posters here. People will catch on when they are forced to watch more than 8 teams.
To be fair, Fox is in a much better position to succeed

Reactions: Bileur

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
I dont understand the thought process to saying one player has a better track record than the other. Who is the better player right now?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Track record? Fox's 107 game track record is better than anything we've ever seen from Chabot. By a nontrivial margin.

It goes without saying that Fox is so much better defensively that it's not even worth discussing, so I assume Chabot's track record your referencing is based on offensive production?

Since Fox entered the league, he's posted 13g 78p in 107 games, good for 6th among all defenseman. Over that same span, Chabot has scored 10g 63p in 108 games.

Keep in mind Fox was a rookie for the majority of those games, and was getting limited ice time for like the first half of the season. Chabot played >500 minutes more ice time since Fox's debut and was still outproduced handedly.

Since the end of December 2019 (as he started getting more ice time and PP opportunities), Fox has 61p in 68gp. That puts him first among all defenseman (carlson is next with 57 points). Chabot had 39 points in that span, and his career high is 55 points in 70 games.

NHL Stats

When has Chabot ever done anything like that? Never, because he can't create offense like Fox.

Combined with Fox's aforementioned defensive superiority, and this is not even remotely close.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
To be more fair, Fox is just a significantly better hockey player.

I don't get the love affair with Chabot. He's pretty much Mike Green. Talented with the puck but man does he cough the puck up a lot in the middle of his zone.

All that matters is size, draft position skating ability to a lot of posters. It doesn't matter than Fox outproduces Chabot offensively and isn't a defensive sieve like Chabot. He's only 5'11, a third round pick and can't outstate Chabot in a straight line.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Hockey Fanatik

Mar 28, 2021
To be more fair, Fox is just a significantly better hockey player.

I don't get the love affair with Chabot. He's pretty much Mike Green. Talented with the puck but man does he cough the puck up a lot in the middle of his zone.
As of today I can agree with this; but it doesnt mean we have to ignore reality, and Fox's team situation is far better as currently constructed.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

This might be one of the worst player comparisons I've seen on this site.

Stick to pumping Johnny Gaudreau's tires and stop commenting on players you clearly haven't watched.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yikes. Chabot is stellar. When Ottawa gets slightly good again he'll reign among the best again; he's the only legitimate top 4 D on a putrid defensive team until the emergence of Zub, who himself is solid number 4 and nothing more. Chabot has entered pilot mode last little while cause of how much Ottawa relies on him for breakouts and he's been playing with bottom pairing defenders. Last two games we saw that elite level and remarkable ability from Chabot.

Comparing him to Green stylistically is an insult.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This might be one of the worst player comparisons I've seen on this site.

I've watched him play tons of hockey. He's got a lot of talent. Great skater and puck skills, sees the ice well, slippery through traffic, and isn't afraid to lead the rush or be first on the forecheck.

I'd say he's a hybrid of Green and Letang.

Comparing him to Green stylistically is an insult.

What? Why? Green was a point per game 25-26 minute defenseman in his prime.

Stylistically, they both have excellent hands in traffic and great pull and release wrist shots. They also both liked to carry the puck through traffic and come in very deep in the offensive zone.

I like Chabot's skating and vision a bit more, but Green probably had the better shot and was less adventurous with his breakouts. But defending really isn't either of their strengths.

It's not really insulting because it's not even remotely applicable.

I don't know why Rangers/US fans are losing their shit in this thread but apparently this poll is driving them nuts.

Since when is comparing a young offensive defenseman to one of the best scoring defenseman of an era an insult?

TIL Mike Green was crazy underrated. I know he wasn't a stalwart defender but in the modern NHL it helps to have guys who can handle the puck and make plays. Green and Chabot both excel there. But Chabot is not on Fox's level.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like Chabot's skating and vision a bit more, but Green probably had the better shot and was less adventurous with his breakouts. But defending really isn't either of their strengths.

TIL Mike Green was crazy underrated. I know he wasn't a stalwart defender but in the modern NHL it helps to have guys who can handle the puck and make plays. Green and Chabot both excel there.

Not an insult of his ability but strengths. Chabot's defense is really good. His biggest strength is his tracking of the puck, positional play, and then leading the breakout including skating it out. Green was really good in the pass and ability in the offensive zone.

Like NyQuil said, the comparison makes little sense.

Chabot's carelessness with the puck and nonchalant play with it sometimes is what gets him in trouble. Rarely gets walked/beat.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

TIL Mike Green was crazy underrated. I know he wasn't a stalwart defender but in the modern NHL it helps to have guys who can handle the puck and make plays. Green and Chabot both excel there.

Chabot can be an excellent off-the-puck defender and is relentless in terms of pursuing puck carriers in the defensive zone.

He's also surprisingly physical (laid out Zack Kassian tonight) and plays with a real chip on his shoulder, and is not afraid to mix it up around the net.

It's the kind of thing that doesn't show up in the highlights.

His flaw (because I'm being objective here, apparently Fox has none) in some of his worst performances this year is mental errors in terms of being too casual with the puck or errant passes.

Production wise, it's an absurd comparison because Ottawa has had virtually no veteran goal scorers on the team for the last two seasons.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Chabot can be an excellent off-the-puck defender and is relentless in terms of pursuing puck carriers in the defensive zone.

He's also surprisingly physical (laid out Zack Kassian tonight) and plays with a real chip on his shoulder, and is not afraid to mix it up around the net.

It's the kind of thing that doesn't show up in the highlights.

His flaw (because I'm being objective here, apparently Fox has none) in some of his worst performances this year is mental errors in terms of being too casual with the puck or errant passes.

Not an insult of his ability but strengths. Chabot's defense is really good. His biggest strength is his tracking of the puck, positional play, and then leading the breakout including skating it out. Green was really good in the pass and ability in the offensive zone.

Like NyQuil said, the comparison makes little sense.

Chabot's carelessness with the puck and nonchalant play with it sometimes is what gets him in trouble. Rarely gets walked/beat.

I actually agree about his off the puck defending, especially in one on one scenarios. I'd say his defensive positioning is just okay, but that's something that should get better with experience.

I will say that being physical or mixing it up around the net aren't necessarily "defensive" attributes. Lidstrom hardly ever threw a body check. Chabot can sometimes take himself out of the play over pursuing the puck carrier trying to finish with a hit - but like I said that should improve with maturity.

But, as I referenced in this thread back in February, he has those Letang like brain farts on a pretty consistent basis. When he has a shift like that it creates a ton of chaos and leads to unexpected high danger chances against. It's reminiscent of Taylor Hall's erratic play, though not nearly as detrimental because Chabot is a much smarter player.

If he could cut down (significantly) on his careless defensive zone decision making, he'd be a pretty good all around defender. But because those types of mistakes can be so impactful, the frequency with which he makes them more than offsets his off the puck defending.

Me saying that Fox is significantly better than Chabot shouldn't be viewed as an insult or attack on Chabot. It's just that I feel like Fox has that generational hockey IQ that could make him one of the best defenders in the history of the game.

If you told me that he'd end his career with 5+ Norris trophies it wouldn't shock me in the least.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Chabot is more talented in terms of physical traits and is an absurdly good skater for his size.

Fox is much more poised with the puck and better defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad