Post-Game Talk: Fourteen. Pens/Jets Plus-Minus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
but yeah in 99% of situations dupuis shouldn't get moved down but this is jarome ****ing iginla we're talking about here. 2nd line looked like morrow is exactly what it needed. i would not muck around with that line. and like people are saying, sid and iggy are made for each other. sorry duper, you deserve to be on the first line but you'll be fine in your old role.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ 14 in a row! Awesome!
+ 1st line was just amazing, Duper 2+0, Sid 0+2 and Koon 1+1, not bad.
+ 2nd line played so well. I like this line.
+ Vokoun was awesome, shotout!
+ Murray, really good defenseman.
+ PK, and shorthanded goal!
+ 3rd line and 4th line.
+ Everything.

- Nothing.

LGP! :yo::handclap:

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Morrow is ideal for the third line.

I'm 99% sure Iggy will be with Malkin and Neal. That line will be surreal.

My thing, if Morrow created that much space for them, why not let it be? Im sure iginla on the top line will create space for Sid. I know it's tough to break up that top line, but I truly think it's the best thing. Although, no matter what happens, I could care less with the players we have they can play anywhere.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto

It feels to me like that makes the most sense at the moment. At least as a first thing to try out.

Morrow - Sutter - Cooke

Le shutdown line. Have fun playing against them.

Neal - Malkin - Iginla

Le artillery. Bring your earplugs.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

The third line doesn't get enough zone time for him to do his thing IMO. Dupuis will help it way more than morrow.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Somewhere along this streak, defensively, they've found what works for them. A big part of it is forward help and back pressure and more aggressiveness with clearing bodies out in front of the net. On the PK, they just turned the switch to being more aggressive like they used to do. Very simple stuff that took way too long to see come to fruition.

I really like Morrow on Malkin's line.

For me it's simple, Morrow or Dupuis have to play on the 3rd to make room for Iginla.

Whether it's:
Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla
or
Neal-Malkin-Iginla

Either way, i'm fine with whatever DB tries to start out.

Bingo.

Still want to see how Morrow does over time, but there's no way Bylsma ***** up what to do with Iginla, because he can't **** it up if he tried. IMO, he's going to do a lot of juggling. You'll see Iggy with Geno and then with Sid in a game. You'll see Duper with Sid sometimes and then with L3. You'll see Morrow between L2 and L3. Really, I could see this continuing throughout the playoffs. Sid with Kunitz. Geno with Neal. Sutter with Cooke. Iggy, Duper, and Morrow see themselves in different situations.

****, someone said Vokoun must feel like he died and went to hockey heaven. Think about Iggy. On the one hand, he could be playing with the hottest duo in hockey. On the other hand, his 'booby prize' is to play with Geno and Neal against second defensive units. Now THAT is dying and going to hockey heaven.

Krom

Nov 30, 2002
Visit site
Every time Murray had to turn and skate, his lack of speed was glaring. But he keeps himself in pretty good position and clearly likes to hit people. I was impressed with his shot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Our powerplay should be interesting...

Morrow is everything we've needed in the slot. Iginla is everything we've needed on the left wall.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Great game tonight. A power play would have been nice, especially after Kane took a shot at the ref. A minus to Errey talking about great defense and puck support right before the 60-foot breakaway.

I wouldn't want to break up the first line. I think Iginla with Malkin and Neal would be even better than Morrow/Malkin/Neal, but I don't think Morrow would be a good addition to the third line. From what I saw tonight, reports of his lack of speed are true, but I liked his play around the net. Plus, I don't think he's used to being set up the way he was two or three times in the first period or two, and hopefully he'd get used to playing with Malkin.

Iginla on the third line? Wouldn't be surprised as goofy as that sounds.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Every time Murray had to turn and skate, his lack of speed was glaring. But he keeps himself in pretty good position and clearly likes to hit people. I was impressed with his shot.

His value will be even greater once the refs stop calling holding penalties in the playoffs like they do every year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I'd prefer 14-87-12 and 10-71-18, but Neal-Malkin-Iggy might be the greatest second line ever...

In a few games the Morrow honeymoon will wear off and it will be obvious he is a third liner. The first game agt a well run 1-2 where Malkin is having trouble in the NZ, it will be a light bulb moment that Iggy is much more valuable there.

Iggy goes to the net to, no worries.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I think Dupuis could bring a spark to that 3rd line. A big one.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Murray validated his scouting assessment as a slow skater, but I dont think it's as bad as I feared. He may be slightly faster than Hal USS Gill.

nhindian

Jul 4, 2009
Our powerplay should be interesting...

Morrow is everything we've needed in the slot. Iginla is everything we've needed on the left wall.

I love Kunitz but maybe we'll finally have a proper netfront presence and screener

Martin - Malkin - Neal - Iginla - Sid

Niskanen - Despres - Sutter - Morrow - Kunitz

oh my

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
One thing is for sure, we lost Staal but we'll still have three great lines that can score. The luckiest guy in all of this might be Sutter. No matter what he just got an upgrade on his wings.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Morrow-Sutter-Cooke will spend a lot of time in the offensive zone.

As for Neal-Geno-Iggy, that line would be surreal in the abstract. What makes it absolutely nuts to ponder is that they'd see second defensive pairings.

I've always said that a good part of playoff hockey is about exploiting matchup advantages. Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis and Neal-Geno-Iggy would be the penultimate playoff matchup advantage.

How would you defend THAT? There's no way you'd put a second pairing on the current Sid line. BUT, how can you let a Neal-Geno-Iggy line feast on that?

IMO, THAT may be a reason Bylsma isn't in a rush to touch Sid's line. Sid deserves to play with Iggy. BUT, right now, with how Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis is going, Iggy with Geno and Neal exploits most the matchups and thereby gives the team the best chance to go further in the playoffs.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't understand how people can use the logic that Neal-Malkin-Iginla would look even better than Morrow-Malkin-Neal but don't see that Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla would look better than Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Missed the game. Blah. Kind of hate being in a different time zone sometimes...

Can anyone give me a recap of how Murray looked? Any big hits? Positioning errors? I keep reading that Morrow looked good tonight on the 2nd line, can anyone elaborate?

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site

That stood out to me too. I've watched him quite a bit in SJ, but that was something glaring today (not sure why I never noticed it that much before). However, like you said, he was aware of it so kept himself in good enough position that it wasn't an issue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The third line doesn't get enough zone time for him to do his thing IMO. Dupuis will help it way more than morrow.

That's because TK is shooting it around the boards every shift.j/k... Sort of.

Morrow with Sutter and Cooke will do some damage I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad